Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Yeah it was sort of a middle of the road thing. He wouldn't sign it himself but the whole plan to temporarily transfer power wasn't against his will or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Corrode posted:

None of them, of course, are things which are probable in the current climate. It's an interesting constitutional question because the heart of how the UK government operates is the premise that everyone is actually doing things on the nod from the Crown - no Crown, no government. In the real world this would all get worked around of course, but

Just use the Crown itself, no need for a monarch to wear it.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Been reading Raven Rock: The Story of the U.S. Government’s Secret Plan to Save Itself--While the Rest of Us Die and this stood out as morbidly funny.

"The Health and Human Services emergency command post, just a block from the National Mall in Room 313-10 in its headquarters basement, stocked freeze-dried food sufficient to feed three dozen staff for a month, as well radio gear, an infirmary, and, incongruously, an office for the cabinet secretary decorated with photos of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, just in case the cabinet official forgot what the world outside would have looked like."

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

HisMajestyBOB posted:

It'd be like the unusual American system where the President is Head of Government, and Head of State is Ben Franklin's favorite merkin

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If his merkin was jewel encrusted and made of gold that might work but everyone knows that his most valuable merkin was only made of silver and that his favourite merkin was woven from the hairs of Arabian wild horses.

So it just wouldn't work for obvious reasons.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Nckdictator posted:

Been reading Raven Rock: The Story of the U.S. Government’s Secret Plan to Save Itself--While the Rest of Us Die and this stood out as morbidly funny.

"The Health and Human Services emergency command post, just a block from the National Mall in Room 313-10 in its headquarters basement, stocked freeze-dried food sufficient to feed three dozen staff for a month, as well radio gear, an infirmary, and, incongruously, an office for the cabinet secretary decorated with photos of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, just in case the cabinet official forgot what the world outside would have looked like."

The Cold War was an interesting period in American history.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

HisMajestyBOB posted:

This is literally what the theory behind the Hungarian crown is: it's the crown that makes the king, it absolutely has to be that specific crown, all the Hungarian lands belong to the crown (as a piece of headgear, that is, not the legal institution) and the monarch merely administers them. The eternal co-wearer and thus co-regent was nobody else than the Virgin Mary who in theory ruled the kingdom in times of a vacant throne.

The crown continues to be such an important symbol of Hungarian history and identity that the (kingless since 1918 and formally republican since 1946) government put it on the Hungarian coat of arms again in 1920 and again in 1990 - a move which didn't set well with Hungary's neighbours and still doesn't, since the crown never formally accepted the loss of territory after WW1 (it couldn't accept because it can't speak, I guess :v:) and thus plenty of Hungarian irredentists use it as a rallying symbol and as grounds for their claim.

In 2000, the first Orban government put the crown into permanent display in the middle of the parliament building. It is constantly guarded by the reinstituted “crown guard“, whose soldiers have taken an oath that they're ready to defend the crown with their lives. Since 2012, making fun of the crown can land you in prison for up to one year.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

That's partly explained by Hungary's slide (back) into fascism though

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

System Metternich posted:

This is literally what the theory behind the Hungarian crown is: it's the crown that makes the king, it absolutely has to be that specific crown, all the Hungarian lands belong to the crown (as a piece of headgear, that is, not the legal institution) and the monarch merely administers them. The eternal co-wearer and thus co-regent was nobody else than the Virgin Mary who in theory ruled the kingdom in times of a vacant throne.

That's a nice theory, but when in 1304 king Wenceslaus took the Crown of St. Stephen during conflict with rival pretender Charles I, Charles' authority was upheld by Hungary being proclaimed a fief of the Holy See, and the ownership of the crown was deemed immaterial to the task of administering the fiefdom. So clearly Hungary is a patrimony of St. Peter and authority over the country is performed by appointment of the Holy See, and any claim to the contrary is revisionist nonsense.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

That's a nice theory, but when in 1304 king Wenceslaus took the Crown of St. Stephen during conflict with rival pretender Charles I, Charles' authority was upheld by Hungary being proclaimed a fief of the Holy See, and the ownership of the crown was deemed immaterial to the task of administering the fiefdom. So clearly Hungary is a patrimony of St. Peter and authority over the country is performed by appointment of the Holy See, and any claim to the contrary is revisionist nonsense.

