Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

FireMrshlBill posted:

Does the HD retrovision SNES cable work with a RGB modded N64? Their site basically says untested and no guarantees on modded consoles that aren't natively supported.

Yeah, you should be fine. I did this RGB mod and it works great. It even displays on my Vizio while the SNES isn't supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Phantasium posted:

I bought that Hyperkin SNES mouse and it seems to work really well.

Tested it with Mario Paint, Sim Ant, King Arthur's World, T2, and Shien's Revenge.

Mario Paint was the best, since it has mouse speed options and you can set it to better match your movements, the others not so much though that's probably just because of the original peripheral they were designed for. King Arthur's World was a bit slow on the take, though Sim Ant is pretty nice. And then the other two were just me dicking around looking for mouse games on my flashcart so those games just kind of suck to begin with, of note is the menu on Shien being so finicky that it was drat near impossible to select the options menu before it went back to the attract mode.
Here's my thoughts:
  • The connector is an incredibly tight fight in my SNES mini. I have to push it in hard, and getting it out involves a lot of tugging and wiggling. (stop laughing)
  • It's kinda large. It doesn't fit my hand comfortably if I try to rest my fingertips on the indents they put on the two buttons. I was expecting it to be about 80% the size it actually is.
  • The red LED isn't shielded at all, so the whole top lights up bright red as the light bleeds right through the plastic.
  • It tracks incredibly well and accurately, like you'd expect a modern optical mouse to. The original SNES ball mouse can't even come close.
Worth it for $20, I'd say. The accuracy and smooth movement really put it above the stock mouse, even with the mentioned issues.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Monopthalmus posted:

What's the battery situation like for a modded OG GBA? Are you guys just using rechargeables and swapping them as needed? How many hours are you getting with the new screen?

Just Eneloops. I haven't clocked battery life or anything but it's not often enough that I need to worry about it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

xamphear posted:

Here's my thoughts:
  • The connector is an incredibly tight fight in my SNES mini. I have to push it in hard, and getting it out involves a lot of tugging and wiggling. (stop laughing)
  • It's kinda large. It doesn't fit my hand comfortably if I try to rest my fingertips on the indents they put on the two buttons. I was expecting it to be about 80% the size it actually is.
  • The red LED isn't shielded at all, so the whole top lights up bright red as the light bleeds right through the plastic.
  • It tracks incredibly well and accurately, like you'd expect a modern optical mouse to. The original SNES ball mouse can't even come close.
Worth it for $20, I'd say. The accuracy and smooth movement really put it above the stock mouse, even with the mentioned issues.

Yeah I agree with all those. I don't think I've ever gotten a third-party connector to not be incredibly snug but then I've also not bought every third party controller for every system either. It just seems like that's a recurring trend for me.

It really looks more like a mouse older than the SNES mouse just because of how stupidly large it is.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

Does the HD retrovision SNES cable work with a RGB modded N64? Their site basically says untested and no guarantees on modded consoles that aren't natively supported.

Can confirm it does.

Also I got my Action Replay disc in today and the SD-Memory card is showing Swiss and GBI...but the controller is bad and not working right. And I can't get another one until this loving thunderstorm passes. :smith:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I use eneloops as well and get probably 20 hours or so. Enough that I don't even think about the last time I charged it. Managed to beat Zero Mission on then continue playing off and on for a month before I charged up again.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Thanks for the battery info, that really pushed my over the edge on it. Really remarkable that that system can get so much life out of some AAs.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Monopthalmus posted:

Thanks for the battery info, that really pushed my over the edge on it. Really remarkable that that system can get so much life out of some AAs.

If you get some high capacity rechargable AAs you will hardly ever think about charging it. I have a set of four and just rotate but with the infrequency that I actually have to charge them, I am never really stuck without a charge.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
So I had recently picked up a few SNES consoles in various states of disrepair to use for a shell on a Retropie setup. Turned out one of them, which was sold as, "powers on, does not read cartridges" was an odd motherboard revision. It still had 2 chips, but was model number SNS-RGB-CPU-02. A few other slight differences, like the eject button had a slightly different bracket, and the word Eject was embossed on the button instead of printed in white like the others. And the cartridge slot wasn't two pieces like on the SNS-GPM models I had taken apart, it was all one piece.

