Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Rainuwastaken posted:

Yoshida already said in an interview that they're not opening up until 4.1 at least. Sucks, but such is life.

Thank goodness, I need time to gather gil again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I think part of the pacing issues were caused by you doing half of the Fringes and Peaks at the start, then doing 3 whole zones in the east, then come back and finish off the other half of those first two zones as well as the Lochs.

Maybe it wouldn't have felt so rushed if we did all of Doma first, then do all of Ala Mhigo instead of sticking the Doma story right in the middle.

Also, when is Urianger getting a new outfit? he's the only one walking around in his old rags now.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

It's interesting that at this point we've defeated and killed what would be the end boss for a normal FF game on four separate occasions (eight if you did the raids), and there are still people left in the setting that are like "yeah, but I think those guys lacked gumption :v:"

It be like if at the end of the first season of G.I. Joe Cobra gets wiped out and each subsequent season has them fighting a new para-military group ":moreevil: no really, this plan to take over the world will totally work out!"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yoshis bard embellishes the poo poo out of our exploits is my favorite framing device for difficulties.

Poop Collector: Extreme?

I am kind of surprised that people focus so much on that quest in Azim Steppes though. This is at least the fourth or fifth time the WoL has been tasked with picking literal poo poo up off the ground, it's practically our hobby at this point.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 13, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wish that every time Grynewaht showed up and yelled about you being his archnemesis or whatever, you had a dialogue option to say "who are you?"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SirPhoebos posted:

It's interesting that at this point we've defeated and killed what would be the end boss for a normal FF game on four separate occasions (eight if you did the raids), and there are still people left in the setting that are like "yeah, but I think those guys lacked gumption :v:"

It be like if at the end of the first season of G.I. Joe Cobra gets wiped out and each subsequent season has them fighting a new para-military group ":moreevil: no really, this plan to take over the world will totally work out!"

I think the thing people forget is that the narrative does not support the idea that any of those fights were easy. Yes, you've triumphed time and again but many times you had help (Hydaelyn literally directly saving your rear end, Hraesvelgrs eye..) and you HAVE been defeated (Zenos).

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Thundarr posted:

I am kind of surprised that people focus so much on that quest in Azim Steppes though. This is at least the fourth or fifth time the WoL has been tasked with picking literal poo poo up off the ground, it's practically our hobby at this point.

I think it has to do with how this expansion treats the WoL in general. At the start of HW, we had basically nothing, and spent the entire 3.0 patch proving ourselves to the Ishgardians. At the start of SB, everybody already knows that we're an unstoppable hero figure, and they treat us as such. When the MSQ is constantly mentioning how you saved X NPC years ago, or that they can just toss you at the latest evil god to spring up like it's no big deal, having to go collect poop can give you a bit of whiplash.

But the Xaela are cool and I wanted to help them anyway, so it's no big deal.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Fister Roboto posted:

I wish that every time Grynewaht showed up and yelled about you being his archnemesis or whatever, you had a dialogue option to say "who are you?"

He also makes the cutest angry little minipet.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

ImpAtom posted:

Then presumably we're going to fight Larry, Moe and Curly followed by Wrexsoul in order to help Hein save Kaien's soul.

Doma Castle (Hard)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Fister Roboto posted:

1. *slams fist into hand, nods*
2. *shrug*

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm getting back into AST again and I want to make sure I understand how to use the cards correctly. Without getting into the nuances of royal road, my general strategy is:

Balance: Give it to the highest performing DPS
Arrow: Give it to the highest performing DPS
Spear: Burn it, I have no idea what this card is good for
Spire: Give it to a physical DPS on a big pull, or a recently-rezzed party member who needs their TP back, otherwise burn it if nobody needs TP
Bole: Give it to a caster who's running out of MP, otherwise burn it
Ewer: Give it to the tank so they take less damage and I can dps more

Am I way off on any of that? I think arrow & spear are the ones I'm fuzziest on the proper use of.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm getting back into AST again and I want to make sure I understand how to use the cards correctly. Without getting into the nuances of royal road, my general strategy is:

Spire: Give it to a physical DPS on a big pull, or a recently-rezzed party member who needs their TP back, otherwise burn it if nobody needs TP

Am I way off on any of that? I think arrow & spear are the ones I'm fuzziest on the proper use of.

You have Bole & Ewer backwards, but yeah.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Balance: Hella
Errything Else: Throw it on the ground

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Ainsley McTree posted:

You should Royal Road: Ewer and Spire.
You should Minor Arcana: Arrow, Spear, Bole (and Ewer or Spire if already Royal Roaded)
You should Cast: Balance

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Always give ewers to bards for more foe req juice.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Give your Arrows to Ninjas.

I used to enjoy giving Ewers to BLMs before they changed the regen on it.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

You should also consider giving Ewers to PLDs who are using their spell Holy Spirit often. It's their highest potency attack, so giving a good PLD extra mp will let them use it more.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
4 mans:
Balance: give it to the best dps
Arrow: give it to the best dps, but maybe not to someone already running dry on tp, but R O Y A L R O A D if you have balance stocked
Bole: give it to the tank if they're pulling big, otherwise R O Y A L R O A D
Spear: R O Y A L R O A D
Spire: Minor Arcana.
Ewer: Give it to yourself, so you can Gravity more.

