Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

you should have that looked at; hate is not healthy no matter what excuses you use to justify the people you are hating

i keep seeing people itt coming up with excuses to not talk to people who aren't ~on their side~ via glaringly ignorant and frankly misanthropic reductionism, and it's bad

the more people whose minds you assume cannot be changed, the more useless you have made yourself to your cause

it reeks of laziness, pessimism, and outright despair

Time to dust off this classic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

you should have that looked at; hate is not healthy no matter what excuses you use to justify the people you are hating

i keep seeing people itt coming up with excuses to not talk to people who aren't ~on their side~ via glaringly ignorant and frankly misanthropic reductionism, and it's bad

the more people whose minds you assume cannot be changed, the more useless you have made yourself to your cause

I don't think you get what a mock thread is. Which is pathetic, because the concept is incredibly simple and easy to grasp.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
Ohh, just heard her whip out the 'non-prostate havers' line.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
people are being mean to contra i'm PISSED

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lovechop posted:

please do not be mean on the something awful forums, this goes against everything we stand for as goons

remember that posting here means that you first and foremost respect others in an environment of civility, tolerance, and mutual trust for the betterment of mankind

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Laci used to care about teaching the world about anal sex. What happened?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The people being mean to Contra are dummies.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
If the chat teaches me anything it's that people are incredibly caught up on the number of genders.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

boner confessor posted:

please do not be mean on the something awful forums, this goes against everything we stand for as goons

remember that posting here means that you first and foremost respect others in an environment of civility, tolerance, and mutual trust for the betterment of mankind

I think he's talking about people in the Livestream, not here ITT.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

boner confessor posted:

oh i meant on youtube and twitter. everyone here is a beautiful angel to me, that goes without saying :)

fallenturtle
Feb 28, 2003
paintedblue.net

Lovechop posted:

They're being mean to everyone. Though I had to pause so I'm still on Murphy.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Carecat posted:

If the chat teaches me anything it's that people are incredibly caught up on the number of genders.

I see people on the internet strawman constantly with the whole "did you just assume my gender?! TRIGGERED!" crap they spew forth everytime anything even peripherally related to gender comes up. Identifying as an attack helicopter is a popular one too.

Fair money says not one of the dipshits who vomits forth that old meme have ever even met someone non-binary, much less encountered that specific edge case

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

I think he's talking about people in the Livestream, not here ITT.

my bad i thought we were making fun of the dork who only posts in this thread that he hates and begs constantly for people to rationally consider the argumentative merits of sargon of akkad

zxqv8 posted:

I see people on the internet strawman constantly with the whole "did you just assume my gender?! TRIGGERED!" crap they spew forth everytime anything even peripherally related to gender comes up. Identifying as an attack helicopter is a popular one too.

you know how nerds basically communicate to each other by repeating pop culture references over and over like horny songbirds? this, but for race hate

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Lovechop posted:

oh i meant on youtube and twitter. everyone here is a beautiful angel to me, that goes without saying :)

I am not a beautiful angel. While I am an angel, I'm a biblical one made of concentric rings of flaming eyes and thousands of wings, and so I am quite hideous.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Some of them probably are trans and in denial about it. That was true of the 4chan of a decade ago, which was obsessed with trans people. I feel like someone here has posted as much.

Why care so much otherwise?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

business hammocks posted:

Some of them probably are trans and in denial about it. That was true of the 4chan of a decade ago, which was obsessed with trans people. I feel like someone here has posted as much.

ehh true trans is pretty rare, more likely imo that it's just the bad intersection of bicuriosity, toxic masculinity, and lack of vocabulary to express one's self even in internal narrative

well i'm a horny shutin with weird sex ideas, maybe i'm trans because the idea i was born wrong is more comforting to me than the idea that i might just like to suck a dick, haha! now to check out this dickgirl cartoon

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Fun Shoe

Carecat posted:

My brain can only deal with one thing, and it has to be one thing or otherwise the other, or my brain cannot parse it for some reason.

What is a spectrum?

We may never know.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

A few might be, but I doubt that it's a significant percentage. Plus this, like accusing homophobic people of secretly being gay, comes off as blaming the oppressed for their own oppression.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again I am quite sure that almost all minds can, in theory, change. That does not mean that I posess the means to do so or that I think it is worth the effort rather than seeking to simply eclipse them. And it absolutely isn't an impediment to me having a very visceral dislike of their present form.

People can change, the effect of which means I can very easily loathe someone for who they are without that being immutable.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

I don't think you get what a mock thread is. Which is pathetic, because the concept is incredibly simple and easy to grasp.

so start mocking these youtube intellectuals/mocking their videos, rather than simply bemoaning their existence

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

See: The page you are posting on.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

so start mocking these youtube intellectuals/mocking their videos, rather than simply bemoaning their existence

When we did that you pissed and moaned about how mean and unfair we were.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Who What Now posted:

When we did that you pissed and moaned about how mean and unfair we were.

so get better at mocking people rather than just wishing death upon them or w/e

if you want to see what a good mock thread looks like, try the deviantart thread in gbs or the AUG thread in PYF

unless you're too afraid of ~indoctrination~ or ~legitimization~ to embed youtubers' videos, in which case, idk what to tell ya

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

the AUG thread in PYF

How shocking that the guy defending Pepe-boys loves the thread in PYF constantly getting gassed for transphobia and racism. :jerkbag:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I for one am very angry about thread immigrants coming here and not integrating with our posting culture.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Pittsburgh Lambic your sanctimonious moralizing is naive and condescending

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Pittsburgh Lambic your sanctimonious moralizing is naive and condescending

he's actually really mad this thread exists and is trying to find ways to post in it without seeming mad

it's like the conspiracy theory thread, it serves as a weak honeypot as well

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So did anyone watch Contra and Laci's talk? How did that go? Woth the watch or just same old poo poo form Laci?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

So did anyone watch Contra and Laci's talk? How did that go? Woth the watch or just same old poo poo form Laci?

