Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I bought the Skitarii starter set and I don't even know why. Anybody know how to paint a good strong light blue/turquoise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hummingbird James posted:

They uh said First Founding, so basically the same chapters as we've always had.

I must have missed that part. They said "Ultramarines obviously, but also the Ultima founding chapters, so really you're getting 8 armies."

Playing a game tonight against a fellow local gamer. He's bringing his Nids (which is good practice in anticipation of my game against JesusisTehCool on Sunday) and i'm bringing a combined force of AdMech and Howling Griffons. Here's the list, 1850.

++ Battalion Detachment (Imperium - Adeptus Mechanicus) [53 PL, 1165pts] ++

+ HQ +

Tech-Priest Dominus [7 PL, 139pts]: Phosphor Serpenta, Volkite Blaster

+ Troops +

Kataphron Destroyers [10 PL, 219pts]
. Kataphron Destroyer: Cognis Flamer, Plasma Culverin

Kataphron Destroyers [10 PL, 219pts]

Skitarii Rangers [4 PL, 100pts]
. 2x Ranger (Transuranic Arquebus): 2x Transuranic arquebus
. Ranger Alpha: Galvanic rifle
. 2x Skitarii Ranger

+ Heavy Support +

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 130pts]: Icarus Array

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 143pts]
. Neutron laser & cognis heavy Stubber: Cognis heavy stubber, Neutron Laser

Onager Dunecrawler [6 PL, 120pts]: Eradication beamer

+ Fast Attack +

Ironstrider Ballistarii [4 PL, 95pts]
. Ironstrider Ballistarius: Twin Cognis Lascannon

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [33 PL, 679pts] ++

+ HQ +

Captain in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 137pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword

Primaris Lieutenants [8 PL, 148pts]
. Primaris Lieutenant: Power sword
. Primaris Lieutenant: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [6 PL, 100pts]: 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

+ Elites +

Primaris Ancient [4 PL, 69pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [8 PL, 225pts]
. 2x Inceptor: 4x Assault bolter
. Inceptor Sergeant: 2x Assault bolter

++ Total: [86 PL, 1844pts] ++

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

When is the SM book meant to be out? There isn't that much left of July unless they're planning to finalise it next week and release in the last weekend of the month or something.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Odds on the Ultramarine codex fixing Robby G and not having him be as severely undercosted as he is now?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Corrode posted:

When is the SM book meant to be out? There isn't that much left of July unless they're planning to finalise it next week and release in the last weekend of the month or something.

Imagine pretty soon, figures they'll want SM and Death Guard books out asap since they're the poster children for Konor. Expect SM out last week of July to coincide with Konor's start, then Death Guard a little into the campaign with a "Oh poo poo Morty's here" moment in story to coincide.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Master Twig posted:

Odds on the Ultramarine codex fixing Robby G and not having him be as severely undercosted as he is now?

Old GW? Zero. They'd want everyone to pay through the nose for the super expensive overly effective model. New GW? Well, this'll be the test, won't it? How New is New GW, anyway?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was hoping the new SM codex would come out the week before the Konor campaign to give people the chance to build the new stuff.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
My guess is if they are previewing rules from it on stream tomorrow, they'll announce it this weekend and release it the week after.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Half considering getting back into just painting some stuff after many years away from the GE money pit. Anyone recommend a good starting set of paints? There seems to be a huge range these days and I'm getting a bit lost with new colour names (where is my Bestial Brown and Tentacle Pink drat it).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

KM Scorchio posted:

Half considering getting back into just painting some stuff after many years away from the GE money pit. Anyone recommend a good starting set of paints? There seems to be a huge range these days and I'm getting a bit lost with new colour names (where is my Bestial Brown and Tentacle Pink drat it).

GW switched their paint production company, the company that made the old Citadel paints now works with Privateer. Here's a Citadel to Privateer rundown https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/447223.page

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Master Twig posted:

The idea of the Ultramarine codex coming with a big nerf to the most ultra of marines would make sense balancewise, but also amuses me on an innate level.

The cost of fielding him is dealing with his hugely disproportionate model and Grandma Joffrey face. I feel like touching up his Forgeworld model to give it the current one's cool flaming sword and slapping on the Primaris Captain's boltstorm gauntlet would make a much more pleasing Gulliman than the current model, but considering the triumvirate's super low cost you'd be paying far more for the model.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

The idea of the Ultramarine codex coming with a big nerf to the most ultra of marines would make sense balancewise, but also amuses me on an innate level.

The cost of fielding him is dealing with his hugely disproportionate model and Grandma Joffrey face. I feel like touching up his Forgeworld model to give it the current one's cool flaming sword and slapping on the Primaris Captain's boltstorm gauntlet would make a much more pleasing Gulliman than the current model, but considering the triumvirate's super low cost you'd be paying far more for the model.

Just use the helmeted head.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

GW switched their paint production company, the company that made the old Citadel paints now works with Privateer. Here's a Citadel to Privateer rundown https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/447223.page

That link reminds me - what are my best options now for equivalents to Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey? I used them in heavy rotation on my old CFs but the pots are dead or dying now.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Corrode posted:

That link reminds me - what are my best options now for equivalents to Shadow Grey and Space Wolves Grey? I used them in heavy rotation on my old CFs but the pots are dead or dying now.

Russ Grey and Fenrisian Grey.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

The Bee posted:

I can't even grasp a perspective that would ruin the 30k Guilliman by adding things from the 40k one. That model is a perfect 'Patrician' concept as-is.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

SteelMentor posted:

Russ Grey and Fenrisian Grey.

Thanks

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Corrode posted:

Thanks. I should get him on the table at some point but I own nothing else Inquisitorial really.

