Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

AnonSpore posted:

What ever happened to that oven the Anova guys were teasing?

I won't lie, I didn't understand what an immersion circulator is or what it did before I found out... but it made sense once I knew.

I can't wrap my head around what this oven does special... or if it's just like " this oven is really accurate unlike old oven technology!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So... any good deals on All-Clad pans for Prime Day?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So... any good deals on All-Clad pans for Prime Day?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Z...t2AL&ref=plSrch

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

obi_ant posted:

Please pardon my ignorance, I recently moved so I'm doing a bit of research to see what type of kitchen equipment I need. I'm looking at frying pans / skillets at the moment and I can't really tell if a cast iron skillet can be used to "replace" a regular stainless steel one. From that the research I've been doing, it would be advantageous for me to get a frying pan that can go from the stove top to the oven if needed. Which led me to look at cast iron. I know that cast iron requires more maintenance when compared to their stainless counterparts. So, for the frying pan and deeper skillet, would it make sense for me to go strictly cast iron?

When I had cast iron I'd reach for the stainless every time because I can use acids liberally, the pan was much lighter, and the handles way more comfortable to hold. I'd not be quick to write off a regular pan.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hot drat. Looks like the 10-piece is on sale too. Shame the 14-piece isn't though.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Feenix posted:

I won't lie, I didn't understand what an immersion circulator is or what it did before I found out... but it made sense once I knew.

I can't wrap my head around what this oven does special... or if it's just like " this oven is really accurate unlike old oven technology!"

It's like a home version of a Rational or Alto-Sham.

e: But its really small, so I'm not really sure how useful it would be? Looks like a toaster oven.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jul 11, 2017

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Hot drat. Looks like the 10-piece is on sale too. Shame the 14-piece isn't though.

The 14 piece set shows up for me as Prime Day 40% off. There's another seller though, so make sure you add to cart from Amazon. If you go to the deal from the Gold Box/Prime Day page it should show all 3 sets.

If you're open to other clad cookware the Cuisinart Multiclad Pro set is on sale too. 20% off at checkout. https://smile.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP-12N-Multiclad-Stainless-12-Piece/dp/B009JXPS6U .

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I've always seen Cuisinart as a cheap brand. Are they any good? Most of the small appliances that I've purchased by them are usually junk within a year or two.

In terms of knives, should I stick with what the OP posted or... this or this

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
50 bucks ain't bad, and someone recommended a Tri-Ply SS pan from Tramontina. Are there any deals on 10+ inch that are less than that? I realize getting too much less expensive can result in lack of quality...

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

$300 dollars off is pretty interesting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Prime Day kitchen deals:

The 40% and 50% off All-Clads, as noted above:
https://www.amazon.com/All-Clad-Pro..._s_a_1_5&sr=8-5

Instant Pot 8qt, $89.99, usually $130
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Pressure/dp/B01B1VC13K/

Anova Precision Cooker Bluetooth, $150 regular price, $100 at checkout
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UKPBXM4/ref=twister_B01BTNRUWW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Blend Tec blenders are 40% off today

https://www.amazon.com/Blendtec-Total-Blender-Classic-FourSide/dp/B000GIGZXM/

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I came in here to post this. Mrs. Squashy has been doing more and more of her professional cooking on these. We needed another one for the house because she took the other two in to work!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Vitamix 5200 on sale for 20% off.

https://www.amazon.com/Vitamix-0013...=p_89%3AVitamix

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Finally pulled the trigger on an instant pot. Thanks, thread.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm crying because these are some great deals but I already own almost everything I need and the things I don't have I can't afford.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm crying because the Prime Day selection in Canada is butt.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Steve Yun posted:

I'm crying because these are some great deals but I already own almost everything I need and the things I don't have I can't afford.

I'm in the same boat and as I was buying a new sous vide the deal died. But gravity told me on FB that I can send my broken anova in and possibly get a new one or it working at the very least so I took that saved hundred bucks and bought weed.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is plastic or glass better for storing dry goods? I figure both are similarly priced (especially as I could get glass from second hand stores).

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

obi_ant posted:

I've always seen Cuisinart as a cheap brand. Are they any good? Most of the small appliances that I've purchased by them are usually junk within a year or two.

In terms of knives, should I stick with what the OP posted or... this or this

IME there's nothing wrong with the Cuisinart MultiClad stuff as far as performance.

Scott808 posted:

I have tri ply pieces from several different manufacturers - All Clad, Cuisinart, Calphalon, Kitchen Aid, Cooks Standard. I think cooking performance wise you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The difference is more in the shapes (like compare the skillet shape of All Clad to Cuisinart Multiclad Pro), the handles shape (a lot of people hate the All Clad shape, but it works for me), and how the handles are attached (weld or rivet). And for whatever reason, the All Clads seem to clean up easier than the others - even if it's stuff that I need to use Bar Keeper's Friend on, the All Clads seem to need noticeably less effort. I haven't a clue as to why.

I just try to pick up pieces here and there when I see them at good prices, and so far they've all worked out for me okay.

Looks like Amazon bumped up the price on the All Clad MC2 sets and bumped the discount up 10% to 50%.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Is plastic or glass better for storing dry goods? I figure both are similarly priced (especially as I could get glass from second hand stores).

The main differences are container weight, durability, quality of seal and design, so just get whatever looks the best quality of the options you have, if you don't have an aesthetic preference and don't have small kids running around (or some other reason glass is likely to get broken).