As a good Catholic I'd approve of this, but the early modern legal and theological explanation of the crown followed the theoretical work of Péter Révay which I therefore regard as authoritative for our times :colbert:

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I cant find the right thread to ask it, so ill ask it here.

I'm interested in what Vikings did on their ships. History is all about what they did when they got off their ships, but they spent weeks or months crowded up on their ships. How did couples gently caress? What about fights? Games they played. How they took dumps. What they ate and if they cooked with fire onboard. How they conducted burials at sea. Stuff like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For a lot of history, and modern day for that matter, privacy was a polite fiction. And they shat off the side of the boat.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ChocNitty posted:

I'm interested in what Vikings did on their ships. History is all about what they did when they got off their ships, but they spent weeks or months crowded up on their ships. How did couples gently caress? What about fights? Games they played. How they took dumps. What they ate and if they cooked with fire onboard. How they conducted burials at sea. Stuff like that.

They hosed under sheets, they played dice, and they cooked in little hibachis that held the fire up a few inches, but also ate a lot of stuff cold. Now I'm curious what Vikings did about scurvy though.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

ChocNitty posted:

the only thing of substance that i can tell you is that the weeks-months crowded up on a ship idea is a bit of a stretch for a single trip given the way vikings island hopped, weeks and months would be on par with columbus' 5 week odyssey across the ocean without sight of land once his voyage proper began; we know from modern reconstruction of replicas that it takes like ~2-3 days to go from norway to england in a straight shot and that even the more circuitous routes of scandinavia -->shetland ---> ireland---> orkneys ---> england takes under ~2 weeks with plenty of stops and breaks, going to places like iceland were similarly accomplished through routes like scandinavia ---> shetland ---> faroe ---> iceland

i'd argue idly speculate that they def had to piss and poo poo over the side of the boat, or maybe into a communal pot that was emptied, but traveling only a few days per leg isn't so bad that you have to work out culturally acceptable methods of fighting/loving//burials/etc at sea when you can do most of those things on land a few days later, aside from individual instances of those things occurring on a particular boat at sea with the individuals on board probably deciding on their own accord what to do rather than leaning on a traditional practice that was developed for dealing with that exact situation in an culturally appropriate manner

i can't provide an exact quote or source right now, but i've read of an instance of a dude who expired mid-trip who was just dumped over the side during bad weather after a wee prayer... would they have done that if he were someone of import or if sailing conditions were more ideal? was that an acceptable/standard practice? i can't help you with those questions

hard counter has a new favorite as of 21:56 on Jul 13, 2017

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Thanks. I'm wondering if there's any extensive literature on it though. As if it was written by Ernest Hemingway. I would even enjoy historical fiction on it. There must have been tales of romance, violence, betrayal, death, sex, and humor that occurred on these long as gently caress voyages.

I have a weird infatuation with human activity on transportation. Someone running on a treadmill inside of a military submarine thats hundreds of feet deep in the ocean. People in the 1800's watching projected silent movies inside of a train car. A band recording a song in a makeshift studio in the back of a tour bus. People ice skating inside of a cruise ship. People having dinner on a Zeppelin. The president having a meeting in a conference room on Air Force 1 thousands of feet in the sky.

I think it started when I was a kid and I read Stephen Biesty cross section books, which featured a lot of that kind of stuff:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I think I still have that book, somewhere. S'awesome.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Surely they went over the side, if I'm sailing an open boat from Norway to England I don't want a bucket of poo poo rolling around underfoot

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

I think I still have that book, somewhere. S'awesome.

I should still have (minus the cover) the one that combined all of his major ones together. I read it cover to cover so many times as a kid.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

skasion posted:

Surely they went over the side, if I'm sailing an open boat from Norway to England I don't want a bucket of poo poo rolling around underfoot

my logic was safely poo poo in bucket, toss bucket into water, then wash it out with the sea water that's right there as an alternative to hanging your rear end overboard and maybe falling in at an unexpectedly turbulent jostle

that's only speaking from modern rafting and boating experience tho, and def less from people making GBS threads over the side and more from people just sitting casually on the lip and then bailing out when waters weren't as still as they thought

e: when sven was making GBS threads over the side of his longship in 900 AD did they assign two stout men to hold on to him, securing him firmly? would these men talk him through a particularly difficult poo poo? we just don't know

hard counter has a new favorite as of 22:19 on Jul 13, 2017

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Speaking of the Hungarian crown my favourite thing about it is the crooked cross, according to wikipedia it's bent because the chest it was housed in in the 17th century was hastily closed and it's been left bent ever since. Citation needed at the end of that tidbit though.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Tarantula posted:

Speaking of the Hungarian crown my favourite thing about it is the crooked cross, according to wikipedia it's bent because the chest it was housed in in the 17th century was hastily closed and it's been left bent ever since. Citation needed at the end of that tidbit though.

