Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Gaia is sadly super formulaic in a very bad way. It has some fantastic monsters and effects, but the story is just one long bleh.

If you want something more serious, try Nexus.

If you want what basically led into Geed, Mebius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Holy moly, I did not expect this week's Kyuranger at all. Scorpio turning into a good guy at the end of his life felt forced but beyond that it was a good episode. Champ's return was awesome, and Phoenix Soldier is...interesting.

And Ex-Aid keeps just really hating Hiiro. After we got two people coming back to life, nope, Saki's dead. Because Hiiro can't be happy. At least his relationship with Taiga is completely patched up.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
The emotional rollercoaster that is Ex-Aid just keeps rolling, holy poo poo

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Christ, Ex-Aid. I remember when the first few episodes were so overly slapstick and toyetic, I thought at best it would end up being a lighthearted and fun but ultimately none too deep or plot heavy series like Fourze. Which wouldn't have been bad, but it certainly wouldn't be the awesome poo poo that it is right now. Almost got some tears from me between the breakdown and the ending, and yet again one of the most intense next episode previews ever. Ex-Aid will have to completely gently caress up its ending to not go down as one of my favorites, but I don't see that happening with how tight this act has been.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Holy moly, I did not expect this week's Kyuranger at all. Scorpio turning into a good guy at the end of his life felt forced but beyond that it was a good episode. Champ's return was awesome, and Phoenix Soldier is...interesting.

Interesting is certainly the right word for it. He is a little heavy on the catchphrases for now, but I did think his schtick was funny so I'm hoping he'll improve over time like Lucky did. I did really like his Styling Flames, and I appreciate that between his Ore-sama and Champ's Wagahai we now have the best first person pronouns accounted for.

He was definitely way overpowered for his first appearance, but at the same time considering how long they hyped up the Argo I guess it is only fair that 'it' should be capable of this much.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think overpowered first appearances are just how this show works. Recall how Lucky debuted as Leo Red by riding a meteor through the atmosphere at full heat and velocity, and slamming it into the bad guy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

I think overpowered first appearances are just how this show works. Recall how Lucky debuted as Leo Red by riding a meteor through the atmosphere at full heat and velocity, and slamming it into the bad guy.

Considering this guy is basically our official "Sixth" for the season (while DragonCommander is more like the DekaMaster of the show) him being overpowered in his debut episode is just par for the course as far as Sentai goes, after a few episodes it'll wear off and he'll be back on roughly the same level as the rest of the team.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 11, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That's definitely fair. I think he set a high bar for how powerful a sixth ranger is out of the gate though, that was a lot of explosions haha.

Also I got too focused on Emotions in ExAid and forgot to mention the really cool bits. Dan and Kiriya bugsterporting out of the room together was hella cool, and Dan dying what, 23 times to hold back Cronus was Bro As gently caress. He's such an rear end in a top hat but I will likely cry if/when he dies for real saving or protecting someone.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I am not happy with Ultraman Gaia.

I'll explain later, just, loving Christ what a limp dick show.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

I am not happy with Ultraman Gaia.

I'll explain later, just, loving Christ what a limp dick show.
I'm always fascinated to hear your breakdowns of shows I've never seen.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Burkion posted:

Gaia is sadly super formulaic in a very bad way. It has some fantastic monsters and effects, but the story is just one long bleh.

If you want something more serious, try Nexus.

If you want what basically led into Geed, Mebius.

I'm not yet ready for Nexus but I just watched the first two episodes of Mebius tonight and man that's some good toku. It's everything Gaia wasn't - it was interesting, it had heart, I didn't fall asleep during the fight sequences....

Also I am a massive sucker for an alien desperately trying to convince everyone to be friends and help him fight monsters. Like, gosh. That entire ship painting sequence was the very definition of :kimchi:

Also! I picked Kamen Rider W back up thanks to PMush Perfect and slogged through another episode - and to my surprise, it was good! It was really good! The Fang suit design is incredibly cool, the plot was fun, and instead of being frustrated or bored I was actually engaged with the show and excited to see Philip pull through a disaster and save his boyfriend partner!

(Pick one show and stick to it, I think, before I don't because I want to watch all of the toku all at once.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's easy to forget in retrospect, but there are some pretty rough patches to W. This won't be the last time you'll have to power through to get to the really good parts.

Edit Actually went ahead and updated my "Karate bugmans" summary post on the first page.

You know, the one that Literally The Worst still hasn't put in the OP.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 12, 2017

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That's definitely fair. I think he set a high bar for how powerful a sixth ranger is out of the gate though, that was a lot of explosions haha.

