Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I was at the grocery store and a middle aged guy was writing a check with his wife and kid looking awfully concerned behind him. It sounded like the cashier couldn't do the direct debit for whatever reason so he was probably floating money.

Remember when it was possible to float money? Those were good times. I wouldn't be surprised if a not insignificant number of title pawn loans are for people who would otherwise just be writing checks that would only clear two days from now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cloks posted:

Extremely forums poster John Smith voice: You should be charging that human rent because they live in your house and consume your goods. I hope you're keeping a running tab of what they owe you so you can present the bill to them when they can assume fiduciary responsibility.
Nope! Just don't have one, if you are not willing to accept the responsibility. The freedom to choose includes the freedom to not do something.

Hoodwinker posted:

Having children is needlessly reckless behavior and it's entirely your fault when your child marries a person of low class and standards, resulting in tainting of the family bloodline.
Yes, although "entirely" might be putting it too strongly. Imagine if your daughter married a security guard or manual labourer...

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

No Butt Stuff posted:

At least if I have friends who use my bank, I can send them money that way. If they use a different bank, then it's impossible and I give up.

Coming from Europe, this is just baffling. It really doesn't matter what bank anyone is using, just need the BIC and IBAN.

Ashcans posted:

It's probable that we shouldn't call it 'balancing a checkbook' anymore because even people who write checks probably aren't filing out the register and then checking it against their bank statement, but the basic concept that it is trying to teach you is reconciling your transactions with your assets so that you know where your money is going and that there aren't any mistakes. That is actually a pretty significant and valuable lesson that a lot of people probably don't get until they gently caress up whatever self-management they have developed and overdraw/bounce payments and get to deal with the fallout from doing so.

It's also the second half of the budgeting process that a lot of people miss; many people do the 'make a budget' thing and then are sloppy about following through and confirming where all their spending has actually occurred. Not that we are any better at teaching people that first step, either.

Reconciling your bank account keeps you aware of all those little monthly subscriptions which have become extremely popular online.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

John Smith posted:

Nope! Just don't have one, if you are not willing to accept the responsibility. The freedom to choose includes the freedom to not do something.
Yes, although "entirely" might be putting it too strongly. Imagine if your daughter married a security guard or manual labourer...

I appreciate that even our mocking caricatures of you don't meet up to the actual you in terribleness.

Also go gently caress yourself.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6n16rm/jobless_nearly_broke_2_houses_2_cars_with/

quote:

So almost a year ago, I left my 64k a year job to work for a start-up, I withdrew my 50k 401k (after taxes and fees) and loaned it to the business owner with the assumption that it would be paid back by Christmas plus he would cover taxes and penalties for withdrawing, and I would be making nearly double what I was making. That has completely fallen through, the owner proved to be a deceptive snake oil salesman, and while he is paying back the loan, it is over a much longer period, and I am no longer working for him, and suing him is not an option. I am charging him interest, but my immediate situation is rather dire. I have no job but am actively applying to places, my wife works but only makes $9 or $10 an hour and usually works ~30hrs, I own a rental house that isn't making money, but have only owned it for a couple years so don't have much equity (I am going to sell this one but have to notify tenants and it will take time to sell), I own the home I am living in and paying 750 a month on a land contract with 0% interest, but have owned for less than a year. I have two cars with significant loans on them (each one is around 15k-17k) and I am underwater by about 6 or 8k total between the two (one had my prior car's remaining balance rolled into it, and they have both depreciated significantly). I owe the IRS 13k from the withdrawal, and am on a $230/month payment plan with them. On top of all that, I have racked up about 10k in credit card debt over the last year, my credit score is shot, and my wife has student loans that are about $400 a month. I am less than a month away from being completely broke. Do I have any options besides bankruptcy? I'm feeling pretty hopeless, and I obviously regret my decision to leave the stability of my last job, but I don't know where to begin to fix this.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
No place on earth where you should make a start-up except for the sf bay area and no start-up on earth you should work for, for less than 100 grand and a deec amount of equity vested 4 years cliff at 1 year

(The equity can vary orders of magnitude, that's fine. If you have less than 5% don't count on getting rich unless the company becomes a tech major)

(The first employee gets 2-4%, later employees slope down w/ exception of c level hires)

curufinor fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 13, 2017

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ate all the Oreos posted:

I appreciate that even our mocking caricatures of you don't meet up to the actual you in terribleness.