Luckily today we have technology to prevent that tragedy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
By the Grace of God, King of Castile, León, Aragon, the two Sicilies, Jerusalem, Portugal, Navarre, Granada, Toledo, Valencia, Galicia, Majorca, Seville, Sardinia, Cordoba, Corsica, Murcia, Jaén, the Algarves, Algeciras, Gibraltar, the Canary Islands, the Eastern & Western Indies, and the Islands & Mainland of the Ocean Sea, Count of Barcelona, Lord of Biscay and Molina, Duke of Athens and Neopatria, Count of Roussillon and Cerdagne, Margrave of Oristano and Goceano, Archduke of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, Brabant, and Milan, Count of Habsburg, Flanders, Tyrol, etc.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Dutch are more efficient about this.

" His style and title, as appearing in preambles, is: Willem-Alexander, by the Grace of God, King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, etc. etc. etc., by which the triple 'etc.' refers to the monarch's many dormant titles. "

It HAS to be three 'etc.'s

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Carbon dioxide posted:

...It HAS to be three 'etc.'s

the laziest imo: "Wii Friderich Den Anden med Guds Naade Dannemarckis, Vendis og Gottes Konning etc".

something like "We, Friedrich the 2nd, by the Grace of God, King of the Danes, the Wends, and the Goths, etc"

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 06:53 on Jul 15, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

His Imperial and Royal Majesty Frederick III, By the Grace of God, German Emperor and King of Prussia, Margrave of Brandenburg, Burgrave of Nuremberg, Count of Hohenzollern, Duke of Silesia and of the County of Glatz, Grand Duke of the Lower Rhine and of Posen, Duke of Saxony, of Angria, of Westphalia, of Pomerania and of Lunenburg, Duke of Schleswig, of Holstein and of Crossen, Duke of Magdeburg, of Bremen, of Guelderland and of Jülich, Cleves and Berg, Duke of the Wends and the Kashubians, of Lauenburg and of Mecklenburg, Landgrave of Hesse and in Thuringia, Margrave of Upper and Lower Lusatia, Prince of Orange, of Rugen, of East Friesland, of Paderborn and of Pyrmont, Prince of Halberstadt, of Münster, of Minden, of Osnabrück, of Hildesheim, of Verden, of Kammin, of Fulda, of Nassau and of Moers, Princely Count of Henneberg, Count of the Mark, of Ravensberg, of Hohenstein, of Tecklenburg and of Lingen, Count of Mansfeld, of Sigmaringen and of Veringen, Lord of Frankfurt.

quote:

Sovereign of The Sublime House of Osman, Sultan of Sultans, Khakan of the Khans, Commander of the faithful and Successor of the Prophet of the lord of the Universe, Custodian of the Holy Cities of Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem, Padishah of The Three Cities of Constantinople, Adrianople and Bursa, and of the Cities of Damascus and Cairo, of all Azerbaijan, of the Magreb, of Barkah, of Kairouan, of Alep, of the Arab and Persian Iraq, of Basra, of El Hasa strip, of Raka, of Mosul, of Parthia, of Diyâr-ı Bekr, of Cilicia, of the provinces of Erzurum, of Sivas, of Adana, of Karaman, of Van, of Barbaria, of Abyssinia, of Tunisia, of Tripoli, of Syria, of Cyprus, of Rhodes, of Crete, of the province of Morea, of the Mediterranean Sea, of the Black Sea, of Anatolia, of Rumelia, of Bagdad, of Kurdistan, of Greece, of Turkestan, of Tartary, of Circassia, of the two regions of Kabarda, of Georgia, of the steppe of Kipchaks, of the whole country of the Tatars, of Kaffa and of all the neighbouring regions, of Bosnia, of the City and Fort of Belgrade, of the province of Serbia with all the castles and cities, of all Arnaut, of all Wallachia and Moldavia, as well as all the dependencies and borders, and many others countries and cities.

http://www.imperialhouse.ru/en/dynastyhistory/dinzak1/446.html posted:

