Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Space Marines don't lose anything if thy're cross-pollinated into other imperium armies.

Admech specifically lose access to canticles if there is a non-admech unit in their detachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Space Marines don't lose anything if thy're cross-pollinated into other imperium armies.

Admech specifically lose access to canticles if there is a non-admech unit in their detachment.

I do not play imperium so i stand corrected, my apologies.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sanford posted:

While we're on paints, can anyone tell me if there is a GW equivalent for Rotting Flesh? Because they told me it's the new Nurgling Green and it really loving isn't.

If you want an exact match you can buy 'Putrid Green' from Coat d'Arms. It's the old paint manufacturer GW used before they switched to their new one. Same old paint, some old pots:

https://www.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Article/view_CoatDArmsConversionChart.html
https://www.blackhat.co.uk/product/125-putrid-green/

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

See, this is my confusion.

AdMech: "If you have a Battle-forged army, units only receive the bonus if every model in their Detachment has this ability."

Space Marines: "When building a Battle-forged army, all models in the same Detachment must be drawn from the same Chapter."

I get that AdMech loses it. But for Space Marines - it reads as either 1.) you cannot mix Ultramarines and Dark Angels (as an example) OR 2.) you cannot mix Space Marines with another force.

So can you not build a battalion with both Space Marines and any other faction?

Zuul the Cat fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 13, 2017

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Sanford posted:

While we're on paints, can anyone tell me if there is a GW equivalent for Rotting Flesh? Because they told me it's the new Nurgling Green and it really loving isn't.

I was looking for this exact same thing not too long ago, and after a few tests found that a 1:1 mix of Vallejo Game Color Dead Flesh and Bonewhite match perfectly.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
So, my friends and I are embarking on a sort of league competition. We are playing 5 'rounds', where we each play every other player in the competition. That's 4 games played per round (since there are 5 of us in all). You get points for W/L/D, all pretty standard. Round 1 is 1000pts, Round 2 is 1250, and so on until round 5, 2000 pts. In the final round wins are worth more points.

Looking forward to this, but I have two concerns. One is the number of games: 4 games over 2 weeks (the time we set for a round) is pretty hard to achieve if anything comes up. The danger is that some players could fall behind if one guy is playing the full 4 and winning whilst others are only getting the chance to play a couple games per round. There's an upside though: 20 games across 10 weeks will be really good gaming if we can keep it up.

The other is the army lists. The idea is that as you go from 1000 to 2000 you keep the same units, adding 250 a time. While that's fine and very thematic, I worry that people will get a bit salty if they feel their army is outclassed by someone else's, especially if they're playing the same core stuff for the 5th time against that opponent. Not much to be done about this. We'll see how it goes, hopefully our fairly sound group will get through it.

I will try to take and post pictures as we go along.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Zuul the Cat posted:

Space Marines: "When building a Battle-forged army, all models in the same Detachment must be drawn from the same Chapter."

I completely missed this in the Index. I knew chapters didn't buff each other but still thought you could mix them.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

I completely missed this in the Index. I knew chapters didn't buff each other but still thought you could mix them.

This is from the Primaris Space Marines handout from the Dark Imperium set. Maybe the ruling is different in the Index.

Genghis Cohen posted:

So, my friends and I are embarking on a sort of league competition. We are playing 5 'rounds', where we each play every other player in the competition. That's 4 games played per round (since there are 5 of us in all). You get points for W/L/D, all pretty standard. Round 1 is 1000pts, Round 2 is 1250, and so on until round 5, 2000 pts. In the final round wins are worth more points.

Looking forward to this, but I have two concerns. One is the number of games: 4 games over 2 weeks (the time we set for a round) is pretty hard to achieve if anything comes up. The danger is that some players could fall behind if one guy is playing the full 4 and winning whilst others are only getting the chance to play a couple games per round. There's an upside though: 20 games across 10 weeks will be really good gaming if we can keep it up.

The other is the army lists. The idea is that as you go from 1000 to 2000 you keep the same units, adding 250 a time. While that's fine and very thematic, I worry that people will get a bit salty if they feel their army is outclassed by someone else's, especially if they're playing the same core stuff for the 5th time against that opponent. Not much to be done about this. We'll see how it goes, hopefully our fairly sound group will get through it.

I will try to take and post pictures as we go along.

This sounds awesome. I want to do a league like this.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Doing my first 8th lists and feeling a bit lost. What are the best HQ choices for CSM? Without artifacts, it feels like a power fist and a power sword make a good combo on a Lord. Or maybe just double OF to make up for the lesser accuracy?

Daemon Princes seem quite good as well. I mostly have Nurgle and Khorne stuff. Do I lose anything by combining them?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Zuul the Cat posted:

This is from the Primaris Space Marines handout from the Dark Imperium set. Maybe the ruling is different in the Index.

