Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

The Blue Caboose posted:

They're running a tournament that they won't stop emailing me about. From the closed beta it's about what you would expect-- F2P rear end quake with kinda half-baked hero powers.

Also I don't know if they've changed this yet but the Railgun did 100 damage when zoomed but only 80 damage without zoom so gently caress that game.
Quakelive nerfed Railgun damage down from 100 years ago because it was finally somehow decided as too dominant a weapon in the hands of really good players despite existing like that for over a decade. Incentivizing people to use zoom in Quake is a garbage move for sure though

Quake Champions isn't too bad now that they've fixed that embarrassing projectile lag. The early release optimization for variable latency is still awful, however. But it's free to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

gonna hit you with his cockatrice

headcase posted:

Regarding CS:GO, I don't see how It could be considered satisfying from a "sport" or spectator perspective to watch someone put a pixel on tiny pixel of head sticking around a crate at lightning speed. There is no back and forth. there is no reacting or recovering. There is just one superfast motion like an old west shootout. The rest is crouching around a flat map.

I don't mean this as a troll post. I'm just staying I can see why Overwatch wants to take it another direction.

csgo is one of the most popular esports on twitch, frequently dwarfing league tournaments so this is just wrong maybe...?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Kassoon posted:

csgo is one of the most popular esports on twitch, frequently dwarfing league tournaments so this is just wrong maybe...?

I am plenty aware of where CS:GO is on the ESports scale. There is no way that is the best thing the gaming industry can come up with. Big companies like blizzard need to try other directions and see what sticks.

edit: for the record I am not even slightly interested in how fast someone's reaction time is or how quickly they can move their reticle onto an exposed pixel.

headcase fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 13, 2017

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Kai Tave posted:

The thing about different rulesets for comp and casual modes is it would mean anyone trying to go from casual to comp mode would need to essentially relearn huge chunks of the game. I can't imagine what a casual Brood War would look like that would prepare someone for playing Brood War For Real. And conversely nobody who plays comp Brood War is going to want to play a less challenging version thereof.

I mentioned this earlier, but in my eyes the non-pro mode for BW is simply a few interface tweaks: auto-mining maybe w/ split waypoints on the town halls, maybe MBS. The game still plays exactly the same. Everything you learn in this mode directly applies to the pro mode. Jumping to pro only involves additional mechanical practice. I also think these changes are minor enough to not be balance breaking. Going full SC2 (i.e. smart casting, entire army on 1 hotkey, smarter AI/pathing e.g. balled up armies) would be though.

Even with those changes, it would still take lots of practice to play well, but IMO it brings the barrier to entry down to a level that is more acceptable to US gamers. Yeah, people that currently play BW competitively would probably stick with the pro mode, but BW's issue in the US is hardly anyone plays competitively because it's not a rewarding experience unless you dedicate a poo poo ton of time to it. IMO that's a huge reason why pro BW never really took off here. Probably too late to add something like this that now (though the discussion is somewhat relevant again with the Remastered release looming), but had it been available 10+ years ago I think it would've helped with pro scene popularity.

As someone that played BW very competitively as a teenager, I am still extremely hesitant to pickup BW again to get my RTS fix despite preferring it to SC2. My hands hurt and I'm sweating just thinking about it.

The Blue Caboose posted:

CSGO has this. Casual mode in CSGO has a vastly different ruleset from competitive mode (and there used to even be some minor tweaks between valve competitive and esports modes, most notably timers).

Casual mode is 10v10 instead of 5v5, kill rewards are decreased and body armor is automatically given for free. This means that you can jump in and use whatever gun you want whenever. This also means that no one plays casual CSGO.
See this sounds like a poor implementation of pro/non-pro modes. 10v10 instead of 5v5 alone basically makes it a different game. I was thinking of much smaller differences between modes. I'll admit it's not clear to me exactly what a pro mode for OW (or an FPS in general) would entail.

