Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Bad (Trapped) With Money:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.40e002e3a392

quote:

An ATM dispensed cash — and notes for help from a man trapped inside

A police officer driving near the waterfront in Corpus Christi, Tex., Wednesday afternoon was waved down and given an unusual tip: an ATM was dispensing handwritten notes scribbled with an existential appeal — “please help.”

An officer kicked down the door to reveal the author of the notes. A man, hidden behind the machine, was locked in the service room that housed the ATM.

The repairman wrote “several” pleas for help to people using the drive-through ATM, but it’s unknown how many notes were passed on to citizens. One note collected by a local news station read: “Please help. I’m stuck in here, and I don’t have my phone. Please call my boss,” with the number written below.

Police freed the man, but since there was no crime committed, details and records are slim, Hooper said. Officers on the scene said they believed the man was trapped for two hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, it's a reverse mortgage for your car.

Chances are you make more money delivering pizzas. I made pretty good scratch doing that.

100% agree. When I said that I do this every couple of months, I mean I've been a driver for about a year and made about $1000 bucks. It's not about making the most money for me, it's the flexibility. Like, say I've got a trip in a couple of weeks I can go drive for a weekend and have a couple hundred extra for the trip or I can sit around and drink and play video games. I don't have to be held to a schedule.

All of these are the reasons people say they like to drive full-time and I did that for one weekend in Atlanta - totally not worth it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

trapped in ATM factory send help

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

curufinor posted:

I'm going to need to you make a list of other places where you can get 2-100 million for objectively stupid ideas

My employer got that, here in beautiful terrible Tampa, Florida

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(You don't have to be in the Bay Area to raise money from Bay Area VCs either.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Or, you could look at it as you're giving the homeless a job and money. Every cloud.

Give the unemployed jobs building houses for the homeless. Bam I just fixed America.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

ate all the Oreos posted:

Give the unemployed jobs building houses for the homeless. Bam I just fixed America.

Gotta fix the zoning first.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

After you cure homelessness the homeless no longer have jobs to keep their houses and then gentrification/hipsters come in and take those homes.

What you need is a steady stream of new homeless people to keep the homeless builders working and that's where our new AHCA healthcare reform comes in.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

This would actually work :ssh:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This would actually work :ssh:
Sure, yeah, let's give the unmedicated, untreated mentally ill homeless folk a nailgun. All they were missing was a solid work ethic, right?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yawgmoth posted:

trapped in ATM machine factory send help

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

Sure, yeah, let's give the unmedicated, untreated mentally ill homeless folk a nailgun. All they were missing was a solid work ethic, right?

The unmedicated untreated mentally ill are not counted among the unemployed.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The unmedicated untreated mentally ill are not counted among the unemployed.

I'm sure they would be able to live in a house independently without support, all they need to do is man up.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I will stab you with my machete sword until you die from laceration cuts. :mad:

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
BWM is paying $10 to post on a comedy forum and reading a thread about people bad with money that consistently gets distracted by a right-wing troll and a left-wing troll who both give one cause to remind oneself of Poe's Law.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

BWM is paying $10 to post on a comedy forum and reading a thread about people bad with money that consistently gets distracted by a right-wing troll and a left-wing troll who both give one cause to remind oneself of Poe's Law.
Sometimes I like to imagine that you're actually Dwight Eisenhower IRL and you spend your days blessing this subforum with your grandfatherly advice. Thanks, Mr. President.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6n3odo/is_my_personal_investor_taking_advantage_of_me/

Is My Personal Investor Taking Advantage of Me?

quote:

Back story: my Mom passed away twenty years ago and my Dad won a wrongful death suit which wound up being split amongst her, my sisters and I. At the time I was 12, so my Mom wound up setting up accounts for all of us with my Grandpa's personal investor and put all of the money with him. Full disclosure, I didn't like to think about the death or the suit and essentially just left the money alone for the entirety of my adult life. But now I'm a Dad myself and seeing things differently and recognize this as an opportunity to take care of my own kids.
Now I know nothing about investing, but I feel like a big red flag has popped up and I figured this was the appropriate place to ask for feedback on it. I have about 100K with this investor - 30K of which is invested and visible in a TD Ameritrade account. I have access to it, can see what is bought and sold, etc.

