Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Something is pushing me to want to buy a CNC machine. Something that I can start making billet aluminum parts from. It seems like there would be demand to have access to a machine like that. I am saying that as while I feel confident in my current occupation it is always good to have something in reserve. I am wanting to either look into manufacturing/selling things or learn some sort of high paying skill trade. I don't even know where to begin on this though. It is normal to have thoughts like this, right?

Very normal. I have friends like this and occasionally feel it myself. One guy I know hand built a CNC wood router that can cut whole 4 x 8 boards. He makes videogame enclosures for vintage game restoration with it. Not enough to live on, but he makes enough to have fun with it. Of course he has a shop that has space for it. I don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Enourmo posted:

Please tell me that loving adult jobs have the option of adult-sized furniture where this won't be an issue. I'm having to make a lift for my new office chair because I have the same issue (and my desk, too) at home.

YMMV on this, I've worked in three different office environments in the past four years. Two of them had/have decent adjustable chairs but the desks are fixed height. The other was a complete poo poo show - 10+ year old consumer grade office chair with a fixed desk that was probably from the late 70s or early 80s.

Generally based on my experience company size and the age of the office environment are the biggest factors in quality of office furniture - small company in an old building is probably going to have bad office furniture.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Over here they have to provide you with suitable chairs for health and safety reasons. If you're sat for any length of time at a desk you can kick off and get things that fit.

Hooray for regulations!

That reminds me, I need to get a free eyetest off work.

*fakedit: we've had stand up desks, variable height desks and even a loving treadmill desk in our office.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

im 6'9" and 420lbs

wow same

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Over here they have to provide you with suitable chairs for health and safety reasons. If you're sat for any length of time at a desk you can kick off and get things that fit.

Hooray for regulations!

They are free in quite a few places already, so just save the effort and go to one of them and then hit up work afterwards if you need to for glasses. Tesco Opticians are definitely free. Some Boot's seem to be, and the vision express in my local shithole town also was last time I went there.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

im 6'9" and 420lbs

4'20" 69 lbs here

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hooray for regulations!

Yeah, you'd be amazed how quick a company will buy some new chairs when OSHA gets namedropped.

SCA Enthusiast posted:

4'20" 69 lbs here

4' tall, 20" long

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geoj posted:

YMMV on this, I've worked in three different office environments in the past four years. Two of them had/have decent adjustable chairs but the desks are fixed height. The other was a complete poo poo show - 10+ year old consumer grade office chair with a fixed desk that was probably from the late 70s or early 80s.

Generally based on my experience company size and the age of the office environment are the biggest factors in quality of office furniture - small company in an old building is probably going to have bad office furniture.

Our office workstations have Herman Miller Aeron type chairs, and the section of the desk/worktop that has the keyboard is adjustable for height all the way up to standing, and can be tilted as well. In the cases of unique needs, the workstations are customized for those needs, we have a few people in wheelchairs, and we had one guy have a stroke and when he came back they rigged up a workstation/cubicle with lots of noise insulation and a 'Dragon' type text to speech rig because he was incapable of typing for several months after he was able to come back.

The recently went through and asked everyone if their chairs needed repairs or replacement.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

IOwnCalculus posted:

4' tall, 20" long

Does your wife call you tripod?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Does your wife call you tripod?

Yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fiance just put up more engagement photos. If we're friends on FB I apologise and hope you can handle how loving adorable I am.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
NM

PS: http://katu.com/news/local/oregon-state-police-eel-truck-overturns-on-hwy-101-apparently-covering-road-in-slime

blk fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 13, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

They are free in quite a few places already, so just save the effort and go to one of them and then hit up work afterwards if you need to for glasses. Tesco Opticians are definitely free. Some Boot's seem to be, and the vision express in my local shithole town also was last time I went there.
Work use Specsavers now, and what's good is they give you their "golden ticket" thing for your next purchase even though it's on a company account, so I then get my own glasses half price.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

SCA Enthusiast posted:

4'20" 69 lbs here

In my pants :pervert:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

rdb posted:

Now your username makes sense and yeah I feel you on the height thing.