BW's issue it only has a pro mode, while IMO one of SC2's issues is it doesn't have a pro mode. Based on the complaints I see with Blizz toning down high skill ceiling abilities, I think OW may be heading toward a similar no pro mode fate that doesn't allow for dominant superstars to emerge.

The Blue Caboose posted:

The appeal of esports in some sense is that its so much easier to get a pick up game and follow the same rules that the pros do! Sure, pickup basketball plays by some different rules, but that's because of material limitations, i.e. your local basketball court probably doesn't have a referee hanging out.

Why would you play half court pickup basketball when you have a dude in a striped shirt and a full court right there? One of the biggest advantages of eSports is the very small barrier to entry to competitive play.
I'd actually say that a vast majority of OW players are playing the equivalent to pick-up games of OW. That's what QP and Comp modes are. The equivalent to organized sports (i.e. rec leagues if you're an adult) is joining a team and doing scrims/tournaments. In OW there's only really a scene for that at the upper levels, so at least in some respects there's sports where it's easier to get into organized play (i.e. you can do it as a beginner) than it is to get into organized OW. For team sports, the difference between organized and pickup play (in my experience) has a lot to do with having two teams that consistently play together face off against each other, not just adding refs/clocks. It allows you to dive much deeper into team strategy and tactics. E.g. playing organized flag football in college allowed for much more complicated defensive schemes and offensive plays than I'd seen in pickup games, which gave me a deeper understanding of and appreciation for the sport.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

The Blue Caboose posted:

They're running a tournament that they won't stop emailing me about. From the closed beta it's about what you would expect-- F2P rear end quake with kinda half-baked hero powers.

Also I don't know if they've changed this yet but the Railgun did 100 damage when zoomed but only 80 damage without zoom so gently caress that game.

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Quakelive nerfed Railgun damage down from 100 years ago because it was finally somehow decided as too dominant a weapon in the hands of really good players despite existing like that for over a decade. Incentivizing people to use zoom in Quake is a garbage move for sure though

Quake Champions isn't too bad now that they've fixed that embarrassing projectile lag. The early release optimization for variable latency is still awful, however. But it's free to try.

I swear every version of Quake after Quake 2 has consistently made the railgun feel worse :negative:
I miss grapple hook Railgun only Q2DM1 matches. Those were some of my first online FPS experiences. Using some server browser website from Yahoo to find live Q2 servers. :unsmith:

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

A big appeal for csgo is you can have crazy carry comeback plays where one person wipes a team which is only really possible with high damage and fast kills, which is the exact opposite direction that blizzard is going in. It's why people like watching league of legends but not heroes of the storm, in the former you get exciting dives and quick flashy kills, in the latter you get two teams trading blows for a bit until one gives up and walks away. As caboose said having a period of downtime for analysis and explanation built into the game is also necessary, which again doesn't happen when you have the never-ending stalemate.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kassoon posted:

A big appeal for csgo is you can have crazy carry comeback plays where one person wipes a team which is only really possible with high damage and fast kills, which is the exact opposite direction that blizzard is going in. It's why people like watching league of legends but not heroes of the storm, in the former you get exciting dives and quick flashy kills, in the latter you get two teams trading blows for a bit until one gives up and walks away. As caboose said having a period of downtime for analysis and explanation built into the game is also necessary, which again doesn't happen when you have the never-ending stalemate.

