Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Rah! posted:

garfield did 9/11

it was the monday that finally broke the camel's back

and then tuesday rolled around...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

those commie bastards should've never forgave the atomic bomb!

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

What gets me about Greenwald isn't even just that he's skeptical of everything, it's that he's consistently trying to sow skepticism and disbelief while also using very conveniently-similar arguments to what the Republicans / Russians are using.

I'm not sure how much to trust the rest of the Intercept but they do occasionally do good reporting on other topics especially on South American stuff.

It's not that tankies are always wrong or never make good points. It's that they're fundamentally disingenuous and have an ulterior motive to their arguments. It's this default 'America is the worst!' used to justify even shittier behavior from others. The term 'tankie' comes from the 'leftists' who cheered on Russian tanks crushing populist uprisings throughout Eastern Europe. USA fascism/imperialism bad, non-USA fascism/imperialism good.

:shrug:

Serf
May 5, 2011

eonwe posted:

seriously, if Democrats actually support Zuckerberg then we are actually 100% hosed as a nation

completely agreed. i'm fuckin done if we do that

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

gregday posted:

that last line is pretty goddamn telling

I love how incredibly obvious it is that Trump is working for Putin, and that Trump constantly tells us about it

But because it's SO SUPER OBVIOUS nearly no one actually sees it for what it is because it can't possibly be that obvious right?

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/petridishes/status/885576287066234880

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

more specifically that the Soviet Union couldn't be bad since Americans were lynching/jailing 'negros'

Never mind the constant pogroms in the Soviet Union throughout the 20th century right up until the end.

Russia is a blighted shithole.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

His head cavity must be more hole than brain at this point

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Always a good sign when your president is arguing the exact definition of treason

lol

SKULL.GIF posted:

What gets me about Greenwald isn't even just that he's skeptical of everything, it's that he's consistently trying to sow skepticism and disbelief while also using very conveniently-similar arguments to what the Republicans / Russians are using.

I'm not sure how much to trust the rest of the Intercept but they do occasionally do good reporting on other topics especially on South American stuff.
It's weird, but again I lean more towards the theory that the complete collapse of visible norms is beyond the mental capacity and vocabulary of the pundit class. Though maybe he's an asset because literally everyone is now.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

like, what happens if other countries request all criminal records of traveling US citizens

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/885579213985771520
he was a very good boy, he used to cut my grass

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Nonsense posted:

more specifically that the Soviet Union couldn't be bad since Americans were lynching/jailing 'negros'

Never mind the constant pogroms in the Soviet Union throughout the 20th century right up until the end.

Russia is a blighted shithole.

It's a dungeon that has mistaken itself for an empire.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump is incredibly desperate now holy poo poo

war is coming

Serf
May 5, 2011

zen death robot posted:

Zuck is gonna pull a Perot and run on his own party or something

1000 years of conservative darkness

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

Yall can keep your Day Crew, Nite Crew, and Death Crew

#BirdGang

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

eonwe posted:

seriously, if Democrats actually support Zuckerberg then we are actually 100% hosed as a nation

we've been hosed since Reagan

SKULL.GIF posted:

I love how incredibly obvious it is that Trump is working for Putin, and that Trump constantly tells us about it

But because it's SO SUPER OBVIOUS nearly no one actually sees it for what it is because it can't possibly be that obvious right?
it seems like a conspiracy theory from a trashy video game or movie, but it's clearly real life. everyone's too embarrassed to admit it.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

rear end cobra posted:

His head cavity must be more hole than brain at this point

https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/885581050868637696

Seriously that second part of the excerpt

Trump's brain is more scrambled than my breakfast

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
https://twitter.com/JaredRizzi/status/885576981076729857

manafort on that neko atsume trip

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

eonwe posted:

Not just support, they're going FULL CUCK for Mark Zuck!

Cuck Yeah!!

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

please be real lol

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Nichael posted:

we've been hosed since Reagan

We've been hosed since the Civil Rights Act.

