Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Strap and straplocks arrived and fitted:

Also this thing arrived, still a bit of an experiment but hopefully it'll do what I need:

I've also restocked on leads and poo poo, nothing to shout about, pancake pedal board leads, a bunch of capos and plecrtrums and I always use Fender Tweed guitar cables because it's rare other people do and that stops my leads getting 'borrowed' at gigs :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Oh word? Wappinger's Falls is surprisingly close to me, too.

Nice. HV represent

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

peter gabriel posted:

Strap and straplocks arrived and fitted:

why did you put the strap on backwards

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Schpyder posted:

why did you put the strap on backwards

Oh I dunno, I just fitted the strap locks there and just whacked it on for a photo. Brain fart I guess :v:

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
You can admit it, I did it that way for years.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
Are you missing an IC? I see an empty socket in there

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
^^^ LOL at the timing.

Tad Naff posted:

You can admit it, I did it that way for years.
No way, dude. THAT'S a trap! :cmon:

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 13, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

JohnnySmitch posted:

Are you missing an IC? I see an empty socket in there

Naw that's for if you are using a single op-amp chip or a dual op-amp chip for the third gain stage. I'm "wasting" a dual op-amp (it only uses one of the amps) on the ic3 socket because when I was testing with different op-amps that's what sounded the coolest. It explicitly says with the instructions for this PCB (Corvus from Aion) don't use all three sockets at once. The first IC socket (dual op-amp for the first two gain stages) is more for ease of repair since it will always be a 4558 unless someday I change my mind.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jul 13, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dr. Faustus posted:

^^^ LOL at the timing.

No way, dude. THAT'S a trap! :cmon:

:v: I protest innocence!!!!

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
Decided it was time to upgrade. Everything.

Mesa Mark Five 35
Mesa 2x12 Recto Cab
Ibanez Prestige RG652LWF in Anvil Gray

Closeup of the guitar:

Upgraded from an Indonesian Jackson and a Fender Mustang III. Yeps. It loving rips.

Bazanga fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 13, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bazanga posted:

Mesa 5:35
Mesa 2x12 Recto

Closeup of the guitar:

Upgraded from an Indonesian Jackson and a Fender Mustang III. Yeps.
Put it there, Mesa Buddy! :hfive:

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
The tone is just terrifying, even at lower volumes. Love it, but I can definitely see the "too complex" arguments. I can just spend hours and hours dialing in the right tone.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Bazanga posted:

Mesa Mark Five 35
Mesa 2x12 Recto Cab

Closeup of the guitar:

Upgraded from an Indonesian Jackson and a Fender Mustang III. Yeps. It loving rips.

This is extremely my poo poo

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Bazanga posted:

Mesa Mark Five 35
Mesa 2x12 Recto Cab

Closeup of the guitar:

loving hell!!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bazanga posted:

Mesa Mark Five 35
Mesa 2x12 Recto Cab

Closeup of the guitar:

This is like the literal metal trio of perfection. Nice dude.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bazanga posted:

The tone is just terrifying, even at lower volumes. Love it, but I can definitely see the "too complex" arguments. I can just spend hours and hours dialing in the right tone.
That's a general problem with almost all Mesa Boogie amps unless it's something like the Single Rectifier or the Recto-Verb.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Mesa mark amps get a lot simpler once you realize a few things.

1. The Treb/Mid/Bass knobs are wired BEFORE the preamp gain. Think of them like EQ controls that only affect your guitar's pickups.
Realizing this, for best high gain results, set:
Bass to about 2 at most. Not 2 o'clock, but 2 as in 2/10. This control is sensitive and any higher will overwhelm the preamp and just fart out everywhere.
Mids usually anywhere under noon. Mesa knows Mark amps sound best with the mid knob set low. They even gave the mid knob a taper of like log10, which means when the knob is set at noon, the pot is actually at only 10% output. Mesa did this to encourage people to keep the incoming mids low.
Treble cranked. 7-10. The treble knob here is tuned so that it occupies most of the mid to high guitar freqnencies. It's not a traditional treble knob. Think of it as another gain knob as it actually increases the overall signal level that will be sent to the tubes.