I discovered my childhood SNES was dead after trying to test out my controllers, and after messing with that one a little, I was able to get it going. The picture was actually pretty nice, even with the old composite cables.

So I guess now I'm going to have to de-yellow one of the shells I've got, and maybe get a set of component cables to hook it up to my Panasonic trinitron CRT.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I might be moving in the next month and even though there are no stairs or elevation changes of any kind I might not bother trying to bring my bigass Trinitron with me. I might just get a PVM later. gently caress moving that huge thing. Moving it one ROOM over nearly killed us.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Cindy Shitbird posted:

I might be moving in the next month and even though there are no stairs or elevation changes of any kind I might not bother trying to bring my bigass Trinitron with me. I might just get a PVM later. gently caress moving that huge thing. Moving it one ROOM over nearly killed us.

leaving behind my 36" trinitron on my last move was a sad moment indeed...but i lived upstairs and that fucker was like 300+ lbs so gently caress that lol

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

mycophobia posted:

leaving behind my 36" trinitron on my last move was a sad moment indeed...but i lived upstairs and that fucker was like 300+ lbs so gently caress that lol

Yeah, figuring out what the hell to do about my 36" Triniton is gonna be a big issue when I eventually move. I'd replace it with a smaller one but 36 inchers seem to be the only CRTs people post on craigslist. Also in my neck of the woods PVMs are non-existent so that option is out unless I get insanely lucky.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Paying for movers is a great use of money. I haven't moved my own crap since my wife and I moved in together when we were dating and I didn't want to haul all of my poo poo and all of her poo poo (including a 200lbs dresser). A 2 bedroom apartment worth of stuff would cost you <$500 if it is a local move. Heck, I moved a 3000 sq ft house worth of poo poo for $800. Getting a 20" PVM these days is $250+ if you can find one, so put that into perspective. I'd keep the Trinitron and pay someone to move my poo poo and save my back. A 100lbs 27" Trinitron won't bother them. Though a 300lbs 30"+Trinitron may need a heads up when you book them so they have the dollies needed to move it.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 13, 2017

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Movers are definitely an option, but if I'm going to pay someone to move it for me, I begin to wonder if putting that money toward a framemeister and tossing the crt would be a better use of my cash.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Zonekeeper posted:

Movers are definitely an option, but if I'm going to pay someone to move it for me, I begin to wonder if putting that money toward a framemeister and tossing the crt would be a better use of my cash.

It's a super Bourgie thing to say, but movers are worth it for the whole package, beyond just one heavy rear end TV. Packing into boxes sucks, but you've gotta do it either way, and not having to haul a bunch of bulky furniture down two flights of stairs is well worth the cost, especially once you've done it a few times in moves and know how utterly spent you are for the next week.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Zonekeeper posted:

Ya, I guess it depends on how much stuff you have. If you ware post-college with just a dorm/bedroom worth of stuff, then ya it wouldn't be worth it. But once you hit full apartment level of stuff and more, it starts to go from a luxury to a wise use of money (provided you can afford it).

I haven't checked on Framemeister prices since they stopped being manufactured and prices shot up, figured I'd wait for the next big thing to come out and get that, or get a used Framemeister. So I guess it depends on that, whether your consoles are RGB ready (though upscaling component and s-video is still good), etc.

Maybe see if another gamer on craigslist in your area will come get it at least. I just hate hearing about CRTs getting trashed, especially the better quality ones.

Shlomo Palestein posted:

It's a super Bourgie thing to say, but movers are worth it for the whole package, beyond just one heavy rear end TV. Packing into boxes sucks, but you've gotta do it either way, and not having to haul a bunch of bulky furniture down two flights of stairs is well worth the cost, especially once you've done it a few times in moves and know how utterly spent you are for the next week.

