Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No direct experience, but do they actually get the mpg numbers it says on the tin, or is it just fantasy?

If it were me I'd get one of the FIRE based 4 pots, because they've had 30 years practice making them and they're a relatively known quantity to me.

I think the Multijet diesel is reasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

The Locator posted:

It's not intended for long-term use.

Darn right :v: a (healthy) liver is pretty resilient but Tylenol ain't nothing to gently caress wit.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Larrymer posted:

No problem. There are a lot of hoops I had to jump through with insurance here too, pretty annoying when you're in pain.

I didn't mention much about recovery. I was off work for 6 weeks but could have probably come back sooner, some go back right away. I wore a back brace to keep it straight (but the pain/stitches would let you know if you weren't upright, haha) for that time and also so people know not to come jump at you or pick you up (friends, if I had them :v:). Decent amount of pain pills but it was never that bad after the first couple days. Walking is encouraged afterward, but the first few days a 1/4 mile (with a walker, mind you) would leave me shaking in a cold sweat, so go slow.

Thank gently caress Canada :) No insurance bullshit, and work will cover short-term disability on it no problem. We figured 6 weeks, and I'll likely take the first few days off to take care of her until she can at least make it around the house alright.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm really hoping there's nothing unexpected, like black death. The compressor didn't seize (clutch came apart, and possible front shaft seal leak), but given the price, and the miles, it made more sense to just replace the whole thing.

Welp there's yer problem.

Old compressor was definitely an OEM one (has GM and Sanden stickers on it, no reman stickers anywhere), but the bolts holding it to the engine were finger tight. :stare: System was also loaded up with UV dye. So someone's been in here before.

Think I dodged a bullet. Old compressor is a little rough when turning it. Didn't see any shavings though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 13, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Slack invitation to username at gmail please?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And klintor at gmail

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Invites sent

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Does anyone have the thread bookmarked where someone was restoring an old 60's or 70's police car?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tomarse posted:

U.K./Euro goons - Does anybody here know anything about or have experience of fiat twin-air engines?

Coming from a 3cyl 1l Toyota a 2cyl 0.9l turbo appeals to me... but should I consider cars with 70k miles already on them or am I looking for trouble with that?

Driving-wise, it's a nice engine. Good amount of torque for the size and a bit of turbo fun. Surprisingly smooth, too.

Expect to get 2/3rds or less of the promised mileage. To hit the official numbers, you have to really work for it with super eco driving, never ever exceeding 2.5K RPM or anything more than a feather light touch on the fun pedal.

The old 1.2L four-cylinder FIRE engine is much easier to drive economically.

Both are less fun to drive like an idiot, compared to the Toyota 3-cylinder.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 13, 2017

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I've never driven the multi air engine, but I've driven the the multiair, but I've had the Vauxhall, Ford and Citroen little turbos lately and I'd say Dave is right about fuel economy. I was getting 37-43 average, when I would be getting 45-50 in a modern diesel. I don't doubt you can get high MPG out of them, but you would be driving like such an angel you might as well have a diesel.

On the other hand they are much more fun than a diesel, so if you don't mind not getting the stated mpg they are a good choice.

I had a 1.2 turbo Citroen Cactus for a few weeks and it was an utter riot. Totally changed my opinion of them - I would have one over a Ford Focus any day. Best worst economy I managed was 28 mpg over 60 miles of A and B roads - its claimed economy is 66mpg 🙈

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man I am getting pretty goddamn sick of the world not being built for someone with my frame. Being fat I can deal with, but I'm pretty goddamn sick of, when I'm at school, choosing between:

A) Sticking my feet way the gently caress out in the aisle, when such luxury is available to me
B) Jamming my knee up into the little postage stamp desk on exam days where I need it to write
C) Crossing my feet over each other to where I'm basically sitting indian style while in a chair, which puts all the weight of my legs on the edge of my feet, to where they're starting to hurt while I walk

Please tell me that loving adult jobs have the option of adult-sized furniture where this won't be an issue. I'm having to make a lift for my new office chair because I have the same issue (and my desk, too) at home.

And don't you shortasses come whining about me not being grateful for the ~~blessing~~ of being tall; you can get a stool, I'm stuck with these loving redwood legs for the rest of my life. I have to shove the brake pedal to the floor to get my knee under the steering wheel when I get in the car, and I drive a crown vic.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I kinda consider being short to be a bit of a blessing for exactly the same reasons.

