Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

somekindofguy posted:

Clearly everyone in this thread hates white people and/or mocking YouTube intellectuals

Is every D&D thread like this

Nah, usually the driveby dipshits are a lot more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Have any youtube nutbars gone in on YPG/Rojava? I assume they're not politically knowledgeable enough to know anything about that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Some oathkeepers went to join them a while back and fled in terror when they found out they were communists.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sadgon used a picture of YPG flying the red and black as evidence that antifa are ISIS, then claimed that he was trolling leftists when people called him a moron.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While I think Ausmund was being dumb in the earlier argument, it is kinda questionable to say "Trump voters are all racist" and not apply that same logic to everyone else. Like, there was some poll that basically checked for racist opinions towards black people based upon who people voted for in the Democratic and Republican primaries, and while the Trump voters were definitely the most racist, it wasn't really to the extent where it makes sense to say "Trump voters are racist and Clinton (or whatever) voters aren't racist." Like, maybe 35% of Trump voters would think (really racist thing) compared with 25% of Clinton voters.

So I guess my issue isn't so much with calling the Trump voters racist as it is using that to whitewash the racism of other people, be they be Democrats, non-Trump Republicans, or whatever. I wouldn't be at all surprised if older Democratic voters (by "older" I mean maybe 50+) are at least as racist as younger Republicans. Their political views may be less racist in practice, but if actually tested for racist biases they wouldn't be much (if any) better.

Another thing is that there's an important distinction between someone being racist in the sense that they're willing to tolerate racism due to prioritizing some other issue, and someone actually directly wanting to pursue racist outcomes (the pepes obviously fall into this group). Both of those groups are racist, but in different ways with different political implications. The former group is willing to vote for someone regardless of whether they're racist (and thus shouldn't be written off), while the latter votes for them specifically because they're racist (these people probably should be written off, because there's not much you can do about this).

As an example, a bunch of my relatives are fundamentalist Christian southern conservatives. I have no doubt that they wouldn't really care if Republicans suddenly stopped being racist. The racism they do express is largely due to trying adhere to a set of cultural norms and depends upon the specific context of a topic, and regardless it isn't a political priority of theirs. Their priorities are mainly just "I want to be economically stable and healthy", which is then filtered through the lens of conservative ideology (so they end up thinking that things like tax cuts will somehow help them) that ironically makes them worse off. This is definitely dumb in its own way, but many liberals aren't really any smarter; they just happen to have been raised in environments that make them identify with an ideology that is objectively better than the ones conservatives were raised to identify with.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ytlaya posted:

While I think Ausmund was being dumb in the earlier argument, it is kinda questionable to say "Trump voters are all racist" and not apply that same logic to everyone else. Like, there was some poll that basically checked for racist opinions towards black people based upon who people voted for in the Democratic and Republican primaries, and while the Trump voters were definitely the most racist, it wasn't really to the extent where it makes sense to say "Trump voters are racist and Clinton (or whatever) voters aren't racist." Like, maybe 35% of Trump voters would think (really racist thing) compared with 25% of Clinton voters.

So I guess my issue isn't so much with calling the Trump voters racist as it is using that to whitewash the racism of other people, be they be Democrats, non-Trump Republicans, or whatever. I wouldn't be at all surprised if older Democratic voters (by "older" I mean maybe 50+) are at least as racist as younger Republicans. Their political views may be less racist in practice, but if actually tested for racist biases they wouldn't be much (if any) better.

Will you find me the specific polls.

Personally I find it kind of odd the way that Trump campaigned in one of the most blatantly racist campaigns in the last fifty years, and won, but it feels like I'm hearing an awful lot more along the lines of, 'oh, Republicans aren't really that racist, they're misunderstood really, or have their good reasons' than I did previously, especially on this site. Its like people kind of know that far too many previously uncrossable lines have in fact been crossed so more excuses are being made to justify what's going on.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net
I apologize if this is off topic, but I came across the film the Red Pill because of watching YT intellectuals... I'm disappointed that I can't find anyone on YT with a critical or negative review... all reviews seem positive ones. Its not actually good, is it?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khwarezm posted:

Will you find me the specific polls.

Personally I find it kind of odd the way that Trump campaigned in one of the most blatantly racist campaigns in the last fifty years, and won, but it feels like I'm hearing an awful lot more along the lines of, 'oh, Republicans aren't really that racist, they're misunderstood really, or have their good reasons' than I did previously, especially on this site. Its like people kind of know that far too many previously uncrossable lines have in fact been crossed so more excuses are being made to justify what's going on.

Here you go:

I'm not saying "they're not really racist" so much as "they're certainly not the only ones and it's very misleading to act like they're always uniquely racist in a way Democrats/liberals aren't." Like that poll definitely indicates Trump voters are significantly more racist on average, but not in some strict binary way, and there's a very non-insignificant portion of Democrats who aren't much better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Sadgon used a picture of YPG flying the red and black as evidence that antifa are ISIS, then claimed that he was trolling leftists when people called him a moron.

YPG are the people re-enacting the communist international brigades in Syria yes?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I do hate the right but I assure you it's a very rational hatred.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Deified Data posted:

I do hate the right but I assure you it's a very rational hatred.

This but unironically

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

YPG are the people re-enacting the communist international brigades in Syria yes?
Yup.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not the brightest bulb in the box that lad.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

This but unironically

Good news, my post contained no irony!

