Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Erd posted:

Yeah

I just had a thing where vault 88 was under attack, and after I made the transition to the cave I spawned right on top of a pile of super mutants. Is this a vanilla thing? I thought there was a delay before the raiding parties spawn in defence tasks.

Erm, no I don't think you do unless horizon specifically changes that, you can go to nuka world at level one if you want to, it will be miserable, but you can go.

Here's a video.

You can also go to far harbour as early as you can get to the boat, and buy yourself all the guns from there, the lever action makes an excellent low-mid level gun as soon as you can craft .45 government.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

graynull posted:

This is rather :spergin: but I'm slightly annoyed at the eyebot/robot table requirement for making a resource management table. Really because I like to try to RP when I can, and I don't know poo poo about robots and Sturges sure as hell doesn't know anything. He couldn't even type 'password' into the Concord Museum terminal to find a power core to save everyone's stupid asses. Also kinda wish magazines weren't so key to making ammo. Feel like I have to go outside the game and look up magazine locations to specifically hunt for in case I never happened upon them on my own. Then again, maybe once you can craft ammo the game becomes easier (I'm looking at you, hunting rifle .308's).

Sturges fixed up a few suits of power armor before you ran into him, and he also does more interesting things with technology during the course of the game.

If you check your mailbox you get a list of hints about where to find ammo crafting magazines once you make an ammo crafting table, of various safety/difficulty. Plus you can do "contracted work" for slightly higher pricing for basically anything if that fits your character better.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Erm, no I don't think you do unless horizon specifically changes that, you can go to nuka world at level one if you want to, it will be miserable, but you can go.

You're right, you only don't get the radio signal (which tips you off if you don't already know where it is) til level 30.

On another subject,

horse mans posted:

I discussed horizon's latest changes on stream. The long and short of it for me is: the workbenches are starting to feel like the kind of insane poo poo I used to do with Technic in Minecraft. And the resource system kind of sucks. And getting to rely on fewer and fewer mods sucks.

But it's light years ahead of vanilla survival. And I'm not sure I would play a survival play through without it, even with all of its warts.

For those complaining about the super mutant weapons: it's clear they are just a proof of concept for the overall weapons system the author wants to integrate into Fallout. The underlying system, along with the experimentation lab, is designed to be a foundation for anyone else who wants to build weapons on top of Horizon and have them scale properly, get in leveled lists properly, be extensible with custom legendary traits, and so on. Which is great because weapon balance is one of the biggest issues with modding fallout.

I don't buy the super mutant weapons being a proof concept because they immediately added a whole bunch of brotherhood and synth weapons next patch. It says clearly in the patch notes they are diversifying factions by adding a bladed tire iron with a slightly longer handle or a micro sledge. If there's a 'proof of concept' in there it's the incinerator gun that you build from the workbench that has been there forever. Although personally I just hate them because I have a problem with vanilla assets mashed together in an ugly way.

There is another problem with the new weapon additions: there is already a ton of unused weapon variety for super mutants in the game. Each weapon mod for the sledgehammer, pool cue and board changes the look of the weapon but currently aren't in the leveled lists.

These are some of the possible super mutant weapons in the base game:

And then they add the microsledge (a weapon created by Micro Forte having not enough time or money to add weapon animations for a 2 handed swing but the supersledge being too iconic) instead of giving the brotherhood rippers?

I think the author has his vision for what the game should be like and that is fine but it's feeling more and more at odds with my common sense. When they made a compatibility patch for various mods of game appropriate weapons instead of adding them to the game world or leveled lists they can only be crafted at the workbench, so no, I don't think the author has any desire to help people add weapons to the gameworld. I think they want Horizon to be the be all and end all of mods.