The worst I have to deal with is moving the seat up a bit in a car. I'm not super short, but I think average height for a US male is around 5'9" or 5'10"? I'm about 5'7".

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

No direct experience, but do they actually get the mpg numbers it says on the tin, or is it just fantasy?

If it were me I'd get one of the FIRE based 4 pots, because they've had 30 years practice making them and they're a relatively known quantity to me.

I think the Multijet diesel is reasonable?

KozmoNaut posted:

Driving-wise, it's a nice engine. Good amount of torque for the size and a bit of turbo fun. Surprisingly smooth, too.

Expect to get 2/3rds or less of the promised mileage. To hit the official numbers, you have to really work for it with super eco driving, never ever exceeding 2.5K RPM or anything more than a feather light touch on the fun pedal.

The old 1.2L four-cylinder FIRE engine is much easier to drive economically.

Both are less fun to drive like an idiot, compared to the Toyota 3-cylinder.

Cheers guys. I'd never expect to hit the manufacturers mpg. I've got 65,000 miles logged in my Aygo with 48.16 mpg as the overall average. Toyota state 69mpg combined... I'm not in this for exacting economy figures, just a cheap car that I don't have to fix or spend money on.

I love my Aygo, but I have decided If i'm going to spend 4 hours per day sat in it that I want a car with more comforts in the form of aircon and preferably a sunroof. The Aygo only came with those options from 2015. That is still too new for my preferred car budget (maybe in 2 more years)

The panda however has come with both of those options forever so its easy to find a decently priced one.

The 1.2 just seems really boring and is a slight performance drop from the Aygo. I was hoping the twinair might retain some more of the 'drive like an idiot' factor that the 3cyl has.

I'll go test drive one and see how it feels.

Enourmo posted:

Man I am getting pretty goddamn sick of the world not being built for someone with my frame. Being fat I can deal with, but I'm pretty goddamn sick of, when I'm at school, choosing between:

A) Sticking my feet way the gently caress out in the aisle, when such luxury is available to me
B) Jamming my knee up into the little postage stamp desk on exam days where I need it to write
C) Crossing my feet over each other to where I'm basically sitting indian style while in a chair, which puts all the weight of my legs on the edge of my feet, to where they're starting to hurt while I walk

Please tell me that loving adult jobs have the option of adult-sized furniture where this won't be an issue. I'm having to make a lift for my new office chair because I have the same issue (and my desk, too) at home.

And don't you shortasses come whining about me not being grateful for the ~~blessing~~ of being tall; you can get a stool, I'm stuck with these loving redwood legs for the rest of my life. I have to shove the brake pedal to the floor to get my knee under the steering wheel when I get in the car, and I drive a crown vic.

How tall are you?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tomarse posted:

The 1.2 just seems really boring and is a slight performance drop from the Aygo. I was hoping the twinair might retain some more of the 'drive like an idiot' factor that the 3cyl has.

The 1.2 is 9hp down originally (it got 68hp in later revisions), but it has more torque at lower RPM. So in the real world, it doesn't feel slower.

E: my Panda had the 1.3L multijet diesel. 70hp, rather good mileage, and probably the rev-happiest diesel I've ever driven. But it took forever to warm up in the winter, and a diesel engine is just wrong in such a small car.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 13, 2017

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Enourmo posted:

Everytime I get this i kneel and show em the dents/scars/scratches on my head from where I lay frame on loving everything.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

Cheers guys. I'd never expect to hit the manufacturers mpg. I've got 65,000 miles logged in my Aygo with 48.16 mpg as the overall average. Toyota state 69mpg combined... I'm not in this for exacting economy figures, just a cheap car that I don't have to fix or spend money on.

I love my Aygo, but I have decided If i'm going to spend 4 hours per day sat in it that I want a car with more comforts in the form of aircon and preferably a sunroof. The Aygo only came with those options from 2015. That is still too new for my preferred car budget (maybe in 2 more years)

The panda however has come with both of those options forever so its easy to find a decently priced one.

Panda 100HP seems like a logical one to try.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

CommieGIR posted:

Ah yes, DARE, another ineffective waste of money.

My DARE officer back in high school:

"James Trimble, the fired Urbandale police officer who stole $20,000 worth of methamphetamine from his department, was spared prison Thursday for his felony drug conviction. Judge Leo Oxberger sentenced Trimble to two years' probation, a $1,000 fine and 100 hours of community service.
'I'm convinced this is a one-time incident for you,' the judge said. The sentence angered prosecutors, who along with presentence investigators recommended up to 10 years in prison for the crime."

