Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Patrick Spens posted:

Ohh, that looks interesting.....$1200 Canadian dollars?

:shittypop: It's like $250 freedom dollars. Do you need us to start a smuggling ring?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Flipperwaldt posted:

I watch a lot of British daytime tv, including property renovation programs. There's an enormous, sudden surge of using subway tiles like this for kitchen backsplashes:

While I can't imagine people calling them hideous, I can see them eventually saying "mid to late tens renovation, huh?"
I don't think this is really subway tile. I know you can get it this way, but 99% of the time subway tile is flat, not beveled. Or do you mean only the beveled style will go out of fashion?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

:shittypop: It's like $250 freedom dollars. Do you need us to start a smuggling ring?

There's other brands that are a lot more reasonable, It's probably just one of those weird things that happens sometimes. And I can always grab one when I'm in the States this summer.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

While going though some of the things I kept from my Mom's house, I found a Copyright 1979 Ethan Allen "Treasury of American Traditional Interiors" book. I'm using this and old pictures of my Grandparent's basement, and pictures of my parent's old house as a guide to remodeling the basement.

The plan is to make the bar/lounge area as retro as I can circa late 60s-70s. Furniture will be hard to do, but I could make or refurbish a bar in the style. The TV area I'd like to at least make the color scheme 'retro basement' as well, but that will be harder to pull off.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 13, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

To clarify, people should definitely do what makes them happy. God knows I'm no arbiter of taste. But when I see a theme that runs so counter to my own thinking I'm always interested in knowing why.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

You reminded me of the thing that I think is really gonna go out of fashion quick, those horrible glue-on mosaic panels for kitchen backsplashes.

I think as a general rule of thumb, cheap shortcuts and artificial/simulated finishes get the sledgehammer, while expensive stuff becomes "charmingly retro!" A high-end stainless-steel range is never going to be a detriment to selling a house, but wood laminate flooring, even though I think it looks nice currently, might be.

My kitchen is the perfect example of what will look horribly dated in the next few decades: granite counters, stainless steel, glass tile backsplash, and white cabinets.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Eh, personally I'm indifferent to subway tile. If I'm ever in the position to remodel a kitchen, I'd look at two factors for the backsplash of a countertop: 1) Does it clean easily? 2) Does it look ok?

Subway tile seems to fit both of those (other than the previously mentioned grout getting dirty). In industrial applications you'd just use a formed sheet of stainless steel, but as a wall covering that doesn't look great, especially with the modern kitchen being rolled into the living space as people diverge from the mid-century lifestyle of considering kitchens to be a necessity on the same level as the bathroom.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

CmdrRiker posted:

My kitchen is the perfect example of what will look horribly dated in the next few decades: granite counters, stainless steel, glass tile backsplash, and white cabinets.

Hey, we have the same counter tops, whadaya know.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CmdrRiker posted:

Are there things about this room you want to change?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That kitchen looks fine and maybe the glass tiles will make the kitchen dated in 20 years or maybe it will look fine but everything about that kitchen is perfectly fine. We're all fine here, how are you?

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 13, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doctor Butts posted:

While going though some of the things I kept from my Mom's house, I found a Copyright 1979 Ethan Allen "Treasury of American Traditional Interiors" book. I'm using this and old pictures of my Grandparent's basement, and pictures of my parent's old house as a guide to remodeling the basement.

The plan is to make the bar/lounge area as retro as I can circa late 60s-70s. Furniture will be hard to do, but I could make or refurbish a bar in the style. The TV area I'd like to at least make the color scheme 'retro basement' as well, but that will be harder to pull off.

