Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
It's nice and catchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Trent does something radically different with NTAE: Everyone bitches

Trent does something familiar with this: Everyone bitches

The Itchy and Scratchy marketing survey was true.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

New song is good poo poo.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I liked it a lot, actually. I definitely would have preferred something more further evolved from NTAE than going backwards, but it's not a bad version of going backwards. Got me to spring for the $50 set, at least

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove
I really don't care for the cover art. at all. NIN always has some of the best art, and the abstract stuff really is a good representation of the music in almost every case. this looks really corny, to be honest

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I blame Twin Peaks, this is a The Nine Inch Nails album

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

pfs Write posted:

I really don't care for the cover art. at all. NIN always has some of the best art, and the abstract stuff really is a good representation of the music in almost every case. this looks really corny, to be honest

All the random art that came with the Ghosts special edition are still in rotation as desktop wallpapers. Got a few YZ ones in there too.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I love the art on this one, it's hilarious

although now that I type that out, I realize that may not be the intended response

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Anyone wanna have a go at gif-izing (SHUT UP) from the video appearing and exploding?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Overbite posted:

This sounds so much like modern NIN it's almost a parody

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xg-Wk2DEXs

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

Oh neat! I assumed it was custom-made for the music video, but I guess they just overlaid the lyrics in a similar style to the actual game?
Minter put together a custom PC version of the game for the video that allowed the director to script and manipulate things like text and visual effects.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think Weird Al nailed it too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqdAxikAv0o

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fun fact the very first time I heard NIN was in one of Weird Al's Alternative Polkas (I think it was the first one even) when he did Closer. IIRC the word "gently caress" was replaced by, among other things, a cartoon boing noise, a slide whistle and a cartoon "slipping on a banana peel" noise.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Overbite posted:

This sounds so much like modern NIN it's almost a parody

imo it just sounds phoned in

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
i don't care what you naysayers say, i'm happy rhyming dictionary trent is back

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Call Me Charlie posted:

That's my only complaint with this track, I wish he had an editor who could just underline that poo poo and tell him to try again. This would be a serious jam if it wasn't for the very up-front and very phoned-in lyrics IMO.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

repeating posted:

Spotted. Trent's favorite noise again at 2:46 the wailing klaxon guitar drone he's twisted all kinds of sounds into since The Fragile.

So I guess I mean Robin Finck?

:3

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMy3nDaUfx0

I'm the avenged sevenfold poster

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Call Me Charlie posted:

So what are you waiting for!
You got what you asked for!
:getin:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Minidust posted:

So what are you waiting for!
You got what you asked for!
I'll never understand how the lyrics don't seem to go through any refinement process, but maybe years ago, admitting his own flaws, Trent decided to take an Occam's razer to the whole thing and just leave them simple. C'mon tho bro

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

TR's a pop artist you guys.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Trent Reznor has never had great lyrics, and this comes up constantly in here.

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Vince MechMahon posted:

Trent Reznor has never had great lyrics, and this comes up constantly in here.

Every album has its cringe inducing lines but I think he's got some good ones as well, though its been down hill since YZ.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
Count me in the "I like this more than anything from NTAE" camp, but something's been bugging me since getting NTAE and such. If Atticus and Mariqueen are now just officially part of NIN, what makes NIN different from HTDA? To me, it just feels like HTDA was a completely marketing failure, so they finally gave up and said, "gently caress it, let's just capitalize on the NIN name." I dunno. I think I'm part of the minority who actually liked some HTDA stuff, and if Less Than had been the lead single for Welcome Oblivion, they might've actually gone somewhere with that. Hell, it even has that as a lyric, so it could very well be a cast-off track from earlier.

