Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Flipswitch posted:

What was the Skellige popularity like before the patch? I imagine it's dropped rather sharpish.

Crach and Bran combined for just under 40% popularity, so right about where Dagon and Unseen Elder are now. Even so their winrate was around 52%, which is really good. Dagon pulling a 60% winrate now in comparison is completely bonkers.

So the top faction is even worse in terms of balance than last patch. Thankfully though after monsters there's a fair amount of diversity so the game doesn't feel quite as stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Time for the Saviour of the North to shine, and send all these critters to the dungeons.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Captainicus posted:

Poor Harald, what a winrate!

It's a little self-reinforced, even if the stats are all from 3k+ games. There's much better leaders for Skellige so good players play those instead, so the only people left playing Harald are "bad" players or people essentially throwing games, right?

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Minrad posted:

It's a little self-reinforced, even if the stats are all from 3k+ games. There's much better leaders for Skellige so good players play those instead, so the only people left playing Harald are "bad" players or people essentially throwing games, right?

Nah dude stop thinking, just take these numbers at face value like everyone else, they are the be all and end all of game balance. You must be some kind of monsters player.

although monsters probably really are a little strong

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It doesn't feel oppressive or bad so I don't really care about the winrates this time around. We're a ways off from this patch's final form imo. Once we start seeing yennicorn in every deck to counter woodland spirit and dagon's still on top, yeah, then I'll be worried.

Love seeing commander's horn around again.

Edit: Who was it that said reveal would be tier 1? Lol

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 12, 2017

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Reppin' my Fran Shuffle deck and my Morvarn reveal like a champ. Aww yea, love this game.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

The consume machine is just unstoppable

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

Edit: Who was it that said reveal would be tier 1? Lol

Reddit.

But also the Discord group, 2 days after the patch.

https://imgur.com/a/GMPGN

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Electronico6 posted:

Reddit.

But also the Discord group, 2 days after the patch.

https://imgur.com/a/GMPGN
Yeah that was the imgur I was looking for. They got the dagon thing right so I guess I can't rip on them too hard.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

When you rank decks on the general notion that nobody will run hard counters, I can see why Reveal would be T1. It's powerful and rarely does it need to break it's big guns to win R1, but people do run hard counters and welp.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Holy moly those monster winrates lol. Already seeing a lot of tech against them though, the funniest one is Redanian Knight because it basically turns weather into "buff an enemy unit by 2 every turn."

Still almost nobody running actual weather clear, though, aside from like a single token Clear Skies.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Reveal is a fun and interactive deck that has good round one tempo so even when you lose you felt like the match was close. Its units tend to line up really well for large igni and scorches though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't get why reveal would be any better than sk discard. Discard's a much stronger mechanic and the payoff cards are similar (and you can resurrect longships as a bonus).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 12, 2017

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Really strong silvers, I'd guess. Two locks and mardroeme on a stick are great in this meta. Vanhemar used to be great too.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

No Wave posted:

I don't get why reveal would be any better than sk discard. Discard's a much stronger mechanic and the payoff cards are similar (and you can resurrect longships as a bonus).

The better discard and reveal lists are cutting longships and mangonels. Reveal puts more Knights or spells, while discard is going for Queensguard.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Queensguard are pretty nuts when you consider they are almost as big of a point swing as crones, except they are bronze, don't gently caress you over on mulligans, and can pretty easily be pulled back onto the field 2 or 3 times in a game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

QG are very good and not being able to doeme them away R1 sucks. If I ever lose to a QG player I have to remind myself of the humiliating losses to dwarves they must suffer through.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Minrad posted:

I'm still having fun playing harald with some axemen, even if I don't own yennifer or somesuch... oh no, it is me! I'm the "bad" harald player! I'm so sorry, bottom tier mmr harald statstics! :dawkins101:

EDIT: With elven mercenaries back to loyal and 'choose one of two' I'm glad to see some other low rank players without all the cards playing classic dwarves + elven mercenaries with thunderbolts and swallows and adrenaline rushes. Reminds me of my closed beta days!

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 12, 2017

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That's a netdeck, I saw jj playing it in top 100 on his stream

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Man these reaver decks are brutal, had someone playing super sloppy and down 3 cards still pull off a win because they had the perfect combo in hand.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

No Wave posted:

QG are very good and not being able to doeme them away R1 sucks. If I ever lose to a QG player I have to remind myself of the humiliating losses to dwarves they must suffer through.

I have a 100% winrate against dwarves with my Queensguard deck. I put a bear down then laugh as i kill their dwarves off with shieldmaidens, Triss or Blackhand. If any survive i have a Coral and mushroom to deal with it once they are done with their potions.

I stopped playing that deck once i hit 4k to try out the Dagon butterflies deck because i've been playing Queensguard variants since open beta started.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I've been playing bloody baron control for the last week or so, really enjoying that. Up to about 3.5k mmr so far. Its nice that it dunks on monsters both consume and swarm.

Also highly favored against dwarves. Not doing the maths but that seems to be over 50% of the decks I face.

Gets owned hard by QG though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I've been playing bloody baron control for the last week or so, really enjoying that. Up to about 3.5k mmr so far. Its nice that it dunks on monsters both consume and swarm.

Also highly favored against dwarves. Not doing the maths but that seems to be over 50% of the decks I face.

Gets owned hard by QG though.

