Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cynic Jester posted:

I feel like nations should lose the lucky modifier sooner. If they're down to less than half of their starting number of provinces, it should go to another nation that is doing good. Sure, it'll make finishing conquering the Ottos or France easier, but once you're halfway through, it's easy anyways, but it'll make the next nation stronger, sooner, which is a good thing.
It could even go to the country that wrecked the formerly lucky one, if it was a case of AI-on-AI violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Tbh I hope that the concept of Lucky Nations is not in EU5. Or if it is, as something that's off by default and you can turn it to full random if you want Odoyev or whatever to be insanely buff for no reason. It strikes me as a bit of a balance crutch.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I'd just like to see Lucky Nations not be required for ironman/achievement runs.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I honestly forgot that lucky nations were a thing until I started a Poland run last night. :v:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Detheros posted:

I honestly forgot that lucky nations were a thing until I started a Poland run last night. :v:

Yeah it's really not a big deal unless you have to fight one of the big boys early on without good military bonuses. I just got used to Ottoman troops being insane ultra-bullshit if you fight them in the first 50 years.

What do y'all think is the best tag for early Asian colonisation? Japan gets the benefit of being able to also become EoC without religion shifting tomfoolery, and since they nerfed Tidore and Ternate their ideas are no longer that outlandishly better than all the other options since you don't get the free colonist until your 2nd idea set.

OTOH Ternate / Tidore can still colonise more quickly; and now that I think of it if I stay pagan I can still become EoC and eventually shift to Confucian, which sounds fairly hilarious.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 13, 2017

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
Korea, Japan, and the tags that can easily form the malaccan empire probably have the most to gain from a colonising campaign in East Asia, yeah

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Its like the AI knows not to do something dumb when a player is near - every game where Castille and Aragon are rivalled, they fight a big war early in the game. But not when I am Morocco! I cant seem to get a game off the ground as Morocco, I just get crushed by Portugal+Castille by 1475 every time.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Started up a new game as Sweden after having not played in, uh, forever. Got independence from Denmark and have been eating my way along the Livonian Order, but a) I'm constantly broke and b) Denmark allied with Muscovy and I can't figure a good way to break that alliance. I do have Lithuania on my side but I don't think they can take Muscovy by themselves.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

Started up a new game as Sweden after having not played in, uh, forever. Got independence from Denmark and have been eating my way along the Livonian Order, but a) I'm constantly broke and b) Denmark allied with Muscovy and I can't figure a good way to break that alliance. I do have Lithuania on my side but I don't think they can take Muscovy by themselves.

To make money as Sweden, develop production in the province that has copper and a production bonus (Dalaskogen?) It will make you enough to tide you over till you can dominate the Baltic.

You could throw Lithuania under the bus and hope you can take what you need in the time it takes Muscovy to kick their rear end.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well now I overextended trying to take out all the baltic orders at once- it worked but I lost all my manpower and now Denmark+Muscovy are invading :ohdear:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

skasion posted:

To make money as Sweden, develop production in the province that has copper and a production bonus (Dalaskogen?) It will make you enough to tide you over till you can dominate the Baltic.

You could throw Lithuania under the bus and hope you can take what you need in the time it takes Muscovy to kick their rear end.

The better way is to separate peace Muscovy by giving them Lithuanian land. Weakens your ally, sure, but it's generally worth it.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

StashAugustine posted:

Well now I overextended trying to take out all the baltic orders at once- it worked but I lost all my manpower and now Denmark+Muscovy are invading :ohdear:

Time to start a new game! Also, abuse Stora Kopparberg to its limits.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

OK I think I'm done with Russia.

92 absolutism is awesome, I have an administrative efficiency of like 66% :v:

and a discipline of 129% with the biggest, baddest army in the world.