Him blowing up the giant spaceship without a mecha is a bit much, but without watching the first episode to refresh myself, the Kyurangers might've made a similarly explosive initial appearance before toning down to more reasonable levels.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

Him blowing up the giant spaceship without a mecha is a bit much, but without watching the first episode to refresh myself, the Kyurangers might've made a similarly explosive initial appearance before toning down to more reasonable levels.

Soldier cut down the huge one so it's a bit crazier, but while I can't remember how or when it happened, I'm pretty sure one of the Kyurangers has been thrown through a Consumarz to destroy it before so it's not unreasonable. They're none too tough, that one was just really freakin' big.

Speaking of toning down/development, I wasn't exactly sure what would happen to Stinger after his revenge arc was settled, but holy poo poo his adorkably awkward scene at the end of the new episode was perfect.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Soldier cut down the huge one so it's a bit crazier, but while I can't remember how or when it happened, I'm pretty sure one of the Kyurangers has been thrown through a Consumarz to destroy it before so it's not unreasonable. They're none too tough, that one was just really freakin' big.

Speaking of toning down/development, I wasn't exactly sure what would happen to Stinger after his revenge arc was settled, but holy poo poo his adorkably awkward scene at the end of the new episode was perfect.

It's great because Stinger is just Shadow the Hedgehog. We saw what would happen if Shadow got closure.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay.

We need to talk.

We need to talk about Ultraman Gaia.

Ultraman Gaia is a show that has some goddamn brilliant ideas and concepts, a fantastic prototype of at least two different excellent series, a wonderful test bed for things that would stay with the franchise for decades to come

Ultraman Gaia is a giant piece of poo poo.

Just, loving, okay. Okay. Here is the core problem with Ultraman Gaia. It has the general plot beats and attempts at epic heights of Ultraman Mebius, some concepts it has work on a similar wavelength as Ultraman Nexus

And has possibly an even safer dumbed down corners rounded non edge tone than loving Cosmos. Who is the carebear Ultraman.

Ultraman Gaia is the Refried Beans of a TV show. The comfort food of tokusatsu. Strap in for 51 episodes of banal safe safety, because nothing is going to loving happen and challenge anything you care about or love what so ever. Same poo poo every episode, with plots that verge on the disturbing if it didn't keep undermining itself and then having really stupid poo poo happen

Sentai has more dire consequences than Gaia. And Sentai is a kids show. And yes, in Japan, there is a huge difference between what Sentai is and what Ultraman is. Anyone who knows how anime works, they know that is the reason why Dragon Ball Super doesn't have the blood and more extreme stuff that Dragon Ball Z had. One was aired in the general family hour, like Ultraman, while Super airs alongside Sentai and Pokemon.

Ultraman is a family program, meaning it gets away with more poo poo than most other Toku TENDS to. Except, with Gaia, it really felt like they were trying to ease everyone into the ultra soft kid friendly as gently caress Cosmos where monsters are only for hugging and friendship.

Which really conflicts with the general design and, again, PLOTS AND TONE. Serious things happen, but then they're fine. Or they just get better. The most our heroes ever suffer are a few cuts, and that includes after self sacrificing themselves and their jet explodes around them.

But okay, so what. It's light and fluffy. Sure fine. The last series basically ended with the main hero dying, why not take a step back. Oh sure, one of the Ultramen hates humanity and views them as responsible for the destruction of the world, but why not work that into the loving friendship locker that this show apparently wants to be. Tone alone isn't enough to make a show bad. No, for that, you need something else.

How about a cast of, and I don't think I'm exaggerating here, near about 20 main characters? Not like, GranSazer, which only had 12 and juggled them expertly for the first 24 episodes

No, no, I mean 20 out the gate. Surely I am joking! No, No I'm really not. Of the defense team, of JUST THE PILOTS, the named characters we see almost every goddamn episode, we have FOUR teams of three people running around at all times, with at least one or two more auxiliary three man teams just in case.

This does not include the main loving character, the three, later two, later three again when one reappeared for the finale to eat up 10 minutes of screen time from the actual story, bridge crew, or the three military commanders of varying ranks- or the on again off again bosses for THEM.

