Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mors Rattus posted:

Dark Eras 2 has funded, taking 20 hours or so to raise that last 200 dollars.

I'm calling it - it will end before it hits a stretch goal.

I will make the books claim that they can get $5k more in 22 days.

Rand Brittain posted:

Isn't that kind of unprecedented for an Onyx Path kickstarter? Usually they hit their opening goal within the first day.

I think so. I didn't pay attention to the first Dark Eras campaign. Did it do relatively poorly? Maybe core books are where it's at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I think Swedracula's antics are hitting their bottom line tbh.
That and there's undoubtedly some people who feel burned by Beast: the Edgelording being a giant pile of rear end.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Dark Eras was really successful, funding wise. It got loads of stretch goals and the scope of the project was massively expanded.

And due to that, it took a lot longer to deliver than was promised. I can't help but think that has something to do with people's reluctance for this one.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That Old Tree posted:

I will make the books claim that they can get $5k more in 22 days.

I think so. I didn't pay attention to the first Dark Eras campaign. Did it do relatively poorly? Maybe core books are where it's at?

Oh hey, they lowered that to 45, rather than 55. They might actually make it now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Yawgmoth posted:

That and there's undoubtedly some people who feel burned by Beast: the Edgelording being a giant pile of rear end.

Yeah the fact that Beast is even there in these big all-line projects kind of kills my enthusiasm for them.

I'm still looking forward to the Crossover Chronicle stuff (if it ever happens) but the same problem still applies.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 13, 2017

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It's probably a combination of Swedracula, people boycotting White Wolf because of hiring decisions, Beast being a steaming turd, and Dark Eras 1 being incredibly slow to fulfill due to stretch goal over-commitment.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They took down and have re-posted the Golden Age of Piracy line poll "with increased security" because apparently someone was ballot-stuffing.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

So this is the current, accurate vote count? http://theonyxpath.com/dark-eras-poll/

What were they stuffing for?

I like Geist, but how is it winning that poll?

Beast has 4% of that vote. Who are these people.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
It's not just erasing cookies and voting repeatedly, it's getting others to vote who aren't backing (members of gaming party or friends/family) or voting on other IPs you might have access to. So if you like Beast, you get your partner to vote on their computer and maybe do it at your workplace as well.

The first Kickstarter did pretty well but I've seen some people saying they're just going to wait until it's done and buy the individual chapters. The individual gameline pledges accounted for 94 backers in the first one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I like Geist, but how is it winning that poll?

Yeah, that's baffling, but sure, what the hell. Pirate ghosts sounds cool.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, that's baffling, but sure, what the hell. Pirate ghosts sounds cool.

I voted Geist because I thought of Cervantes from Soul Calibur and he's pretty cool.

Otherwise I might've gone with vampire just because of the discussion in this thread about pirate vampires.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I voted Mage, because the first Mage: the Awakening game I ran was set in the Golden Age of Piracy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I voted Mage, because the first Mage: the Awakening game I ran was set in the Golden Age of Piracy.

I voted Mage because it's first past the post and there was no way Demon was gonna make it. :v:

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
It might just be people going "ooh, ghost ships". Which, you know, fair enough. Though I have to say such overwhelming support for a fairly marginal game line seems a bit odd. Does Geist have a lot of fans who just don't talk about it all that much?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I voted Mage because I'm running Mage and any extra official material makes me happy and makes my game better.

Plus Pirate Wizards are a key component of my favourite fantasy series.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
it's top two right? because Geist and Mage are runaways right now.

e:

Terrorforge posted:

It might just be people going "ooh, ghost ships". Which, you know, fair enough. Though I have to say such overwhelming support for a fairly marginal game line seems a bit odd. Does Geist have a lot of fans who just don't talk about it all that much?

I like Geist a lot, my only problem is that it just doesn't have enough to really work with. I'm excitedly waiting for 2e in the hopes that it makes the game a bit more meaty.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

I voted Mage because I'm running Mage and any extra official material makes me happy and makes my game better.

Plus Pirate Wizards are a key component of my favourite fantasy series.

Pirate Wizards have to be very careful about causing Parrot-dox.

e: the villains of Pirate Wizard line are, of course, the Exarrrrrrchs

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TBF, one of the least offensive Beast characters was a little kid who snuck aboard a merchant vessel.

Also TBF, one of the worst Beast characters was the sexy snake who ascended to godhood because his soul hosed the titanic to death.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Also TBF, one of the worst Beast characters was the sexy snake who ascended to godhood because his soul hosed the titanic to death.

what

I mean it's Beast but

what

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It is weird to me that Mummy is a part of these. I can't see them bringing it into line with the new editions anytime soon (if ever)

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It is weird to me that Mummy is a part of these. I can't see them bringing it into line with the new editions anytime soon (if ever)

They're probably going after Geist. It's the only one that doesn't have a second edition done or in some form of being done right now. A safer idea might be to just have some easy rules update that won't require years of time and effort rewriting the setting information. Though they might want to rewrite the setting information I've no idea.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Kurieg posted:

TBF, one of the worst Beast characters was the sexy snake who ascended to godhood because his soul hosed the titanic to death.

