Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Ixian posted:

Is it ABS pipe, old iron pipe, what? Guessing the former if a screw went through it but you never know.

If the holes are small (from screws) and in a vertical section epoxy will do the trick usually. If they are on horizontal sections you can do that as well but there's more chance of it failing in the years ahead, depending on where the hole is. Not that likely though if you prep it correctly and the hole is small enough.

If it is older iron pipe you can use epoxy and put a clamp fitting around it.

In all cases a plumber will tell you the correct approach is to cut out the pierced section and replace it. Which is the best way for certain but will also involve cutting out sections of the wall, etc. and in general be an expensive pain in the rear end as you know, particularly if it is older pipe.

It is a vertical section. He's suggesting using a combination of epoxy and maybe the rustoleum silicone tape, replacing the pipe would involve some serious renovation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Previa_fun posted:

The wife and I bought our first house just over a month ago. Condolences to us. Current projects are basic paint/clean/easy repair work. The house was built in '75 on a concrete slab and is in generally sound condition overall.

We definitely need new HVAC within the next year, maybe two at most. How do I determine whether I'm getting ripped off or not? What should I look for in a contractor for HVAC installation? What size unit do I need? Our house is just under 1300 sq. ft.

Also we had our power company send out a dude to do an "energy audit" and basically replace a bunch of bulbs with LEDs. He also gave us a bunch of documentation on solar panels. Worth it? I'm leaning toward no because we don't intend to live here longer than 5-7 years and the upfront cost is still fairly high.

...But at least I grill. :hfive:

Keep the old bulbs in a closet, take the LEDs with you when you move (unless LEDs are so cheap by that point that they're not worth taking, depends on how much later you move)

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Some electric mowers have cords though.

And they own. There's a fair number of these and if you're fine with trailing a cord behind you (why wouldn't you be?) then they're great

The only downside for mowing multiple lawns would be having to switch plugs, which seems like a small downside for gaining all of the advantages of an electric mower (no oil, no gas, no fumes, less noise, etc)

Hey TuringM, check to see whether the area that you need to mow can be swept through by a 100 foot extension cord. If you're mowing multiple lawns rather than just one enormous lawn then you're probably good to just get an electric mower and a long-rear end high-amp cord

TuringM
Jul 12, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Hey TuringM, check to see whether the area that you need to mow can be swept through by a 100 foot extension cord. If you're mowing multiple lawns rather than just one enormous lawn then you're probably good to just get an electric mower and a long-rear end high-amp cord

Yeah, after reading through some and looking things up, this is kind of where I'm leaning. I think that should be possible, so assuming I can find an actual lawnmower that is palatable price-wise, that might be the route I go.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

The Dave posted:

I also have the 22inch Toro recycler and have done a very poor job taking care of it over the last 5 years, have had to replace a flywheel sheer key once without any idea what I was doing, and it still starts up with zero issues.
I've also treated my 10 year old Toro recycler poorly. I might have drained the oil once. Last year I scraped the deck down. Never replaced the blade. The plastic levers for the handle long came off, forcing me to use gloves to pull the pins to raise/lower the handle. There is zero reason for it to be working.

Still starts up after the first pull.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Can confirm that the Honda push mowers are great

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Bozart posted:

It is a vertical section. He's suggesting using a combination of epoxy and maybe the rustoleum silicone tape, replacing the pipe would involve some serious renovation.

Vertical is easy. No standing water to erode patches, the epoxy will hold fine. Silicon tape on top is probably overkill but it's cheap and you aren't going to see it so why not. You will be fine doing this, I think (not a plumber, just done this before).

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Count me in as another "many"-years-old Toro 22" Recycler owner. My dad bought it off some guy who never changed the blades or oil years ago. I got it off of him for this year. While both myself and my dad changed the oil and kept the blades in good repair, it's seen it's fair share of abuse and still starts up easily on one pull and can chew through grass without leaving too many clippings even if I skip a week. My yard is about a quarter acre, grass-wise.

I don't get the other posters here who are like "UGH GAS MOTORS", but then truck a cord around for a plug in. The maintenance on a push mower is nil. I get one five gallon can of gas, fill it (maybe) twice a year, and change the oil once a season. It's dead simple.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Gas mowers are noisy and smell bad. I like my Ryobi 40V mower. And the batteries fit my blower and trimmer so I have absolutely no gas/oil in my garage.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

WarMECH posted:

and smell bad.

Woah let's not say anything outlandish now

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

WarMECH posted:

Gas mowers are noisy and smell bad. I like my Ryobi 40V mower. And the batteries fit my blower and trimmer so I have absolutely no gas/oil in my garage.