Shackled and succubused the baron once. :v:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Shackled and succubused the baron once. :v:

Did it then get scorched by the NR players own dragon?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So I've been recycling my animated cards to make a fully animated deck and christ you get a bit of slowdown if you have a lot of these on the screen at once.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Did it then get scorched by the NR players own dragon?

Not that time, but I'm sure it'll happen eventually since shackles variant is perfectly reasonable as builds go.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Based off the reddit thread, I'm going to pose this question here: why does the mulligan work the way it does? As a reminder, cards you mull go in to a random position in the deck and are skipped if you would re-draw them. This tends to filter them upward in the deck.

The practical effect is to make bad hands even worse, because all those bad cards you threw away are way more likely to be on the top of your deck. I've played enough to notice the effect quite a bit, it's extremely obnoxious. In reveal if I reveal 3 daerlan foot soldiers I will draw at least 2 useless spotters and/or nilfgaardian knights almost every time.

I don't think there is any good reason whatsoever for it to work like this. Cards you mulligan away and all copies should be placed in a separate pile and shuffled back into the deck after the mulligan. Instead we have a system that is 1. more consistent 2. bad and unfun in its consistency. A bad starting hand is bad enough, why do I need to be punished throughout the rest of the game for bad draw RNG?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

I made a second account on my console just to play around with the intro decks. It's kind of fun going back to playing with the starters and slowly replacing poo poo cards one by one in a new faction. There does appear to be a abnormally high concentration of Dagon Triss:Butt players in the pre-level 10 bracket, because of course there are.

Can't escape the meta anywhere!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Magic Underwear posted:

Based off the reddit thread, I'm going to pose this question here: why does the mulligan work the way it does? As a reminder, cards you mull go in to a random position in the deck and are skipped if you would re-draw them. This tends to filter them upward in the deck.

The practical effect is to make bad hands even worse, because all those bad cards you threw away are way more likely to be on the top of your deck. I've played enough to notice the effect quite a bit, it's extremely obnoxious. In reveal if I reveal 3 daerlan foot soldiers I will draw at least 2 useless spotters and/or nilfgaardian knights almost every time.

I don't think there is any good reason whatsoever for it to work like this. Cards you mulligan away and all copies should be placed in a separate pile and shuffled back into the deck after the mulligan. Instead we have a system that is 1. more consistent 2. bad and unfun in its consistency. A bad starting hand is bad enough, why do I need to be punished throughout the rest of the game for bad draw RNG?

I personally strongly agree it should be removed, though you would probably have complaints from higher skilled players saying it is a great system that you have to learn and manipulating your deck in this manner should just be a core skill everyone should learn...

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Magic Underwear posted:

Yes it's bad and it actually really bothers me. Nobody with a brain is in favor of it.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Yeah I haven't heard anyone defending it really. Shuffle the drat deck.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is Isengrim worth a craft? I'm steadily filling out all of my golds and then silvers and this card just seems so narrow in what it does.

For ref, the golds I'm missing (non Skellige) are:
Isengrim
Iorveth
Phillipa Eilhart
Priscilla
Keira Metz
John Natalis
Assassination
Xarthisius
Old Speartip
Kayran
Caranthir
Drought
Gaunter O'Dimm
Regis
Regis: Higher Vampire
Zoltan: Animal Tamer
Geralt: Aard
Ciri: Dash

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

Is Isengrim worth a craft? I'm steadily filling out all of my golds and then silvers and this card just seems so narrow in what it does.

I think generally the best advice is to figure out decks you want to play and craft cards to match. I don't see a whole lot of point in just randomly crafting a standalone gold if you have nowhere to put it.

With Isengrim in particular, the power level is there. The silver Ambush cards are quite powerful in their own right, and stapling a 7 power gold body onto one of them is a serious tempo swing off one card. There are other good cards in your list though - Keira, Phillipa, Regis:Higher Vampire and Caranthir are all common sights at high ranks. I also think Old Speartip is criminally underrated.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah, I've got 4 decks I'm playing mostly unchanged now so I'm just filling out my collection around that. The decks are NG Spy, NG Reveal, ST spell and ST mulligan.

I might do some googling at the type of cards NR tend to play and give that a go to see what I'm missing.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

you could grab Ciri Dash, you likely already have everything you could need to make a NG dash deck.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Caranthir sees a lot of play in monster lists still, and I still see a decent number of Regis: Higher Vampires floating around. Isengrim is good but as you said, very narrow, and if you don't see yourself playing the specific deck he works in, there's not much reason to prioritize crafting him.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I wish this game was better about giving me a chance to see what all the effects flash by are. Like cards that trigger other cards and poo poo. Makes it hard to learn. I feel like I need someone to teach me what I need to think about and stuff during a match as well. A lot of the time I can't tell when the right time to pass is. I think a lot of it is because I just don't know what all these cards do. I really like the game though, it's just been kinda hard to learn.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

For ref, the golds I'm missing (non Skellige) are:
Isengrim
Iorveth
Phillipa Eilhart
Priscilla
Keira Metz
John Natalis
Assassination
Xarthisius
Old Speartip
Kayran
Caranthir
Drought
Gaunter O'Dimm
Regis
Regis: Higher Vampire
Zoltan: Animal Tamer
Geralt: Aard
Ciri: Dash

Isengrim is real good but you gotta know when to play ambushes and when not to. (better than iorveth tho)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon

yeah this is really fun to play, woooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

frajaq posted:

Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon Dagon

yeah this is really fun to play, woooo