"About 4 a.m. on New Year's Day, Trimble was arrested driving his mother's van in an inner-city Des Moines neighborhood.

Police say they found about 7 ounces - $20,000 worth - of methamphetamine, in addition to marijuana, LSD and cocaine." ...

"Authorities said numerous sexually explicit videotapes and pictures were found in the van, including photos of Trimble. He had a battery-operated sexual device inserted in his body when arrested, police said." ...

"The 18-year veteran headed Urbandale's Drug Abuse Resistance Education program and acted as liaison officer between police and the suburb's schools." He had also coached ninth-grade girls' basketball and volleyball. "We don't just teach kids what drugs look like," Trimble said in a 1992 interview. "We teach life skills needed to say no to drugs, alcohol and tobacco." ...

"Trimble, 44, is required to spend his community-service time giving anti-drug speeches to students. He conducted such talks as a police officer in Urbandale schools."

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Man, sounds like he knows how to have a good time.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 13, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

The power is nice, but the suspension is punishingly hard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

KozmoNaut posted:

Unfortunately they didn't put the 1.4 16v lump in the 4x4!

Though I do have one in the parts pile (hey, it was £25!)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I would love to have the 1.4L and the uprated brakes in an otherwise standard Panda.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Why not just put standard suspension on a 100HP?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My '08 1.2 fire panda has been completely trouble free and I have to work hard to get the economy below 50. In retrospect I'd have either bought the cheapest one I could find and treated it as disposable, or spent a little more for a 500 but I'm sticking with this until my needs change.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Now you're just being silly ;)

But yes, that would work too, I'm just not a huge fan of the plastic cladding.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

cursedshitbox posted:

Everytime I get this i kneel and show em the dents/scars/scratches on my head from where I lay frame on loving everything.

I'm not even that tall (hair over 6'0) and I loving crack my noggin on poo poo.
I'm also fat, so I'm just a large slab of wasted meat. With legs the size of oaks. I'd rather be shorter and skinnier (or at least skinnier)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tomarse posted:

How tall are you?

6'5". I'm at that magic proportion, too, where both my legs and torso are inconveniently long.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm the weirdo that would buy a Cactus if offered in the US.

:colbert:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

InitialDave posted:

The MPG on those is poo poo though for a small car. Went away with some mates a few years ago and a couple of us drove and my mates Panda 100hp got pretty much the same MPG as the Saab 9-3 I had at the time!

KozmoNaut posted:

This too.

cakesmith handyman posted:

My '08 1.2 fire panda has been completely trouble free and I have to work hard to get the economy below 50. In retrospect I'd have either bought the cheapest one I could find and treated it as disposable, or spent a little more for a 500 but I'm sticking with this until my needs change.

I'm not totally sold on the 500 yet. I'm still not convinced that the looks are worth the price premium over the Panda for the same spec combos and they are definitely not as roomy inside.

I test drove a Panda twinair today and it felt much nippier than my Agyo and was nice to drive so I bought it!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Liquid Communism posted:

My DARE officer back in high school:

"James Trimble, ....

'I'm convinced this is a one-time incident for you,' the judge said.

"Trimble, 44, is required to spend his community-service time giving anti-drug speeches to students. He conducted such talks as a police officer in Urbandale schools."

I guaranfuckingtee that if it was me or you that got nailed with that much meth, we'd be spending a lot more time in jail than the 10 years the prosecution wanted for this guy, let alone 2 years probation and 100 hours of chatting with high school kid about how to throw a party how evil drugs are.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Goober Peas posted:

I'm the weirdo that would buy a Cactus if offered in the US.

:colbert:

I might actually try and get a test ride in one, I reckon I'd end up liking the odd-looking yet strangely endearing thing. I'd then drop it and put some cool wheels on it.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I might actually try and get a test ride in one, I reckon I'd end up liking the odd-looking yet strangely endearing thing. I'd then drop it and put some cool wheels on it.

From the 1800 miles I did in a 1.2 turbo: They feel like a PSA car from the 90's. And that's a good thing. Its quick* enough to feel sporty, but it definitely isn't trying to be sporty - no rev counter, soft suspension, big balloon tyres. But like a Pug or Citroen from the 90's it's very capable at being hussled along quickly, and it feels planted and stable. It's only a 5 speed but a 6th cog would be wasted. And it cruises at 90 superbly.

