Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Backhand posted:

The concept of hero units put a bit of a foul taste in my mouth, but I am willing to give them a shot.

These guys sound more like a less passive version of Psi troops than Shen or Central, other than the first one you get has a fixed name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anime_Otaku posted:

These guys sound more like a less passive version of Psi troops than Shen or Central, other than the first one you get has a fixed name.

And they only get the fixed name if you enable the narrative missions which you can disable like you can with the Tower/the Nest with the other DLC.

And you can change them to whatever even if you get the fixed name/appearance ones. One of the streamers renamed the Skirmisher/Reaper Worf and Troi :v:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

RBA Starblade posted:

With how much they're adding I really want them to make the squadsize max at eight or ten without mods and just slam a bunch of enemy pods down, just so there's more to see and do. The big thing I'm worrying about is money/resource bloat for half of this stuff.
Yeah, with sparks, psis, and now 3 resistance classes, that leaves 9 total soldier classes (more if you have mods). My old standard was "one of each" just to keep things interesting but that's out the window now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, with sparks, psis, and now 3 resistance classes, that leaves 9 total soldier classes (more if you have mods). My old standard was "one of each" just to keep things interesting but that's out the window now.

I'm guessing thats why we got a fatigue system. To encourage you to rotate and use different class combinations.

Ditto the new mission types with non-standard deployments.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

You will be rotating people much more with the new fatigue system. Odds are 1 of each won't even cover you now.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You can rename Jane Kelly from the tutorial missions, yeah?

If they retooled Alien Hunters, will those story missions still be in the game? I'm now wondering how much "story" you can pack into this game.

My guess is that the Templars are going to be introduced in a mission where you go to them to get help busting Mr. Skrimisher out of Chosen jail.

edit: Personally, I like to run with doubled pod sizes but increased squad as well so I'll be able to do one of each just fine.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

You can rename Jane Kelly from the tutorial missions, yeah?

If they retooled Alien Hunters, will those story missions still be in the game? I'm now wondering how much "story" you can pack into this game.

My guess is that the Templars are going to be introduced in a mission where you go to them to get help busting Mr. Skrimisher out of Chosen jail.

Yeah, the Nest is still in the game. From how they described the retool, you have to attack certain facilities to trigger the rulers, they won't show up randomly before that, and the Alien Hunter narrative mission counts as the facility for the Viper King if its enabled. Otherwise its just assigned to a randomly generated facility like the Berserker Queen/Archon King.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Something else I'm going to agree with, please, please make the squad size bigger, I honestly found 6 pretty constricting between 8 base subclasses (though I tended to just stick to stabby Rangers and Grenadiers with explosive buffs with the other classes getting both versions used), 2 SPARK subclasses (though I don't think I varied them much, or ever built a second one) and Psi troops. I don't mind starting at 4 but being able to grab 2 extra slots at least would be nice maybe for hitting Major or Colonel.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

The problem with larger squad sizes is that for a lot of players having that many choices and that many troops to command in each mission would be overwhelming. It would also make every turn a lot longer and significantly change the pace of missions, and they would have to change maps and pods to deal with a much larger XCOM force.

Basically it's asking them to do a redesign of the entire game and I'm not sure they want to go that route. They're better off leaving that sort of thing to the modders.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Genuine question as I'm a console scrub and so I haven't got access to mods, but does giving the player 2 extra guys on a mission really change things that much, I suppose the fact that the modded LPs I've watched on YouTube have usually also got things that buff pod sizes probably answers my question already. But going off that, another thing I'm hoping for is the addition of mid/end game versions of Vipers, seriously I feel like one of the big weaknesses in the Alien Hunter armour is the fact that at a certain point Vipers basically just stop showing up ever, some new versions of other stuff that doesn't get expanded on much would be nice too, like Sectoids that don't rely on Psi attacks or mutons with more attack options.

Actually, I think that really, I just want the console version to get mods.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 13, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Anime_Otaku posted:

Genuine question as I'm a console scrub and so I haven't got access to mods, but does giving the player 2 extra guys on a mission really change things that much,

yes, absolutely. wicked them beats said why. it's why the AWC upgrades from 4 to 6 are such a huge deal. You have more targets for the enemy to pick from, more AP to use, more abilities to take, more potential damage per turn, more everything, which means in turn everything else has to be tuned to compensate.

There's also the other issue that more soldiers per turn isn't always a positive - at a point you run into diminishing returns and/or player fatigue from having to click fifty times to get a single turn done. There are real and good reasons why limiting squad size is actually beneficial to the player experience.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bogart posted:

"Commander, we're received word of a lone rebel adept at fighting the Lost. This 'Talahassee' only requests one thing: a Twinkie."

Yes, need this.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Psion posted:

There's also the other issue that more soldiers per turn isn't always a positive - at a point you run into diminishing returns and/or player fatigue from having to click fifty times to get a single turn done. There are real and good reasons why limiting squad size is actually beneficial to the player experience.

I miss the meat grinder x-com was originally.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Kids these days all getting attached to their soldiers like they aren't expendable resources smdh

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Zore posted:

I'm guessing thats why we got a fatigue system. To encourage you to rotate and use different class combinations.

Ditto the new mission types with non-standard deployments.

Fatigue was my favorite LW mechanic. OK maybe the air game was better.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

monster on a stick posted:

OK maybe the air game was better.
lol

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Sounds like Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn voice acting the two special soldiers.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Fatigue was my favorite LW mechanic. OK maybe the air game was better.

Its not as punishing at least and has interesting tradeoffs with quirks.