I'm not too familiar with his special rules, but I read the inquisition stuff when it released and I don't have any burning desire to add them to my list. The morale benefits are outclassed by other Imperial Guard things like Commissars. The psyker powers seem lackluster, especially when Primaris Psykers and Astropaths are so cheap. For Inquisitorial acolytes, the more expensive model and weapon costs make them a bit pointless for IG armies - IMO they overpay for their 'Quarry' re-rolls rule.

On top of that, I've got a squad's worth each of Crusader and Deathcult conversions - their faction changed to Adeptus Ministorum, so they can't even hitch a rider unless I get a Rhino/Immolator knocked up. Inquisition will mostly be waiting for a Codex release, IMO.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Yeah I think maybe I'll do an Inquisition army when there's some kind of codex and use it as a chance for a mad converting project. Until then, Coteaz will just have to hang out in the case.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Shockeh posted:

I can't even grasp a perspective that would ruin the 30k Guilliman by adding things from the 40k one. That model is a perfect 'Patrician' concept as-is.

I was just suggesting adding a gauntlet to make it WYSIWYG compatible, and also because I'm a bit of a sucker for power fists. That said, nothing from the Gulliman 40k model would be either proportional or good looking on the 30k one, and beyond maybe making the weapons match more I wouldn't want the 40k one's weird limbs or overly ornate armor on the 30k one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Deleter posted:

I bought the Skitarii starter set and I don't even know why. Anybody know how to paint a good strong light blue/turquoise?

Prime it and then paint it thousand sons blue and highlight with ahriman blue (or whatever 3rd party equivalent) done deal looks pretty fab. I dunno man, paint it blue! Whatcha askin?

Painting cloaks can be tough regardless though.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Cool looks helpful, thanks.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Did they discontinue Catachans? I know they had some ugly sculpts and all, but I want some hosed up off brand Rambos and no one has any in stock.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Try GW's site. They are probably Direct Only.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Immanentized posted:

Did they discontinue Catachans? I know they had some ugly sculpts and all, but I want some hosed up off brand Rambos and no one has any in stock.

Online only now.

They redid the Catachan Command set not too long ago and the quality between them and all the other Catachan sets is night and day. Fingers crossed they go back and update them all next IG book.

flamingweedle
Oct 8, 2010
How did no one post Tengger Cavalry for the White Scars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1UhoGJ2PwA

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's always been kind of odd to me that GW hasn't gone back and updated the basic Catachans and Cadians or even released more infantry variants in plastic. All they need is a basic infantry squad, a heavy weapons box, and a command box and that's an entire new regiment covered. Toss in some spare parts for tank commanders and sentinel drivers or whatever. They have to know that plastic Steel Legion or Vostroyans would sell.

Anyways, yeah, the Catachan command box is much better proportioned than the old-rear end kit from like 97. It's difficult to make basic lasgun troopers out of it though. At least without some modifications. My Shadow War kill team was made mostly out of two command boxes with some heads and arms from a normal Catachan sprue for variety's sake. I just made sure to match arms from each set so that a model didn't wind up with a relatively normal hand and a giant monkey's paw.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Scythes and Black Consols and Eagle Warriors oh my.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I'm looking for exactly the Command squad, and I remember them pimping out a kit-made sly marbo like two months back. Could it be the same issue with a bunch of other kits where they became unexpectedly popular and GW needs to ramp production back up?

Funny mention about the age of the sculpts- the heavy weapons squad I put together last week had 2003 imprinted on the spruce.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

Scythes and Black Consols and Eagle Warriors oh my.

Hey, there's a nice convenient red marine chapter to use until Blood Angels get a full codex!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Pendent posted:

Hey, there's a nice convenient red marine chapter to use until Blood Angels get a full codex!

Genesis Chapter is my favorite prog rock band.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Question about my list for today - since i'm taking a combined force of Space Marines and AdMech using the keyword Imperium, I lose both Canticles of the Omnissiah and the Space Marine Chapters rules, correct?

Because i'm taking a Battalion, but both of the forces combined fill all the required slots.

or am I reading it wrong?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You are reading it wrong. The rules just only apply to the approriate models and cant be passed around.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

You are reading it wrong. The rules just only apply to the approriate models and cant be passed around.

Thanks. I had a feeling I was reading it wrong, but I just wanted to make sure.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Right now there's no downside to cross pollinating your lists outside of auras generally not applying outside their own chapter/warband/craftworld etc. You lose nothing.

Codexes will probably start doing bonuses for having detachments of all one type though.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Right now there's no downside to cross pollinating your lists outside of auras generally not applying outside their own chapter/warband/craftworld etc. You lose nothing.

Codexes will probably start doing bonuses for having detachments of all one type though.

The one instance of this so far that I can think of is Cult Ambush being lost in general Tyranid detachments, as opposed to full Genestealer ones.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

The Bee posted:

The one instance of this so far that I can think of is Cult Ambush being lost in general Tyranid detachments, as opposed to full Genestealer ones.

And Ynnari having to be chosen all-or-nothing for a whole detachment.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Also cult mechanics don't get canticles

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

While we're on paints, can anyone tell me if there is a GW equivalent for Rotting Flesh? Because they told me it's the new Nurgling Green and it really loving isn't.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It matches better than you think after it dries, though it is a tad greener. Vallejo Game Color should have an equivalent to the old Citadel, called Dead Flesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Sanford posted:

While we're on paints, can anyone tell me if there is a GW equivalent for Rotting Flesh? Because they told me it's the new Nurgling Green and it really loving isn't.

From what I hear, the new and old ranges really don't line up 1 to 1. I think P3 and Vallejo paints try to match the old ranges better, but I'm not 100% sure.