It still boggles my mind that LEAGUE OF LEGENDS of all games now occupies this space.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
it boggles my mind that people even watch other people play video games when they could just be playing the game themselves

im even more boggled that people would wake up and go to work and earn a small penance each day only to go home and donate it to some schmuck on twitch with their only prize being a passing thank you and shoutout while they play a video game

not that i dont totally envy the twitch schmuck who makes a living playing video games somehow

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Snazzy Frocks posted:

it boggles my mind that people even watch other people play video games when they could just be playing the game themselves

im even more boggled that people would wake up and go to work and earn a small penance each day only to go home and donate it to some schmuck on twitch with their only prize being a passing thank you and shoutout while they play a video game

not that i dont totally envy the twitch schmuck who makes a living playing video games somehow

For the same reason people watch professional sports. You could go out and play some football, but that takes time and effort you may not have. You'd certainly be hard pressed to get as good as the people you're watching.

also i don't think penance was the word you meant there

i think you mean pittance

unless you meant that playing ow is like a punishment in which case ok yes you're right

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

People have been spending countless hours doing nothing particularly active or productive and spending countless dollars entertaining themselves for longer than you have likely been alive. Game streams are no different. You realize there are people that seriously don't understand why someone older than a teenager would even touch a video game, let alone play one for more than a few minutes at a time right? It's really just a matter of perspective.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Snazzy Frocks posted:

yeah this joke has already been done

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Yeah I invite all my friends over for barbeque and we drink tons of booze while watching pro streamers in peak physical condition play videogames, don't you??? PogChamp

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

turtlecrunch posted:

Yeah I invite all my friends over for barbeque and we drink tons of booze while watching pro streamers in peak physical condition play videogames, don't you??? PogChamp

My buddies and I are doing this for EVO this weekend. We will probably also do it for Overwatch World Cup Top 8 at Blizzcon too. Dorky? Sure. We don't give a gently caress though, poo poo is fun to watch.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

My friends and I did it for Apex season 2 semi-finals and finals.

E: not the barbeque part because it was at about 3am, but the drinking beers and eating snacks part.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

I know you're trying to make that sound totally bizarre but actually I could totally do that. Streams are TVs that sometimes shout insults back at you.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The issue with competitive OW for me is that the pro level and the Bronze/Silver/Low Gold tier the vast majority of people play on is so different it may as well be a different game and it just creates a disconnect.

On the Stylosa coaching vids phrases like "Why are your team camping the spawn doors, don't they know that's suicide?", "Hmm a team with no tanks or healers, well this isn't good" and "Your team needs to hold the high ground, why are they just running round?" gets said. It gets said with such incredulity like everyone knows this but it happens all the time and no one seems to learn.

On something like CS:GO on a simple level if your aim is good and you know the maps you can be productive, on OW you can be the best nailed on solder ever seen but if no one actually gets on the point then you'll never win. Even a bunch of kids kicking a soccer ball around work somewhat as a team, they can emulate the pros by passing the ball and talking to each other, this just doesn't happen for the majority of OW players.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

people buy tickets and travel to attend big esports lans so idk why the concept of getting together to watch one at home is so strange

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
ok but what about twitch stardom and the insane amounts people donated to be noticed by senpai

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

blizzard is trying to meld esports and traditional sports in a very weird way that i can't quite wrap my head around, and i really don't think will succeed, but waypoint has an article up about it: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/9kwne3/overwatch-league-is-about-giving-blizzard-control-but-may-hurt-the-game

Snazzy Frocks posted:

ok but what about twitch stardom and the insane amounts people donated to be noticed by senpai

this is mostly lonely people with lots of disposable income looking for instant-gratification attention.

Kassoon
Nov 16, 2005

Those are usually kids that were just going to blow their allowance on candy and jacks anyway

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I'm happy enough to throw bits at some video game playing people and use my twitch prime free sub thing. I even donate game codes lying around for small tournament prizes to some. I like to support channels because I like things and want people taking time out of their life to do things to get paid for things but don't like much attention drawn to myself. What kind of hosed up creature am i?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Eh it's like tossing a street performer or musician a couple bucks when you pass them. It's no big deal and it's how they make or supplement a living.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Not really that different than sports/music uberfans that buy VIP tickets to meet the players/musicians, just twitch fans can spend far less money doing so and more of it goes to the performer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Why do you care about what people do with their money?

