Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I wish Caves of Qud had a better mouse interface but as it is it's completely unplayable with a mouse. It's something you should be getting from a modern roguelike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

I'm done for tonight, I almost died to some rear end in a top hat orc unique that kept disarming me after getting strength drained by a wight, but then the website crashed and it turned out nothing got saved so I guess I'll take it as a warning sign to stop while I'm ahead.

gwarl posted:

yeah and apparently the server's been crashing like clockwork whenever anyone sends a chat message all night
rip

whoops~

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Pvt.Scott posted:

The one life limit, carrying capacity, complex damage model and hunger/thirst/sleep meters really elevate this one. It even has water physics,realistic weather patterns, keeps track of countless particles and hundreds of billions of AI entities. The best part is the game is free and will run smoothly on just about anything you have lying around. The code is closed-source, but there's always people trying to crack into it.

Some of the actions and commands can be pretty complex and time/consuming, though, and boy howdy, that learning curve.

I spent too much time grinding for xp through lvls 30 - 34 and now i got that depression debuff........ But the good news is my feelings and empathy resists are maxed out!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

a star war betamax posted:

I spent too much time grinding for xp through lvls 30 - 34 and now i got that depression debuff........ But the good news is my feelings and empathy resists are maxed out!
The chance to shake that debuff naturally is actually incredibly low. I always recommend taking your character to a doctor rather than just trying to tough it out, the penalties for leaving it untreated are pretty harsh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PMush Perfect posted:

The chance to shake that debuff naturally is actually incredibly low. I always recommend taking your character to a doctor rather than just trying to tough it out, the penalties for leaving it untreated are pretty harsh.

Use potions, too! The cost/benefit of paying for 'em and using 'em to keep that debuff at bay is way worth it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Tangledeep has come a really long way since I first downloaded it. :allears:

e: Compare/contrast with some screenshots I took months ago:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Even the programmer art version still looks pretty good.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Tangledeep has come a really long way since I first downloaded it. :allears:

e: Compare/contrast with some screenshots I took months ago:

Yeaah this game looks incredible.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Okay this is a longshot, but Google has failed me and Android is still mysterious territory. Is there any obvious troubleshooting poo poo I should do to make Sproggiwood work? I get the Freehold logo then a black screen forever. My first assumption was phone too weak, but the only "system requirements" thing I could find said 1GB+ RAM and my phone claims to be 1.5.

Related: Favorite lunch break roguelikes? I'm not sure I'm willing to play IVAN where other people could theoretically see how much I love IVAN and most of my quick game go-to picks are bigger on flashing lights and sweet soundtracks than I want to deal with in an office.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Just an Ancient Red? C'mon, you can do better than that!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Irony.or.Death posted:

Related: Favorite lunch break roguelikes? I'm not sure I'm willing to play IVAN where other people could theoretically see how much I love IVAN and most of my quick game go-to picks are bigger on flashing lights and sweet soundtracks than I want to deal with in an office.

Doom the Roguelike for me

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Qud: I went to the bottom of Red Rock, finished the quest, saw a side route out of the map instead of going back up the stairs. Now I've been hopelessly lost in this endless underground cavern for a long-rear end time now. I ran across a salt kraken like 20 screens deep and got the gently caress away. Is there any chance of me getting out or is this character doomed to become a Morlock?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Doom the Roguelike for me

See this feels like the right answer, but playing it without sound seems wrong. Maybe if I find a way to bounce it to my Bluetooth headphones, they're pretty unobtrusive...

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

Qud: I went to the bottom of Red Rock, finished the quest, saw a side route out of the map instead of going back up the stairs. Now I've been hopelessly lost in this endless underground cavern for a long-rear end time now. I ran across a salt kraken like 20 screens deep and got the gently caress away. Is there any chance of me getting out or is this character doomed to become a Morlock?

If you don't object to cheating your way out then you can bind NoClipUp to something and reach the surface that way. Otherwise you need to keep searching for some stairs up.

While I love the sprawling underground in Qud, I wish stairs up were generated a little more often since without a recaller it can be very hard to find your way back.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

General Emergency posted:

I wish Caves of Qud had a better mouse interface but as it is it's completely unplayable with a mouse. It's something you should be getting from a modern roguelike.

Did you turn on the overlay ui? Not done, but quite a lot of the game is totally mousable with it.