Pretty much this. Also I fill up my car like six times a year, getting gas for my mower would be going out of my way.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

WarMECH posted:

Battery powered is a little better, but you're still lacking in power and most don't have self propelled options. Also, the batteries are like $100-140. Which is like a over a decade's worth of gas and oil costs for a walk behind mower.

How long do the batteries last before they need replacement?

I mean, electric is better in theory, but I don't think they've surpassed gas yet unless you have a small, level yard.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
I have a small (1/4 acre) yard that is very flat. My 5A battery lasts long enough to cut the grass and begin edging/trimming before it runs out. Then I switch to the "slim" battery (1.8A, I think) that came with the blower and trimmer to finish the job.

At my old house I had a riding mower and gas push mower, with gas trimmer to go with it, and after using the battery stuff for the last year there is no way I would ever go back. I understand that battery powered stuff isn't feasible for large yards but for my current situation it's perfect.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I basically agree with the above post. I have a medium sized yard and use a battery system. A single 5A battery mows my entire property. For me the cost premium was justified primarily by the fact that I did not have a good place to store a ICE mower and spare gasoline, but I can store my electric on in my walkout basement just fine since there are 0 fumes. After owning it though, I would also justify it by its superior user experience. I have had o issues with power or run time, the mower is way way quieter and there are no vibrations when pushing it. It never occurred to me that it could be better with my old ICE mower, but I would never go back now.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I've switched to electric for string trimmer/blower/edger and it suits my needs just fine.

I'm already all-in on Ryobi 18v OnePlus lithium for all my other cordless tools, so I already had 4 smaller batteries plus I got 4AH batteries with the string trimmer and blower.

You can pry my Honda Toro Super Recycler from my cold dead hands though, it's on its fourth season and has been absolutely flawless to start.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

For what it's worth I have a cheapo battery powered Ryobi lightweight trimmer and blower as well, although they're 18v. But I'm not sold on the mowers. Maybe in another 5 years of development or battery advances. I have a feeling they'll always be limited to small level yards though.

Really, the battery replacement is what I think will do you in, even if you have an appropriate yard. From my experience with cordless tools (and from reviews of the Ryobi batteries online), battery lifetimes are somewhere between 1-3 years of regular use. That's going to be costly, and battery powered electric mowers are already significantly more expensive than gas powered ones.

My overall point is that the glowing reviews electric mowers get in this thread are pretty situational and should be taken with a grain of salt.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 13, 2017

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

TuringM posted:

Yeah, after reading through some and looking things up, this is kind of where I'm leaning. I think that should be possible, so assuming I can find an actual lawnmower that is palatable price-wise, that might be the route I go.
Check out the Lowes Kobalt KM210 corded mower, it kicks rear end and has excellent mulching performance.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Out of curiosity, do people with corded mowers ever run over the cord?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZVOLXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was $119 at the time. The thing I like most about it is it just instantly starts with the press of a button. If you happen to bog it down, just press the button, instantly started again. It definitely doesn't have the power of a gas mower, but it's also a lot lighter and quieter. Cord is slightly annoying for me on my front yard because it's going up and down this curved hill, but I can deal with it. It would be pretty hard for me to accidentally run over my cord, it's bright yellow and thick as gently caress, you know if it's gonna be in the way or not.

I actually considered buying on of those fully manual unpowered mechanical mowers, until I saw that those were nearly $100...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ashcans posted:

You should avoid doing it, but most of the time if you do run over it, you don't cut the cord at all. Because you should be mowing with your deck set fairly high, and the cord tens to nestle down into the grass.

That said, always use a grounded, outdoor cord with good visibility (mine is bright orange) and don't drive over it. I think I've only done it maybe once? after seven plus years of mowing with one. I've seen others do it once or twice without consequence.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
And if you do drive over it, stop, unplug it from the wall, and make certain it's still in good shape before you continue.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ashcans posted:

They totally do, when I was shopping around there were some reviewers on Amazon complaining about having done this

Don't use a green extension cord and don't mow the lawn drunk I guess

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

QuarkJets posted:

don't mow the lawn drunk I guess

What am I gonna do, mow the lawn sober? Let's be reasonable.

Also seconding being all in the Ryobi, I use it as my edger/trimmer and keep two batteries in their docks ready to go for it any other of the power tools I use.