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
How do y'all organize your tupperware? My tupperware cabinet is a total poo poo show and I don't know how to keep it organized. I have a bunch of mismatched, non-stacking containers, and I'm wondering how to organize it in a way that makes it easy to stay neat, because I can pull everything out once a month to restack and poo poo, but I really don't want to.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think it can be organized if it's all mismatched and doesn't stack. I would start fresh with a Rubbermaid Easy-Find set and call it a day. It also comes in glass if you prefer.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Invisible Ted posted:

How do y'all organize your tupperware? My tupperware cabinet is a total poo poo show and I don't know how to keep it organized. I have a bunch of mismatched, non-stacking containers, and I'm wondering how to organize it in a way that makes it easy to stay neat, because I can pull everything out once a month to restack and poo poo, but I really don't want to.

Just use commercial deli containters. They come in 8/16/32oz, the lids are interchangeable, and they stack, are dishwasher, microwave, and freezer safe, and way cheaper than that crap at the store.

Family Photo
Dec 26, 2005
*cheese*

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Just use commercial deli containters. They come in 8/16/32oz, the lids are interchangeable, and they stack, are dishwasher, microwave, and freezer safe, and way cheaper than that crap at the store.

I've always bought this explicitly freezer-safe version, same brand: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N2TADOY

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Scott808 posted:

IME there's nothing wrong with the Cuisinart MultiClad stuff as far as performance.

I'm looking at the

Cuisinart FCT-10 French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless 10-Piece Cookware Set vs Cuisinart MCP-12N Multiclad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set

What's the difference between a tri-ply vs a multi-clad? For an amateur cook, would I notice the difference in performance?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Same thing

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

obi_ant posted:

I'm looking at the

Cuisinart FCT-10 French Classic Tri-Ply Stainless 10-Piece Cookware Set vs Cuisinart MCP-12N Multiclad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set

What's the difference between a tri-ply vs a multi-clad? For an amateur cook, would I notice the difference in performance?

I'm pretty sure both are standard 3 ply (stainless-aluminum-stainless) material, but the MultiClad series is made in China and the French Classic is French made. MultiClad also has rolled/flared pouring rims and the French Classics are straight on the rim; compare the rims of the saucepans from the different lines and you should see the difference in shape. The standard All Clad Tri-Ply and MC2 series also lack the pouring rims on the sauce pans.

I can tell my MC2s are a bit heavier and a bit thicker than the Tri-Ply on the 10 inch skillet, and they probably do perform marginally better. In reality, I don't notice if it really does. All the clad stuff I own all performs well enough. For me the most noticeable difference is the handles. For example I have a 3 quart sauce pan and it has a skinny, smooth, and rounded handle. Lifting it and moving it around is not too bad, but if you want to pour out if it then the handle sucks because it wants to spin in your hand while you're trying to tip the pot sidewards.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Is there an (outdoor) grill thread?

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Is there an (outdoor) grill thread?

We could help you in the slow smoking thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460953

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Invisible Ted posted:

How do y'all organize your tupperware? My tupperware cabinet is a total poo poo show and I don't know how to keep it organized.
Our tupperware cabinet is organized by our 1.5 y/o daughter. A bit hard to find things, but keeps her entertained while we cook.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

My wife bought me an 8-quart Instant Pot for our tenth anniversary.

I'm already looking up recipes. Is ... is this thing really as magical as it seems to be?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

My wife bought me an 8-quart Instant Pot for our tenth anniversary.

I'm already looking up recipes. Is ... is this thing really as magical as it seems to be?

Stock in an hour!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I am one of those "automatic pressure cookers are for babies who can't handle the real thing" snobs, I have two stove top pressure cookers and now I'm peeking over the fence at all the people having fun pressing a button for automatic pressure cooked stocks.

Got a question for you Instant Pot owners, does it make any hissing when it's at pressure or is it a closed system?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Steve Yun posted:

I am one of those "automatic pressure cookers are for babies who can't handle the real thing" snobs, I have two stove top pressure cookers and now I'm peeking over the fence at all the people having fun pressing a button for automatic pressure cooked stocks.

Got a question for you Instant Pot owners, does it make any hissing when it's at pressure or is it a closed system?

It's closed. Makes some hissing as it builds up pressure at times, but stays perfectly silent as far as I can tell while it's at pressure.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My mom surprised me and got me the Anova sous vide cooker on Prime Day so I have that to play with now too!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Schpyder posted:

It's closed. Makes some hissing as it builds up pressure at times, but stays perfectly silent as far as I can tell while it's at pressure.

Sheeeit. I haven't done the side by side taste test myself yet but according to Dave Arnold closed pressure cookers make better tasting stock than open pressure cookers. And I thought I got a steal on my 7qt Kuhn Rikon for $165.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Sheeeit. I haven't done the side by side taste test myself yet but according to Dave Arnold closed pressure cookers make better tasting stock than open pressure cookers. And I thought I got a steal on my 7qt Kuhn Rikon for $165.

I honestly miss being able to properly sauté in the instant pot compared to a stovetop pressure kit, but it does do a reasonable facsimile of a real sauté. You just have to allow more time to reheat before adding more ingredients.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is that instant pot really the versatile wunder-machine it's made out to be? I'd get it in a heartbeat if it was that diverse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Is there a difference between the instant pot and any other electric pressure cooker?