Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

bird food bathtub posted:

When I finish rebuilding my now blown up desktop I need to investigate this. I must have overlooked how to designate the whole shaft somehow. Only way I've known how to do it so far is click the first block of visible material, press L to designate it to be mined. As far as I knew to this point there was no way to designate further blocks because they were invisible and would not let you select them. This has made mining a hideously tedious, one-block-at-a-time ordeal.

Architect -> Orders -> Mine

same deal as chopping wood basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Azhais posted:

Just make the only exit from your prison the warg den

You might be on to something here...

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

I used to think the vanilla traps were garbage but :thunk:

These aren't even metal traps, just granite :shrug:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Stone traps are good. It's wood traps that are garbage.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How are metal traps comparitively? I generally use stone because I almost always have 3000+ bricks of something

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I love making an X pattern of stone traps on the approach to my kill box. Almost always turning granite chunks into bricks for construction anyway, so I just switch whatever unskilled idiot pawn is doing that over to whatever stone is laying around getting in the way and when there's a pile, turn it into traps.

An X shaped grid on the way into your place slows down pawns that walk through it so little I'm not actually sure if it does or not and I've never had someone trigger one accidentally. It's a field of free kills and damage that costs some hauling labor to reset after a raid. They're pretty great.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I always run out of chunks because I barely mine out of fear of infestations. Steel is more plentiful, especially with deep drilling.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What's with you people and infestations? Get a guy with a large sword and a shield belt, park him in the doorway, then put three guys with guns shooting over his shoulder. Infestations are small time and free chemfuel :black101:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

They're just annoying. I do fine without a mountain base, so mining at all is a detriment. The way they are now, you have to go big or go home.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They're just annoying. I do fine without a mountain base, so mining at all is a detriment. The way they are now, you have to go big or go home.

Then you have it even easier. 5 wood walls and some way to set an on fire and shut a stone door behind them and you have cleared your infestation. So long as you do stone airlocks you're 100% fine.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Stone traps are good. It's wood traps that are garbage.

I actually don't want to build stone traps any more because they're virtually always fatal and I get no captures.

Danaru posted:

How are metal traps comparitively? I generally use stone because I almost always have 3000+ bricks of something

Steel = 60 dmg (the base)
Silver = 30 (* 0.5)
Granite = 36 (* 0.6)
Misc stone = 30 (* 0.5)
Wood/Gold = 18 (* 0.3)
Plasteel = 72 (* 1.2)
Uranium = 66 (* 1.1)
Jade = 48 (* 0.8)

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Flesh Forge posted:

I actually don't want to build stone traps any more because they're virtually always fatal and I get no captures.

Steel = 60 dmg (the base)
Silver = 30 (* 0.5)
Granite = 36 (* 0.6)
Misc stone = 30 (* 0.5)
Wood/Gold = 18 (* 0.3)
Plasteel = 72 (* 1.2)
Uranium = 66 (* 1.1)
Jade = 48 (* 0.8)

Woah poo poo I didn't realize steel traps were that strong :stare:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That Tribal Essentials mod set includes a severely broken pit trap that does *250* base damage :jerkbag: Mod author has yet to nerf it as far as I know.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I always run out of chunks because I barely mine out of fear of infestations. Steel is more plentiful, especially with deep drilling.

what is your opinion on mods that add quarries? they are like deep drilling but for stone!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thefluffy posted:

what is your opinion on mods that add quarries? they are like deep drilling but for stone!

I'd download them if they only gave stone, but I'm not interested in free steel/plasteel/etc. like that. Feels like cheating.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'd download them if they only gave stone, but I'm not interested in free steel/plasteel/etc. like that. Feels like cheating.

even the medieval times mod one?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't use Medieval Times.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That MT quarry only gives basic stone chunks and coal, it's not super broken or anything. If you wanted to you could strip it out from the rest of the mod pretty easily, although MT is a great and fun mod on its own.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So that borg I posted on the last page just took a doomsday missile to the face, and kept trucking like nothing had happened. :black101:

Danaru posted:

What's with you people and infestations? Get a guy with a large sword and a shield belt, park him in the doorway, then put three guys with guns shooting over his shoulder. Infestations are small time and free chemfuel :black101:

The only thing irritating about infestations to me is when they spawn multiple groups on opposite ends of the base, so that when you think you've burned out all the bugs, there's still a pack waiting to ambush one of your colonists down a long forgotten tunnel.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Allow Tool is good for checking that.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

When I finish rebuilding my now blown up desktop I need to investigate this. I must have overlooked how to designate the whole shaft somehow. Only way I've known how to do it so far is click the first block of visible material, press L to designate it to be mined. As far as I knew to this point there was no way to designate further blocks because they were invisible and would not let you select them. This has made mining a hideously tedious, one-block-at-a-time ordeal.

