Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autech
Jun 6, 2008

The Brazilian Legkick Machine

monkeytennis posted:

Oh dear.

Fernando Alonso's McLaren faces Silverstone grid penalties

:negative:

http://bbc.in/2tjc6Hd

"Alonso and team-mate Stoffel Vandoorne had already amassed a total of 110 grid-place penalties even before the Silverstone weekend as Honda struggles to get to grips with F1 technology."

Maaan!? That is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm no longer surprised.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So here's my thing. The 2016 engine, while underpowered compared to Mercedes, Red Bull, and Ferrari, was at least powerful enough to secure regular points and not blow up. Hell, Stoffel made points filling in for Nando in his first race. I understand the need for the split turbo, but good gods this is bad.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Honda is so loving bad

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Honda is so loving bad

I really don't get it though. How is HPD doing so well yet Honda of Japan so terrible? Like, they scored PENSKE for their DPi project. That's a huge deal. Michael Shank is taking the NSXes to the top step in IMSA's GTD class (GT3). Their Indy engine has enough power in it that it managed to defeat the Penskes at Road America, a track where they weren't just expected to win, but take the first four spots wholesale.

And you look at their F1 effort and wonder what went wrong.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Are you able to add "and Honda" at the end of the thread title?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

You Am I posted:

Are you able to add "and Honda" at the end of the thread title?

You tell me.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

I really don't get it though. How is HPD doing so well yet Honda of Japan so terrible? Like, they scored PENSKE for their DPi project. That's a huge deal. Michael Shank is taking the NSXes to the top step in IMSA's GTD class (GT3). Their Indy engine has enough power in it that it managed to defeat the Penskes at Road America, a track where they weren't just expected to win, but take the first four spots wholesale.

Honda Indy also apparently found and fixed the issue they had leading up to and at Indianapolis.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

iospace posted:

Did F1's equiv of Crapwagon die or something?

Autosport boards look like they're still kicking so no.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Honda Indy also apparently found and fixed the issue they had leading up to and at Indianapolis.

Yup! While powering Scott Dixon to the top step at Road America no less.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The world's most boring racer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not to mention Honda motorcycles have been competitive in top level bike racing for like 30 years straight. I hope Kevin Cameron lives long enough to write a book with insider knowledge about the tragic and laughable Honda F1 development 2015-2017

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
HRC and HPD are separate divisions.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Get the MotoGP Honda guys to do the F1 engine. They seem to know what they're actually doing and can build engines that can survive cartwheeling down the road a a couple hundred kph. Couldn't do worse than the current dudes in charge.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
They let the Motorcycle guy design the 2007 and 2008 cars and look how that turned out.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Palmer somehow fails to finish an iPhone game

(that reaction game)

Obviously Verstappen wins given equal equipment.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

They let the Motorcycle guy design the 2007 and 2008 cars and look how that turned out.

Yeah they pulled out just as they came up with a winning chassis.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I remember it gave Brundle a huge self righteous boner which he tugged for
months to anyone that cared.

To be fair to Brundle though, he had been on about recovery vehicles/marshalls in runoff areas for like 20 years.

Ofcourse there were 2 big factors in play during Bianchi's incident, the other being that up till that race a yellow flag did not mean 'slow down and drive cautiously', it meant 'drive almost as fast as you were, just make sure its a tenth or two slower.'

Call me a heartless bastard who wants drivers to die if you must, but I really don't like the halo/shield idea at all. If the FIA properly police yellow flags and car recovery, I think the current risk (very low) of head damage is acceptable.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Carth Dookie posted:

Get the MotoGP Honda guys to do the F1 engine. They seem to know what they're actually doing and can build engines that can survive cartwheeling down the road a a couple hundred kph. Couldn't do worse than the current dudes in charge.

It's also a nigh-unrideable firebreathing beast at the moment. I mean, I guess that's better than, "We tested one cylinder in isolation, that's a wrap, right?"...but only marginally.