Sort of unrelated but still awesome, now that NIN stuff is popping back up in my YouTube suggestions, I'd like to remind everyone that this happened almost exactly 8 years ago today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qlUFKFHNIU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

[quote="“Stryder”" post="“474350653”"]
Count me in the “I like this more than anything from NTAE” camp, but something’s been bugging me since getting NTAE and such. If Atticus and Mariqueen are now just officially part of NIN, what makes NIN different from HTDA? To me, it just feels like HTDA was a completely marketing failure, so they finally gave up and said, “gently caress it, let’s just capitalize on the NIN name.” I dunno. I think I’m part of the minority who actually liked some HTDA stuff, and if Less Than had been the lead single for Welcome Oblivion, they might’ve actually gone somewhere with that. Hell, it even has that as a lyric, so it could very well be a cast-off track from earlier.
[/quote]Mariqueen isn’t a member of NIN. Atticus is officially now (has been since NTAE came out), but Mariqueen just did guest vocals on NTAE. I loved HTDA but Mariqueen was lead vocalist there and it was different stylistically from NIN. The Less Than video instantly reminded me of HTDA’s artwork, but I think that’s just Rob Sheridan’s visual style honestly.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Stryder posted:

Count me in the "I like this more than anything from NTAE" camp, but something's been bugging me since getting NTAE and such. If Atticus and Mariqueen are now just officially part of NIN, what makes NIN different from HTDA? To me, it just feels like HTDA was a completely marketing failure, so they finally gave up and said, "gently caress it, let's just capitalize on the NIN name." I dunno. I think I'm part of the minority who actually liked some HTDA stuff, and if Less Than had been the lead single for Welcome Oblivion, they might've actually gone somewhere with that. Hell, it even has that as a lyric, so it could very well be a cast-off track from earlier.

Sort of unrelated but still awesome, now that NIN stuff is popping back up in my YouTube suggestions, I'd like to remind everyone that this happened almost exactly 8 years ago today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qlUFKFHNIU

Yeah, I was there for that. Place went mental (doubly so when the riff to Cars started).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This was always my favorite cover they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w56PUnVRYR0

(2006? jesus)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Speaking of Gary Numan, I've been following the PledgeMusic updates for his new album 'Savage', and it's shaping up really nicely.

Kelp Me! posted:

I really like this. Really strong With Teeth/YZ vibes off of it.
I'm feeling kind of a Hesitation Marks beat with YZ's noisy grit.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That video made me pull the trigger and buy Polybus and it is really crazy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This isn't my favorite type of NIN song, but I think out of the songs he's done in this mode, it's one of the best. I think it helps that it's actually about something fairly specific (even if the lyrics aren't revelatory). Whereas something like "Came Back Haunted" is about... being Trent Reznor I guess?

The audio does seem oddly muffled though. I don't know if that's just the way the video is for some reason? Or if I somehow downloaded it at low quality? But typically YouTube is pretty reliable for audio quality these days...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I view Trent/NIN as a musical force that has split into two branches. There's the main, album-releasing, standalone branch. Then there's the videogame/film score branch, which consistently does high-quality, haunting stuff that's always evolving.

The standalone branch evolved as well, but differently. I don't mind where it is right now, because he's one of the few that sounds like it, and he really does do it the best. :colbert:

Would I like more Mr Self Destruct/A Warm Place (Crystal Japan :smug:)/The Day The World Went Away? Sure, and I kind of feel I get some of that from his film scores.

And I know it's 10 years old now, but who else released anything like Ghosts?

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
N/A

BobbyHeenanTinyHat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 27, 2018

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't mind the concept of making music similar to one has made before. but this song is similar mostly to the side of NIN that I dislike rather than the side I like (Came Back Haunted is one of my least favorite NIN songs). I thought NTAE was good, but I'd also be happy if he went back to the direction of Ghosts. this song is just kind of blah

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Earwicker posted:

I don't mind the concept of making music similar to one has made before. but this song is similar mostly to the side of NIN that I dislike rather than the side I like (Came Back Haunted is one of my least favorite NIN songs). I thought NTAE was good, but I'd also be happy if he went back to the direction of Ghosts. this song is just kind of blah

Oh, yeah, this is totally 'Came Back Haunted Again, You Guys', I will admit that.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Came Back Haunted Came Back (Not A Copy Of A Copy Do Not Steal)

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
I really like the welcome oblivion lyric. What a bop! I'm excited for the rest of the EP :]

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

One thing I really do like is how NIN has evolved into a more collaborative process. I think With Teeth was the first album where Trent really allowed others into the collaborative process, and the music shines for it IMO. I'm stoked that Atticus is considered a permanent part of the band now, and I've always liked that a lot of the recent core group (Robin, Josh/Ilan, Allesandro and to a slightly lesser extent Justin Johnson) seem to have a degree of creative control over the music rather than just being touring musicians, etc.