Awesome, keep us updated. Also don't overlook how much people used neutrals even for the trendiest designs in that era. A lot of modern takes on midcentury kitsch pile color on color, but the big thing in the early 70s was to pair eye-searing shades with surprisingly muddy shades of cream and taupe. So a 70s color scheme might be candy apple red, slightly mustard-y yellow, avocado, and cream. Also I'd suggest deciding on either wood or plastic as your hard material and sticking to it rather than mixing the two, for proper vintage show-offiness. Or you could dip into that tiki trend back then and do it all in rattan :gonk:

CmdrRiker posted:

Lovely :3: It's totally okay to design for the period you're in. And just think about the wave of nostalgia that's going to hit people with someday . Did you install that lamp? It's a really nice touch.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I love glass splashbacks, but they're expensive if done right and look crappy if done cheap. I'm also beginning to find fault with the decor of our kitchen, neutral shades of tile, brown laminate worktop, beige cupboard doors, neither of us like the built-in appliances. I want to replace the little square gas hob with one that has the for burners in a line so you're not reaching over and around pans to use the back burners.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Awesome, keep us updated. Also don't overlook how much people used neutrals even for the trendiest designs in that era. A lot of modern takes on midcentury kitsch pile color on color, but the big thing in the early 70s was to pair eye-searing shades with surprisingly muddy shades of cream and taupe. So a 70s color scheme might be candy apple red, slightly mustard-y yellow, avocado, and cream. Also I'd suggest deciding on either wood or plastic as your hard material and sticking to it rather than mixing the two, for proper vintage show-offiness. Or you could dip into that tiki trend back then and do it all in rattan :gonk:

I have a lot of this thought out but I don't want to get too far into it until I can show pictures.

quote:

Lovely :3: It's totally okay to design for the period you're in. And just think about the wave of nostalgia that's going to hit people with someday . Did you install that lamp? It's a really nice touch.

I don't think there's really anything inherently wrong with white cabinets: they go in and out of style like every five years or so. The cabinet doors are pretty timeless, and the only updating that would need to be done if anything else changes in kitchen are the knobs.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Doctor Butts posted:

Are there things about this room you want to change?

I don't think so. I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin. Despite every aspect of the kitchen being well on its way out, it's kinda alright as a collection. I mean, it's a little pedestrian, but it's not exactly offensive either. I'm just going to wait quietly until everything is suddenly a huge disaster. What would you change?

Haha, nope. This was a completely gutted and flipped house. I'm not sure why they decided on the lamp. I've actually never been all that keen on it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CmdrRiker posted:

I don't think so. I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin. Despite every aspect of the kitchen being well on its way out, it's kinda alright as a collection. I mean, it's a little pedestrian, but it's not exactly offensive either. I'm just going to wait quietly until everything is suddenly a huge disaster.
Honestly I can't see that becoming a huge disaster. The key is that the easily-dated elements are all kind of neutral, and they all go well with each other.

It's when people shove in trendy things because MUST HAVE(without thinking about how to coordinate it with the rest of the room) that it gets dated in a bad way.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't think there's really anything inherently wrong with white cabinets: they go in and out of style like every five years or so. The cabinet doors are pretty timeless, and the only updating that would need to be done if anything else changes in kitchen are the knobs.

I personally prefer white cabinets because of how much they can open up a room. The only cabinets that truly horrify me are the dark wooden or dark painted cabinets, no matter what sort of floor or counters they're paired with. And when you already have hardwood floors, it's a bit too much to pair complementary wooden cabinets with it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

CmdrRiker posted:

I personally prefer white cabinets because of how much they can open up a room. The only cabinets that truly horrify me are the dark wooden or dark painted cabinets, no matter what sort of floor or counters they're paired with. And when you already have hardwood floors, it's a bit too much to pair complementary wooden cabinets with it.

THis is what the kitchen I posted on the previous page or so looked like when we moved in.

The white cabinet doors really were an improvement, but I preferred the proper vintage 1950's handles and I like doors to be totally flat, no bevels or details. Also the new "subway tile" or what ever is a big improvement over the old tile.

Still don't like the counter or floor.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

As a New Yorker, subway tile in kitchens/bathrooms/homes makes me convinced everything is filthy and needs to be scrubbed. I know it's me but it makes me twitchy.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

The white cabinet doors really were an improvement, but I preferred the proper vintage 1950's handles and I like doors to be totally flat, no bevels or details. Also the new "subway tile" or what ever is a big improvement over the old tile.

I would have made the same decision with the cabinets. The whole thing together really modernizes it.