Also go gently caress yourself.
You first. :)

Unlike many of you, I don't feel obliged to maintain the little social courtesies and fiction when I am online. We all have a station in life, why pretend otherwise? The truth may be uncomfortable to you, but things are what they are.

P.S. Mind you, I am not saying it is everything in life. But it is ***certainly*** not nothing in life either. Just so silly to hear people politely pretending otherwise.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 13, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Just lol at the chain of red flags.

quote:

the guy was a family friend

quote:

He hadn't done this before, but was supposed to have vast amounts of knowledge and experience

quote:

He assured me that the business was a sure thing.

quote:

I thought I had assurances of monthly income after I put in my share, but we never worked it out officially.

quote:

Unfortunately the other guy is pretty much broke right now too, but I should be getting another lump payment from him in or around September. I'm holding out hope and budgeting around that

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Why yes, I will both work for and be a venture capitalist for this startup that's sure to succeed.

It worked for that Facebook guy who they tried to cheat out of millions. But I'm smarter, they can only cheat me out of thousands.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
there is something to be said about someone who spends a lot of energy pushing this narrative of being a superior human being to complete and total loving strangers (goons no less), half of who hate your guts

why you trying so hard with us, who gives a poo poo what goons think? Did you run off all your irl friends or are you just another loser posing really, really hard for the internet? Nothing about your posting hints at you being a well-adjusted, successful male? Obviously we don't take what you say at face value.

Anyways idiot libertarians aside, BWM chat! My friend is running for Favor, she made a cool $70 in one morning. Not awful, right? Well I played some BUSINESS MATH with her and after deducting gas, taxes, and misc expenses, she ended up making $10/hr to put miles on her car. Not hugely horrifying until you consider the cost of living in Austin....there's hundreds and hundreds of Favor "runners" in Austin, how are they even getting by??

Yay gig economy! GIgs are nice for bonus income but good god, why would you think living off of "app money" is even remotely sustainable?! Just Get A Job

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 13, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

curufinor posted:

No place on earth where you should make a start-up except for the sf Bay Area

:rolleyes:

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
People try to make money off app jobs because they're desperate and may otherwise be unemployed. Its a job you're basically guaranteed to get and those firms all have marketing dollars to convince people it's a good idea.

The only app I feel guilt free using is task rabbit as the fees are high enough that I assume people are getting s good deal working on it. The rest are all miserable. What are the chances my uber driver sleeps in his car? 10%? 5%?

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

I'm going to need to you make a list of other places where you can get 2-100 million for objectively stupid ideas

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I like Spotify and Google Maps.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

curufinor posted:

I'm going to need to you make a list of other places where you can get 2-100 million for objectively stupid ideas

Goalposts, baby, but Seattle, Boston, NYC, Paris, definitely definitely Beijing.

You're saying "do not start any business anywhere in the world but these 3 area codes", which is just stupid.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

curufinor posted:

You have a weird definition of 'start-up'

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

KingSlime posted:

there is something to be said about someone who spends a lot of energy pushing this narrative of being a superior human being to complete and total loving strangers (goons no less), half of who hate your guts

Dude is just trolling around. If it bothers you, just ignore.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Blinkman987 posted:

People try to make money off app jobs because they're desperate and may otherwise be unemployed. Its a job you're basically guaranteed to get and those firms all have marketing dollars to convince people it's a good idea.

The only app I feel guilt free using is task rabbit as the fees are high enough that I assume people are getting s good deal working on it. The rest are all miserable. What are the chances my uber driver sleeps in his car? 10%? 5%?