Haha, if paying movers so you don't gently caress up your back is bougie, then call me Nicholas II

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

FireMrshlBill posted:

I haven't checked on Framemeister prices since they stopped being manufactured and prices shot up

I only recently started thinking about getting into the Framemeister game and didn't know this was a thing. How much do they cost currently? What are they "supposed" to cost when the supply isn't so limited? Do we expect a new run of them at some point?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shlomo Palestein posted:

It's a super Bourgie thing to say, but movers are worth it for the whole package, beyond just one heavy rear end TV.
If you've got your organization down semi well (packed everything in corresponding, labelled boxes), movers are totally worth it.

The luxury of having some folks empty our the old place and then drop the boxes into your new place, and in some cases reassemble your furniture and poo poo, is a great use of money at a time when you'll probably be stressed over a dozen other things.

Not having to move a heavy rear end prehistoric TV when you're trying to figure out what's wrong with the furnace or trying to coordinate Water/Power/Cable services is great.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I got like halfway through Mario's Picross on my everdrive gba and all the progress on my save got deleted. :argh:

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Breadallelogram posted:

I got like halfway through Mario's Picross on my everdrive gba and all the progress on my save got deleted. :argh:

Its picross, probably would be one of the least devastating save loses since there are never enough picross puzzles. Also, didn't know there was a mario picross on gba, need to check it out.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Tree Dude posted:

I only recently started thinking about getting into the Framemeister game and didn't know this was a thing. How much do they cost currently? What are they "supposed" to cost when the supply isn't so limited? Do we expect a new run of them at some point?

I knew they shot up to $600 in the initial scare after it was announced they stopped making them. They were around $330-$380 normally depending on stock. Looks like they are back down to $430 range. Solaris Japan still has it listed for $320+ shipping but says "will ship once in stock" but not sure how that is since I thought the last manufacturing run was in January or February.

They are done manufacturing them for good, so no new runs. Micomsoft may release a newer upscaler in the same size/price range to replace it, but I haven't heard any news. There are others, like that one open source one or the more expensive upscalers, but I haven't spent much time on it since I had that PVM for awhile that I just recently sold since it didn't work in my set up and I was using my CRT anyway.

edit: Thinking about it myself, at this point I probably will just stick with my CRT until more HDMI+upscale mods come out for the rest of the consoles and become cheaper.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 13, 2017

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

FireMrshlBill posted:

Its picross, probably would be one of the least devastating save loses since there are never enough picross puzzles. Also, didn't know there was a mario picross on gba, need to check it out.

It's the original GB one, sorry to disappoint. I think maybe I cut the power too quick after finishing a puzzle last night. I'm just going to play all the levels again, but I was looking forward to getting to the really difficult ones!

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I got a framemeister from Solaris about a month ago. I suspect they're still being made, its just Micromsoft is gonna run out of parts eventually.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought the original reason that the XRGB was discontinued was that Micomsoft was going to come out with a 4k upscaler or something of that nature.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Got my Gameboy Player working with GBI. :toot: What the button prompt you need to get the black and white color for Gameboy games, as the default color it usually picks don't look that great.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
So if I wanted to try buying a Framemeister from Solaris which one do I want? They have like 4 different products listed. Do they take different types of SCART cables or something? which are easiest to get?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Rirse posted:

Got my Gameboy Player working with GBI. :toot: What the button prompt you need to get the black and white color for Gameboy games, as the default color it usually picks don't look that great.
Assuming it's just the stock GBC palettes, I think it's Left+B.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Nate RFB posted:

I thought the original reason that the XRGB was discontinued was that Micomsoft was going to come out with a 4k upscaler or something of that nature.

I thought this was speculation. The original tweet by Micomsoft said that one of their chip manufacturers was ceasing production on an essential IC in Feb of this year.

https://twitter.com/MicomsoftX/status/804226382259634176

Tree Dude posted:

So if I wanted to try buying a Framemeister from Solaris which one do I want? They have like 4 different products listed. Do they take different types of SCART cables or something? which are easiest to get?

You want a framemeister with a SCART adapter probably, the other big option is a JP21 adapter which is less common on RGB cables in the West.

edit: Looks like two of the listings are for EU customers wishing to avoid import red tape.

Nancy fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 13, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Shadow Hog posted:

Assuming it's just the stock GBC palettes, I think it's Left+B.