This also does not include the main character's rival, the other Ultraman, his reporter girlfriend, her two hanger ons, their boss and the few people associated with them, the main character's MIT Friends, who are important and come up more than you would loving THINK DESPITE THERE BEING FOUR OF THEM WHAT THE gently caress, his PARENTS, SOME OTHER loving SCIENTIST GUY IN COOL GUY GLASSES, SOME AMERICAN gently caress OFF, and then at the last episode *EVERY SINGLE ONE OF TEH PILOTS GETS A NERD FRIEND THAT WE GET T OSEE TALKING WITH ONE ANOTHER FOR HALF OF THE GODDAMN EPISODE BECAUSE gently caress YOU IF YOU WANTED A BIG CLIMATIC FIGHT*

And that's not even ALL OF THE CHARACTERS. Those are just the important ones! Those are just the ones important enough to take up more time in the last episodes than THE MAIN CONFLICT AND FINAL VILLAIN.

And NONE of them are good. NONE of them are memorable. With a cast this gigantic, you'd think they'd be fodder, but no, they survive. They survive every single fight. No questions asked. Even if they shouldn't have, even if we SEE they don't, they survive.

And the worst thing is that they're all useless. None of them accomplish anything really notable. They are just there to eat up screen time and to ineffectually attack the MOTW and do nothing.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/ultraman-gaia/episode-45-the-living-planet-693649

If you must watch any episode of Gaia, please let it only be this one. This is everything great and good about Ultraman Gaia, with one of the best monsters it has, and one of my favorites in the whole franchise.

BlitzBlotz is one of the best MOTW period, from his design, to his style, to what he does.

He's the only one that feels like a threat, and he, better than even the final villain, embodies the best of Gaia and the themes of Gaia. Of the whole world coming together to fight an intelligent, powerful alien threat, humanity, Earth born Kaiju and Ultramen joining together to save the world.

BlitzBlotz is the herald of the end, in so many ways. In universe, he is the first Oh poo poo Things Are Getting Serious villain- and effectively the last one too!

And if you see more Gaia, you can see how this also embodies the WORST of Ultraman Gaia. It's just not done as lovely here. You won't even know it's poo poo until you see the other episodes in fact!

But this is getting away from the fact that Gaia is the worst kind of toothless. It wants to perform- it wants to make sweet tender love to you. But between a bloated to bursting cast, a bizarre tone/message/execution clash, and never quite making anything as dangerous or as challenging as it could have, without making our heroes total morons, it is simply unable to do anything but flaccidly lay there. Just not even able to get it half way to chubs town.

The only thing it has going for it in the end are looks. It has some of THE BEST monster suits in the entire franchise, and some excellent fights if you can get past everything else. Ultraman Gaia and Ultraman Agul have their own Ultraman Secret Handshake they do all of once after teaming up against two monsters and it's the most bro-est best thing I've ever seen and it ONLY HAPPENS ONCE.

If you want a better Gaia, with a similar tone, that pulls it off

Watch Mebius

If you want a better Gaia that is as dark as Gaia tried to be before backing the gently caress off?

Watch Nexus

If you want a better Gaia that is even more kid friendly and safe?

Watch Cosmos.

Here is the only thing from Gaia you ever need to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCUk-XaH6pQ

That.

That is it.

You are welcome.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Burk, one of these days I'm gonna collect your Toku effort posts and publish them. We'll be rich.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

And then LTW can not post that in the OP, either.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"light and fluffy" is not a description I expected to read of a Chiaki J. Konaka joint

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ex-Aid Spoilers:

https://twitter.com/gunsenkei/status/882960412194488321

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

"light and fluffy" is not a description I expected to read of a Chiaki J. Konaka joint

See, I wouldn't think you could say that here either

And then this bullshit happens. So like, the ultimate betrayal? One episode shows this massive super monster that is going to destroy the planet if it touches down, and everything is doomsday clock and all that.

The main commander is the last one left on their air base, besides Gaia himself. The commander knows Gamu is Gaia, for the record, and has known forever. So he uses the air base to force the monster into space, the monster cripples the ship to the point where there is no escape. Gaia transforms to try and kill the monster himself, so the commander doesn't suicide charge the thing.

Gets beaten immediately and captured by the monster.

So the Commander, with balls of steel, drives the air base into the monster's mouth before self destructing. The monster and the base go up in a blaze of glory, Gaia gets blown clear to safety, and the last we see of the commander is of him yelling in defiance as the explosion consumes him.

Next episode?

We get a replay of that scene, only that last bit? Doesn't happen. They literally redo the scene so that instead, Gaia swoops in and saves him, despite that being an AWESOME death that they had been building towards the entire loving episode. And if your'e wondering if this guy has any major role left in the story? Nope! They just didn't want to kill him to the point of out and out lying to the audience in the previous episode by showing us one thing, and then completely changing it in the next episode.