WrenP-Complete posted:

As a New Yorker, subway tile in kitchens/bathrooms/homes makes me convinced everything is filthy and needs to be scrubbed. I know it's me but it makes me twitchy.

It's not just you. Dat grout.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think this is really subway tile. I know you can get it this way, but 99% of the time subway tile is flat, not beveled. Or do you mean only the beveled style will go out of fashion?
I haven't studied this in depth. All I know is in those British shows they use the superglossy beveled ones a lot and then call them subway tiles. I haven't verified with the authorities whether this is the correct nomenclature. They would be in every new kitchen (pretending to be) high end and glossy and I don't expect that to be the case anymore by the end of the decade.

The flat ones I only really see adorning shower walls in American shows, but those always feature the same handful of designers, so that doesn't say a lot. The British programs pseudorandomly pick flippers who bought a place at auction, beter reflecting the current interior design memes over there.

Again, I don't think subway tiles of any type will make people want to rip them out any time soon, but some new fad will take over, making the current stuff easily dateable.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I checked out B&Q and Homebase and yup they all look like 1960s fireplaces. Special shout out to "chancery" for the colour scheme and http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/static/simply-hygena-chancery-kitchen and "Brookfield" for daring to be different with herringbone https://www.diy.com/departments/kit...ookfield_mussel

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I haven't studied this in depth. All I know is in those British shows they use the superglossy beveled ones a lot and then call them subway tiles. I haven't verified with the authorities whether this is the correct nomenclature. They would be in every new kitchen (pretending to be) high end and glossy and I don't expect that to be the case anymore by the end of the decade.
It sounds like a UK/US divide then, because it's definitely the opposite here. I think the flat ones will age less badly (and are more sensible; the first thing I want is ease of cleaning), but will also be useful in dating later.

WrenP-Complete posted:

same

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

So speaking of cleaning grout, I was reading one of the old DIY remodel threads and everyone was talking about how glorious it is to clean with baking soda and vinegar as a solution. Baking soda and vinegar is not an effective cleaner and it does not clean out pipes.

The chemical reaction isn't strong enough to dislodge grim, and if you are putting vinegar and baking soda together in a squirt bottle, then you are essentially using them to neutralize each other. Why is this such a popular misconception?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hang on are your subway tiles whitewashed/brick? Because our London Underground (the tube) tiles are ceramic.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

CmdrRiker posted:

I also have the same countertops.

I personally love white cabinetry. It's stupidly easy to maintain and won't clash with whatever appliance finishes become popular in the future or with any new countertop surface.

This fall I'll be repainting the cabinetry in my grandparents' old house, where my sister lives now. My grandpa built the cabinets in the early 60s and painted them white. After paint and new hardware, they'll look as good as the day he put them in.

As an aside, I'm glad that we like the cabinets he built, because my grandpa didn't half-rear end anything, and tearing those things out would be a nightmare.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Hang on are your subway tiles whitewashed/brick? Because our London Underground (the tube) tiles are ceramic.
No, ours are smooth and glazed. Flat surfaces are just slightly easier to keep clean than beveled or textured.

CmdrRiker posted:

So speaking of cleaning grout, I was reading one of the old DIY remodel threads and everyone was talking about how glorious it is to clean with baking soda and vinegar as a solution. Baking soda and vinegar is not an effective cleaner and it does not clean out pipes.

The chemical reaction isn't strong enough to dislodge grim, and if you are putting vinegar and baking soda together in a squirt bottle, then you are essentially using them to neutralize each other. Why is this such a popular misconception?
Because it foams, it must be working!!! And it's natural!!!

Yeah, it drives me nuts too. Bring on the ~chemicals~.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Oh good. A wet bar/laundry room combo.

The carpet really brings out the tiger eyes.

CmdrRiker fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 13, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That void behind the washing machines is going to get nasty.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
All voids behind things will get nasty

I'm halfway done with the living room.The magic erasers worked wonders.