That said, I love the mod in its pre bloat state for it's economy and changes to vanilla survival's flaws. I've run out of a ton of different resources unlike vanilla where wood and adhesive were my sole stumbling blocks. I like that tools are tools rather than sources of wood and iron. Enemies no longer become walls of meat and a lot of the perks have been made desirable instead of forgettable. I have no problem changing the stats and recipes of power armours and weapons I've added to the game to fit the difficulty curve and my experience playing has been better than the vanilla game. I absolutely agree that it is almost necessary if you want to tackle survival. I'd rather not have jank like the fuel system and being forced to pick my own crops but they are forgivable in the long run.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The reason the weapon pack isn't adding them to the LL is because the author is writing a new LL handling system that integrates weapons with Horizon's damaged variant and crafting system, and that isn't done yet.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there any quest mods that don't feel like playing a B-movie with no name actors because yeesh. This one adds custom areas that aren't designed for players wearing power armor so your head constantly clips into the ceiling

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also props to the insane eastern european pervert who made the Strong Except A Hot rear end Green Woman w/ Customizable Thongs that's a hot file right now

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
If you go through my post history in the thread, you can see I was trying to find the best combination of larger settlement perimeters and scrapping rules. I settled on Scrap Everything and Build High for my current playthrough, but it looks like there's a new expanded settlements mod, All Settlements Extended, that advertises compatibility with Scrap Everything and Sim Settlements (I've also had issues with settlers not doing the right thing outside of the vanilla extents). It also expands Covenant! Which other mods don't seem to touch. Based on the screenshots, though, I'm not a fan of the Castle's or Hangman's Alley extents, but that's just personal preference.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Larry Parrish posted:

Also props to the insane eastern european pervert who made the Strong Except A Hot rear end Green Woman w/ Customizable Thongs that's a hot file right now

Oh, Skadi? I believe that started as "what if Cait took FEV injections with her Psycho?"

Someone followed that up with "what if Cait wasn't quite half-super mutant but still definitely mutated and emitted life threatening radiation in addition to being green?"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

horse mans posted:

If you go through my post history in the thread, you can see I was trying to find the best combination of larger settlement perimeters and scrapping rules. I settled on Scrap Everything and Build High for my current playthrough, but it looks like there's a new expanded settlements mod, All Settlements Extended, that advertises compatibility with Scrap Everything and Sim Settlements (I've also had issues with settlers not doing the right thing outside of the vanilla extents). It also expands Covenant! Which other mods don't seem to touch. Based on the screenshots, though, I'm not a fan of the Castle's or Hangman's Alley extents, but that's just personal preference.

I just got that, it's supposed to address the issues with sim settlements not working outside of the vanilla extents and I'm probably just not going to use all of the area, it's nice to be able to have the space even if you don't use it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Hot take, difficulty/game play/overhaul mods need to touch most of the game to achieve their desired balance. Most of y'all bitching about bloat and I'm over here thanking God I don't have to obsess over opening every other mod in tes edit and balance it to my interpretation of whatever overhaul I'm using.

Horizon is fine, it may not be for you.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Horizon's far reaching changes aren't really the problem. It's more to do with the matter of the weapon crafting setup not really being all that great, and is otherwise overly cumbersome in an part of the game that... well, wasn't really a problem.

Legendary crafting in particular is... confounding, from a design perspective.

On one hand, it addresses the problem of Legendaries being necessary for end-game. In particular, SPECIFIC legendaries being necessary for their obscene damage output to otherwise deal with obscene NPC healthpools. That late-game Fallout 4 pidgeonholes the player into specific roles, the odds of getting a functional Legendary that suited your build is... well, not good. Craftable legendaries addresses both problems.

Neat.

but Horizon already addressed both issues.
Being able to craft a legendary of the weapon class you prefer is welcome, but not exactly a "fix" to the above, because Horizon perks don't allow for huge scaling in weapon damage. It doesn't matter that an exploding SMG dropped and you're an energy weapon's spec. It will still kick rear end.
What's more, legendaries tags were better balanced, so Exploding isn't nearly so make or break. Other tags are viable, and generally, the tags aren't so significant as to completely define your build. They're just "nice".
Finally, because NPC health is normalized, the need for crazy damage output is grossly mitigated, and you don't have to sweat not having an explosive/bleeding Legendary, or ANY legendary for that matter.

So why the crafting? Well, it's a nice novelty, but I don't see why the entire system needs to be so obtuse. It upends the simple, but otherwise "rewarding" experience of blunder on Legendary->Kill Legendary->see 'neat' gear. Instead, you don't see neat gear at all. You get a forgettable mutagen, or alloy, that disappears into your junk storage, until one day you decide to give a poo poo about crafting and duck your head into a computer terminal for half an hour.

I don't mind it - but now, rather than a "bonus" mechanism for getting more specialized gear for specialized builds (as far as that is possible in Horizon), it is literally the way to get Legendaries (world placed stuff still exists, but that is, in a word, lame.