The ride could be a bit better, and the infotainment is shite, but that's liveable. The rear windows only pop out, they don't roll down. Some materials feel cheap. It's quirky, but that's what Citroen's should be. Unlike the Ford ecoboost it takes standard unleaded.

I definitely want one when they get cheaper.

*By 80's standards anyway.... it's quicker than an xr3i!

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Enourmo posted:

6'5". I'm at that magic proportion, too, where both my legs and torso are inconveniently long.

I'm 5'6 with short legs, AMA.

Pros: Can fit in sports cars and airline seats semi comfortably.
Cons: No woman will sleep with me.

5/10 would not manlet again.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Something is pushing me to want to buy a CNC machine. Something that I can start making billet aluminum parts from. It seems like there would be demand to have access to a machine like that. I am saying that as while I feel confident in my current occupation it is always good to have something in reserve. I am wanting to either look into manufacturing/selling things or learn some sort of high paying skill trade. I don't even know where to begin on this though. It is normal to have thoughts like this, right?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just checking in, 5'8" now 170lbs.

I fit in every car/desk/bed/space capsule ever conceived of.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Welp there's yer problem.

Old compressor was definitely an OEM one (has GM and Sanden stickers on it, no reman stickers anywhere), but the bolts holding it to the engine were finger tight. :stare: System was also loaded up with UV dye. So someone's been in here before.

Think I dodged a bullet. Old compressor is a little rough when turning it. Didn't see any shavings though.

Geeze - I didn't see the clutch detail on my phone when you pinged me. That's hosed proper.

Enourmo posted:

Username/post combo.

I'm 6'2" and don't have quite those issues, but that's tall enough to begin to feel your pain. I can't drive a Miata first gen at all with the top up, and barely with the top down. 3rd gen I can drive but still not terribly comfortable. Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice are right out. I could drive the Fiat 500 if they hadn't mounted the seat on a scaffolding (there's plenty of actual vertical distance inside the car, but they mounted the seat like 2 feet off the floor, so it crams my head against the roof.Damned short Italians.) Hell. I just barely fit in my first and second gen RX-7s. 3rd gen is a tight fit, and forget a helmet unless there's a custom lower-mounted and/or thinner racing seat.

As far as work and desk/chair size: YMMV, in my experience. Some desks are way too short, some are better. Good news is that usually, with cubicles, you can move them around, since the desktop just hangs like a shelf. Chairs are a crap shoot, though most of them I are about right for me at their highest extension.

Enourmo posted:

Yeah, me, too. Evenly split between legs and upper body.

Previa_fun posted:

Oh, god, don't even talk to me about airline seats. I can't even imaging Enourmo in coach.
On the plus side, I can reach stuff in the overhead bin great!

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Enourmo posted:

Now your username makes sense and yeah I feel you on the height thing.

E: plane seats on regional jets suck. Work does get easier otherwise, just be sure to get up from your desk on occasion to stretch. That kinda applies to everyone.

rdb fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 13, 2017

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I see the Aztec designer found a new job.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

Hey short buddy (5'4") :smith::hf::smith:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Something is pushing me to want to buy a CNC machine. Something that I can start making billet aluminum parts from. It seems like there would be demand to have access to a machine like that. I am saying that as while I feel confident in my current occupation it is always good to have something in reserve. I am wanting to either look into manufacturing/selling things or learn some sort of high paying skill trade. I don't even know where to begin on this though. It is normal to have thoughts like this, right?

For us? Yes.
If you're any kind of handy with electronics and computers, you can buy an older (analog?) CNC and upgrade it to a more modern system using a PC and some interface boards, along with new steppers. My late brother in law was doing this as a side business, as well as to get cheaper machines for his machine shop business. He was going to coach me through refitting one of the machines for my own use, but sadly, the cancer got him before we had a chance. It would have been entertaining getting the mill into my garage, but I was willing to try.
If we can figure out which machine he was wanting to give me, I still want to give it a try.

Speaking of home fabrication, what's AI's recommendations for a 3D printer? Unfortunately, I can't really spend $1500 on one, so what's the best bang/buck? What I've read so far, the Monoprice Maker series are very good for the price, and support Open source and standard G-code, with a lot of features not normally found at the price point. I can swing $400 for a Maker Select Plus. there really doesn't seem to be much below $500. Hell, there's not a lot below $1000.
I want to make widgets!

Kind of inspired by the guy making wiper and pop-up headlight bushings for RX-7s (they're unobtainium unless you buy a whole linkage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

im 6'9" and 420lbs

• Locked thread