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Haha you're way doomed. Which is a shame, since that side route you found actually leads straight back to the starting town if you follow the river. It's a really sad way to lose a character, so don't feel too bad if you wanna use the debug commands for noclipping your way up to ground level.

edit: or if you see a crazy spiralling vortex you could jump in and see where it leads to, that's a fun way to escape when it works

A Bad Place fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 13, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah that's a really boring way to die and you're exactly one quest away from getting an item that makes that problem obsolete for the rest of your character's life. I'm generally pretty purist about these things but if you're gonna cheat, that's one of the two times I'd say go ahead and do it. (The other being when an essential quest NPC dies as soon as they're generated, or generates as a non-speaking species.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Irony.or.Death posted:

Okay this is a longshot, but Google has failed me and Android is still mysterious territory. Is there any obvious troubleshooting poo poo I should do to make Sproggiwood work? I get the Freehold logo then a black screen forever. My first assumption was phone too weak, but the only "system requirements" thing I could find said 1GB+ RAM and my phone claims to be 1.5.
I don't know but the devs post here so hey unormal/handofluke, fix this guy's poo poo :shobon:

(because it's a great game and he should be able to play it! but also sorry for assuming your gender, poster.)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't know but the devs post here so hey unormal/handofluke, fix this guy's poo poo :shobon:

(because it's a great game and he should be able to play it! but also sorry for assuming your gender, poster.)

Didn't see this originally, what device is it? Phone is too weak to handle it is probably the answer, but if you tell me what phone it is I can probably tell you what, specifically is too weak :D

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Unormal posted:

Didn't see this originally, what device is it? Phone is too weak to handle it is probably the answer, but if you tell me what phone it is I can probably tell you what, specifically is too weak :D

Wow, way to assume the gender of the phone.....

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tollymain posted:

how difficult would it be to mod an ai setting in conquest of elysium that steps up the ladder as factions are eliminated

impossible, coe4 modding is a dark art and you only have access to units, spells, rituals, terrain, and other stuff that's actually on the map

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I finally got over CoE4's UI and general clunkiness only to realize I don't like it very much as a game. :(

It's depressingly simple; the combination of random leader recruitment and leaders being the ONLY way to move troops around was a really bad decision; the seasonal changes to income often end up just meaning the game slows to a crawl in the winter; most factions seem stuck on a spectrum where either they take too much tedious micromanagement or they practically play themselves with no happy medium.

I will say that the AI actually seems pretty solid for a game of this type, which is especially surprising coming from the Illwinter guys -- usually that's the weakest part of their games. But mostly I just found myself wishing I were playing Warlords 3 instead (and that it didn't take literal black magic to install that game on Windows 10, goddamn.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 13, 2017

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Unormal posted:

It is a BLU Studio Energy 2, which in the likely event you've never heard of it before claims 1.5 GB ram/ quad-core 1300 MHz AArch64 rev3/16 GB ROM. That is all the hardware info it wants to share with me and I will not be shocked if half the ram is busy sending my browsing habits to China, but at least I'm not paying for my own coverage!

Thanks for taking the time to personally diagnose its failings, I really appreciate it even if the first choice was pumpkin bombs at lunch. In thanks I have traveled back in time to preemptively buy all your games in desktop form.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Irony.or.Death posted:

It is a BLU Studio Energy 2, which in the likely event you've never heard of it before claims 1.5 GB ram/ quad-core 1300 MHz AArch64 rev3/16 GB ROM. That is all the hardware info it wants to share with me and I will not be shocked if half the ram is busy sending my browsing habits to China, but at least I'm not paying for my own coverage!

Thanks for taking the time to personally diagnose its failings, I really appreciate it even if the first choice was pumpkin bombs at lunch. In thanks I have traveled back in time to preemptively buy all your games in desktop form.

E-mail me your google play e-mail at unormal at gmail and I'll hook you up with a beta APK you can try.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

a star war betamax posted:

Craigslists ads and meeting people after work in an abandoned parking garage

too many foocubi in that one, it gets annoying

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I prefer gaming the mental health subsystems. I'm trying a really messed up brain build right now. Doing normal poo poo is twice as hard, but kinda at random at with this character. It's made dungeon crawling and grinding a real shitshow. The xp isn't even any better. Who balanced this poo poo?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 2, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Holy poo poo I actually managed to escape from the Qud undergrounds (at level 10!) after idly playing on and off all day.