That said, HRC is definitely doing more right more consistently than HPD.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I think Alonso would steer the car with his unrelenting erection to a WDC if the motor in the back of his car was as comparatively reliable and powerful as Marcquez's Honda, twitchiness be damned.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The only real knock on HPD in recent years was the Indy aerokit, which is hot garbage compared to Chevy's.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Carth Dookie posted:

I think Alonso would steer the car with his unrelenting erection to a WDC if the motor in the back of his car was as comparatively reliable and powerful as Marcquez's Honda, twitchiness be damned.
The Honda must have some issues if Marky Mark can't win races with it, he's basically the fastest guy ever to sit on a thing. But to be fair it's been a strange season so far, the most competitive bikes seem to be last year's Yamaha and last year's Ducati.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Marc's problem seems to be the tyres. Specifically the front. He can't seem to pull up sideways like he normally does and the lack of feel is causing crashes (because like gently caress he'd slow down just because he's uncertain about what's going to happen when he grabs the anchors obviously). He seems to be getting better though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

iospace posted:

So here's my thing. The 2016 engine, while underpowered compared to Mercedes, Red Bull, and Ferrari, was at least powerful enough to secure regular points and not blow up. Hell, Stoffel made points filling in for Nando in his first race. I understand the need for the split turbo, but good gods this is bad.

The issue is that the 2016 concept essentially relied on the turbo turning faster than the other engines. They put a limit on the max rpm for the turbos this year, so even if they wanted to go back to the 2016 engine it'd produce less power than last year and be a dead end development wise.

Edit: *Peter Windsor, practically in tears* "Why won't the media recognize all the things Lewis does do for the fans??"

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 14, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Jesus loving christ, since when did the worst thread turn into conspiracy theory central? Leave that poo poo at the tin foil hat sites.

You need to free your mind bro.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iospace posted:

The only real knock on HPD in recent years was the Indy aerokit, which is hot garbage compared to Chevy's.

Their last P2 car was also aerodynamically garbage.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

iospace posted:

Penske is the funniest name ever to me. I thought about buying a t-shirt of them.
But then again, walking around in Flanders with something that says 'little blood sausage' might be a bit weird.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
When I think of Penske I always think of Seinfeld and George working on the Penske file. But there is some tenuous link there because Jerry Seinfeld is a massive Porsche fan irl.

After searching apparently he owned a Penske liveried 917 and a 718 driven by Penske, which is cool as h*ck.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I don't think I can take crofty this weekend banging on and on about Lewis while they roll out Hill and his horrible opinions, C4 it is.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to watch any F1 this weekend because I hate british people and I hope every british and australian person dies the most bruatl death ever.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
So, the shield system looks neat, but how will they keep it clean? Tearoffs for pitstops (not ideal considering how few pitstops there are in F1 and if the track conditions are dusty/dirty and or rainy), a mantatory wiper system...?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Falken posted:

So, the shield system looks neat, but how will they keep it clean? Tearoffs for pitstops (not ideal considering how few pitstops there are in F1 and if the track conditions are dusty/dirty and or rainy), a mantatory wiper system...?

Very carefully haha

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Jenson's going to be on C4 for this weekend.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Falken posted:

As far as rain is concerned, I think the cars will be going fast enough for it to not be a problem - they deal with rain on their visors well enough

I think the FIA need to bring along a large bridge to every race, this bridge sits across the track and blasts out water from high pressure jets - insta-clean every lap!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

learnincurve posted:

Jenson's going to be on C4 for this weekend.

Sounds terrible, who'd want to watch that shithouse.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

enri posted:

As far as rain is concerned, I think the cars will be going fast enough for it to not be a problem - they deal with rain on their visors well enough

I think the FIA need to bring along a large bridge to every race, this bridge sits across the track and blasts out water from high pressure jets - insta-clean every lap!

Easy there, Bernie.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

enri posted:

Bernie foresaw this years ago, this is his sprinkler system's real purpose.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vettel didnt even do one lap on the stupid thing. A vote of confidence if i ever saw one.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

ok which one of you is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Kilmers Elbow posted:

ok which one of you is this?

Scroto Turbosperg by the looks of it.