Also gives the Will stat a reason to exist.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Just watched a gameplay video of the expansion and the photobooth looks amazing.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Cnidaria posted:

Just watched a gameplay video of the expansion and the photobooth looks amazing.
Seriously I am going to waste SO much time with that.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Goddamn it I shouldn't have watched that, now I can't loving wait and it's a month and a half away :(

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Just noticed this little detail in the human enclosure you find during the last mission:

A kid's drawing of a Chrysalid and a Sectoid :smith:

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Has any of the footage shown the post- or mid- mission photo booth? Jake mentioned in that long video that it was more than just posing on the ship, but could commemorate deaths and victories or something.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

MF_James posted:

I miss the meat grinder x-com was originally.
I still don't get the whole "Rookie meat grinder" that so many people keep refering to the original Enemy Unknown. Hell, I bought the game at release and while I had a higher mortality rate than you have in the newer XCOM's it sure as hell wasn't the lemming death march either. I guess it's more telling of how people approached the gameplay rather than the game itself.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Sylphosaurus posted:

I still don't get the whole "Rookie meat grinder" that so many people keep refering to the original Enemy Unknown. Hell, I bought the game at release and while I had a higher mortality rate than you have in the newer XCOM's it sure as hell wasn't the lemming death march either. I guess it's more telling of how people approached the gameplay rather than the game itself.

They're referring more to the ORIGINAL XCom games from the early 90's.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

they mean the actual original xcom. :ssh:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Sylphosaurus posted:

The optimal strategy in og x-com was to equip a shitton of rookies with stunprods and charge the enemy. Even after that, casualties were really high

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Not really, casualties were high for like the first few battles but fall off sharply once you get lasers and armour.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sylphosaurus posted:

Do you mean the new EU or the original 90s EU? I'm referring to the actual original game.

Ravenfood posted:

The optimal strategy in og x-com was to equip a shitton of rookies with stunprods and charge the enemy. Even after that, casualties were really high

This guy gets it, first UFO you downed, you ran at it with 12(?) soldiers all wielding stun rods so you could capture the commander and get psi research going ASAP. After that, it was a meat grinder of idiots not being able to shoot the enemy. The preferred method of life after stunrods was for Hitler to blow up most of his squad with a well (terribly) aimed rocket.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Calling equipping everyone with stunrods the 'optimal strategy' in the original xcom is really weird.

Edit: commander rank sectoids don't start spawning for quite a while, and besides early psi isn't that great against your main threats of cyberdisks and chryssalids.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 13, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

MF_James posted:

This guy gets it, first UFO you downed, you ran at it with 12(?) soldiers all wielding stun rods so you could capture the commander and get psi research going ASAP. After that, it was a meat grinder of idiots not being able to shoot the enemy. The preferred method of life after stunrods was for Hitler to blow up most of his squad with a well (terribly) aimed rocket.

For anyone not familiar with this reference, just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4aB1Dw7KY

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Fangz posted:

Calling equipping everyone with stunrods the 'optimal strategy' in the original xcom is really weird.

I mean, you didn't give them ONLY stunrods, but everyone had one in their pack and you assaulted the alien ship, which held at most 3 aliens, with waves of men so you could stun and take home your treasure, the commander... Provided the commander didn't die in the crash landing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
leader class aliens could show up in large scouts but that was a pretty long odds gamble

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

TK-42-1 posted:

they mean the actual original xcom. :ssh:

MF_James posted:

Do you mean the new EU or the original 90s EU? I'm referring to the actual original game.
I meant the original from the 90's, it was called UFO: Enemy Unknown in my parts of the woods.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

cerious posted:

Alright, so the xpac is $40 on Steam. Cheapest I found is $29.51 on GMG, use the code 2017E318OFF for the full discount. Works for me in the states, dunno about other parts of the world.

Welp. Ever since I clicked that link, I can't get GMG to stop being german.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

marshmallow creep posted:

For anyone not familiar with this reference, just in case:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4aB1Dw7KY

Oh My God Hitler Why is really the best way to sum up Original X-COM.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Night10194 posted:

Oh My God Hitler Why is really the best way to sum up Original X-COM.

This image sums it up pretty well too, in my opinion.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
In original xcom if you got truly hosed by the rng then on the first alien turn an enemy with a blaster bomb would spot you and kill all twelve of your soldiers, most of which were still on the skyranger.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh man this game is way easier when you research some armour and weapons upgrades. i went from normal to plasma weapons in like two missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

MF_James posted:

I mean, you didn't give them ONLY stunrods, but everyone had one in their pack and you assaulted the alien ship, which held at most 3 aliens, with waves of men so you could stun and take home your treasure, the commander... Provided the commander didn't die in the crash landing.

That is definitely one thing I truly appreciated about Xenonauts was that they made that not only a possible but even game-supported thing. Not only do you have cattleprods for beating enemy aliems senseless, you have full on riot shields, and all soldiers have the ability to melee at any time with the (kinda hidden) hot-key "M" for the full "LAPD: STOP RESISTING!" experience.

If you know about "M" in Xenonauts and use a bunch of flashbangs you can totally take dudes live on the first mission which is hilarious and a minor slingshot.

The Walrus posted:

oh man this game is way easier when you research some armour and weapons upgrades. i went from normal to plasma weapons in like two missions.

Uh...yeah. How long did you have default weapons? :stare:

It's generally suggested that you should beeline to your first weapon tech as fast as possible in either of the modern XCOMs. Grab a few things here and there, like the ability to contact other regions, but you really want those magnetic weapons ASAP.