Still, I have a lovely low budget mower whose brand I can't remember that's on its third season with no blade or oil changes and still starts on the first pull. :getin:

Higgy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 13, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I hired contractors to put in the foundation slab for my workshop, I found a fairly sizable, empty tequila bottle in the yard afterwards. I consider myself lucky that a) they didn't gently caress up (I watched pretty much the entire process), and b) it was only one bottle.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Plus side of detached home living: in the last month I've seen foxes, geese, ducks, deer, rabbits, a heron, bats, bluejays, feral cats, a groundhog that was not scared of me, cardinals, robins, frogs, snakes, and coyotes in my yard. It's a loving zoo out there.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Ashcans posted:

I've definitely severed a couple of extension cords with a hedge trimmer in my lifetime, which is why the first cordless yard tool I bought was a hedge trimmer when we bought our house.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When I hired contractors to put in the foundation slab for my workshop, I found a fairly sizable, empty tequila bottle in the yard afterwards. I consider myself lucky that a) they didn't gently caress up (I watched pretty much the entire process), and b) it was only one bottle.

Awww, baby's first concrete hire.

The last slab I had poured and finished consisted of providing extra beer for the two finishers at 9:30 in the morning because the talsies they were sitting in the foreman's truck drinking at 8 AM weren't enough to get them working to my satisfaction through last night's hangover.

I had to dole them out based on "just drunk enough to not be in pain" and "too drunk to get the slope to the drains right."

This is concrete.txt

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Ashcans posted:

Bit of duct tape and it's grand

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
This time next month, I'm going to have about two weeks between getting the keys to my new home and when I need to start moving into it because my apartment lease ends. Here's what I want to get done in terms of repairs and remodeling during that time span:

*Get an electrician in to fix some minor items from the inspection report
*Get a plumber in to fix some minor items from the inspection report
*Get an HVAC person in to do some routine servicing
*Hire someone to install new carpeting (about 350 sq. ft.) in the bedrooms/hallway and new wood laminate or vinyl flooring (about 500 sq. ft.) in the living room, kitchen, and entryway
*Hire someone to paint all interior walls for a 1,000 sq. ft. home
*Paint kitchen cabinetry (small galley kitchen) myself
*Hire someone to replace kitchen countertops

It strikes me that this is probably unrealistic to get done in that time span, and that I need to delay a few of these things. I really, really want to get all of the flooring and painting done before moving my poo poo in, even if it means touching up some scratches and nicks from the moving process itself. If I cut things down to painting, floors, and the plumber for that two week span, does that seem more realistic?

Also, for the wall painting and flooring, putting aside materials, what would be a reasonable labor cost to pay in a mid-sized city? Ballpark is fine, I'm mainly looking to figure out which is in the $250 range, $500 range, $1,000 range, and so on.

Lastly, is it weird or totally normal to have multiple contractors working at the same time if they're not working in the same area? Might be a way to get either the electric or HVAC work done while the plumber is in if the scheduling works out.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
You are in for a treat, but you probably already know that :)

Rule of thumb is always, always get floors out of the way first, followed by plumbing (depends on the amount of plumbing work) followed by electric. And then all the other crap, including painting. It is generally easier/cheaper to paint a house that no one (and no furniture) is in yet, but that isn't the longest pole in the tent. For example your electric person may need to cut in to drywall and they sure as poo poo aren't going to fix it too. Painting and drywall work is best left to right before you move in, if possible.

As for cost, and whether multiples can be on site...really depends on your specific area and availability? Is it possible to have an electrician and plumber on site at the same time? Of course it is. Can you actually make that happen? Well, you are about to find out :)

Welcome to home ownership. A whole new world is ready to be explored by you.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

surf rock posted:

This time next month, I'm going to have about two weeks between getting the keys to my new home and when I need to start moving into it because my apartment lease ends. Here's what I want to get done in terms of repairs and remodeling during that time span:

*Get an electrician in to fix some minor items from the inspection report
*Get a plumber in to fix some minor items from the inspection report
*Get an HVAC person in to do some routine servicing
*Hire someone to install new carpeting (about 350 sq. ft.) in the bedrooms/hallway and new wood laminate or vinyl flooring (about 500 sq. ft.) in the living room, kitchen, and entryway
*Hire someone to paint all interior walls for a 1,000 sq. ft. home
*Paint kitchen cabinetry (small galley kitchen) myself
*Hire someone to replace kitchen countertops

It strikes me that this is probably unrealistic to get done in that time span, and that I need to delay a few of these things. I really, really want to get all of the flooring and painting done before moving my poo poo in, even if it means touching up some scratches and nicks from the moving process itself. If I cut things down to painting, floors, and the plumber for that two week span, does that seem more realistic?

Also, for the wall painting and flooring, putting aside materials, what would be a reasonable labor cost to pay in a mid-sized city? Ballpark is fine, I'm mainly looking to figure out which is in the $250 range, $500 range, $1,000 range, and so on.

