Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

KickerOfMice posted:

Owned. gtfo Denny's.

Both are poo poo. Original Pancake House is supreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Sinteres posted:

The optimistic way to look at this is that he just doesn't want to be the third vote against if he doesn't have to be, and they're all playing an elaborate game of chicken to see who the first domino to fall will be. Who knows though.

I think they are quietly hoping Murkowski bails them out. Heller, Capito, and Portman all probably face bigger primary threats for opposing Trump, and Murkowski isn't up for reelection until 2022

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Reik posted:

I was asking, I just should have clarified that the medical care I was referring to was stuff like MRIs. Didn't mean to be agresssive, sorry.

canadian goon spotted

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

This poo poo is both horrible and inevitable. It might be worth dragging our feet to slow these things down, but as long as a single terrorist can kill dozens or hundreds of people, and as long as we don't decide periodic attacks are just background noise (we're nowhere near that), security measures are only going to increase. They might not actually help anything of course, but 'we have to do something!'

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sinteres posted:

This poo poo is both horrible and inevitable. It might be worth dragging our feet to slow these things down, but as long as a single terrorist can kill dozens or hundreds of people, and as long as we don't decide periodic attacks are just background noise (we're nowhere near that), security measures are only going to increase.

Periodic attacks are just background noise. We just call them "mass shootings" not terror attacks.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

WTF is going on here? This reminds me of a man trying to pickup a woman in a bar or something.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
This can only end well
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/885569690143215616

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Chilichimp posted:

canadian goon spotted

Texan goon :clint:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CmdrRiker posted:

WTF is going on here? This reminds me of a man trying to pickup a woman in a bar or something.

If you see a man trying to pick up a woman at a bar by yanking her around him you might want to call the police.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Periodic attacks are just background noise. We just call them "mass shootings" not terror attacks.

But those guys are white.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

God loving dammit... and he's doing this while he's abroad? WTF?

...what happens if they rescind his travel rights? Like, not physically restrain him, but keep him from using government-owned facilities like, say, airports?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Why the hell would I go to your mad country

I've got a perfectly insane one right here

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

ZorajitZorajit posted:

gently caress if I know. They sit in the cube opposite mine and talk like AM radio constantly. What I gleaned of that is that Trump said this to the wife of some French politician at the G-20. Pence = Family Values is their go to for that strain of cognitive dissonance.

'Fit' is Brit for 'hot'.

I guess Trump let the mask slip and spoke like the educated global elite he is for once?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I hope every country tells us to gently caress off

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Push El Burrito posted:

If you see a man trying to pick up a woman at a bar by yanking her around him you might want to call the police.

Unfortunately this body language happens a lot, and as a woman you kinda just deal with it until you start to feel like walking away from the situation isn't sending the message directly enough.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

LaserShark posted:

God loving dammit... and he's doing this while he's abroad? WTF?

...what happens if they rescind his travel rights? Like, not physically restrain him, but keep him from using government-owned facilities like, say, airports?

Playing a game of "What if I went on a weekend vacation with someone and just left them there? Would that be okay?" with the President of the United States seems like a really bad idea.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Lacking any other context, that is somewhat concerning.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

nachos posted:

I hope every country tells us to gently caress off

same, but Israel will happily oblige.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Sinteres posted:

Playing a game of "What if I went on a weekend vacation with someone and just left them there? Would that be okay?" with the President of the United States seems like a really bad idea.

This entire presidency is a really bad idea. My question still stands.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

LaserShark posted:

This entire presidency is a really bad idea. My question still stands.

This entire United States of America experiment is turning out really bad.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

CmdrRiker posted:

He tries to pull her in close because he's a creep, and when she keeps her distance he instead moves in closer and puts his right hand on her left arm, again, because he's a creep.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sinteres posted:

But those guys are white.

That's how you know it's not terrorism. They're all lone wolves

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

"I'm sorry, I did the best I could. I just couldn't stop the medicaid cuts before voting yes"

https://twitter.com/JoePWilliams31/status/885569973757906944

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Xae posted:

Ate at OPHO in Poway while visiting future in-laws. Will sign onto that statement

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

Reik posted:

He tries to pull her in close because he's a creep, and when she keeps her distance he instead moves in closer and puts his right hand on her left arm, again, because he's a creep.

I guess it is too much to expect that given all of his publicized scandals of being a loving creep to women, no one has taught him how to be on his best behavior when being within a few feet of a woman.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

CmdrRiker posted:

I guess it is too much to expect that given all of his publicized scandals of being a loving creep to women, no one has taught him how to be on his best behavior when being within a few feet of a woman.

You say this like it is possible for Donald to learn, and retain, anything new

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I think the remaining "moderates" are playing chicken with one another more than McConnell. They know the bill is toxic but they don't want to be "the deciding vote." That said Heller's noncommitance makes me think he's given up on 2018 and is just angling for that golden parachute. Cause man, the attack ads write themselves.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Backdoor muslim ban? Of course possibly a hell of a lot more nations and people could get hit by this.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lmfao here goes another round of the trump admin getting told to gently caress off, this time by literally every country on earth.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

He couldn't even get his own states to hand over information, what does he think he is going to get out of foreign powers?