There was an article about people who lived like 2 hours outside of San Francisco and would drive into SF to drive Uber for days at a time while sleeping in their cars in a Safeway parking lot. Most of them had given up real jobs to do this, had families they never see, and when the reporter asked them "Like, isn't this just really loving stupid, don't you want to have some protections or benefits?" I remember one of the guys screeched that he'd hate that because he wants to be his own boss!

edit: gently caress, while I was looking for the article, I found a forum for uber drivers that is absolutely dripping with bad with money

guy who is figuring it out posted:

Here is two rides I took yesterday.
14.64 miles
Base fare: $0.86
Distance 9.44
Time 3.24
------------
Total $13.54

8.14 miles
Base fare: $0.86
Distance 5.25
Time 2.02
------------
Total $8.13

Looks like a dollar a mile to me.
No?

the average american voter posted:

Why are you calculating by the mile. Your doing a driving Job with your own car. Your going to put wear and tear plus miles on the car so you don't go by the miles. You made $20 in 5 minutes. If you can find a job that pays you $20 for 5 min of work please let me know.

another fun one: https://uberpeople.net/threads/what-base-fare-1-69.167719/%1D

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 13, 2017

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Blinkman987 posted:

I drive for Uber / Lyft about once every couple of months when I know I'm gonna need a bit of extra money coming up. Doing the math it is essentially transferring the value of my car for cash, but sometimes you need it.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

Goalposts, baby, but Seattle, Boston, NYC, Paris, definitely definitely Beijing.

You're saying "do not start any business anywhere in the world but these 3 area codes", which is just stupid.

Beijing, sure, if you have the guanxi i guess
But I've been told the experience of raising is like purgatory in nyc compared to the bay area, and like hell in other places

And I'm not saying don't start a business, just saying don't start a business with world spanning ambition

I don't know if you buy that definition of start-up or not, but i think it's a decent operational definition

E: and judging by that guy's behavior, he was under that operational definition too

curufinor fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 13, 2017

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Nobody likes you, go gently caress the devil in hell.

I'll edit something BWM in shortly to stay on topic but really man shut the gently caress up you sizzle-dick motherfucker, even on ignore you're still an idiot.

e. ok got something

Context: the owner of that site is a former canadian politician/current financial advisor that's been bearing on the canadian housing bubble for years. A number of weeks ago during a local market maximum, a dude name derek wrote in to say that his house sold but the buyer flaked. Housing is down like 12%+ since then, but the buyer is responsible for the difference between what the house sells for and what they agreed to buy it for.

quote:

First up, Derek. You may recall this blog dog sold his North GTA McMansion at the height of the frenzy prior to Easter, received multiple bids, and picked the highest one – $2.25 million, more than he expected. Days later, with the market starting to turn, the buyers balked. They begged to be let out of the deal, then the mean lawyers were called in. Ultimately Derek relisted (for $2.25), later dropping the price to $1.9.

Meanwhile he sued the purchasers (one of whom is a real estate agent) for breach of contract. The claimed damages amount to $1 million plus costs, and the defendants have until the end of the month to file a statement of defence. But they ‘ve chosen to disappear. No communication. Nada.

Word from their agent is that an offer might possibly, maybe, perhaps be in the works for a max of $1.6. “I’ll take it,” says D, who meanwhile has rented a new place with possession on August 1st – the date the house deal was supposed to close. So all of the costs of his original place – mortgage payments, property taxes, insurance, maintenance from that day on – will be added to the claim.

Comments a lawyer working on similar cases in the area: “This is endemic. We are swamped with actions involving collapsed deals, and the effect seems to be one of dominoes. I’m starting to think the entire move-up market is collapsing as buyers elect to default, or find they cannot finance at the prices they paid. Good for us, though.”

BWM: overleveraging yourself to buy an asset in a bubble
BWM square: shelling out an amount in the high six figures for the same property except you don't actually own it and can't mortgage the balance. Coulda bought a house for that! :sad:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 13, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

omnibobb posted:

I drive for Uber / Lyft about once every couple of months when I know I'm gonna need a bit of extra money coming up. Doing the math it is essentially transferring the value of my car for cash, but sometimes you need it.

Yeah, it's a reverse mortgage for your car.