Yay that worked.

By the way, what is the GC Video? I saw mentions of it in the My Life in Gaming video about the Gamecube, but it not out yet.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FireMrshlBill posted:

I knew they shot up to $600 in the initial scare after it was announced they stopped making them. They were around $330-$380 normally depending on stock. Looks like they are back down to $430 range. Solaris Japan still has it listed for $320+ shipping but says "will ship once in stock" but not sure how that is since I thought the last manufacturing run was in January or February.

I believe the last manufacturing run of chips was January, but the expectation was that they had enough chips to last the year. I ordered one from Solaris at the end of May and got it at the end of the June, so they're definitely still delivering.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Got the GB Advance last night with some games.

Over half of them were pirated/combo carts. For some reason one of the legit ones, Final Fantasy Tactics won't work. It shows the Gameboy splash screen and chime, but no Nintendo logo. I've given both the cartridge and cartridge slot a blow out with a can of compressed air and rubbed a cotton bud over the contacts and still nothing.

I'll need to replace the silicon pad under the D-Pad as pressing down on it sometimes doesn't work, and feels really mushy. Probably also do the AGS-101 screen mod on it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How hard is it to get a PS2 online? Specifically to play MGO, there are privately hosted dedicated servers to keep the game up but can I just get a modem adapter or whatever and still have that process work

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

In Training posted:

How hard is it to get a PS2 online? Specifically to play MGO, there are privately hosted dedicated servers to keep the game up but can I just get a modem adapter or whatever and still have that process work

Don't all the PS2 Slims got the ethernet adapter built in?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rirse posted:

Don't all the PS2 Slims got the ethernet adapter built in?

Son of a bitch I never even checked, you're right.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

In Training posted:

Son of a bitch I never even checked, you're right.

Even if you had a fat, the network adapter (which you should already have in order to boot games from OpenPS2Loader off a hard disk or SD card) will work the same.

You Am I posted:

Got the GB Advance last night with some games.

Over half of them were pirated/combo carts. For some reason one of the legit ones, Final Fantasy Tactics won't work. It shows the Gameboy splash screen and chime, but no Nintendo logo. I've given both the cartridge and cartridge slot a blow out with a can of compressed air and rubbed a cotton bud over the contacts and still nothing.

I'll need to replace the silicon pad under the D-Pad as pressing down on it sometimes doesn't work, and feels really mushy. Probably also do the AGS-101 screen mod on it.

ya, usually when that happens, you need to reinsert the cart or give a good clean. Try some alcohol and cotton swab and really give it a good cleaning. If you have the driver bits to open the cart, maybe do that so you can really get to the contacts. If other games work fine, then it is just that cart. While you have it open you can inspect for any corrosion or burnt out circuit/components.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 14, 2017

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

FireMrshlBill posted:

ya, usually when that happens, you need to reinsert the cart or give a good clean. Try some alcohol and cotton swab and really give it a good cleaning. If you have the driver bits to open the cart, maybe do that so you can really get to the contacts. If other games work fine, then it is just that cart. While you have it open you can inspect for any corrosion or burnt out circuit/components.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try over the weekend

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I emailed Solaris Japan about the XRGB stock and this was their reply:

"Thank you for your message.

The XRGB is currently available and ships within 24 hours.
It is true that the device will be discontinued, but stock is expected to last until next year.

A successor is currently not in development, but considered for a release around 2019.

If you have any other questions, please let us know. :)

Best regards,
Max"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

Even if you had a fat, the network adapter (which you should already have in order to boot games from OpenPS2Loader off a hard disk or SD card) will work the same.

I just use PS2 discs. I plugged in a ethernet cable and it worked but I got to the point where I needed to start forwarding ports to connect to the MGO1 private servers and gave up.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Can anyone with an OSSC provide some opinions on it. I know there are reviews around but I trust the goonpinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Regarding Framemeister, The 'My Life In Gaming' guys learned from somebody with Micomsoft knowledge that the company only has basically one engineer, and they're not keen on the being in the upscaler business. Grain of salt, but doesn't sound good for an updated one.

• Locked thread