Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

lelandjs posted:

For once I can't really see any really egregious noms or snubs.

Barb from Stranger Things was nominated. An instant contender for most insane Emmy nom of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's amazing and I fully back that nomination.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

less laughter posted:

Barb from Stranger Things was nominated. An instant contender for most insane Emmy nom of all time.

Barb is going to win and beat Ann Dowd in the process. Book it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mu Zeta posted:

Spielberg/Hanks are trying again with The Mighty Eighth about WW2 bombers. They learned their lesson and the show will be about one group of people only.

Why not straight up do a Battle of Britain show instead.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Bullshit that Bates Motel did not get any noms

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
At the bare minimum Freddy Highmore should have got a Best Actor nom because he loving murdered in the last season. Pun absolutely intended.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I am really confused about Bates Motel still getting nothing. Vera got nominated once, but has it gotten any since then? I had foolishly assumed they would at least acknowledge it, being the final season and all.

Chaffed about The Americans, too.

Very happy about RuPaul's Drag Race.

e: I suppose this is maybe the true price we pay for Bates Motel being an A&E show?

esperterra fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 14, 2017

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

House of Cards is really bad now and somehow got nominated over a lot of really good shows.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

sbaldrick posted:

Why not straight up do a Battle of Britain show instead.

Were Americans involved with that? The 8th squadron are Americans.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They tried with to top it with The Pacific.

They failed :negative:
It was cool seeing that the kid from Jurassic Park was still acting after Jurassic Park

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone know where you can find From Earth to the Moon online? It was an HBO show but not on HBO Go. Seems like the only way to watch is to buy the DVDs.

Also is there a better space series/docuseries available about the space race?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was also a real breakout role for Rami Malek. He played Snafu, the hosed up guy who served with Sledge.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Niwrad posted:

Does anyone know where you can find From Earth to the Moon online? It was an HBO show but not on HBO Go. Seems like the only way to watch is to buy the DVDs.

Also is there a better space series/docuseries available about the space race?

I don't know if there's a better one, but it's really good. I have the widescreen DVDs and I've watched it several times all the way through. It's one of my favorite things HBO has ever done and it's forgotten by most people, including HBO it seems.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

X-O posted:

I don't know if there's a better one, but it's really good. I have the widescreen DVDs and I've watched it several times all the way through. It's one of my favorite things HBO has ever done and it's forgotten by most people, including HBO it seems.

Yeah I watched it many years ago and loved it. Nothing has come close. Noticed HBO is selling the DVD set for $25 which is probably what I'll do (I hate DVDs) but I don't get why it's not streaming.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Earth to the Moon is the whitest show I've ever seen, more than Girls. Also literally all the women in the show are nothing characters. The entirety of their arc is worryingly watching TV news and then cooking in the kitchen or backyard barbecues. The astronauts are rockstar gods with no other nuance.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

It was cool seeing that the kid from Jurassic Park was still acting after Jurassic Park

I still can't get over the fact that the weird "six foot turkey" kid from Jurassic Park is a big theater dude and character actor now.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

He was also in Justified as a snake handling minister

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. I've watched Justified twice and never made that connection.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Guy Mann posted:

I still can't get over the fact that the weird "six foot turkey" kid from Jurassic Park is a big theater dude and character actor now.

"Well, I topped out at 5'2", I've got a distinctive look and connections in the entertainment industry...how should I put all of these things together..."

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Welp, I'm out for watching Mist. Not because it's boring, or bad cgi, but because a little kid dies and I just said goodbye to my kids for the weekend. I'm getting soft.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That caught me by surprise, although it probably shouldn't have since both previous versions of the Mist were super dark.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

STAC Goat posted:

That caught me by surprise, although it probably shouldn't have since both previous versions of the Mist were super dark.

You're right, I should have known better. Just super bummed out now. poo poo I probably couldn't watch the movie now.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
I had no idea that anyone thought Bates Motel was good

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

try the new taco place posted:

I had no idea that anyone thought Bates Motel was good

How much did you watch?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Grem posted:

You're right, I should have known better. Just super bummed out now. poo poo I probably couldn't watch the movie now.

Yes, you definitely shouldn't if the show bothered you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Just started s2 if Wynonna Earp... "How do you like mah moustache now?"

Waverly continues to be the best character.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us is back for another season and it had a solid first episode. The trailer focused on large prop tricks so I was worried it had turned into Masters of Illusion but they seem to still have the more intimate, smaller (but not simpler) tricks and after another season or two Alyson Hannigan might actually look comfortable on stage. The four acts tonight were an absolute joy to watch, including one guy with so much charisma and skill I don't think they wanted to figure it out.

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???

bobkatt013 posted:

How much did you watch?