The other 70K is in an aquaculture investment. Every three months a dividend check, the same amount for the past five years and cut from his personal investment company - comes in the mail. I've asked a couple times over the past year in passing if I could get some kind of visible access to the investment through a website or paper documentation and have always been met with some vague response - promised letters that have never been sent, return phone calls never made, etc. Recently I asked again for documentation, stating that I really needed it this time for a bank loan and he again tried to run me around in circles. After some back and forth conversation about the importance of staying committed to a direction in your investments and saving for the future he told me that if it was just for proof for a bank loan that he would need to transfer the investment into an actual investment account, and then create a 1099 stating that it's only been earning interests since January of 2017 - because I have never paid taxes on it.

So my question is: is this normal? As I said, I know nothing of investing, and I get that I have left this guy with a twenty year impression that I don't care what's going on with this account which could lead to the evasiveness, but my gut is telling me something fishy is going on. Is this just standard practice?

From the comments:

quote:

He actually does my taxes, as well - I can run through past tax records, but I don't recall ever seeing anything on it. He essentially said to me that I haven't been paying taxes on it, though.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

monster on a stick posted:

I'm sure they would be able to live in a house independently without support, all they need to do is man up.

Turns out that its actually much more effective to give people a home and then help them overcome their problems than expect them to overcome those problems on the street before they're allowed to rejoin society.

They provide them with case managers to help them out, and that is still cheaper than having to scrape people off the street year-round because they have no where to go and no consistent support.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Additionally, loosening zoning to allow more development would result in a boost to construction employment, which is like manufacturing in terms of blue collar jobs except that you can't ship it overseas!

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Seriously. Note how the right-wing troll and left-wing troll manage to basically ignore one another. Talent recognizes talent. While others here dance around like fools.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

There's two types of homeless. The ranting shambling homeless guy that we think of when we think "homeless" and the "invisible homeless" who are just extremely poor and living in a friend's shed or in their car or squatting somewhere. The latter could definitely have many of their problems solved via "free house."

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hoodwinker posted:

I'm trying to think if there are any stories of homeless carpenters making the world a better place, but I keep coming up with nothing. Anyone help me out?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Dik Hz posted:

I'm trying to think if there are any stories of homeless carpenters making the world a better place, but I keep coming up with nothing. Anyone help me out?
None that worked out in the end.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Clearly the answer is give the construction workers great health insurance. Good enough that they can get mental help, and good enough that other companies have to step up their game or not get many applicants. Free market :eng101:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Holy gently caress. I'd of been on the phone with a lawyer after the second time I asked for documentation of my investments and not receiving them. Think this guy is ever gonna see his 70k again? The tax thing may be OK since I doubt the dude has paid him out more than the 70k he stole so who knows...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Then provide support? To bring this around to BWM, I think it was LA that found it was cheaper to use Medicaid funds to just provide free apartments and occasional home visits to the homeless instead of the inevitable emergency room costs from living on the streets.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Dik Hz posted:

None that actually made the world a better place, no. I remember one that spawned a bunch of wars and violence, though.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

TB is more often than not right about things imo. People complain about her 'messaging' but it's not like they'd change their opinion if she was nicer in challenging their lovely opinions so rage on, angry dinosaur, rage on.

I recently came across a subreddit entitlted Pro Revenge. Some of the stuff is probably STDH, but there's some entertaining stories about people who go all scorched earth after being wronged.