[edit]

Kerrrrrrr posted:

blizzard is trying to meld esports and traditional sports in a very weird way that i can't quite wrap my head around, and i really don't think will succeed, but waypoint has an article up about it: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/9kwne3/overwatch-league-is-about-giving-blizzard-control-but-may-hurt-the-game

Blizzard's approach is an unproven model in esports, so yeah, the OWL is a huge risk. I don't see what's hard to understand about the concept of the league though.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 14, 2017

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

AceClown posted:

The issue with competitive OW for me is that the pro level and the Bronze/Silver/Low Gold tier the vast majority of people play on is so different it may as well be a different game and it just creates a disconnect.

On the Stylosa coaching vids phrases like "Why are your team camping the spawn doors, don't they know that's suicide?", "Hmm a team with no tanks or healers, well this isn't good" and "Your team needs to hold the high ground, why are they just running round?" gets said. It gets said with such incredulity like everyone knows this but it happens all the time and no one seems to learn.

On something like CS:GO on a simple level if your aim is good and you know the maps you can be productive, on OW you can be the best nailed on solder ever seen but if no one actually gets on the point then you'll never win. Even a bunch of kids kicking a soccer ball around work somewhat as a team, they can emulate the pros by passing the ball and talking to each other, this just doesn't happen for the majority of OW players.

People playing high level Overwatch aren't freaky super-mutants playing a vastly different game. If anything the gulf between low level play and high level play is narrower than in other games...there are no animation cancels, no technically demanding combos, no high level movement techniques to separate, say, someone extremely proficient at rocket jumping from someone who simply can't do so, etc. The difference between high level play and lower level play largely just comes down to raw aim skill and gamesense, and even for those players whose aim skill is likely to peak sooner there are characters for whom aim can be substituted with gamesense and positioning (like Winston).

High level players aren't playing a radically different game, they're playing the same game as everyone else, they just do it better.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I'll never respect esports the way I respect hockey or lacrosse or any other sport, but I understand both the appeal and the potential for growth in them

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I mean there are massive amounts of sports elitism within the traditional sport world itself. Sports fans don't even respect all sports equally. It's stupid at all levels. It's loving sports. It's all a game at the end of the day done for entertainment.

Everyone is constantly looking for some arbitrary reason to elevate themselves over others and it is pretty ridiculous when people choose to do it over their choice of entertainment.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I remember when an X-Games medalist in skiing said pro gamers don't deserve recognition for their achievements because they sit on a couch and the internet dumpstered her.
https://twitter.com/Clayster/status/693886474027012096

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the big difference between a physical sport and an esport is that it's culturally acceptable to take the former seriously but not the latter. football and dota are both still things kids play casually for fun

I don't think the term esport has done them any favors in that regard tbh. it sounds really insecure and it's easy to make it seem condescending

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

It's because people see it as "esports = video games = kid poo poo = waste of time" which makes it easy to dismiss. Understandable, but we're heading into a generation where gamers are adults now, and are fostering a generation of new gamers.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

the big difference between a physical sport and an esport is that it's culturally acceptable to take the former seriously but not the latter. football and dota are both still things kids play casually for fun

I don't think the term esport has done them any favors in that regard tbh. it sounds really insecure and it's easy to make it seem condescending

Esport as a term is basically self-deprecating. Like it was a concession so the cool kids wouldn't stuff them in the lockers.

Also, keep in mind we live in a world where it is ok to be a professional dart player or card player (but only certain types of cards you see) but not video games. ESPN showing darts and cards for years? Ok. ESPN showing Street Fighter? People were losing their poo poo over it last year.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 14, 2017

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Would it have been better if "Pro Gaming" caught on instead of "E-Sports"? I honestly don't think it would make a difference.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

teagone posted:

Would it have been better if "Pro Gaming" caught on instead of "E-Sports"? I honestly don't think it would make a difference.