I still dig Horizon. I just don't feel the direction of the latest change was graceful or elegant. I can deal, but at present, gear crafting doesn't feel like it adds anything, and otherwise isn't fun/rewarding, and it needed to completely upend levelled lists to do so.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I run around my survival game with 2x player 2x monster damage, 75% of vanilla hunger/thirst rate, and autosaves on level up. Things aren't terribly bullet spongy and I can die to raiders in my Mk. VI X-01 suit if I'm not careful. Works for me.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Not specifically mod related but what are the best legendary traits for late game? I'm level 90 and I installed a mod that levels all enemies along with me and lmao its loving brutal.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Not specifically mod related but what are the best legendary traits for late game? I'm level 90 and I installed a mod that levels all enemies along with me and lmao its loving brutal.

I find the only ones worth bothering with for weapons are Two Shot (for semi-automatics or sniper rifles), instigating (for sniper rifles), and furious (for automatics).

There's a case to be made for irradiated, especially if you've maxed out the nuclear physicist perk, but that doesn't help you on ghouls/mutants/robots.

Wounding isn't bad but the damage doesn't scale up as well, so by the time you're high level the target should, hopefully, be very dead before you start noticing the bleed doing its thing.

As for armor? I usually go with some combination of stuff like Autostim, Fortifying (+Str/End), Cunning (+Agi/Per), and Powered (AP refresh speed). Bolstering (+stat at low health) if you're using a build like rad powered.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 12, 2017

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
Weaponsmith Extended has probably hosed my game I think

the ridiculous amount of ammo types added by the New Calibers mod means that people routinely spawn with ammunition that is mismatched to the weapon that they're carrying, so everyone just runs around the wasteland beating on each other with their fists. I hate to believe that someone thought this was a good design decision but this is the nexus after all

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean to me that sounds like you should be rolling kenshiro and atatatatating your way across the wasteland.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

I can get behind most of this. There is definitely diminishing returns in the system as it's set up now. But I imagine it's going to get better.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

MadPierrot posted:

Weaponsmith Extended has probably hosed my game I think

the ridiculous amount of ammo types added by the New Calibers mod means that people routinely spawn with ammunition that is mismatched to the weapon that they're carrying, so everyone just runs around the wasteland beating on each other with their fists. I hate to believe that someone thought this was a good design decision but this is the nexus after all

Weaponsmith Extended is terrible. The real trick is to just grab all the various weapon mods you want individually and create a merged patch, which does the job just fine.

WALL of SCIENCE!
Feb 8, 2003

I'm good. You good?
Weaponsmith Extended should set off red flags just for having a 2gb content download, because christ. There's no way that's necessary.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

WALL of SCIENCE! posted:

Weaponsmith Extended should set off red flags just for having a 2gb content download, because christ. There's no way that's necessary.
I know. Only 2gb for an entire weapons pack?

Heh. Get some German Engineering, meine Damen und Herren

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/24394/

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that 80 weapons in 2.5 gigs is pretty reasonable.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm looking for the best mod that makes the enemies less of bullet sponges and the player character equally less durable. Any recommendations?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm looking for the best mod that makes the enemies less of bullet sponges and the player character equally less durable. Any recommendations?

Yes! I have a mod that does exactly that! Create your own difficulty, linked in the OP. Lets you customize how much damage you do to enemies, and enemies do to you.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Weaponsmith Extended is terrible. The real trick is to just grab all the various weapon mods you want individually and create a merged patch, which does the job just fine.

Merged patches seem to be less of a thing now that injecting your weapon into the leveled list via quest script has taken off.
Speaking of which what happens if I remove a weapon mod that does exactly that? How much harm will it do to my saves?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/25486/

Someone made boonie hats!

Erd posted:

Merged patches seem to be less of a thing now that injecting your weapon into the leveled list via quest script has taken off.
Speaking of which what happens if I remove a weapon mod that does exactly that? How much harm will it do to my saves?