E: plane seats on regional jets suck. Work does get easier otherwise, just be sure to get up from your desk on occasion to stretch. That kinda applies to everyone.

gently caress regional jets. I can barely loving walk after a short trip in them.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

400 pictures of eels and/or associated slime, not one of the overturned truck.

edit: maybe that's it in the distance in a couple of the pics?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Hooray for regulations!

I get free flu shots and invariably catch the common cold.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
You guys think regional jets are a problem, get this:

I'm 6'1" and the lay-down bedlets in most business class sections on international jets are built for someone exactly 6' tall, it's loving not fair!! (an actual issue as dumb as it sounds)

Seriously though I feel you *actually* big guys, I have enough issues being 'large' compared to average sized people.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

We have steelcase leap chairs at work and I always feel like I've got it set up incorrectly. Nice chairs are really complicated.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

After about a five month process, I am finally registered in the state of FL to legally use medical marijuana, I'm pretty stoked.

Hoping this is going to do the trick so I don't have to go back on loving meds :ohdear:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Did I hit mark unread? Or have I just missed half a months worth of chat thread? Who knows.

Test drove an F-150. I knew it was huge from sitting in one before, but I'd hoped it would feel smaller while driving.

Nope! Felt even bigger. Driving a brontosaurus would not feel this big

gently caress

Test drove a Tacoma.

Still felt big, definitely lacked the power, but it was livable.

I started looking at trucks to have fun off road and tow the motorcycle to track days, but independent of that, I've started taking steps towards finishing my degree. Since I don't want to transfer when I already have 100 credits done, and UNRs web offerings loving suck, I'm probably going to have to move back to Reno to finish it. 4x4 would be nice for winter drives over the Sierras, and maybe when I'm done the Ranger will be out and I can put that awesome resale value towards a truck with the size of a Tacoma but with a grown up Ford engine in it. The 3.5EB and the 10A in an aluminum bodied Tacoma size truck would be hilariously good fun.

I'm also in Vegas for the first time, with my GF, and it's pretty fun even after a 10 hour drive.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 14, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

Ether Frenzy posted:

You guys think regional jets are a problem, get this:

I'm 6'1" and the lay-down bedlets in most business class sections on international jets are built for someone exactly 6' tall, it's loving not fair!! (an actual issue as dumb as it sounds)

Seriously though I feel you *actually* big guys, I have enough issues being 'large' compared to average sized people.

I have flown to shanghai and back a couple times on united in business class, and yeah, I can see how thats annoying. More so when your 6'6" with shoes off, but it sure as gently caress beats 19 hours packed shoulder to shoulder in economy.

Speaking of flying, I had a kinda rough flight into Detroit today. First time I have seen a flight attendant get knocked to the floor by turbulence and first aborted landing. Pilots kept the cockpit door closed while we were getting off so I couldn't ask questions.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

Did I hit mark unread? Or have I just missed half a months worth of chat thread? Who knows.

Test drove an F-150. I knew it was huge from sitting in one before, but I'd hoped it would feel smaller while driving.

Nope! Felt even bigger. Driving a brontosaurus would not feel this big

gently caress

Test drove a Tacoma.

Still felt big, definitely lacked the power, but it was livable.

I started looking at trucks to have fun off road and tow the motorcycle to track days, but independent of that, I've started taking steps towards finishing my degree. Since I don't want to transfer when I already have 100 credits done, and UNRs web offerings loving suck, I'm probably going to have to move back to Reno to finish it. 4x4 would be nice for winter drives over the Sierras, and maybe when I'm done the Ranger will be out and I can put that awesome resale value towards a truck with the size of a Tacoma but with a grown up Ford engine in it. The 3.5EB and the 10A in an aluminum bodied Tacoma size truck would be hilariously good fun.

I'm also in Vegas for the first time, with my GF, and it's pretty fun even after a 10 hour drive.

Wait for the 2018 jeep pickup?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rdb posted:

I have flown to shanghai and back a couple times on united in business class, and yeah, I can see how thats annoying. More so when your 6'6" with shoes off, but it sure as gently caress beats 19 hours packed shoulder to shoulder in economy.

Speaking of flying, I had a kinda rough flight into Detroit today. First time I have seen a flight attendant get knocked to the floor by turbulence and first aborted landing. Pilots kept the cockpit door closed while we were getting off so I couldn't ask questions.