I made the same mistake in my earlier days. Just go to orders, click on the mining pick and then select all of the squares you want mined. Also, I've found that pawns will always mine squares selected first over deep drills so you usually have to send them there or unselect your mining squares while they are using the deep drills.

You can do the same with the harvest crops icons. I used to click each plant icon individually before I learned you could click the icon under orders and select the entire field to be harvested.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You don't have to order a harvest of crops, it happens automatically once they hit 100%.

e: unless I'm misreading and you mean a natural field of berries or something, in which case yeah that's the way

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You occasionally will want to harvest early if there's like fallout or a nuclear winter coming and you wanna get what you can out of the ground before the plants all die, but that's a weird edge case.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Sometimes I'll harvest early to get a trade request fulfilled on time. Speaking of trade requests, if someone asks for 12073 potatoes, how do I deliver them without my caravan eating them? I'm almost sure I had enough survival meals for the caravan, but when I got there, I was a few potatoes short and had to just sell them. Do the animals eat them? Can animals eat survival meals?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Animals that can eat potatoes will eat them. Same goes for meals.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Warmachine posted:

The only thing irritating about infestations to me is when they spawn multiple groups on opposite ends of the base, so that when you think you've burned out all the bugs, there's still a pack waiting to ambush one of your colonists down a long forgotten tunnel.
I've never seen this. It must be something with exploratory tunnels? I only mine out what i use, though my base is completely in rock for the smooth stone bonus (still dumb at +3)

I do get infestations on the regular though, and I'm happy for the free kibble and jelly delivery!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 13, 2017

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bhodi posted:

I've never seen this. It must be something with exploratory tunnels? I only mine out what i use, though my base is completely in rock for the smooth stone bonus (still dumb at +3)

I do get infestations on the regular though, and I'm happy for the free kibble and jelly delivery!

I think my base is just big.

The first one is the underground portion. The last infestation spawned three in the mining tunnels at the lower right, and three right outside the armory in the middle (red lights).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

How does anyone do this? The level of micro managing is friggin obscene for a game that is basically nothing but micro managing. Mark one tile of rock, click to prioritize it, do nothing but wait until that pawn's done because you have to mark the next tile or they'll immediately wander away.

Christ, you poor bastard. No wonder you were going nuts.

We all learn something today though, I had no goddamn clue different trap materials made a difference to damage.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Warmachine posted:

I think my base is just big.

The first one is the underground portion. The last infestation spawned three in the mining tunnels at the lower right, and three right outside the armory in the middle (red lights).
That's pretty big. How in the world do you have 60+ colonists without the game slowing to a crawl? I have 20 and 20 animals and it's already getting bad.

Deadfall traps are great except for the fact they kill too many enemies and these days I really just want them alive to sacrifice to the dark gods...

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 13, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Deadfall traps are great except for the fact they kill too many enemies and these days I really just want them alive to sacrifice to the dark gods...

Yeah it's really a problem, although I'm trying to go with wooden deadfalls (18 dmg).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Flesh Forge posted:

Yeah it's really a problem, although I'm trying to go with wooden deadfalls (18 dmg).

I've tried to use wooden deadfall gauntlets and raiders basically ignore them because 18 damage isn't usually enough to cause anything debilitating unless the same guy runs into multiples.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Is there a mod that lets you save an entire colonies work priority list? I just came out of a short toxic fallout and there are a bunch of dead animals everywhere and I want everyone hauling but I have too many people for manually changing priorities.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There was at one time but I haven't seen it come back. However Allow Tool also does this well (Priority Haul for "everybody haul this poo poo I just marked RIGHT NOW").

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Flesh Forge posted:

There was at one time but I haven't seen it come back. However Allow Tool also does this well (Priority Haul for "everybody haul this poo poo I just marked RIGHT NOW").

Priority Haul is very nice.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Fluffy's work tabs does that and a ton more stuff but its not updated. I just checked it on steam though and he left a comment on the 10th saying hes gonna be working on it soon.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

I used to think the vanilla traps were garbage but :thunk:

These aren't even metal traps, just granite :shrug:

Wait can friendly pawns navigate around traps diagonally? Because I always assumed that pawns can only move NSEW.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

As of A17 Tynan decided it wasn't funny any more to have your colonists trip over the trap they just installed, apparently.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Viscous Soda posted:

Wait can friendly pawns navigate around traps diagonally? Because I always assumed that pawns can only move NSEW.

Yup, sure can. They zig zag through them at top speed to. I'm not sure if it slows them down at all and if it does it's not noticeable.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Viscous Soda posted:

Pawns pretty much only move diagonally. They look like bishops and move like them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
do friendly animals still trigger traps?