Also the largest income in the world at 495 ducats/month, and states basically everywhere over 30 development. Russia is definitely overpowered with Third Rome and the +20 states bonus from Splendor. Now, what to do for my next game? I think I did all countries that interested me somewhat, so I'm really open to suggestions.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Theodoro, Nepal, sub-saharan colonial power, and Siberian tribes are all interesting starts that tend to stay challenging throughout the game.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Playing Mutapa with the goal of owning every coastal province in the Indian ocean was a real fun game I did. That was right after Mutapan ideas were first introduced, so years ago. I don't know if that still holds up. Beeline for the Cape of Good Hope and conquer east to funnel a ton of trade income into Zanzibar. Make sure to take economic to deal with all the gold mines. If you decide not to convert then you should definitely take religion over humanism.

You could also try Delhi or some other landlocked nation in India, with the goal of doing a Switzerlake run. Vassalize one of the minor, coastal nations (Maldives as the comedy option) and feed them all the naval provinces in wars. That seems like it'd present a good series of challenges, starting with basic survival and then eventually hitting the point where your vassal has enough trade income to give it a solid chance at winning independence. It also might make you take unusual idea groups for the region, as Trade, Exploration, and Expansion would have limited utility.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If you have all the relevant DLCs Buddhists are no longer total garbage to play - though still a bit weak - due to recent changes, you can get 2 free missionaries from conquering India (except for Dai Viet, who need to own some province slap bang in the middle of China to get their 2nd free missionary, idiots), and starting in the East India / Indochina region gives you the best ability to weaken Ming without actually going to war with them, by eating all of their tributaries while being a tributary yourself.

Dai Viet, Khmer, Taungu and Tibet are good / fun choices.

Or similarly you can do a Hindu Khmer (religion shift on day 1), Orissa or Nepal game with similar results, but you don't get the awesome catharsis of crushing Ming and taking their fancy clothes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I must say, losing every battle with a 6 shock general vs a 0 shock general because my opponent has one level of miltech on me is real loving sweet and not at all infuriating :thumbsup:

edit: Seriously, I got loving stackwiped vs Muscovy. Combat width is 24; I have 12 Infantry and 12 Cav, Muscovy has 30 Infantry, 5 Cav, and 2 artillery. Their general has 2 fire and zero shock; mine has 1 fire and six shock. They have a crossing penalty. I am on a steppe terrain province and have the Age ability that gives me a loving bonus there, AND THEY STACKWIPE ME?!?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 14, 2017

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I must say, losing every battle with a 6 shock general vs a 0 shock general because my opponent has one level of miltech on me is real loving sweet and not at all infuriating :thumbsup:

edit: Seriously, I got loving stackwiped vs Muscovy. Combat width is 24; I have 12 Infantry and 12 Cav, Muscovy has 30 Infantry, 5 Cav, and 2 artillery. Their general has 2 fire and zero shock; mine has 1 fire and six shock. They have a crossing penalty. I am on a steppe terrain province and have the Age ability that gives me a loving bonus there, AND THEY STACKWIPE ME?!?

Morale, discipline?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Three things:

1) Fire phase happens first, so their fire general is worth more in that phase than your shock general, and their higher infantry composition is worth more than your high cavalry composition (cavalry are much better at shock). So you took a ton of casualties in that first Fire phase

2) All of those casualties in the Fire phase probably caused your cavalry ratio to climb too high, causing your casualty rate to soar. Also you began suffering flanking penalties because now you're no longer maximally filling your entire combat width with guys

3) Apparently your morale hit 0 before the end of the Shock phase because that's the only way to stackwipe

Were you suffering any morale penalties? Did you recently change unit types or possibly lose another battle recently? Were you sieging a fort? Do your opponents have any sick military ideas or possibly a large number of streltsy?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What's the deal with Streltsy anyway? I see +Stability cost and avoid, but given all the crazy Russias that I'm seeing that's probably the wrong idea.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

What's the deal with Streltsy anyway? I see +Stability cost and avoid, but given all the crazy Russias that I'm seeing that's probably the wrong idea.

