Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
"Hey, I'll pay three times your asking price for that cow if you teach me how to stun and kill it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nachos posted:

Does zuck just randomly roll up to farms and ask to eat dinner with the family? How does this work?

his people vet you and ask you if you want to have a billionaire come over and cater dinner at your house and then if you agree they tell you that you just got zucked

https://twitter.com/EliStokols/status/885161014848888833

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 13, 2017

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
80% of that has to be Zuck practicing being personable in weird stilted conversations with "real" Americans or whatever.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

pangstrom posted:

80% of that has to be Zuck practicing being personable in weird stilted conversations with "real" Americans or whatever.

It's like the world's greatest experiment to see if tech bros can learn empathy. Or at least fake it enough to succeed in politics.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Well, Donald Trump is a moron and lacks empathy but he's fine at schmoozing. I might be even worse at it than Zuck is, I suppose, but then again I would never say "gently caress it I'm going to try to explore running for national office anyway".

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Faraday Futures, conceived as a Tesla-killer, is having problems.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/10/15948976/faraday-future-halts-factory-nevada-cash-woes

quote:

What’s clear is that while Faraday Future has managed to stay out of the headlines these past few months, the company clearly has yet to recover from the setbacks it suffered leading up to and immediately proceeding CES in January 2017. Mounting debts, unpaid bills, supplier lawsuits, and financial mismanagement have all served to chip away at Faraday Future’s foundation. The FF91’s embarrassing onstage malfunction made it the laughing stock of this year’s CES. The company lost several top executives, including its “global CEO” associated with LeEco (currently undergoing its own financial crisis).

“They’ve burned through cash on unimportant things (Formula E racers, polished videos, fake race cars),” the ex-executive said. “Then LeEco trying to fund three separate car initiatives simultaneously… They did set a new record for the Pike’s Peak climb which I feel exemplifies the brilliance of those engineers they’ve brought on… it’s just a shame that it seems it may all go to waste.”

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I did t hear about their CES malfunction. What happened?

If they fail, i guess Tesla can swoop their good engineers up.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I sure would love to read the list of things that average americans aren't allowed to say or do around zuck and are probably forced to sign something stating they won't.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Just goes to show, trying to kill someone that's already trying to kill a shitload of other companies and not succeeding? Probably means you've picked the wrong business at the wrong time.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

FilthyImp posted:

I did t hear about their CES malfunction. What happened?

kinda dull

https://www.theverge.com/2017/1/4/14162994/faraday-future-malfunction-self-park-ces-2017

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Does Soundcloud fall into this category?

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/12/soundshroud/

"Some of SoundCloud’s offices had catered lunches twice a week and had lavishly stocked kitchens and bathrooms, according to a source. When team members joined, they were given company swag, headphones and brand new Apple laptops. Employees were confused how the company was “blowing through money, but now is saying they don’t have any money. People would have made sacrifices, to be honest. It’s a fun company to work at, but there was no indication.”

A core question from staff during the all-hands was why there wasn’t transparency into the finances or a strict hiring freeze. The message from management was that a hiring freeze would show weakness and lead to people asking questions. That wasn’t satisfying when the company ended up shedding almost half its staff."

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

sleep with the vicious posted:

"Some of SoundCloud’s offices had catered lunches twice a week and had lavishly stocked kitchens and bathrooms, according to a source. When team members joined, they were given company swag, headphones and brand new Apple laptops. Employees were confused how the company was “blowing through money, but now is saying they don’t have any money. People would have made sacrifices, to be honest. It’s a fun company to work at, but there was no indication.”

A core question from staff during the all-hands was why there wasn’t transparency into the finances or a strict hiring freeze. The message from management was that a hiring freeze would show weakness and lead to people asking questions. That wasn’t satisfying when the company ended up shedding almost half its staff."
Let this be a lesson when you're considering taking a startup job. No matter how impressive it looks they may literally be weeks from financial collapse, and management won't tell you because they need to look like they're still growing.

It's all about convincing investors that they might be missing out (rather than that they're the company's last desperate hope).

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Regarding SoundCloud, this Hacker News thread is an interesting read because it features former employees posting anonymously about what they though went wrong. According to the employees in that thread, there were major issues with work culture differences between people hired from different countries/backgrounds and management preferred to bury their heads in the sand than try to take on instituting a more uniform culture within the company.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So what happens to all the stuff on Soundcloud when it goes under?

Disappears into the void?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So what happens to all the stuff on Soundcloud when it goes under?

Disappears into the void?

Well Archive Team has an updated page on it, so they're getting ready to have a user-done archive of everything on there. That's likely to miss any private/unlisted type tracks unless SoundCloud starts actively cooperating with them of course.

http://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=SoundCloud

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mr.Radar posted:

Regarding SoundCloud, this Hacker News thread is an interesting read because it features former employees posting anonymously about what they though went wrong. According to the employees in that thread, there were major issues with work culture differences between people hired from different countries/backgrounds and management preferred to bury their heads in the sand than try to take on instituting a more uniform culture within the company.