When in doubt, aggressively ignore the starting material. With the indexes out and the codices coming it's already doubly outdated, and is basically just quick start rules.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
ITC missions are up

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2017/07/13/itc-combined-arms-mission-pack/

It's basically the 7th ed mission packet.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Zuul the Cat posted:

I would check the source on this and make sure it transferred to the Index and/or the upcoming Codex. If it's the information on the handouts that come in the starter pack, those rules are just introductory rules and aren't the current rules that apply army-wide. I'm pretty sure both the rulebook and Index just say that they have to share a faction keyword.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
I've got a 2000 point tourney this weekend.
Holy hell, that's a lot of points for a Guard player.
I'll be bringing almost everything in the two pics below.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Zuul the Cat posted:

Cheers dude. I will let you know how our Adeptus Mechanicus player gets on. As long as no one has a melt down or just stops having a good time, it should keep us playing at a fast rate and give everyone a bit of investment in 'revenge matches' and generally motivate people to play their best. Did I mention there's a £5 buy in? Winner takes all :getin:

ToyotaThong posted:

I've got a 2000 point tourney this weekend.
Holy hell, that's a lot of points for a Guard player.
I'll be bringing almost everything in the two pics below.

Good luck. I'd be interested to see your army list. I think most people seem to agree that guard are pretty top-tier, at least amongst 'conventional' 40k armies where people take some infantry and tanks, rather than turning up at an event and most people have, say, 8 flyers, or 200 proxied tzeentch daemons, or nothing but FW shooting units clustered around a buffing character.

What are you looking at, about 140 infantry models and 6-8 vehicles at 2000? poo poo can get insane if people take more than one big squad of conscripts.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Naramyth posted:

ITC missions are up

https://www.frontlinegaming.org/2017/07/13/itc-combined-arms-mission-pack/

It's basically the 7th ed mission packet.

They're so far from playing 8th edition that they may as well have stuck to 7th, wow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zuul the Cat posted:

See, this is my confusion.

AdMech: "If you have a Battle-forged army, units only receive the bonus if every model in their Detachment has this ability."

I get that AdMech loses it. But for Space Marines - it reads as either 1.) you cannot mix Ultramarines and Dark Angels (as an example) OR 2.) you cannot mix Space Marines with another force.

So can you not build a battalion with both Space Marines and any other faction?

BOTH have to have all models in a detachment the same sub-faction to get the bonus. But both can take multiple detachments, one of each, so long as all detachments share some faction keyword.

Although, I'm not even seeing the space marines rule about chapter anywhere. But the admech one says you only get the ability if everybody in the detachment is the same, but that means you can have an allied detachment of another faction.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

You sure? The way Zuul just worded it, it doesn't read that way.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Yeah this.

You can mix Admech and Marines in a detachment but you DO NOT get the Admech canticles. If you have one detachment of admech and one of marines, the admech DO get canticles.

WhiteWolf123 posted:

I would check the source on this and make sure it transferred to the Index and/or the upcoming Codex. If it's the information on the handouts that come in the starter pack, those rules are just introductory rules and aren't the current rules that apply army-wide. I'm pretty sure both the rulebook and Index just say that they have to share a faction keyword.

Armies share a faction keyword, but admech specifically says they lose the ability if they're not all admech in the detachment.

I don't see anything about space marine chapters though...

And with chaos you just can't use spells on dudes that aren't from your chapter. Probably the same with loyalists I guess.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 13, 2017

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

chutche2 posted:

They're so far from playing 8th edition that they may as well have stuck to 7th, wow.

It still has alternating deployment, every deployment zone, a +1 for the guy who finishes first (instead of auto going first), and at least the non maelstrom missions are pretty similar to the book missions with the exceptions of apparently the game is a tie if neither player has the relic, and KP=Power level. Also having a maelstrom that isn't super random helps you plan for the game.

I don't know man, I played a lot of ITC and even if the missions are mostly the same the game is super different.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I'm also not seeing anything about mixed space marine lists losing battleforged.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Zuul the Cat posted:

Question about my list for today - since i'm taking a combined force of Space Marines and AdMech using the keyword Imperium, I lose both Canticles of the Omnissiah and the Space Marine Chapters rules, correct?

Because i'm taking a Battalion, but both of the forces combined fill all the required slots.

or am I reading it wrong?

As others have said you need only admech in a detachment to get canticles, only consequence would be getting an additional HQ for the admech detachment so you can run them as a Batallion and then running the marines as a patrol detachment.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I'm also not seeing anything about mixed space marine lists losing battleforged.

I've only ever seen that line in the Primaris book from the Dark Imperium box.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

I've only ever seen that line in the Primaris book from the Dark Imperium box.

This is where I got it from.