2. The graphic EQ does what most treble/mid/bass controls do for most amps. It actually shapes the EQ after distortion.
3. Mesa Mark amps are the most mid-heavy amps on the market. Scooping the hell out of the mids on the graphic EQ is basically the same thing as bringing the general EQ curve to parity with most other neutrally set guitar amps.

So basically, here's the signal path:

Guitar --> Treb/Mid/Bass EQ knobs --> Preamp Gain --> Graphic EQ --> Effects Loop --> Power Tubes

Have fun and go nuts!

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 13, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the presence also acts as a treble/pseudo-gain knob that works in conjunction with the treble/2nd gain so basically dialing in a sound is going back and forth between the actual gain and eq knobs until you find the right spot e.g. lower the gain and you can bump up the other ones a little

also, actually read their overly verbose manual because they explain in pretty good detail why the knobs should be set where they are

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
drat dudes, thanks for the tips. That bass and mid tip alone solved a lot of the weirdness I was experiencing.

I have a jam session tomorrow and I'm probably going to be pulling an all nighter to dial in something appropriately face melting.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Bazanga posted:

Mesa Mark Five 35
Mesa 2x12 Recto Cab

Closeup of the guitar:

HELL FUCKIN YEAH

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

mesa wisdom

Wish I knew this when I had my Mk III. Never did get along with it.

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
fuzzhugger Algal Bloom & Blend (just adds a knob to mix clean into the signal) great fuzz pedal and beautiful looking too. I ordered in December and it said 8-10 weeks. Bugged him a few times and he finally shipped it...

And a Mu-tron wah/volume. Always wanted a Mu-Tron pedal, and realized I needed a wah (and volume is nice too) got a good deal since he said it was broken. Taping the cord off to the left fixes the broken connection. I'll get it fixed at some point.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Just finished my latest pedal build:

It's a smallsound/bigsound Mini clone. So far I love it - can't wait to really open it up next band practice.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

JohnnySmitch posted:

It's a smallsound/bigsound Mini clone. So far I love it - can't wait to really open it up next band practice.

loving rules. Did you use J201s at all?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

JohnnySmitch posted:

Yeah this is awesome.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

JohnnySmitch posted:

That owns hard.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Speaking of pedal poo poo and owning, some guy just posted that he cncs his own PCBs for guitar pedals using a cheap machine he bought from aliexpress.com lol:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Speaking of pedal poo poo and owning, some guy just posted that he cncs his own PCBs for guitar pedals using a cheap machine he bought from aliexpress.com lol:

No dick-shaped traces, 0/10

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Ran a jar of change through the CoinStar today and came up with about $180. Half an hour later, that turned into this:

Boss Katana 50.
It's a pretty sweet little practice amp for an office/spare room, which is where it now resides on the floor for now, but will eventually be put on top of something. It sounds great, the built in effects are what you'd expect from Boss, and it's simple to operate.
The boost pedals I programmed in are Distortion (DS1,) Metal Zone (MT2,) and "Muff Fuzz" (EHX Big Muff clone.)
The amp types sound great on their own, specifically the "Brown" channel.
Pretty stoked! It's a tremendous deal at $200.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

loving rules. Did you use J201s at all?

Yessir I did - 2 of 'em. Got them from smallbear, since I have no confidence whatsoever in the Ebay/China ones

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

JohnnySmitch posted:

Yessir I did - 2 of 'em. Got them from smallbear, since I have no confidence whatsoever in the Ebay/China ones

Yea that's where I keep looking and they are always out. I trust them.

In other news I got a new preamp for recording doom metal "silently:"

It sounds pretty loving good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Silent doom is a fantasy of mine. I hope you enjoy that beast.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I did something much crazier than buying that MIM Fender Deluxe that the fine folks in the Guitar Megathread thought was overpriced. Instead, I bought one of these:

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/stratocaster/american-elite-stratocaster/product-011400.html (select the "3-color sunburst" button to see the exact finish and mouse-over and stuff.)

I didn't pay nearly what that list price/street price is, I found one (of a few) on eBay.

I'm gonna check it out and give it 45 days to wow me. Otherwise I'll return it.