Chances are you make more money delivering pizzas. I made pretty good scratch doing that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

curufinor posted:

I don't know if you buy that definition of start-up or not, but i think it's a decent operational definition

I don't, and neither do most of the 15 startups who pitch me for funding in a given month. I'm not sure where you're sampling, so maybe you see a different company mix, but very few founders I see are Trying To Be Google.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

I don't, and neither do most of the 15 startups who pitch me for funding in a given month. I'm not sure where you're sampling, so maybe you see a different company mix, but very few founders I see are Trying To Be Google.

Don't you do small angel rounds?

You definitely start getting the megalomaniacs at series a, at least. Worked for a few of those

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

curufinor posted:

Don't you do small angel rounds?

No, I don't do angel rounds. I write $750K-$2.5M cheques on rounds up to about $4M, for a first cheque.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KingSlime posted:

why you trying so hard with us, who gives a poo poo what goons think? Did you run off all your irl friends or are you just another loser posing really, really hard for the internet? Nothing about your posting hints at you being a well-adjusted, successful male? Obviously we don't take what you say at face value.
It is a tad bit difficult to put down others without coming off that way, isn't it?

But this specific sidetrack isn't on me, is it? Considering that you are at fault here.

Nope. I am very aggressive and definitely not well adjusted. But yes, I do claim to be ***somewhat*** successful (modest, nothing special) if you chose to define success in a very narrow financial sense. Make of it what you will since this is the internet.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

No, I don't do angel rounds. I write $750K-$2.5M cheques on rounds up to about $4M, for a first cheque.

Ah, well, ok. You do definitely see a lot of megalomaniacs hiring, at least, but this is the delicate art of fibbing to engineers, anyhow.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

curufinor posted:

Ah, well, ok. You do definitely see a lot of megalomaniacs hiring, at least, but this is the delicate art of fibbing to engineers, anyhow.

Do you even remember what you're talking about?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Guest2553 posted:

BWM: overleveraging yourself to buy an asset in a bubble
BWM square: shelling out an amount in the high six figures for the same property except you don't actually own it and can't mortgage the balance. Coulda bought a house for that! :sad:

Canada is going to be majorly hosed when the real estate bubble crashes. I wonder how many of their major banks will go under.

John Smith posted:

Nope. I am very aggressive and definitely not well adjusted.

Well sir, if you are not well adjusted, then you definitely do not belong on these forums with all the other definitely not well adjusted people.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

Do you even remember what you're talking about?

Yes. By "megalomaniacs" i mean those people with probably delusional but still strong world spanning pretensions, aka those people within the more limited definition of a start-up. You don't get nearly that volume of that kind of people in nyc , for example

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guest2553 posted:

Nobody likes you, go gently caress the devil in hell.
gently caress you too. :)

I am in the right in this very specific instance. Kindly take your anger to the poster where it rightfully belongs.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
This thread sucks

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Barry posted:

This thread sucks

do something about it then! watchu got for us

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
How does a housing market turn in only a few days time? That's some grade A pure unstepped on speculation right there.

My sister's 400k house deal fell through because the inspector came back and said the wiring had to be ripped out and then the owners refused to let anyone test for radon.

There's no radon issue. I'm sure their agent told them to refuse so the buyers would get spooked and bail. Now they'll relist and say the wiring's hosed and sorry that is 'as is' for a 400k house in Denver.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Blinkman987 posted:

I read an article interviewing Task Rabbit employees and a lot of them were homeless :smith:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Or, you could look at it as you're giving the homeless a job and money. Every cloud.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
there's gotta be some bwm stories in this one

https://www.cbinsights.com/blog/biggest-startup-failures/

also:

http://www.businessinsider.com/yahoo-ceo-marissa-mayer-blows-millions-on-parties-and-sponsorships-says-eric-jackson-2015-12

e: lol $7 million party
that's probably enough to actually get decaprio to show up, isn't it

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I wish someone had paid me $300 million to ruin a dying company further.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
GWM for mayer, true
BWM for shareholders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Or, you could look at it as you're giving the homeless a job and money. Every cloud.

Cute.

The greatest comment I've ever seen on Hacker News was on some "gig economy" story; it was a guy who explained that none of this was new to him, he was able to order cars and groceries on-demand from his phone in the 90s, because he was living in Mumbai. "The secret of the gig economy is simple: it's just income inequality."