By the Grace (and aid) of God, We NN, Emperor and Sovereign of All the Russias, of Moscow, Kiev, Vladimir, Novgorod; Tsar of Kazan, Tsar of Astrakhan, Tsar of Poland, Tsar of Siberia, Tsar of Taurian Khersones, Tsar of Georgia; Sovereign of Pskov and Grand Duke of Smolensk, Lithuania, Volhynia, Podolia, and Finland; Duke of Estland, Lifland, Courland and Semigalia, Samogitia, Bielostok, Korelia, Tver, Yugria, Permia, Vyatka, Bolgary and others; Sovereign and Grand Duke of Nizhni Novgorod, Chernigov, Ryazan, Polotsk, Rostov, Jaroslavl, Bielo-ozero, Udoria, Obdoria, Kondia, Vitebsk, Mstislav, and Ruler of all Northern territories; Sovereign of Iberia, Kartalinia, the Kabardinian lands and Armenian province: hereditary Sovereign and Ruler of the Circassian and Mountain Princes and of others; Sovereign of Turkestan, Heir of Norway, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein, Stormarn, Dietmarsen, Oldenburg, and so forth, and so forth, and so forth.

G.R.R.M. was positively restrained.

quote:

Daenerys Targaryen, First of Her Name, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lady of the Seven Kingdoms, Protector of the Realm, Lady Paramount of the Crownlands, Princess of Dragonstone, Queen of Meereen, and Khaleesi of the Great Green Sea

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:21 on Jul 15, 2017

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

quote:

His Imperial and Royal Apostolic Majesty, By the Grace of God Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary and Bohemia, Dalmatia, Croatia, Slavonia, Galicia, Lodomeria and Illyria; King of Jerusalem, etc.; Archduke of Austria; Grand Duke of Tuscany and Cracow; Duke of Lorraine, Salzburg, Styria, Carinthia, Carniola and Bukovina; Grand Prince of Transylvania, Margrave of Moravia; Duke of Upper and Lower Silesia, of Modena, Parma, Piacenza and Guastalla, of Auschwitz and Zator, of Teschen, Friaul, Ragusa and Zara; Princely Count of Habsburg and Tyrol, of Kyburg, Gorizia and Gradisca; Prince of Trent and Brixen; Margrave of Upper and Lower Lusatia and in Istria; Count of Hohenems, Feldkirch, Bregenz, Sonnenberg etc.; Lord of Trieste, of Cattaro and on the Windic March; Grand Voivode of the Voivodeship of Serbia etc., etc.

School children in Austria-Hungary had to memorise this

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Were most ancient battles fought with a beer buzz? I would imagine most soldiers got a good wine buzz before a battle to help give them courage. I wouldnt be surprised if they trained for battle with an alcohol buzz, so they became accustomed to getting the job done while a little toasted. . I was watching a documentary on Hannibal and they mentioned a lybian infantry who were renowned for fighting sober. Alexander slept in for the battle of gaugamela, a battle of which he knew how profoundly important it was, he must have slept in because he got wasted the night before. Probably had to have a few bloody marys to cure his hangover.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

ChocNitty posted:

We actually do have some history of what sea voyages and Viking life in general was like, but it's almost all written by secondary sources from cultures that had contact with them. The Vikings didn't really care much for writing and books, and long-form expository writing didn't really turn up in the Scandinavian regions until the 12th century, when Christianity and Islam began to be brought in.

The most notable Viking 'historian' is Snorri Sturlson, and he's attributed with recording most of the Viking legends we know now, most notably the poetic edda and likely the prose edda as well.

In terms of more concrete things we know about the Vikings that you mentioned - we know that Vikings were VERY into board games and likely would have passed a lot of their sailing time playing them. Board games are one of the most common gravegoods found in Viking burials. The most common of these games is Hnefatafl, which is a sort-of precursor to chess. I've played it - it's actually quite challenging as the rules are heavily skewed to one side. Historically it's still not quite known how Vikings played to get around this player bias.

The Vikings also played chess, and there are examples of chessmen carved as various Viking figures. My favorite is from the Lewis Chessmen, the bishop is a Viking berserker that's literally biting his shield - something that berserks were feared because they would do in battle.