It sounded like a bad idea 6 years ago and then I heard Rihanna was playing the big Psycho part recently, but then I watched every other show. And now people are saying it deserves legacy Emmys right next to The Leftovers 🤔

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It sounded like a bad idea 6 years ago and then I heard Rihanna was playing the big Psycho part recently, but then I watched every other show. And now people are saying it deserves legacy Emmys right next to The Leftovers 🤔

Rihanna was barely on the show, and did pretty well with the part.

The show itself doesn't deserve to win any Emmys. The first couple of seasons suffered from spreading itself too thin trying to build a show beyond the source material and often failing to make it compelling. Like pretty much every show, once it got a firm end date that they were able to build to the show got exponentially better and by the end was very good by pretty much any TV standard.

The performances by Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore, however, were excellent from the start and only got better as the show went along. Either of them would have been deserving winners in pretty much any season, honestly.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ShakeZula posted:

The performances by Vera Farmiga and Freddie Highmore, however, were excellent from the start and only got better as the show went along. Either of them would have been deserving winners in pretty much any season, honestly.

This T is piping hot.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Several Goblins posted:

So I've literally typed up a list of everyone's recommendations and weeded out the (very small) list of stuff that I already know I don't dig. The vast majority are on my backlog list and I'll start going through them. So far...

Started watching BoJack Horseman last night and I'm 5 episodes in. Took me about half the first episode before it clicked. It's pitch black and the voice cast is stellar; I'm liking it. I also started The Blacklist at my girlfriend's recommendation and, despite Raymond Reddington being borderline supernatural at times, I really like it. It's fun and silly/compelling enough to make me want to binge watch it. Also going to be starting The Sopranos on my own time with some Wynonna Earp mixed in for shorter, lighter fair. I'm probably going to keep to watching a heavy hitter to completion while watching something lighter mixed in, and add in a third show to watch with the lady.

I forgot that I've seen most of The Killing. :magical:

watch Hannibal

all of you watch Hannibal. Even if you've watched it before, watch Hannibal again.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

^^^^

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Hannibal rules.

I never in a million years expected that when I found out there was a Hannibal show, that the show's portrayal of Hannibal Lector would become my personal definitive version of the character.

And yet, here we are.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
The Frank Darabont/Walking Dead emails might not be professional, but they're hilarious.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

You should, like, actually watch the show. It was easily one of the most hosed up television series I've ever watched (outside of Hannibal and a couple others), and yeah, like ShakeZula said, Freddie Highmore's performance (and, to a lesser extent, Vera Farmiga's too) in that show is legendary.

The show deserves way more praise than it seemed to get.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Snak posted:

Yeah, Hannibal rules.

I never in a million years expected that when I found out there was a Hannibal show, that the show's portrayal of Hannibal Lector would become my personal definitive version of the character.

And yet, here we are.

Hopkins version is a clown in comparison which is pretty amazing.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Inspector 34 posted:

I think if The Mist had a different tone I would actually like it. It's just so serious most of the time that the ridiculous dialog and writing make me cringe. Then out of nowhere a guy turns into a moth.

If it was more of the fun monster stuff instead of rapey jock forcing a girl to hold his hand to prove he didn't rape her then I think it would be much better. The fucker actually says "Just do it and I'll let you go."

I don't really mean to keep going on about this show, but to call it really well done is pretty crazy to me. I can get liking the show, I like plenty of bad shows. But I don't go around telling people they're good shows.

I said it was very well made, and it is. Draw your own conclusions on how worthy of praise it is. It's entertaining as gently caress and solid B+ grade horror tv.

It's a loving masterpiece as far as SpikeTV is concerned.

DC Murderverse posted:

watch Hannibal

all of you watch Hannibal. Even if you've watched it before, watch Hannibal again.

I'm gay for Hannibal's suits.

Wish i had that kinda of swish,

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 14, 2017

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Just watched Salvation

quote:

An MIT grad student and a tech superstar bring a low-level Pentagon official a staggering discovery--that an asteroid is just six months away from colliding with Earth.

Not sure if I'll keep watching. The premise seems okay but I think it's going to have the trappings of a normal CBS drama that will make me angry. They're "bad guy element" seems kind of dumb but I guess obvious.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Hopkins version is a clown in comparison which is pretty amazing.

HEY MAN THAT'S A NICE CHIANTI

FOR A CLOWN TO DRINK

AT THE CIRCUS

IDIOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hopkins version was a cartoon even compared to the Manhunter version. In Manhunter he's not only smart but an arrogant rear end in a top hat. By the time we see Ridley Scott's 2001 movie Hannibal is a god drat superhero killing bad guys and corrupt cops.

• Locked thread