So they should have fired more people for bad culture fit?:raise:

I've read the thread, and my biggest take away is the first complaint of the first poster:

quote:

nobody there could figure out a product definition nor a monetization plan.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

blowfish posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if at least the boss lady hadn't. You probably believe in your own bullshit if you're not just a pampered tween, but a ~special~ ideas girl visionary whose only takeaway from College before dropping out is that ~science~ and ~progress~ are just things that happen due to the presence of an unspecified large mass of technical nerds who will automagically iron out any minor technical details necessary to make your grand idea come true.

And she's not going to learn any lessons from it because she's already rich, so she'll be just fine and probably wind up sitting on some boards, doing some investing, etc. especially given her family's extensive military-industrial-intelligence complex connections. Hell, some companies will be eager to have her on their board.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Pretty sure soundcloud was the dog chef and dog butler company.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

sleep with the vicious posted:

The message from management was that a hiring freeze would show weakness and lead to people asking questions.
That, right there. That is what is wrong with the unicorn culture. The sense that you're dancing across an invisible net of other people's belief in you, and that if they stop believing, everybody falls to an icy death.

(Note that Larry Ellison's Oracle used to ship unreadable tapes when they couldn't solve a bug inside a deadline; the time to ship the tape, get back "We can't read this", say "Oh, it was fine when we left here", gave them enough extra time to maybe ship the fix. This isn't new.)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wait am I not going to be able to listen to free electronic music on soundcloud at work anymore? Guess I'll use... mixcloud...

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That, right there. That is what is wrong with the unicorn culture. The sense that you're dancing across an invisible net of other people's belief in you, and that if they stop believing, everybody falls to an icy death.

(Note that Larry Ellison's Oracle used to ship unreadable tapes when they couldn't solve a bug inside a deadline; the time to ship the tape, get back "We can't read this", say "Oh, it was fine when we left here", gave them enough extra time to maybe ship the fix. This isn't new.)

Wow oracle stole my strat for buying more time to write papers in college?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oracle has a history of playing fast and loose with the rules, and it's been said before but Ellison is so famously an rear end in a top hat that someone wrote a book about it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

fishmech posted:

Well Archive Team has an updated page on it, so they're getting ready to have a user-done archive of everything on there. That's likely to miss any private/unlisted type tracks unless SoundCloud starts actively cooperating with them of course.

http://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=SoundCloud

As I mentioned in the PYF Companies Circling The Drain thread they're probably not going to be able to get all of Soundcloud due to how much it would cost the Internet Archive to host all that material (around 1 petabyte):

https://twitter.com/textfiles/status/885527796583284741

At the very least they'll probably get a subset of the content, but all of it is unlikely unless the IA can fundraise enough to cover those costs.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
how the christ did soundcloud stay operational for this long while having to host a goddamn petabyte

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

A big flaming stink posted:

how the christ did soundcloud stay operational for this long while having to host a goddamn petabyte

:homebrew:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

What does "forseeable future" mean in that context? 1 month? 6 months? A year?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

I am sure they had the $100k they need for that. The twitter guy is taking out of his rear end.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
When the Internet Archive quotes a hosting cost, they mean an up-front cost that should let them host that blob of data in perpetuity. I think at one point they were citing that $1K up front would let them host 1TB forever.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

eschaton posted:

When the Internet Archive quotes a hosting cost, they mean an up-front cost that should let them host that blob of data in perpetuity. I think at one point they were citing that $1K up front would let them host 1TB forever.

This. Basically, how much it would cost to fund an endowment which would sustain the hosting costs indefinitely (including the bandwidth costs to transfer the data, storing two copies of the data at all times, migrating it to new hard drives every few years, the datacenter space and electricity, all the people who need to maintain all these servers, etc.). Also, Jason Scott is an IA employee and Brewster Kahle is the IA's founder so they know what they're talking about.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

BabyFur Denny posted:

I am sure they had the $100k they need for that. The twitter guy is taking out of his rear end.

Lol yeah why don't they just pop down to Best buy and get a bunch of externals? loving idiots

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Mr.Radar posted:

As I mentioned in the PYF Companies Circling The Drain thread they're probably not going to be able to get all of Soundcloud due to how much it would cost the Internet Archive to host all that material (around 1 petabyte):

At the very least they'll probably get a subset of the content, but all of it is unlikely unless the IA can fundraise enough to cover those costs.

Archive Team operations don't rely on the Internet Archive itself to be able to host their projects, though they'd always prefer if that becomes possible. Like other big projects, they would initially rely on a bunch of volunteers with lots of home and business storage spare, while a more permanent solution is sought. As well as providing as much of it as possible through giant torrents.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A petabyte is not as much data as you apparently think it is for a relatively large scale internet business. I'm sure that was a relatively small percentage of their overall costs. Back of the envelope calculation: storing a petabyte of data on AWS S3 and Glacier (as I believe they do) is roughly $25k a month. Not chump change, but it's not going to kill the business either.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone see the NYT article about the "thankless" job of being the next Uber CEO? Yes millions in compensation is thankless. I like the paper but they suck off the rich too much.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mr.Radar posted:

There's a Company death watch thread? Do you have a link?