In this one a computer controller manufacturer realizes a competitor who sells a better constructed product was using a broken old copy of their firmware to make it run. This being the late 90s, the manufacturer tweaked their Y2K firmware upgrade in a way that effectively bricked controllers running this old version. BWM: cutting corners in a vital part of your business, allowing this to happen:

quote:

There was a bit of saber rattling when Competitor started getting complaints about Y2K that culminated in a series of messenger-delivered nasty-grams. Their position was that their outsourced programmers assured them they were compliant and that we should turn off the dialog before they sue us for tortious interference. Our position was that if they didn't want us to complain about the bugs they should have had their outsourced programmers steal a version that didn't have those bugs.

A year later Competitor went under. Between pulling their new product off the market voluntarily and the lawsuit with the foreign company they'd contracted to 'write' firmware, they just ran out of money. We got a great deal on some of their assets before they did though. Thousands of controllers for fifteen-cents on the dollar, tooling to make more for ten cents, etc, as they tried to keep the suit alive long enough to actually see money from it.

In pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered territory, a student residence slumlord skims a small amount off security deposits for bullshit charges when people leave. After realizing it was a deliberate scam, OP gives a heads up to other students in the building. The dad of one of the other tenants was a lawyer who took it personally and started digging. Turned out the guy had a dozen properties and they could prove it it was going on for years, meaning he skimmed enough money to enter criminal charges territory and potentially jeopordize his legal status and ownership of the properties. Oops!

This slumlord was a dick that wouldn't do any maintenance, so the tenants kept a leak flowing for months racking up an increasingly insane water bill. They'd shut off the water whenever someone would come by looking for the source of the leak, and in the end the landlord shelled out 25k to fix a non-existent problem that could have been avoided by doing 15 bucks worth of maintenance.

It's a nice blend of BWM and schadenfreude :)

FREE TB

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

The financial independence daily thread pointed me to this amazing conspiracy theory that sounds right up the thread's alley:

The Redemption Movement

quote:

According to the theory, the government created a fictitious person (or "straw man") corresponding to each newborn citizen with bank accounts initially holding $630,000. The theory further holds that through obscure procedures under the Uniform Commercial Code, a citizen can "reclaim" the straw man and write checks against its accounts.

The redemption movement is based on a theory developed in the 1980s by Roger Elvick, who has been called a "founding father" of the modern redemption movement. The theory is, in part, that for every citizen's birth certificate issued in the U.S. since the 1936 Social Security Act, the government deposits $630,000 in a hidden bank account linked to the newborn American and administered by a Jewish cabal. Redemptionists assert that by completing certain legal maneuvers and filing a series of government forms, the actual person may entitle himself or herself to the $630,000 held in the name of the doppelganger persona created for him or her at birth, and may then access these government funds using "sight drafts". The government views these sight drafts as "rubber checks" and the entire scheme as fraudulent. The federal government has convicted the practitioners of fraud and conspiracy.

Don't let the Jewish shadow government keep you down! It's your straw man money and you want it now!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

quote:

the government deposits $630,000 in a hidden bank account linked to the newborn American and administered by a Jewish cabal

Delegating your finances to a Jewish cabal is actually GWM.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Delegating your finances to a Jewish cabal is actually GWM.

Look up what's going on in Lakewood, NJ and you may have a different mindset.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
That conspiracy tends to create joinder with the Sovereign Citizen movement.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I found this.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's a shame that a thread title can't be an image.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Custom background for BFC, imo.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Cross-posting this because it's definitely bad with someone's money and its URL, while unrelated to the content, is this thread.

https://gfycat.com/HighlevelOrganicEquine

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

(You don't have to be in the Bay Area to raise money from Bay Area VCs either.)

yes you do, otherwise why would anyone

Subjunctive posted:

Do you even remember what you're talking about?

curufinor is one of the best posters on these dead gay forums and you are one of the worst, so kindly gently caress off back to whatever it is you "do" now

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
i wasnt really following that conversation and wondered why everybody was dunking on subjunctive but looking back he's the retard that works in interviews but thinks interviewers can't ask what your address is during an interview lol

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

curufinor is one of the best posters on these dead gay forums

fake news! fake news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Guinness posted:

It's a shame that a thread title can't be an image.

It can be a short URL though.