There's a good deal written about all the different kinds of games Vikings played in their daily life, including sourcing in the literature that each one is described from, here:
http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/games_and_sports.htm

As for food and/or what they ate, I have a recipe somewhere for Viking ration cakes. They're quite good, made with heavy old-world grains and sweetened with honey. They also invented sekanjaban, which pretty much cures any hangover, ever.

That Damn Satyr has a new favorite as of 08:02 on Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ChocNitty posted:

Were most ancient battles fought with a beer buzz? I would imagine most soldiers got a good wine buzz before a battle to help give them courage. I wouldnt be surprised if they trained for battle with an alcohol buzz, so they became accustomed to getting the job done while a little toasted. . I was watching a documentary on Hannibal and they mentioned a lybian infantry who were renowned for fighting sober. Alexander slept in for the battle of gaugamela, a battle of which he knew how profoundly important it was, he must have slept in because he got wasted the night before. Probably had to have a few bloody marys to cure his hangover.

Probably doesn't help in a lot of times and places, you couldn't trust the water, but you could trust the beer.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Btw someone quote that letter from the Ottoman emperor to the cossacks and their point by point reply & also the painting. Probably it's mostly a reconstructin but it's a funny one anyhow.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

ChocNitty posted:

Everybody in the past up until about 1850 was a little bit drunk all the time. Just enough to make them better at things like empire building.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ChocNitty posted:

A lot of sources claim that vikings were all hosed up on shrooms (red amanita is the usual claim) when they went "berzerk". histrorians find it unlikely that they were tripping balls, but linguistically berzerk is "bar" (bare) + "særk" (cloth) ie = (at least partially nude). i think the current theory is that having a bunch of shirtless dudes run at you was scarier than a bunch of dudes wearing shirts running at you?

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Powaqoatse posted:

Btw someone quote that letter from the Ottoman emperor to the cossacks and their point by point reply & also the painting. Probably it's mostly a reconstructin but it's a funny one anyhow.

I got you!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also the letters you son of a worthless forum poster etc

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That guy's a real crick in my dick.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

PYF Historical Fun Fact: for this, kiss our arse!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

bloody hell

quote:

Sultan Mehmed IV to the Zaporozhian Cossacks:

As the Sultan; son of Muhammad; brother of the sun and moon; grandson and viceroy of God; ruler of the kingdoms of Macedonia, Babylon, Jerusalem, Upper and Lower Egypt; emperor of emperors; sovereign of sovereigns; extraordinary knight, never defeated; steadfast guardian of the tomb of Jesus Christ; trustee chosen by God Himself; the hope and comfort of Muslims; confounder and great defender of Christians - I command you, the Zaporogian Cossacks, to submit to me voluntarily and without any resistance, and to desist from troubling me with your attacks.

--Turkish Sultan Mehmed IV

quote:

Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are thou, that canst not slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil shits, and your army eats. Thou shalt not, thou son of a whore, make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, gently caress thy mother.

Thou Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw thine own mother!

So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!

- Koshovyi otaman Ivan Sirko, with the whole Zaporozhian Host.

shame on all this thread for being lazier & thus smarter than me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They must really think lowly of wheelwrights.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

in danish history, wheelwrights were rarely worth a lot to society. wheels mostly work fine until they dont & then some guy fixes them and they work fine for 20 years more.

most villages had a wheel guy, but the guy was often one of the poorest in the village.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

" His style and title, as appearing in preambles, is: Willem-Alexander, by the Grace of God, King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, etc. etc. etc., by which the triple 'etc.' refers to the monarch's many dormant titles. "

It HAS to be three 'etc.'s

With dormant titles included:

quote:

By the Grace of God, King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Jonkheer van Amsberg, Marquis of Veere and Flushing, Count of Katzenelnbogen, Vianden, Diez, Spiegelberg, Buren, Leerdam and Culemborg, Burgrave of Antwerp, Baron of Breda, Diest, Beilstein, the town of Grave and the lands of Cuyk, IJsselstein, Cranendonk, Eindhoven, Liesveld, Herstal, Warneton, Arlay and Nozeroy, Hereditary and Free Lord of Ameland, Lord of Borculo, Bredevoort, Lichtenvoorde, Het Loo, Geertruidenberg, Clundert, Zevenbergen, Hooge and Lage Zwaluwe, Naaldwijk, Polanen, St Maartensdijk, Soest, Baarn, Ter Eem, Willemstad, Steenbergen, Montfort, St Vith, Bütgenbach, Dasburg, Niervaart, Turnhout and Besançon