Of course it could be that they know no one will give them info, allowing them to sanction anyone that they want.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
The actual Reuters article: Exclusive: U.S. demands nations provide more traveler data or face sanctions

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. State Department will require all nations to provide extensive data to help it vet visa applicants and determine whether a traveler poses a terrorist threat, according to a cable obtained by Reuters.

Countries that fail to comply with the new protocols or take steps to do so within 50 days could face travel sanctions.

The cable, sent to all U.S. diplomatic posts on Wednesday, is a summary of a worldwide review of vetting procedures that was required under Trump’s revised March 6 executive order that banned U.S. travel by most citizens from six predominantly Muslim countries.

The memo lays out a series of standards the U.S. will require of other countries, including that they issue, or have active plans to issue, electronic passports and regularly report lost and stolen passports to INTERPOL.

It also directs nations to provide "any other identity information" requested by Washington for U.S. visa applicants, including biometric or biographic details.

The cable sets out requirements for countries to provide data on individuals it knows or has grounds to believe are terrorists as well as criminal record information.

Further, countries are asked not to block the transfer of information about U.S.-bound travelers to the U.S. government and not to designate people for travel watchlists based solely on their political or religious beliefs.

"This is the first time that the U.S. Government is setting standards for the information that is required from all countries specifically in support of immigration and traveler vetting," the cable said.

The cable lays out risk factors the U.S. government will consider when evaluating a country. Some of these are controversial and could be difficult for countries to prove to U.S. satisfaction, including ensuring "that they are not and do not have the potential to become a terrorist safe haven."

Countries are also expected to agree to take back citizens ordered removed from the United States.

If they do not provide the information requested, or come up with an adequate plan to do so, countries could end up on a list to be submitted within 50 days to Trump for possible sanction, including barring "designated categories" of their citizens from entering the United States.

The new requirements are the latest in a series of steps the Trump administration says it is taking to better protect the United States from terrorist attack.

The most controversial of these are two executive orders, challenged in federal court, which impose a temporary ban on travel to the United States for most citizens from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen.

While the orders were initially blocked from being enforced, the Supreme Court on June 26 allowed the ban to go into effect for people from the six nations with no strong ties to the United States.

The cable requires countries to act quickly.

"Failure to provide this information in a timely manner will require us to assume your country does not meet the standards," the cable said, stressing that the United States would work with foreign nations to assess if they meet the standards and, if not, come up with a plan to help them do so.

The cable asks that U.S. diplomats "underscore that while it is not our goal to impose a ban on immigration benefits, including visas, for citizens of any country, these standards are designed to mitigate risk, and failure to make progress could lead to security measures by the USG, including a presidential proclamation that would prohibit the entry of certain categories of foreign nationals of non-compliant countries."

The cable says the U.S. government has made a preliminary determination that some countries do not meet the new standards and that others are "at risk" of not meeting them. It does not name these, listing them in a separate, classified cable.

The State Department declined comment on the cable, saying it would not discuss internal communications.

"The U.S. government’s national security screening and vetting procedures for visitors are constantly reviewed and refined to improve security and more effectively identify individuals who could pose a threat to the United States," said a U.S. State Department official on condition of anonymity.

"We welcome every opportunity to continue to review and improve our systems and procedures," the official added.

They're loving insane.

e: Muslim Ban 3.0: Ban ALL muslims!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Chilichimp posted:

Have you considered that it is you who is the turdblossom?

We're all turdblossoms down here. But seriously dude, do you think there are for real conservatives still hanging around here? Sounds like you keep your nightlight on to protect you from the fabled Conservative SA boogeyman.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

DandyLion posted:

We're all turdblossoms down here. But seriously dude, do you think there are for real conservatives still hanging around here? Sounds like you keep your nightlight on to protect you from the fabled Conservative SA boogeyman.

They appear briefly as sealions

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Nah, first world nations already hand over information about travelers as part of the Visa process. This backdoor will work.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

empty whippet box posted:

lmfao here goes another round of the trump admin getting told to gently caress off, this time by literally every country on earth.
This is also another in a growing list of things that if Obama had so much as suggested doing, the Republicans would have told their base to start shooting Democrats because it's the end times.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I have trouble seeing a case where most countries don't just tell him to gently caress off

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
If anyone wants the actual text of the bill, it's here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I have trouble seeing a case where most countries don't just tell him to gently caress off

These seem mostly to be things most European countries already do for the USA. The forced acceptance of deportated citizens might be a big deal or it might be the norm too.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Xae posted:

Forget the Russian's, I'm colluding with dutch babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

quote:

Further, countries are asked not to block the transfer of information about U.S.-bound travelers to the U.S. government and not to designate people for travel watchlists based solely on their political or religious beliefs.

Oh they can gently caress right off.

• Locked thread