8 mans:
Balance: hold for Expanded Royal Road
Arrow: use if you have Expanded RR, otherwise reroll/minor arcana
Bole: reroll/minor arcana
Spear: reroll/minor arcana
Spire: R O Y A L R O A D
Ewer: Give it to yourself if you've had to raise like 10 people and are on fumes, otherwise R O Y A L R O A D

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
seriously, especially with sleeve draw in the mix, don't keep throwing away arrows while fishing for balances if you already have an expanded royal road

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Wacky Delly posted:

You have Bole & Ewer backwards, but yeah.

Whoops. I swear I knew that, I mostly just identify them as "the green one" and "the blue one" and got the names mixed up.

It does seem like most of AST is holding out for balance cards; I was just wondering if the other cards had pro uses as well that weren't obvious (they really ought to do something about spear)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
don't ever loving royal road a ewer or spire in 4-man content, jeez louise

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
whenever I see the ewer icon pop up on my entire party in a 4-man i always feel bad for the AST because i know they're weeping in embarrassment

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

don't ever loving royal road a ewer or spire in 4-man content, jeez louise

Uh. Wrong. And why would you say that? You could have one DPS doing 20% more damage or two DPS, a tank, and a healer doing 10% more damage. The latter seems far better.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tenik posted:

What you want is probably /hudlayout X,*snip* something similar to what Galaga Galaxian posted yesterday.

Similar, but a lot better! I think I'm going to have to incorporate this. Thanks.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Uh. Wrong. And why would you say that? You could have one DPS doing 20% more damage or two DPS, a tank, and a healer doing 10% more damage. The latter seems far better.

time dilation

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also, generally, one of your dps will be doing more damage

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also the choice isn't expanded-or-nothing, it's expanded-or-empowererd/extended

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tenik posted:

You should also consider giving Ewers to PLDs who are using their spell Holy Spirit often. It's their highest potency attack, so giving a good PLD extra mp will let them use it more.

Extra MP doesn't really translate to more DPS for paladins because their rotation is already pretty tight. I think at most you can get a single extra HS outside of your magic phase before you start losing DPS due to your DOT falling off.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I like ASTs who Spire me in four mans because I have no faith that the other DPS will either Goad me or participate in AoEing.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also, a stocked expansion can only really be used effectively on balance, but empowered/extended bole and ewer are legit as hell in large pulls

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
for the same reason, holding out for expanded balance in 4-mans causes you to use sleeve draw incredibly inefficiently

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
furthermore, there's a rhythm to many classes' aoe phases, if you're paying attention to what your dps are doing you can do things like catch a monk with a solo balance immediately as they go into their perfect balance / rockbreaker phase

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
in conclusion, ast card use is a land of many contrasts

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

Spears easy to understand; it decreases long cd skills. No, not intrinsically, only skills that are cast after you spear someone. So to make it work all you need to do is be in a chat with another person and explain to them what spear is and then they tell you their stuff is currently on cd so you have to wait until they tell you to use it and then you spear them and then they use their stuff and now that 120 second cd skill is a 96 second cd skill that will probably come off cooldown on the exact dungeon mob it would've come off cooldown on anyways and all that coordination led to nothing good job moron.

Mordiceius posted:

You're comparing a royalroaded card to a non-royalroaded card here FYI.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I've had more than one warrior profusely thank me for giving them a spire and after I started leveling one in dungeons I can totally see why.

No embarrassment in ewers unless that's all I'm getting. I can always use more mp for murder.

Boles and spears are great RR candidates.

More then once I've awarded a dps with a cool glamour an extended balance that I then added Time Dilation and Celestial Opposition as cherries on top. Enjoy those 85 seconds of extra damage, you fashionista.

If in doubt arrow yourself for more gravity.

That's all I have to say re: cards ty

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm sure it'll change when my character gets big enough to use minor arcana but for me as a 52 ast:
balance and arrow are saved then I fish for a spire or ewer for royal road.
Bole and spear are useless unless there is one dps doing like double the damage of the other. If this is the case then I royal road those instead of spire/ewer and feed the extended/enhanced arrow/balance to the good deeps.

Probably the only thing that changes with minor arcana is converting the bad set of cards instead of discarding them.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i, for one, always just give my cards to myself.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheRagamuffin posted:

Doma Castle (Hard)

That's gonna be the flooded underwater parts of the castle and the final boss will be Gogo.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That's gonna be the flooded underwater parts of the castle and the final boss will be Gogo.

Holy poo poo a Gogo boss would rule. I wanna see a 4-man boss that can potentially eat an LB2 and throw it right back at the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

TheRagamuffin posted:

Holy poo poo a Gogo boss would rule. I wanna see a 4-man boss that can potentially eat an LB2 and throw it right back at the party.

I'd welcome a Gogo fight if you had to stand there doing nothing for the first minute or so or he'd loving kill you.