They deal +10% fire damage and you can occasionally get a bunch of them for free if you have one of the Russian government types

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PittTheElder posted:

I see +Stability cost and avoid

Nothing a little Catholic Russia can't fix.

Lagnar
Feb 23, 2013

Eej posted:

Nothing a little Catholic Russia can't fix.

I found Orthodox now gets a ton of events that help with stability among other things. Don't remember it exactly, but it's along the lines of gain 10 patriarch authority or lose 5 but gain 1 stability. You get so many of said events that you tend to be capping PA pretty quickly so it's not a huge trade off.

Long story short, I never needed to manually raise stability when I did a Russia game. There are similar events for inflation as well.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

free manpower and they do +10% fire damage which is really cool in the second half of the game

edit: I took Religious ideas and with the stability reduction from that and Orthodox, I'm running 100% Streltsy infantry for my standing army in 1600, and I can raise 30k+ Streltsy with a click if I need to, for very minor stability penalty.

The Russia and Orthodoxy buffs are cool, Central and East Asia remains stupid because they still haven't balanced Ming, tributaries, and Emperor of China mechanics well.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jul 14, 2017

Lemon Head
Nov 6, 2010
No kidding about China. I just finished a game as England those mechanics were pretty annoying when it came to getting a foothold in India, so I just ignored India and made all my money in the Americas instead.

A quick and dirty stop gap fix would just be to make anyone outside the eastern religious group take a large penalty to accepting tributary status diplomatically. That'd basically restrict China's sphere to neighbors, SE Asia, and Japan. It'd also force them to fight some of the hordes to make them tributaries. If they wanted to make tributaries somewhere else, they'd have to fight, which could lead to the Emperor overextending their army and falling to a well planned invasion or to a bad rebellion while tied up elsewhere.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I would disable the diplomatic option to make someone a tributary outright, until they fix that poo poo. I actually wonder, does disabling the DLC disable that mechanic?

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
Yep. Mandate is the first DLC I've deliberately disabled and left it that way.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

In my last 4 games, Ming always passed all reforms and remained perfectly stable, with their tributaries growing strong and nothing else happening. While the HRE inevitably fails to pass more than 1 reform. At least in the HRE the situation changes somewhat more over time, but still it feels the "emperor" mechanic never takes off, ever

It's terribly boring and I kinda want to disable the dlc but I don't want to give up ages and the diplo macro builder :(

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

TorakFade posted:

In my last 4 games, Ming always passed all reforms and remained perfectly stable, with their tributaries growing strong and nothing else happening. While the HRE inevitably fails to pass more than 1 reform. At least in the HRE the situation changes somewhat more over time, but still it feels the "emperor" mechanic never takes off, ever

It's terribly boring and I kinda want to disable the dlc but I don't want to give up ages and the diplo macro builder :(

Mind you that either the HRE is either "not meant" to be realistically united by the AI, or the AI is not programmed to/completely inept at forcing religious unity.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

OperaMouse posted:

Morale, discipline?
I have a Discipline Advisor; neither of us have any ideas that would help. I am at tech 6 and they are at tech 7.

QuarkJets posted:

Three things:

1) Fire phase happens first, so their fire general is worth more in that phase than your shock general, and their higher infantry composition is worth more than your high cavalry composition (cavalry are much better at shock). So you took a ton of casualties in that first Fire phase

2) All of those casualties in the Fire phase probably caused your cavalry ratio to climb too high, causing your casualty rate to soar. Also you began suffering flanking penalties because now you're no longer maximally filling your entire combat width with guys

3) Apparently your morale hit 0 before the end of the Shock phase because that's the only way to stackwipe

Were you suffering any morale penalties? Did you recently change unit types or possibly lose another battle recently? Were you sieging a fort? Do your opponents have any sick military ideas or possibly a large number of streltsy?
Russian tech infantry dont get fire "pips" until tech 12; at tech 7 they have a 0.55 fire "modifier". Are you telling me that a 0.55 fire modifier (which I also have as the Great Horde at tech 6) and a 0.25 difference in Tactics is SO STRONG that they stackwipe me and having a SIX SHOCK general when I am playing as a Horde on flat terrain with the Age bonus and a defensive crossing bonus is meaningless?