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Here you go:

I'm not saying "they're not really racist" so much as "they're certainly not the only ones and it's very misleading to act like they're always uniquely racist in a way Democrats/liberals aren't." Like that poll definitely indicates Trump voters are significantly more racist on average, but not in some strict binary way, and there's a very non-insignificant portion of Democrats who aren't much better.

everyone who chooses to hate people based on how they voted in 2016 needs to stop and have a good, long look at this graph and think about what it means

and keep it in mind next time they run into, say, four hillary supporters standing together

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

ContraPoints gunna be up on Laci's stream earlier at 5:30 eastern FYI. I don't have a link.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

everyone who chooses to hate people based on how they voted in 2016 needs to stop and have a good, long look at this graph and think about what it means

and keep it in mind next time they run into, say, four hillary supporters standing together

You don't think we already know that roughly that many people are racist?

Racist Hillary voters are just smart enough to act like the family in Get Out and not go on the internet and drop n-bombs. I have no love for them, they just dogwhistle their racism. But at least they're voting for the least-racist candidate.

(Please let's not make this into a huge thing about Hillary "superpredator" Clinton being racist herself and let's just accept that for the point of the argument Hillary was less racist than Donald and they were the only two choices.)

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Probably not though, if you were a racist and voted for Clinton you at least pushed that racism aside enough to vote for the candidate that was objectively not the worse choice on race issues.

If you voted for Trump on the other hand you willingly gave support to the candidate who loudly vowed to be way worse in that regard than the other. The latter is far worse than the former.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

What Pittsburgh Lambic fails to grasp is that it is actions that matter, not what lies in their heart.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've got an abundance of hatred to go around, I don't need to ration it.

Maybe it's cos I don't direct it at minorities or something, I have lots spare.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ytlaya posted:

Here you go:

Thanks.

That wasn't really specific about you, its more an observation about this conversation that's been going on for some pages. I just find it odd the way a lot of conversations on SA and elsewhere are trying to find ways to disassociate Trump voters from his campaign's racism. I guess it's nice that people are assuming something better from others than how things first appear but I'm not convinced that Trump voters by and large aren't quite resolutely prejudiced.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I conjured up this image of a limo liberal who thinks blacks aren't smart because of a tragic lack of access to education, but doesn't think of the mongol horde of ignorant Hicks when answering that question. They really think they need to improve black schools. But not integrate with their school district.
I got myself mad for basically no reason

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The only reason to vote for Trump was to hurt someone else. There were no good reasons.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all trump supporters are racist doesn't mean all democrats aren;t.

billiam clinton did more damage to black americans than any republican.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Of course not. Democratic policy is very racist and many democrats are as racist as many republicans. But there were other reasons to vote for a democrat. There were no reasons other than racism to vote Trump.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

WampaLord posted:

What Pittsburgh Lambic fails to grasp is that it is actions that matter, not what lies in their heart.

Without commenting on Pittsburgh Lambic in particular- this is a bizarrely common thought process. I have an acquaintance who defended her mom as not actually racist in her heart despite admitting she spent the last eight years calling Michelle Obama a chimp :psyduck:

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K345jGTeU3o

Just saw this pop up.

edit: Laci Green debate thingy.

Wrath of Mordark fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 13, 2017

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

business hammocks posted:

Of course not. Democratic policy is very racist and many democrats are as racist as many republicans. But there were other reasons to vote for a democrat. There were no reasons other than racism to vote Trump.

correct.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is Laci still sticking by "have you read any elementary-school-level textbooks!?" even when confronted with actual credentialed biologists?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Great Metal Jesus posted:

Without commenting on Pittsburgh Lambic in particular- this is a bizarrely common thought process. I have an acquaintance who defended her mom as not actually racist in her heart despite admitting she spent the last eight years calling Michelle Obama a chimp :psyduck:

i'm guessing that Mom accepts the basic idea that those of different races are on their face equal, so....not racist?

on the right its generally that you arnt' racist if you accept that ideal, whereas on the left racism can be defined as broadly as simply furthering the existence of institutions and imbalances that exist because of racial injustices in the past.

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008

fallenturtle posted:

I apologize if this is off topic, but I came across the film the Red Pill because of watching YT intellectuals... I'm disappointed that I can't find anyone on YT with a critical or negative review... all reviews seem positive ones. Its not actually good, is it?

It's not. The first few minutes addresses some of the problems the MRA/Alt right movement has, misogyny, racism etc. Then it proceeds to give them a big wet slobbery blowjob at every turn. All of this from a self proclamed feminist mind you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

laci green is a huge nerd and even before she redpilled i wondered why i was getting sex advice from her.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Wait didn't folding ideas work on redpill

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Wait didn't folding ideas work on redpill

Different Red Pill. His is a short film. This one is a documentary about mras.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Wrath of Mordark posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K345jGTeU3o

Just saw this pop up.

edit: Laci Green debate thingy.

Her cutsey voices are insufferable.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh okay. Thought I was going insane. How is that short film?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

laci green is a huge nerd and even before she redpilled i wondered why i was getting sex advice from her.

Being a huge nerd is not the issue here.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I've got an abundance of hatred to go around, I don't need to ration it.

Maybe it's cos I don't direct it at minorities or something, I have lots spare.

you should have that looked at; hate is not healthy no matter what excuses you use to justify the people you are hating

i keep seeing people itt coming up with excuses to not talk to people who aren't ~on their side~ via glaringly ignorant and frankly misanthropic reductionism, and it's bad

the more people whose minds you assume cannot be changed, the more useless you have made yourself to your cause

it reeks of laziness, pessimism, and outright despair

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
is that triggered idiot still whining about people being mean in a mock thread

VVV lol he is. so mad!

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

you should have that looked at; hate is not healthy no matter what excuses you use to justify the people you are hating

i keep seeing people itt coming up with excuses to not talk to people who aren't ~on their side~ via glaringly ignorant and frankly misanthropic reductionism, and it's bad

the more people whose minds you assume cannot be changed, the more useless you have made yourself to your cause

it reeks of laziness, pessimism, and outright despair

You're obnoxious and nowhere near as smart as you think you are.

• Locked thread