You take that back, Sexy Snake Man who just sits around doing occasional tidal waves to this small coastal town and won't shut up about how he was the one responsible for the Titanic a century ago is amazing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pirate Wizards have to be very careful about causing Parrot-dox.

e: the villains of Pirate Wizard line are, of course, the Exarrrrrrchs

Boooooo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yes, we get it, Geist is winning.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

:golfclap:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm hoarding my kickstarter money for Deviants: the Guyvering.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

what

I mean it's Beast but

what

The timeline and details are incredibly unclear, but the implication is either that his horror somehow physically manifested and sunk the titanic while he was sleeping and hungry. Or he inherited the horror that sunk the titanic, and the realization of this instantly incarnated him.

Oh, right.

Kurieg posted:

Sexy Snake man there is an Incarnate because his Horror somehow sunk the titanic before his devouring, once he found this out he spontaneously incarnated. He's got presence 8 and ludicrous amounts of armor/defense but basically zero actual combat skills beyond raw strength. (No dots in brawl, weaponry, firearms, low dex, etc).

As for what you're supposed to do with Sexy Snake? Basically the only way the plot hooks have to get him involved is if you somehow force the plot to go to the town where he's set up shop, or if you somehow come into possession of part of his collection. And I do mean "town", it's basically a fishing town that's popular in the summer for the beach, and he regularly kills people with storms to remind them to respect the water, but he's content with the way things are and fairly established in his Myth so he's got no reason to hurt the PCs except in service/defense of his Myth.

And while I'm posting poo poo from my timeline, I feel the need to point this out, again. Because this is hilarious and dumb.

Kurieg posted:

The insatiables special insatiable only powers are called Esurients

Hungries

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
Y'know, I showed that art to an artist friend of mine a while back and she about went apoplectic at how lazy the actual composition of it is. You can see different segments by blur level all over the coiled tail, the entirety of the scale effect is a lovely texture brush, the hands were drawn with a near-audible "gently caress it", and the head has next to nothing to do with the rest of the piece in terms of technique.

Then I explained to her that it was also supposed to be supernaturally sexy and there may have been an quip along the lines of "so they don't bother hiring off Tumblr, I see."

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Kurieg posted:

The timeline and details are incredibly unclear, but the implication is either that his horror somehow physically manifested and sunk the titanic while he was sleeping and hungry. Or he inherited the horror that sunk the titanic, and the realization of this instantly incarnated him.

Ooookay then.

Daeren posted:

Y'know, I showed that art to an artist friend of mine a while back and she about went apoplectic at how lazy the actual composition of it is. You can see different segments by blur level all over the coiled tail, the entirety of the scale effect is a lovely texture brush, the hands were drawn with a near-audible "gently caress it", and the head has next to nothing to do with the rest of the piece in terms of technique.

Then I explained to her that it was also supposed to be supernaturally sexy and there may have been an quip along the lines of "so they don't bother hiring off Tumblr, I see."

That's a deviantArt piece if I ever saw one.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

When I look at this, the first thing that comes to mind is "Paint me like one of your french girls.". Not, y'know, "Holy poo poo how do you even slither around your snake half is like 3 times the size of your body.".

Seriously, I have this mental image of him painfully dragging his face along the deck of some ship while obnoxiously terrorizing some yacht owners about how he'll totally do them like he did the Titanic and oh maaan haven't you heard of me? Like the most obnoxious monstrous prima donna ever.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 13, 2017

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Maybe he bites his tail and rolls, like a hoopsnake.

(My first thought is: man, someone got paid to draw that)

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

When Geist wins the pirate poll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fzXmJyolfY

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yawgmoth posted:

that hasn't hurt any of their other kickstarters since that book came out

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

that hasn't hurt any of their other kickstarters since that book came out

This is the first Chronicles Kickstarter since Beast, but I doubt that's it too. Some people like Beast, maybe they're voting for it. Or to fit in with the Pirates of the Caribbean stuff alongside Geist.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Didn't a bunch of frat boys try to sacrifice Buffy to that snake guy?

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
drat, it looks like Changeling (which I was hoping for) is the one someone was votestuffing for.

Pressgangs, y'all! Motley crews, and stowaways!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Wasn't there also the big "Onyx Path doesn't pay its freelancers!!!" kerfuffle mostly related to Exalted that might make some people a bit shy about giving money to them?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Wasn't there also the big "Onyx Path doesn't pay its freelancers!!!" kerfuffle mostly related to Exalted that might make some people a bit shy about giving money to them?

That is, and remains, unsubstantiated rumor. In fact I haven't heard it from anyone other than Holden and his immediate circle of cautious fans. I know several freelancers, e.g., no one else has had this mysterious non-payment problem.

OPP is a small business and occasionally makes mistakes or mails things to the wrong address or poo poo like that but Exalted is the only instance I've heard of the freelancers 'not getting paid' and given that Holden and co. demanded payment for poo poo they were never asked to write I remain skeptical until somebody spells it out for me.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner
Is there a particular reason Geist is leading? I don't follow it much. I know the Golden Age of Piracy has been a speculated element for Mage for a while now, so that's not a surprise, I'm just wondering what it is that's caused a line that I've not seen or heard discussed much (and I don't think even has a 2E update?) to be leading so heavily. Is it really just ghost pirates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ironslave posted:

Is there a particular reason Geist is leading?

https://giphy.com/embed/IgOqZd73j9GmY