Some features that I really like about it:
#1 - Compound radius neck has amazing specs: 9.5" radius and C-shaped at the nut, and 14" radius and modern D-shaped at the top, with a newly re-contoured cutaway heel joint.
#2 - "Short Post" locking tuners. I just got my first locking tuners on my MIM Tele and I like them a lot.
So-so about :
Fender's brand new V4 Noiseless pickups with the (complicated) S1 switching system, which can be safely ignored but I think there are likely some cool combinations in there.
Fender's newest two-pivot trem.
"Select" Alder body in three-color burst. I suppose it's "select" because the guitar is expensive as hell. I'll give it a very thorough examination. For this kind of money (not quite what I paid for my JEM7VSFG) I am forgiving nothing except maybe the pickups. I'm super-picky about pickups and this is to be my one-and-only legit Fender Strat, so if they're ok for now that's good enough because I never keep stock pickups anyway.

Well, the rest of the specs are on the Fender page I linked. Here are some pics I stole from an online retailer.

About pickups: I have a buddy who went Strat-crazy a few years ago and now he's got several, all with different pickups from Lollars to Fralins to aftermarket Fenders and Seymour Duncans. I can't even remember all the pickups, but he's got two Blackmore Strats (one MIJ, and I think the other is MIM, they have different pickups), a couple home-built Strat-styles, one with the usual active EMG pickups from back in the day, a Hendrix model, and maybe another I'm forgetting. I'm gonna play all of his (passive) pickup setups and let that help me figure out what should go in this guitar.

I should note, not for the first time, that I've wanted a Sunburst Strat since before I picked up a guitar or owned one. It's that thing where you ask, "What does an electric guitar look like?" and in my mind I see a two-tone sunburst strat with a rosewood fretboard.)
When I started playing I was all hot for Charvel/Jackson/Kramer but Ibanez came along and turned things around with these flat necks and deep cutaways and wild trems and stuff, so I'm old and I've been yearning for a Strat for so long, but I never liked playing them and ended up building my own H/S/S hard-tail, with no paint on it.

I'm crossing all of my digits. I want this guitar to knock my pants off. For the price, it had better!

The goal is I want this guitar to be a modern-player that I can use for authentic blues and blues-rock. Nothing too heavy. It's my first legit Fender Strat, and I want to find just the right set of S/S/S to make it perfect. I want it to be my dream Strat. No pressure.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Faustus posted:

"Select" Alder body in three-color burst. I suppose it's "select" because the guitar is expensive as hell.

pretty sure that just means it's glued together from 2 or 3 pieces of stock instead of the usual 5-7 strips used for bodies that get a solid color

Dr. Faustus posted:

About pickups: I have a buddy who went Strat-crazy a few years ago and now he's got several, all with different pickups from Lollars to Fralins to aftermarket Fenders and Seymour Duncans. I can't even remember all the pickups, but he's got two Blackmore Strats (one MIJ, and I think the other is MIM, they have different pickups), a couple home-built Strat-styles, one with the usual active EMG pickups from back in the day, a Hendrix model, and maybe another I'm forgetting. I'm gonna play all of his (passive) pickup setups and let that help me figure out what should go in this guitar.

bareknuckle sinners :twisted:

seriously though they have a pretty decent range of single coil sets. might as well get some while the pound still trades ridiculously low against the dollar

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dr. Faustus posted:

Fender Elite Strat

I have a skyburst Elite. I like the pickups in it, but then I don't tend to buy guitars and swap the pickups out. I usually aim for guitars where I like what's in there already. They're chimey and I like the noiseless feature. I did take it into a shop for a setup, and they told me it doesn't sound like a "real Strat". I asked them to explain, as I'm not a Strat guy really, and they showed me a more conventional Strat. Sounded more rattly, springy, and I agreed afterwards that mine sounds sort of more refined and less bold. Smoother somehow. I like that; you maybe won't. I doubt I'll ever get a more conventional Strat myself, though.

It's my second S-1 guitar, and I can say I don't really use the S-1 switching much. It strikes me as the same as coil taps: it gets you closer to the other kind of pickup (single coil, humbucker), but doesn't sound nearly as good as the real thing. If I pick up a Strat it's because I want single coil sounds, otherwise I have many more humbucker options. It's ignorable as you say, though, and doesn't hurt anything.