I like it in theory, but I kinda like tweaking stuff on my own, and it's much harder to see what all is in all the different lists when they do it that way.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Timeless Appeal posted:

The Unbogus Health mod, I believe, takes out the player's health bonuses from leveling (so it is all Endurance) and tightens the range on enemy health. I find it a good fit for what I want.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
What's the best mod for recruiting settlers as followers? I used one I can't think of pretty early on that was janky as hell, and I come here to avoid jank.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Erd posted:

The edited lists are stored in your save.
Most likely scenario is that the game will crash when it tries to access the removed weapon.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

The edited lists are stored in your save.
Most likely scenario is that the game will crash when it tries to access the removed weapon.

Actually I think the engine handles missing references without crashing - generally if an object is referenced for a mod that is no longer installed the game just ignores it.

Although I'm not sure how this would interact with leveled lists - what you may find happening is enemies or containers might be spawning with nothing in their inventory, because the list picked an item to spawn that was removed.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
That sounds less than perfect. Is the quest an ongoing one I can end through the console? Or can I alter the leveled lists in the quest and rerun it, essentially hiding it from view?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Actually I think the engine handles missing references without crashing - generally if an object is referenced for a mod that is no longer installed the game just ignores it.

I haven't had much experience with the FO4 version of the engine yet.
But in the previous games you would probably end up with CTDs. For example if you remove a weapon mod, the mod lower in your loadorder will move up one position. A form in that mod can then have the same ID the weapon had. The game will freak out when it tries to grab a weapon and finds a NPC record.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Raygereio posted:

I haven't had much experience with the FO4 version of the engine yet.
But in the previous games you would probably end up with CTDs. For example if you remove a weapon mod, the mod lower in your loadorder will move up one position. A form in that mod can then have the same ID the weapon had. The game will freak out when it tries to grab a weapon and finds a NPC record.

I realized I've already removed a mod that added an item and nothing bad happened, but it wasn't injected into leveled lists. And this is a possibility.

It's a "do at your own risk, prepare for loving up" kind of thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've been adding and removing script injected weapons for a while and not notice any issues, I wasn't aware I should expect any?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm still super cautious about adding/removing mods. If I roll a new character, that's the time for me to make changes.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I've been adding and removing script injected weapons for a while and not notice any issues, I wasn't aware I should expect any?
You should in Skyrim and previous games. :shrug: Maybe Bethesda actually went and added some proper error handling that allows the game to deal with the removal of assets with some semblance of grace?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Erd posted:

This has been a thing since at least Oblivion.

quote:

Older games it could (not definitively) cause crashing, I don't think I've ever seen or heard anything definitive for Skyrim or FO4.

I will agree with the above poster in that I think you're probably fine, just be aware of the potential for problems.

I've gone through older games and had saves where I half hardly add and remove mods hundreds of times throughout dozens of hours and while I've never had a save become unusable, it can become noticeably more unstable. These are mostly older games and literally hundreds of mods thought.

If you're one of those players who puts hundreds of hours into the same character/saves then I would be cautious. If you reroll frequently I wouldn't worry about it, just always make sure you RTFM.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Raygereio posted:

You should in Skyrim and previous games. :shrug: Maybe Bethesda actually went and added some proper error handling that allows the game to deal with the removal of assets with some semblance of grace?

I mean I dunno if it's breaking my game slowly but uninstalling the mods just removes the stuff it added.

WALL of SCIENCE!
Feb 8, 2003

I'm good. You good?
Will Loads of Ammo + WBO make heavy weapons usable? I want to run around with a rocket launcher and actually hurt stuff.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

WALL of SCIENCE! posted:

Will Loads of Ammo + WBO make heavy weapons usable? I want to run around with a rocket launcher and actually hurt stuff.

My current character is a power armor wielding melee/heavy weapons guy and I use WBO. I'm in the 50s and I shred things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

I realized I've already removed a mod that added an item and nothing bad happened, but it wasn't injected into leveled lists. And this is a possibility.

It's a "do at your own risk, prepare for loving up" kind of thing.

I added one of those loads and loads of calibers mods and then uninstalled it when I realized how ludicrously janky it was (first you have to go craft a barrel and a conversion kit, then you have to use them to apply it to your weapon, why the gently caress couldn't you just convert the weapon at the workbench with all the other mods) and what happened was that I fought a bunch of melee and unarmed guys for a hour or two and then the weapon lists went back to normal.

And I'm pretty sure it injected stuff into leveled lists.

So it should probably be okay. FO4 seems to generally be a lot better designed than FO3 in terms of mod compatibility (which makes it doubly hilarious that normally you can't get achievements on a modded game).