I think it would have diffused the "HURR DURR NOT A SPORT" argument, but it would just open the door to "lol "PROFESSIONAL"" jabs instead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I doubt it. if they want it to be treated as a sport, they should have just called it a sport

like poker is a sport so why not csgo or w/e

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Manatee Cannon posted:

I doubt it. if they want it to be treated as a sport, they should have just called it a sport

like poker is a sport so why not csgo or w/e

I think most people would never call poker a sport, and have no idea that anyone else considers poker a sport

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

IronicDongz posted:

I think most people would never call poker a sport, and have no idea that anyone else considers poker a sport

Curling, then.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

What about pro chess players, or spelling? Spelling Bees are aired on ESPN, right?

[edit] Speaking of E S P O R T S, reminder that the first Overwatch World Cup group stage matches in Shanghai are scheduled to start at 11 PDT tonight https://www.twitch.tv/playoverwatch

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 14, 2017

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

teagone posted:

I remember when an X-Games medalist in skiing said pro gamers don't deserve recognition for their achievements because they sit on a couch and the internet dumpstered her.
https://twitter.com/Clayster/status/693886474027012096

She was right

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Blue Caboose posted:

There's lots of back and forth in CS, just maybe not on the single 1v1 engagement level. The engagements happen quickly, but there is a lot of strategy in the set up and an established meta layer. You get set plays (check out Luminosity's (or whoever their sponsor was, the Brazilian team that is now SK) smoke take on Mirage A circa like... early 2016?). Sometimes you see real personal brilliance (1v5 clutch aces happen). But the tempo of CS:GO leaves time to breath. Each round unfolds with a relatively predictable tempo--

1. Start of round, defense sets up, early smokes stall the round. Offense probes and begins to set up for a take. Small skirmishes occur.
2. Offense engages. Maybe they have a specific set play in mind or they're capitalizing on a percieved weakness in the enemy defense. This is the first teamfight style action.
3. Defenders rotate, either coming in during the fight or attempting to retake the bombsite.
4. Round ends, there is about 20-30 seconds of downtime for analysis and replays, frequently done from perspective of players that weren't shown during the round.

Overwatch sees some of this tempo, but there is no clear delineation and teamfights are frequently very frantic all or nothing affairs that can last quite a while.

There's also a lot of reacting and recovering in the metagame elements to CS. The economy is designed to punish losers while still allowing a catch-up mechanic, the loss bonus builds on continuous losses. A good analyst will walk you through this meta.

It's also really obvious when a player has a stellar individual moment. Getting 3 or 4 kills in a round is prominently displayed in the UI and is typically pointed out and praised by the commentary. Having background in shooters also allows even unfamiliar players to recognize the inherent skill when KennyS hits 2 sick flickshots in a row.

CSGO hits some of the same notes as something like poker, where there's a lot of tension that builds as more people get eliminated.

Overwatch is idk something more like hockey or football where you've got the ability to zoom in on individual performance like a killer goalie or a play-busting defense tackle but it allows you to also appreciate the big team plays too. The tension gets going near the end but it isn't the slow burn culminating in 3 shots to the head and a last second defuse of CSGO, it's the 40-yard scramble full of laterals in garbage time at the end of the game to claw a win out of thin air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The most exciting moments in Overwatch occur when you have long-running overtime on a non 2CP map. There was a pro game a few months back on Gibraltar where both teams pushed it all the way to the end so it went to tiebreaker, and the first team up had so little time in the bank that they would essentially be in overtime before they reached the first checkpoint, so everyone figured that it was gonna be a matter of "how far can they get before they get wiped" only they didn't get wiped, they actually successfully pushed the payload in perpetual overtime all the way to the very end of the map, then successfully wiped the other team when sides switched and wound up winning the match.

It was exciting because it was one of those things where a single mistake meant the whole thing was over and you kept waiting for it to happen but it somehow never came. Overtime can suck a lot when it's the Zapp Brannigan defense on a 2CP map stretching into infinity, but every now and then you get a game like that where it's actually worth it.