My question revolved only around that - because the wording stated that AdMech lost the Canticles and it was similar to the wording for Space Marines in the Primaris book from Dark Imperium. I have enough to field 2 separate detachments. I was just curious about that specific list I'm using.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Simple Typhus conversion from a spare Lord of Contagion. Took off the standard on the back, added a simple scythe blade from a Bones mini, trimmed off a censer, and shortened and angled up the blade on the helmet. Also tried to indicate the destroyer hive by hollowing out the horn on the right shoulder, mainly because I'm pretty bad at green stuff sculpting. Since he's OOP (for now) do you think this reads adequately as Typhus?

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?
Looks good to me! :)

As always, best to check with your opponent before-hand, but I doubt any reasonable person would object.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

parabolic posted:

Simple Typhus conversion from a spare Lord of Contagion. Took off the standard on the back, added a simple scythe blade from a Bones mini, trimmed off a censer, and shortened and angled up the blade on the helmet. Also tried to indicate the destroyer hive by hollowing out the horn on the right shoulder, mainly because I'm pretty bad at green stuff sculpting. Since he's OOP (for now) do you think this reads adequately as Typhus?

:krad:

If its not Tyrus its definitely a Death Guard commander of some sort who wishes he could be Typhus when he grows up.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Paint the seal on his shoulder red not blue. Otherwise he's ace.

Is this a lore thing? I have read me a bucketload of 40k lore and never saw anything specifically about purity seals, but I did always wonder.

Alokgen posted:

I like me some clean Marines. If I had to critic one thing it would be, many consider another lens color? A yellow, orange, or red could make the eyes pop a bit more, but overall its looking real good.

Corrode posted:

Orange would look great in there.

I did actually consider yellow, but I do not have any yellow paints of my own. I borrowed some to paint some Iron Warrior hazard stripes at one point, but on hand don't actually have my own.

Funny you should mention orange however, because...uh...

Jokaero orange. I very nearly hit it with a highlight of Trollslayer...

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I do my purity seals green cause red looks bad in my scheme. Keep what you have.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They're just wax. Space wax, maybe. They can be any color you like.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Look at that little guy and tell me who gonna tell him what kinda wax to use.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Goonmind, given this scheme, what color should A) helmets and B) chest eagles and such be?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
White.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

Goonmind, given this scheme, what color should A) helmets and B) chest eagles and such be?

Black helmet, red eagle.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm a huge loser with a fetish for painting the faceplate a unique colour. I'd be intrigued to see it either with a Very light grey/white, or every going black on the faceplate.

Edit: just noticed the red. Red faceplate!

Chest eagles, go a very dark grey and highlight with the general armor color. Makes it fit in but still look really nice.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 14, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I kinda feel a gold with a fair amount of black wash would pop nicely for the chest eagle.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Zuul the Cat posted:

This is where I got it from.

My question revolved only around that - because the wording stated that AdMech lost the Canticles and it was similar to the wording for Space Marines in the Primaris book from Dark Imperium. I have enough to field 2 separate detachments. I was just curious about that specific list I'm using.

The AdMech will lose their ability because the Index specifically says so.

The Marines will function the same (but their auras, spells and transports, etc. won't benefit the AdMech in the same detachment).

Cainer
May 8, 2008

WhiteWolf123 posted:

The AdMech will lose their ability because the Index specifically says so.

The Marines will function the same (but their auras, spells and transports, etc. won't benefit the AdMech in the same detachment).

I agree with this guy and always have, there is no proof of any failure at reading comprehension on my part. Also the thread ends here so don't bother reading any more posts below this one.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 14, 2017

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cainer posted:

Index says they only lose canticles if there are any non-Admec in the same detachment, but he's using two detachments. One full of Admec and the other with marines so pretty sure he still gets canticles.

Hes not though. He said hes building a battalion detachment, using both armies to fill all the slots.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Hes not though. He said hes building a battalion detachment, using both armies to fill all the slots.

Oh! Sorry I'm dumb.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I'm trying to get Nork Doombull done by Saturday. The "SMART" gun took a long time to piece together. Bonus points if someone can name all the parts that made up the gun.

Also Beer, if you are going I need to offload some AoBR orks if you're interested: Boyz, burnaz, flash gitz, 2 Warbosses, liek 6 bikes, and I think 11 koptas.

You deserve it for convincing me to get a Star Citizen refund a while back.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Cainer posted:

Index says they only lose canticles if there are any non-Admec in the same detachment, but he's using two detachments. One full of Admec and the other with marines so pretty sure he still gets canticles.

He would, except he said he's trying to mix Marines and AdMech in the same detachment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

OhDearGodNo posted:

I'm trying to get Nork Doombull done by Saturday. The "SMART" gun took a long time to piece together. Bonus points if someone can name all the parts that made up the gun.

Also Beer, if you are going I need to offload some AoBR orks if you're interested: Boyz, burnaz, flash gitz, 2 Warbosses, liek 6 bikes, and I think 11 koptas.

You deserve it for convincing me to get a Star Citizen refund a while back.

AOBR had bikes....?