The weather here has been v stormy and humid

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

After about a five month process, I am finally registered in the state of FL to legally use medical marijuana, I'm pretty stoked.

Hoping this is going to do the trick so I don't have to go back on loving meds :ohdear:

That's awesome dude. Weed is awesome. I hope this is an awesome experience. I hope it makes you feel awesome.

awesome

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Thanks Rhyno, your support is awesome.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
blaze it

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
"He just buys lovely cars because of brain damage"

Story of my life

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Funny you say that because legally I have to vape or eat it, smoking it is not allowed :flame:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Funny you say that because legally I have to vape or eat it, smoking it is not allowed :flame:

Wait, really? That seems like a silly requirement. You'd think smoking it would be a better way of transferring the THC to your blood system.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You Am I posted:

Wait, really? That seems like a silly requirement. You'd think smoking it would be a better way of transferring the THC to your blood system.

Vaping does it better with no carcinogens and little waste product

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You Am I posted:

The law just passed so they're still working out the kinks. There's a group of lawyers that are already suing the state :v:

In the meantime vaping is just fine, I prefer it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nah vaping it really is the way to go

or edibles but that's a real 8-12 hour commitment

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Seriously. Smoking burns away like 85% of the good stuff. Vaping is the opposite. Woth goid temp control, you GET 90% of it. It's way more cost effective.

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!

Darchangel posted:

For us? Yes.
If you're any kind of handy with electronics and computers, you can buy an older (analog?) CNC and upgrade it to a more modern system using a PC and some interface boards, along with new steppers. My late brother in law was doing this as a side business, as well as to get cheaper machines for his machine shop business. He was going to coach me through refitting one of the machines for my own use, but sadly, the cancer got him before we had a chance. It would have been entertaining getting the mill into my garage, but I was willing to try.
If we can figure out which machine he was wanting to give me, I still want to give it a try.

Speaking of home fabrication, what's AI's recommendations for a 3D printer? Unfortunately, I can't really spend $1500 on one, so what's the best bang/buck? What I've read so far, the Monoprice Maker series are very good for the price, and support Open source and standard G-code, with a lot of features not normally found at the price point. I can swing $400 for a Maker Select Plus. there really doesn't seem to be much below $500. Hell, there's not a lot below $1000.
I want to make widgets!

Kind of inspired by the guy making wiper and pop-up headlight bushings for RX-7s (they're unobtainium unless you buy a whole linkage).

The older CNC thing is a bit of a crap shoot unless you know what you are doing. Many of the old machines have been ridden hard and put away wet and if you don't know what to look for, you will have a pile of scrap. Just check the mechanical workings of any machine before starting on the conversion and return it to the scrap yard if it is too horribly worn. I haven't converted an old machine but have converted a manual to CNC with decent results.

That being said, I mostly print things these days as 3d printers are fire and forget once you get them dialed in. I have several of the Monoprice Maker Ultimate printers. They tend to go on sale from time to time and I picked mine up for $500 each. They can use a few inexpensive upgrades like an all-metal hot end if you want to print more automotive compatible plastics. It is great to prototype with the 3d printer and machine the final version. I have also printed suspension bushing boots using X60 TPU that have worked great (need a flexion extruder for this).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Seriously. Smoking burns away like 85% of the good stuff. Vaping is the opposite. Woth goid temp control, you GET 90% of it. It's way more cost effective.

Pretty much. I'm old school so I'm still getting used to it. Went through one lovely cheap vaper already so I'm gonna invest in a good one. I should listen to what TCC goons say to get right? :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Pretty much. I'm old school so I'm still getting used to it. Went through one lovely cheap vaper already so I'm gonna invest in a good one. I should listen to what TCC goons say to get right? :v:

Unironically yes

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not very experienced in this area but after using a lovely pen vaporizer I got a Plenty and think it's awesome. Seems really efficient (especially with the reducer) and no throat burning. They also free FedEx 2 day that poo poo which is pretty boss.

e: I've only used it with flower.

Galler fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 14, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hit that dab boyzzzzz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If anything do it for me because working in the auto industry means no fun :argh:

• Locked thread