I don't have much of an opinion on neck shapes and things, but I went in looking for a mystic sunburst Strat just to see the finish, not to buy, and wound up walking out with the skyburst, because it felt and sounded really nice, and I fell in love with the finish.

tldr: pretty, chimey guitar is nice

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Gettin' there:

Got a couple custom decals from a couple guys. Neither is perfect, but I'll pick one to use. Here's the first one:

A little oversized and non metallic ink, but it looks all right. I just received the second one, which is a hair UNDERsized, but it has metallic ink and looks pretty decent, too.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

The saddles on that tele bridge look tiny. I'd swap them out for some compensated brass ones, myself.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.
Bought an SM57.

If you're gonna mic, may as well stick with the classics.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Lot of Fenders around here lately. And speaking of...

Sorry for the potato pic

After playing guitar for over two thirds of my life, last week I bought my first Telecaster! I have to say I'm surprised to find I really love the thing. I play mostly rock/metal/bluesy whatever so I've never really gravitated towards teles, but I happened upon this one the other week at a music store and picked it up by chance to just to plink around on something, and basically fell in love with it after about 2 minutes. It just grabbed me in a way most other guitars don't. Didn't hurt that it looks exactly like what "the" telecaster looks like in my mind, either.

It's funny, I'd describe the guitar as "weirdly versatile" in that it only has 3 different sounds, but each covers an entirely different sonic territory while at the same time all three sounds are very uniquely, specifically telecaster. None of my other guitars sound like this.

Neck - round and neck-pickup-y but trebly and touch sensitive at the same time. Both sharp and smooth. Think of a strat neck pickup with less springy jangle, with more cut and body. It's very clear and bold. Easily the biggest pleasant surprise of the guitar for me.
Middle - telecaster funk sound. Very similar character to a strat's 2nd and 4th switch positions as one might expect, but it's a bit "broader" sounding which makes sense as the pickups selected are bridge+neck, as opposed to the strat's neck+mid or mid+bridge configurations.
Bridge - we all know most people play telecasters for the bridge pickup. There's a twang and attitude here you don't get with other types of guitars. Even if you're only playing bar chords, there's still a kind of honest, exposed sort of attitude that comes through, even under heavy distortion. It's a very American kind of sound. Also, as a bonus, when you're playing single notes it's almost impossible not to sound country, which of course means that if wanky idiot shredding is a guilty pleasure of yours *ahem*, you can play as fast and with as many notes as you like and solos will sound like fun, good-spirited chicken picking instead of masturbatory zillion-note serious-faced hey look at me shred fests.

I've wanted a telecaster for a while now, but only really as an element of some "one good example of every 'major' type of guitar" future imaginary collection. But after playing one, I had no idea I'd like it this much or that it would be so different from everything else I own. I should have bought one years ago. Turns out Telecasters can be seriously fun.

edit: and yeah I know the control panel on this one is backwards. Not sure why but this particular model comes that way. I'm going to mod it back to "standard" as soon as I can.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I had the same experience (mostly). I wasn't sure if I could deal with a Tele so I bought a Talman, and I had so much fun with it, it was almost the only guitar I picked up to noodle on for the better part of a year. Then I bought my Tele.

The reverse control plate originated with country players who like to be able to roll their volume and tone knobs with their pinky-fingers for volume swells/wah effects (if you have the tone control modded like mine.) Flipping the plate puts the knobs closer to your picking-hand.
I'm at work so I'll just refer you to Google: look for any videos about "Telecaster Tone Control Wah Mod" and "Telecaster Control Plate Swap" and you'll see/hear what I mean.

I swapped my MIM Tele plate and switched the knobs on my Talman for this purpose. It's fun, if a little hard to get used to (on the Talman, with its weird hybrid control layout.)

(I can't wait to re-take this picture with my new Strat in there.)

The Muppets On PCP posted:

pretty sure that just means it's glued together from 2 or 3 pieces of stock instead of the usual 5-7 strips used for bodies that get a solid color
Quit harshing my buzz, bro!