I keep thinking I know this game pretty well, then this poo poo happens.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I have a Discipline Advisor; neither of us have any ideas that would help. I am at tech 6 and they are at tech 7.

Russian tech infantry dont get fire "pips" until tech 12; at tech 7 they have a 0.55 fire "modifier". Are you telling me that a 0.55 fire modifier (which I also have as the Great Horde at tech 6) and a 0.25 difference in Tactics is SO STRONG that they stackwipe me and having a SIX SHOCK general when I am playing as a Horde on flat terrain with the Age bonus and a defensive crossing bonus is meaningless?

Were you on attack? The steppe bonus is only for attackers.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

canepazzo posted:

Were you on attack? The steppe bonus is only for attackers.
:suicide:

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Well you said defensive crossing bonus so v :shobon: v

feller
Jul 5, 2006

That makes me curious. If you're playing a horde and try to lift a siege on your fort (on flat land), do you get the steppe bonus?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I guess maybe you just rolled exceptionally lovely? I mean, they also outnumbered you pretty badly and would presumably have full flanking on you at some point in the battle. A few really bad rolls early in the fight and I could see things going real bad real quick.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
I think hes saying "oh gently caress is it really"

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Senor Dog posted:

That makes me curious. If you're playing a horde and try to lift a siege on your fort (on flat land), do you get the steppe bonus?

From my Manchu run I want to say no but I'm not 100%

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Mind you that either the HRE is either "not meant" to be realistically united by the AI, or the AI is not programmed to/completely inept at forcing religious unity.

I'm okay with this since the notion that the HRE could have been successfully welded into a fully functional unitary state where the emperor held sole authority by 1821 is completely ridiculous (probably more ridiculous than the Ming dynasty surviving to 1821 honestly) and the AI shouldn't be able to achieve it barring absolutely freak circumstances. Indeed the AI seems almost special-cased not to. In that Russia game I posted above where Commonwealth and France both joined the HRE, each of them had periods (right after they became Emperor and added all their provinces) were they had more than 50 IA and a support of the majority of electors, but for some reason chose not to pass reforms. Even if they had they still couldn't have gotten down to the privilegia, but still.

The fact that the Ming always passes all its reforms before 1600 is comparatively really silly though, especially given how random the reform fluff is. The first one is about the process of gaituguiliu (replacing hereditary regional magnates with government appointed bureaucrats), which was a Qing policy. The next one is about the Sea Ban, which was in fact a Ming policy (later separately adopted by the Qing) but was also an unequivocally terrible idea that increased the piracy it was supposed to prevent, cost huge amounts of tax money to fund, and all but wiped out revenue of foreign trade -- they kept it going because it was an article of faith passed down from Hongwu Emperor not because it was a great economic or diplomatic idea! The fourth is about the Lifan Yuan which is another Qing institution. It's pretty lame.

Senor Dog posted:

You do not. However, if you are besieging a fort on flat land and your enemy tries to lift the siege, you are technically the attacker so get the bonus. It's neat once you get used to it, it means you can attack far more aggressively.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dance Officer posted:

Well, the AI realistically shouldn't unite the HRE if our timeline is taken as the basis for what is realistic...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

skasion posted:

In that Russia game I posted above where Commonwealth and France both joined the HRE, each of them had periods (right after they became Emperor and added all their provinces) were they had more than 50 IA and a support of the majority of electors, but for some reason chose not to pass reforms.

maybe the drop from 50+ ia to 0 would have put them below being reelected. or most likely the ai is just wigged

• Locked thread