America went bonkers over 'equality' to blacks and it really sucks that our principles have set us on a path that have betrayed those very same values.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

teach donny a lesson j. walter weatherman style
and that's why you don't yank on arms during a handshake

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

keep that capitalism unregulated, soon enough we'll have mob wars over app IP

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Reality Winner posted:

everyone wants to gently caress moms

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Joementum posted:

fun fact: that wasn't actually treason

shush, child. the adults are talking

now, as I was saying: PIIIIIIISSSSSSSS

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Brother Friendship posted:

We've been hosed since the Civil Rights Act.

America went bonkers over 'equality' to blacks and it really sucks that our principles have set us on a path that have betrayed those very same values.

You can trace it all the way back to Reconstruction being sabotaged from the inside by Confederates

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Can't wait to see the tourism numbers this summer after basically every country on the planet looks at America and goes "Nah, too risky to travel there"

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/travel/tourism-u-s-has-been-decline-trump-took-office-n764206

16% drop since Trump got elected. That took five months.

Let's see how thing progress by 12.

Also Macy is closing, and it and other retail stores can plausibly blame a drop of a couple percent in sales due to dropping tourism for it.

TRUMP

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

That depends on what your definition of is is.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
trump word of the day is SCINTILLA

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/BraddJaffy/status/885581707914727427

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lmao 2017 is a riot

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/885573112821108736

Greenwald is blatantly a Russian asset at this point. He's bought every single Republican argument, deflection, and whataboutism hook line and sinker.

I don't like greenwald, but he's just saying that evidence of collusion hasn't reached the point of showing outright collaboration/collusion on the DNC/Podesta hacks. I don't see how that's controversial

I also think this poo poo where we point our finger at people and get all daycrew about Russian assets is good for our democracy in the long run

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Brother Friendship posted:

It's not that tankies are always wrong or never make good points. It's that they're fundamentally disingenuous and have an ulterior motive to their arguments. It's this default 'America is the worst!' used to justify even shittier behavior from others. The term 'tankie' comes from the 'leftists' who cheered on Russian tanks crushing populist uprisings throughout Eastern Europe. USA fascism/imperialism bad, non-USA fascism/imperialism good.

:shrug:

i'm actually kind of curious, is there any evidence supporting the idea that the kremlin would support a disruptive left-wing populist movement in other countries? because i haven't seen a whole lot of evidence in favor of that idea... or any really.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

You can trace it all the way back to Reconstruction being sabotaged from the inside by Confederates

Got any books or links to help explore that thought process? I know that the presidential election immediately following the Civil War was gamed and let the South off the hook for setting the country on fire but there ends my knowledge.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
President obviously has major brain issues, so what

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

8000 year-old Chinese man: *nods sagely*

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
"It's treason."

"Well who can say treason really is? I mean what is treason if you really think about it? Just sit down and think about it with me for a bit and we don't have to throw around words like that if we dont really know what it means right? That's some serious repercussions you want to re-think there my friend, hehe."

"Let me think abou- no it's still treason."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yossarian-22 posted:

I don't like greenwald, but he's just saying that evidence of collusion hasn't reached the point of showing outright collaboration/collusion on the DNC/Podesta hacks. I don't see how that's controversial

I also think this poo poo where we point our finger at people and get all daycrew about Russian assets is good for our democracy in the long run

It's less "Where is the evidence?" (which Greenwald has been consistent about, though ignoring the Reality Winner stuff and ignoring the Don Jr emails) and more "I don't think trading for information from a foreign power is illegal" and "Did you hear about Hillary Clinton's totally real and totally illegal Ukrainian collusion?" and "UKRAINIAN MEDDLING"

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Office Pig posted:

i'm actually kind of curious, is there any evidence supporting the idea that the kremlin would support a disruptive left-wing populist movement in other countries? because i haven't seen a whole lot of evidence in favor of that idea... or any really.

Russia is happy to see any political party take power if it believes in more détente with Russia. Macron accused almost all of the other French candidates of being Russian assets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Lastgirl posted:

"It's treason."

"Well who can say treason really is? I mean what is treason if you really think about it? Just sit down and think about it with me for a bit and we don't have to throw around words like that if we dont really know what it means right? That's some serious repercussions you want to re-think there my friend, hehe."

"Let me think abou- no it's still treason."

until you can prove to me that russia and the united states are different countries i dont want to hear it

• Locked thread