They don't even loving line up. In the next episode he never has the moment where he yells in defiance as the explosion over takes him- Gaia saves him before that even happens.

And then the most insulting thing?

They do basically the same thing AGAIN in the same goddamn episode! Jet dude sets off every death flag in the universe, has a tender moment with his girlfriend where he gives her a memento to hang onto until he returns, he's set up in every single way to die in a tragic but heroic way- DOES so, saves the day but his ship is loving blown to pieces and then crashes, complete with the memento falling to the ground out of her hands when it happens

And he's fine. He's just got like, three cuts on his face. He's not even saved by anyone, she finds him in the middle of the wreckage and he's just A-OK. He gets back to work in the next episode.

This loving show

It keeps attempting to be something with consequences and stakes

And then it keeps ice skating backwards on those consequences as fast as it loving can

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I wouldn't write that many words for a eulogy of a loved one

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

PMush Perfect posted:

It's easy to forget in retrospect, but there are some pretty rough patches to W. This won't be the last time you'll have to power through to get to the really good parts.

Edit Actually went ahead and updated my "Karate bugmans" summary post on the first page.

You know, the one that Literally The Worst still hasn't put in the OP.

You don't tell me what to do

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

John McClane posted:

I wouldn't write that many words for a eulogy of a loved one

I could write more don't you loving tempt me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
This thread gets way more posts than the US PR thread, so I'll just come here to say that the preview for October's MMPR comic has Zordon assembling teenagers with attitude hip cats who can dig it all the way back in 1969 to deal with a sudden crisis (probably caused by men on the moon, donchaknow). It's implied they'll wear the same old dinosaur suits so don't get your hopes up for an original design.

The interesting thing is the cover shows a bunch of giant footprints on the moon that are shaped rather like the green ranger symbol. Dragonzord's feet aren't actually shaped like that since it'd be difficult to stuff a suit actor's foot into that shape , but I doubt most people recognize that since I know I thought the symbol was a Godzilla-like footprint for the longest time. It certainly isn't Goldar, who has a better defined two-toed boot.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/PowerRangersNOW/status/885621535800791040

:gonk:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Uhhhhh....

Yeah. Just like that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just, absolutely everything in that is

loving Christ I hope they don't make another movie.

Just don't.

Just, make a super hero teen coming of age story but don't touch the Power Ranger stuff. Christ.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I mean I thought it was fine on-screen, I just didn't need to know the hidden subtext.

The sequel will probably get a different director anyway.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is the Megazord an orgy then

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You know if you want to read sexuality into Power Rangers, this is not the way to go about it.

Though I guess Lord Zedd's python that turns into a staff is a bit easy street.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
that tweet was deleted what the gently caress did it say.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

That movie Rita's relationship with Goldar was sensual and sexual.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Stallion Cabana posted:

quote:

“But what I love is that Rita loves [Goldar]. It’s almost as if he’s her child. And they have this symbiotic relationship where they each save each other, and she ultimately goes inside him. And for a long time I remember, we hadn’t figured this moment out – we didn’t know what Rita would be doing while Goldar and the Megazord were fighting each other. And then we came to this idea that she’ll be able to enter him in this very sensual and sexual way, which I like. Obviously that’s a part of the movie, this kind of sensuality that Rita brings. Because the movie is about teenagers, and adolescence, and puberty. And that’s a big part of it.”
– Director Dean Israelite

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I imagine if it was deleted it was made up

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Blockhouse posted:

I imagine if it was deleted it was made up

The article it linked to is still there.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

PMush Perfect posted:

That movie Rita's relationship with Goldar was sensual and sexual.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

If Stinger stays that adorkable while trying to maintain his edgy identity, he'll easily rise to Third best Kyuranger. Maybe even second

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
http://news.tokunation.com/2017/07/13/kamen-rider-build-q1-catalog-listings-online-42836

So, we're getting the Build toys in, and....

I was right, the gimmick is sports drinks

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Drinks that represent weapons/animals. Such as, uh, Vacuum/Rabbit.

https://twitter.com/SpecialForm12/status/885744037365460992
https://twitter.com/SpecialForm12/status/885760290176081920
https://twitter.com/SpecialForm12/status/885750859069607936

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wait a minute. Sports drinks. Turning gears gimmick. Find the best combination.

Oh my god, it's a pun. Build as in "create/engineer" but also as in "bodybuilding".

• Locked thread