I used to worry about the whole "NIN is maybe done" thing, but even at the time Trent was doing the HTDA stuff and the film scores. A similar thing happened with Porcupine Tree who are one of my favorite bands; they went on indefinite hiatus in like 2009, but Steven Wilson has consistently put out fantastic solo albums that just happen to sound very like Porcupine Tree, so it worked out OK. Come to think of it, there's a lot of similarities, since Porcupine Tree was for a long time basically Steven Wilson's solo project before adding in a permanent lineup, which really helped the music expand and grow.

e: drat, the more I think about it the more similarities between the 2 bands there are. Both feature keyboard players who were well-respected in their own right before joining, drummers that are well-known for playing with other really famous bands...drat :tinfoil:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 14, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Kelp Me! posted:

One thing I really do like is how NIN has evolved into a more collaborative process. I think With Teeth was the first album where Trent really allowed others into the collaborative process, and the music shines for it IMO. I'm stoked that Atticus is considered a permanent part of the band now, and I've always liked that a lot of the recent core group (Robin, Josh/Ilan, Allesandro and to a slightly lesser extent Justin Johnson) seem to have a degree of creative control over the music rather than just being touring musicians, etc.

I used to worry about the whole "NIN is maybe done" thing, but even at the time Trent was doing the HTDA stuff and the film scores. A similar thing happened with Porcupine Tree who are one of my favorite bands; they went on indefinite hiatus in like 2009, but Steven Wilson has consistently put out fantastic solo albums that just happen to sound very like Porcupine Tree, so it worked out OK. Come to think of it, there's a lot of similarities, since Porcupine Tree was for a long time basically Steven Wilson's solo project before adding in a permanent lineup, which really helped the music expand and grow.

e: drat, the more I think about it the more similarities between the 2 bands there are. Both feature keyboard players who were well-respected in their own right before joining, drummers that are well-known for playing with other really famous bands...drat :tinfoil:

You know, it's been years since I've actually gotten into new (to me) music, and Spotify showed me Porcupine Tree. I am now A Fan(tm), and really enjoy them/him. I haven't heard nearly everything, but practically all that I've heard I enjoy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

You know, it's been years since I've actually gotten into new (to me) music, and Spotify showed me Porcupine Tree. I am now A Fan(tm), and really enjoy them/him. I haven't heard nearly everything, but practically all that I've heard I enjoy.

They are absolutely fantastic. A general rule of thumb is the more recent the release, the heavier it's going to be. The early stuff is very psychedelic, the middle stuff is more straight-up prog rock, and the newer stuff leaned a little towards the heavier side. IMo the best representations of each period are Up the Downstair for the early stuff, In Absentia or Stupid Dream for the middle, and Fear of a Blank Planet for the later stuff.
Also highly recommend the solo stuff, it's a little more stripped-down and proggy but still fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBjD8QFtleM (also if you know who Guthrie Govan is that's him on guitar there)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kelp Me! posted:

I think this actually started a bit in The Fragile.

Never forget that Dr Dre mixed Even Deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I think this actually started a bit in The Fragile.

Never forget that Dr Dre mixed Even Deeper.

I guess it depends on what one considers collaborating. From a production standpoint he's been collaborating since PHM. While the demos are pretty much 100% Reznor, the songs don't really start to shine until he worked with folks like Flood. Based on http://www.nin.wiki/The_Fragile_(halo)#Alan_Moulder_on_Songwriting it sounds like Moulder was quite involved with TF. On the other hand, excluding Ghosts, NTAE was the first album where Reznor shared the writing credits.