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

axeil posted:

There's a Company death watch thread? Do you have a link?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762804

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Steve French posted:

A petabyte is not as much data as you apparently think it is for a relatively large scale internet business. I'm sure that was a relatively small percentage of their overall costs. Back of the envelope calculation: storing a petabyte of data on AWS S3 and Glacier (as I believe they do) is roughly $25k a month. Not chump change, but it's not going to kill the business either.

$25k/mo = $300k/yr

Put $2 million into an endowment calculator for 100 years. You're only looking at being able to give/spend around $80k in the first year. I'm sure they're probably getting a better deal on the hosting than the regular commercial AWS price, but when you're setting up endowments that are going to last long into the future, a lot of money doesn't go as far as you'd expect (until you are much further in the future).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LanceHunter posted:

$25k/mo = $300k/yr

Put $2 million into an endowment calculator for 100 years. You're only looking at being able to give/spend around $80k in the first year. I'm sure they're probably getting a better deal on the hosting than the regular commercial AWS price, but when you're setting up endowments that are going to last long into the future, a lot of money doesn't go as far as you'd expect (until you are much further in the future).

He's talking about for SoundCloud themselves, right now. Not the Internet Archive attempting to set up a permanent collection of SoundCloud, which wouldn't use AWS in the first place except for caching.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Just for fun:

Wikipedia posted:

Examples of the use of the petabyte to describe data sizes in different fields are:

Telecommunications (capacity): The world's effective capacity to exchange information through two-way telecommunication networks was 281 petabytes of information in 1986, 471 petabytes in 1993, 2,200 petabytes in 2000, and 65,000 petabytes in 2007 (this is the informational equivalent to every person exchanging 6 newspapers per day).[1]
Telecommunications (usage): In 2008, AT&T transfers about 30 petabytes of data through its networks each day.[2]

Internet: Google processed about 24 petabytes of data per day in 2009.[3] The BBC's iPlayer is reported to have transferred up to 7 petabytes each month in 2010.[4] Imgur transfers about 4 petabytes of data per month.[5]
The Wayback Machine, as of October 2016, has a total data of 15 petabytes.[6]
Supercomputers: In January 2012, Cray began construction of the Blue Waters, which has "up to 500 petabytes of tape storage".[7]

Data storage system: In August 2011, IBM was reported to have built the largest storage array ever, with a capacity of 120 petabytes.[8]
Databases: Teradata Database 12 has a capacity of 50 petabytes of compressed data.[9][10]
Data mining: In August 2012, Facebook's Hadoop clusters include the largest single HDFS cluster known, with more than 100 PB physical disk space in a single HDFS filesystem.[11] Yahoo stores 2 petabytes of data on behavior.[12]
Digital archives: The Internet Archive surpassed 15 petabytes, as of May 2014.[13]

Email: In May 2013, Microsoft announces that as part of their migration of Hotmail accounts to the new Outlook.com email service, they migrated over 150 petabytes of user data in six weeks.[14]
File sharing (centralized): At its 2012 closure of file storage services, Megaupload held ~28 petabytes of user uploaded data.[15]
File sharing (peer-to-peer): 2013 - BitTorrent Sync has transferred over 30 petabytes of data since its pre-alpha release in January 2013.[16]
Film: The 2009 film Avatar is reported to have taken over 1 petabyte of local storage at Weta Digital for the rendering of the 3D CGI effects.[17][18]
Video streaming: As of May 2013, Netflix had 3.14 petabytes of video "master copies", which it compresses and converts into 100 different formats for streaming.[19]
Photos: As of January 2013, Facebook users had uploaded over 240 billion photos,[20] with 350 million new photos every day. For each uploaded photo, Facebook generates and stores four images of different sizes, which translated to a total of 960 billion images and an estimated 357 petabytes of storage.[21]
Music: One petabyte of average MP3-encoded songs (for mobile, roughly one megabyte per minute), would require 2000 years to play.[22]

Games: World of Warcraft uses 1.3 petabytes of storage to maintain its game.[23]
Steam, a digital distribution service, delivers over 16 petabytes of content to American users weekly.[24]
Cloud backup: Multiple backup vendors, including Code42, Backblaze, and Mozy claim to store 90 or more petabytes of user backup data.[25]
Physics: The experiments in the Large Hadron Collider produce about 15 petabytes of data per year, which are distributed over the Worldwide LHC Computing Grid.[26] In July 2012 it was revealed that CERN amassed about 200 petabytes of data from the more than 800 trillion collisions looking for the Higgs boson.[27]
Neurology: It is estimated that the human brain's ability to store memories is equivalent to about 2.5 petabytes of binary data.[28][29]
Climate science: The German Climate Computing Centre (DKRZ) has a storage capacity of 60 petabytes of climate data.[30]
Folding@home (Scientific Data): Folding@home has generated 0.5 petabytes of simulated data.[31]
Google Photos has an estimated of 13.7 petabytes worth of photos uploaded in the first year of its existence.[32]

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

LanceHunter posted:

$25k/mo = $300k/yr

Don't forget that storage costs have a strong history of getting significantly cheaper over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

EDIT: Nevermind, misread