I snapped this pic immediately after putting everything back together after painting. I have a Danish MCM side table to pick up from my mom's place and it will replace the teal table. I just painted the blank wall in a semi gloss so the wallpaper doesn't tear off my paint on the accent wall (the sample you see did just that). My giant rug just went on sale and it will basically cover the whole room. I'm also planning on restoring the Ekornes to it's former glory and maybe flipping it. Also looking for a lamp to fit in, but that will be later when everything is together.

Here's the rug I'm eyeing
https://www.allmodern.com/Mercury-Row-Marcelo-Hand-Tufted-Ivory-Area-Rug-MCRR7867.html

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What an awesome difference!

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

CmdrRiker posted:

What.... color is that paint? It reminds me of unsavory things.

But, I love the surrounding decor.
Something like Webster Green would be pretty close, though I don't know the actual paint used when the house was renovated. "Generic Colonial Revival Green."

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

There seems to be some sort of myth that London Underground tiles are bevelled put about by people selling the tiles online. The real ones, whether white or decorative, are flat:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

NY Subway tiles are also flat.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

CmdrRiker posted:

Are there any other trends from other rooms that might fade away in the next few decades? Much like shag carpet in the 80s? Or are there new trends that are already preferred to things like granite counters and stainless steel?

Literally every trend is going to fade away in the next decade. That's why it's a trend. Trying to avoid trends by naming 'n' shaming them is a fool's errand: your totally non-trendy, ultra modern solution for a countertop has maybe bought you a decade's time of not being lame.

As I see it, the going-out-of-style stuff is:
- Granite countertops
- Tuscan-style anything
- Medium-brown wood finishes

The current "look" is:
- All white everything
- Exposed beams / brick
- Semi-industrial
- Rehashing midcentury stuff
- Tropical plants

The reason this look is trendy? Because only the richest, chicest places have it right now, and it's all real materials and arranged by an actual designer. Your boutiques, bistros, and fancy hotels all look great because someone spent a lot of time and money making it so. Furthermore, it looks good on Instagram (all-white is easy to white-balance if you suck at photography).

Soon, it will trickle down to the Targets and TJ Maxxs of the world, and everyone can have a slightly watered down, much cheaper version. Then it will degrade further and there will be DIY books written on how to paint an "exposed brick" wall over your lovely drywall. Eventually, all everyone will know will be the garbage version of the look, and everyone will scoff at what terrible taste everyone in the 2010s had. They'll all talk about how jacquard wallpaper and Art Deco brass are timeless, how come nobody before 2020 figured that out?

The only way to win at the trendy game is not to play. Buy stuff you like, make it match somewhat. If you have to sell a house, maybe don't do what a previous tenant at my mom's place did and get high on crank and carve a giant rooster into the plaster with a kitchen knife.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

vonnegutt posted:

If you have to sell a house, maybe don't do what a previous tenant at my mom's place did and get high on crank and carve a giant rooster into the plaster with a kitchen knife.
That can only raise the property value, though? :confused:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The real crime is beige light switches over white walls.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
If you are planning a tile project in an area that will be wet/have concerns about the grout getting dirt/moldy--check into using epoxy grout. Epoxy grout is a bit harder to work with and doing very large showers and the like takes some fore thought, but you'll never have to worry about cleaning the grout/resealing.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

The real crime is beige light switches over white walls.

Which turn on [heh heh] those boob lights. Tiddy lamps. The mono funbags with the brass nipple. You know the one.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

HycoCam posted:

If you are planning a tile project in an area that will be wet/have concerns about the grout getting dirt/moldy--check into using epoxy grout. Epoxy grout is a bit harder to work with and doing very large showers and the like takes some fore thought, but you'll never have to worry about cleaning the grout/resealing.

Our shower leaked on LITERALLY THE FIRST USE even though I ran it for over half an hour each on three prior visits with no issue. The cause: shoddy construction and cracked grout. My uncle rerouted with ABC grout and it's been great. "But this is forever -- you want to get rid of this tile, you get rid of the whole floor."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CmdrRiker posted:

It's a perfectly effective cleaner for regular scrubbing. Maybe don't use people who apparently employ it the wrong way as a guide for how and when to use it?