Lastly, is it weird or totally normal to have multiple contractors working at the same time if they're not working in the same area? Might be a way to get either the electric or HVAC work done while the plumber is in if the scheduling works out.

Thanks for any advice you may have!

There isn't any reason specifically that you couldn't get all that done in that time frame, the issue is mostly if you can get people scheduled for the time frame and whether or not if you manage to do that, the close will happen on the day you expect and it doesn't get pushed out farther throwing off your scheduling. Generally, you can find a plumber/electrician/hvac person/etc with room on their schedule for you within a week or two(depending on your area/choosiness), so all of those items can be scheduled once you are more sure of your time table most likely. But flooring and painting and replacing countertops are going to require more scheduling lead time, so you potentially need to start scheduling now and hope you don't have to push it out. And if possible, painting should really be the last thing done to avoid having to revisit as a result of things the other contractors do.

Depending on your area, other factors can include irresponsible contractors that don't actually show up as scheduled/reschedule on you because another job went long/etc. So just be prepared for the worst so you don't stress out if things don't align.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

It's definitely doable to have multiple tradesmen working at once and unless you or someone else is available for during the day appointments I'd recommend trying to arrange it that way.

As far as HVAC goes I feel like having them do regular maintenance for you is kinda bullshit. If you're capable of dusting off poo poo in the air handler and operating a hose you can do it yourself for nothing. The most important maintenance for a system is coil cleaning and you can do that with a hose and water. If your system is really lovely you might want to get Nubrite coil cleaner and/or fin combs if the condenser fins are bent.

Outside of replacing filters, dusting off electrical components and cleaning coils (which is usually $100+ extra) all they're really doing is looking for problems that might occur down the road to sell you repairs for. I suppose if they find a bad contactor or something you'd save money on the diagnosis when it fails in the future. Generally the only people getting real value from HVAC maintenance plans are businesses that lose serious money in the event of an outage.

King Burgundy makes a good point. Lead times may be long right now. Almost any decent HVAC place will have no time to fit a one off inspection into their schedule right now.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 15, 2017

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
That's all really good advice, thank you. One other question: I'm sure it's more expensive to install quartz countertops than laminate countertops. I've got about 12 sq. ft. of countertop space to cover (it's a small galley kitchen).

I poked around online and some places are saying that the installation cost for quartz would be like $300 and other places are saying like $1,000. Either of those figures sound more right, from those of you who had a stone countertop installed?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

surf rock posted:

That's all really good advice, thank you. One other question: I'm sure it's more expensive to install quartz countertops than laminate countertops. I've got about 12 sq. ft. of countertop space to cover (it's a small galley kitchen).

I poked around online and some places are saying that the installation cost for quartz would be like $300 and other places are saying like $1,000. Either of those figures sound more right, from those of you who had a stone countertop installed?

Does one of those include materials + labor and the other just materials? Or does one assume nothing to put the counter on?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Does one of those include materials + labor and the other just materials? Or does one assume nothing to put the counter on?

Those were just labor (I think), but it's hard to say with these websites. I've already got cabinets that are fine (I just need to paint them) and I'll get be getting and installing a backsplash separately at some point down the line. I do know what the countertop itself would cost (about $50/sq. ft.), so the labor cost of installation is the missing piece in terms of getting an estimate into my remodeling budget.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Feeling like redecorating? Consider child mannequins bolted to the ceilings! Of course, you can keep your other mannequins on the ground too, in every single floor and room.

http://www.har.com/4302-colony-west-dr/sale_78077894

Only 1.275 million!

:tif:

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

baquerd posted:

Feeling like redecorating? Consider child mannequins bolted to the ceilings! Of course, you can keep your other mannequins on the ground too, in every single floor and room.

http://www.har.com/4302-colony-west-dr/sale_78077894

Only 1.275 million!

:tif:

I like how the realtor tries very deliberately not to get caught up in the musk of mental illness radiating off this place in thick, syrupy waves.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I like how the realtor tries very deliberately not to get caught up in the musk of mental illness radiating off this place in thick, syrupy waves.

You can see the owner on the mower in some pics. (Warning it works like the black circle movie).

You will have to put a mannequin in every room of your house or die.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
While I was at work today my girlfriend handled dealing with the vent cleaners, who threw in a free sanitizer treatment and a dryer hookup cleaning.

Big props, lady. Big props.

I will have a fresh new old new house smell when I get home.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Elephanthead posted:

You can see the owner on the mower in some pics. (Warning it works like the black circle movie).

I'm pretty sure that's a mannequin on the mower, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

I would guess that a person who owns a house that valuable might not do his own mowing.

e. OK yeah that's a mannequin.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 20, 2017