Thanks for your posts mentioning that there was a way out, I managed to stumble back across the Waterlogged Tunnel and then followed it for what seemed like ages before I found the legendary snapjaw at the end next to some stairs leading back up to Joppa.

Definitely never doing that again! If that happens again I'm just gonna take your advice and cheat my way back to the surface.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I finally got over CoE4's UI and general clunkiness only to realize I don't like it very much as a game. :(

It's depressingly simple; the combination of random leader recruitment and leaders being the ONLY way to move troops around was a really bad decision; the seasonal changes to income often end up just meaning the game slows to a crawl in the winter; most factions seem stuck on a spectrum where either they take too much tedious micromanagement or they practically play themselves with no happy medium.

I will say that the AI actually seems pretty solid for a game of this type, which is especially surprising coming from the Illwinter guys -- usually that's the weakest part of their games. But mostly I just found myself wishing I were playing Warlords 3 instead (and that it didn't take literal black magic to install that game on Windows 10, goddamn.)

i've been too lazy to implement it but i think a half-costs mod would do a lot to make it better

i like coe4 a lot but the pace kills me, the game would be way cooler if every faction could get like 5 or 6 top level stacks out on the field feasibly

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Angry Diplomat posted:

I... ended up forgetting about it entirely :stare: life got a bit crazy and I guess it just got left by the wayside. poo poo, I should start tinkering with that again. Time to refamiliarize myself with the modding stuff again, I guess!

e: drat, I really made some thorough preliminary notes about the ritual structure and modding terminology when I was planning this out. This might be easier to get back into than I thought.

:toot: I've made my contribution to the betterment of humanity for the week.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jazerus posted:

i've been too lazy to implement it but i think a half-costs mod would do a lot to make it better

i like coe4 a lot but the pace kills me, the game would be way cooler if every faction could get like 5 or 6 top level stacks out on the field feasibly

imo youd probably want to tune it to about 1.25-1.5 and make the normal movement speed of units 4

maybe find a way to segregate ritual summons that are slow as well

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Unormal posted:

E-mail me your google play e-mail at unormal at gmail and I'll hook you up with a beta APK you can try.

Let the record show that Unormal is a cool guy who fixed everything and enabled my suicide by jelly.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Irony.or.Death posted:

Let the record show that Unormal is a cool guy who fixed everything and enabled my suicide by jelly.

Did he enable the triple goldfish spawn in your version? I bet he gets the last laugh.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I've played a lot of Nethack and a bit of Sil (and am bad at both), what newer and exciting roguelikes should I try at this point?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

I've played a lot of Nethack and a bit of Sil (and am bad at both), what newer and exciting roguelikes should I try at this point?

There's like a half-dozen "what roguelike should I play" posts in the last N pages, N<10. Just read the backscroll a bit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
as always, play DCSS and Qud and Sproggiwood and Dungeonmans and Tangledeep and...

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

as always, play DCSS and Qud and Sproggiwood and Dungeonmans and Tangledeep and...

ToME4

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Doom RL.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

oh yeah played a bit of that too

Wasn't sure if some of the big names in the OP were still recommended over newer things that may have come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
You could also go back to those oldschool roots and try out some of the variants in the sprawling Angband family:

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Maybe this has already been posted, but for anyone wanting a low-effort way to try the spankin' new version of Angband as well as a bunch of variants (including some old ones like ToME 2, Steamband, Zangband, along with newer ones like Sil and PosChengband), there's now a common server hosting a bunch of these now playable online, complete with spectating and chat. So far there's not been much traffic and the chat extends across all active games. Still a little buggy but the person who's making this is putting a lot of time into fixing things, and also chasing down more old variants to add.

http://angband.live/

Oook forum thread for this is here:

Full list of variants so far: Angband 4.1.0, FAAngband 1.4.4, Hellband 0.8.7, NPPangband 7.1.0, NPPMoria 7.1.0, Oangband 1.1.0u, Sangband 1.0.0, Sil 1.3.0, Steamband 0.4.1f, ToME 2.3.6ah, Unangband 6.5.0a, Zangband 2.7.5pre1, PosChengband 6.1.0b, UMoria 5.6

e: updated variants