I caught about half an hour over the whole thing, and it was mostly Laci giggling about how bad she is at setting up Livestreams and then later Contra explaining very surface level gender concepts. I didn't know anything about Laci before watching, but she seems a lot like Joe Roegan where she'll believe whatever the last thing she heard was.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Fun Shoe
Before Contra's part I caught the end of the talk with Meghan Murphy where she talked about how men can be great allies of feminsm because of them helping to get the Nordic model passed and that trans men make good allies because they're actually female.

Reminded me of the time I had a steak with scampi at some restaurant a few years back for some reason.

Intrinsic Field Marshal
Sep 6, 2014

by SA Support Robot

4chan has a big gathering of transsexual/transvestite people who gather on /lgbt/ and /soc/ and /r9k/

Sometimes they post lewd pictures of themselves on the other boards to wind the other users up when they find out they are a dude or a transexual woman

4chan is not some homogeneous hivemind

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who What Now posted:

I caught about half an hour over the whole thing, and it was mostly Laci giggling about how bad she is at setting up Livestreams and then later Contra explaining very surface level gender concepts. I didn't know anything about Laci before watching, but she seems a lot like Joe Roegan where she'll believe whatever the last thing she heard was.

She doesn't have the rigor or knowledge necessary to discuss the issues with sufficient depth, but she didn't seem to be acting in bad faith. Who knows why she feels the need to jump-start a culture war by sounding off?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

boner confessor posted:

well i'm a horny shutin with weird sex ideas, maybe i'm trans because the idea i was born wrong is more comforting to me than the idea that i might just like to suck a dick, haha! now to check out this dickgirl cartoon

don't doxx me

i became a lot happier when i realised 'gay' and 'straight' are points on a continuum and i could put myself at, like, a 4/10 on the Gay Scale or whatever, rather than trying to rationalise this poo poo

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I honestly would like to know if it would be possible to get an accurate snapshot of what the average 4channer is. Do they eventually grow out of the site and a younger generation is coming in or are the people there now the same ones since 2001 or whatever. Average age of it's users? How many women actually use 4chan? And I mean as a whole, not just POL or the places you don't go in after midnight.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Watching the Laci thing, she says at about 2:11 that she feels like she has to please everyone and gets really upset when she does something in good faith and gets insulted for it. She's a people-pleaser who needs a psychiatrist to work through the doormat conditioning she probably got from growing up mormon.

She also seems to think that trans people insulting her on the internet are somehow representative of trans people generally, and that she feels guilty for not serving both that audience and naifs off the internet who don't know poo poo about trans issues. I feel really sorry for her, actually. This whole thing is her working out her anxiety.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

It's incredible to me that it's controversial to say that people who willingly cast a vote for the "grab them by the pussy" guy and the mocking a disabled person guy

Like, you can naval gaze about the horrors of calling all Romney and/or Bush voters horrible because a lot of their terrible poo poo was under the surface and maybe wonky

To watch the trump campaign unfold and to still be at the ballot box and pull the handle is a binary choice between "I approve singularly of this man's actions on some level" and "I do not"

There are degrees of culpability in horrid bigotry incurred by events, and a trump voter is more culpable than voters of R candidates of the past

BigRed0427 posted:

I honestly would like to know if it would be possible to get an accurate snapshot of what the average 4channer is. Do they eventually grow out of the site and a younger generation is coming in or are the people there now the same ones since 2001 or whatever. Average age of it's users? How many women actually use 4chan? And I mean as a whole, not just POL or the places you don't go in after midnight.

It's got to be like SA demographics in the mid 2000s, like 17-22 nerdy white men. And like SA I've gotta figure that the user base will liberalize as they go to school and get laid and make friends and meet minorities

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 14, 2017

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

isn't 4chan only a few years younger than SA?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

everyone who chooses to hate people based on how they voted in 2016 needs to stop and have a good, long look at this graph and think about what it means

and keep it in mind next time they run into, say, four hillary supporters standing together
I plenty willing to reach out to people who didn't vote in the last election out of disliking Hillary, apathy, or thinking the election was decided. I'm not willing to reach out to Trump voters though. This is just based on what actually works. The people who voted for Trump are the same core of Republican voters who always vote Republican regardless of how garbage the candidate is. You can look at past elections and you'll find that every single election Republican voter turn out is about the same. They do not care about any issues or specific points that can be argued. All they care about is that the candidate has an R next to their name. You will never win them over and you will never find a Republican so lovely that they won't vote for them. They'd vote for zombie Hitler if he ran on the Republican ticket. So no there is no reason not to hate them.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BigRed0427 posted:

isn't 4chan only a few years younger than SA?

4chan is a direct offshoot of SA composed largely of refugees from ADTRW. i used to hang out in SADCHUB and Raspberry Heaven when moot talked about cloning 2ch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

I plenty willing to reach out to people who didn't vote in the last election out of disliking Hillary, apathy, or thinking the election was decided. I'm not willing to reach out to Trump voters though. This is just based on what actually works. The people who voted for Trump are the same core of Republican voters who always vote Republican regardless of how garbage the candidate is. You can look at past elections and you'll find that every single election Republican voter turn out is about the same. They do not care about any issues or specific points that can be argued. All they care about is that the candidate has an R next to their name. You will never win them over and you will never find a Republican so lovely that they won't vote for them. They'd vote for zombie Hitler if he ran on the Republican ticket. So no there is no reason not to hate them.

Yeah it's this. Trump proved that there is an absolutely horrid rotten core at the center of Rightwing politics in this country filled with people beyond reproach. My parents are the quintessential Limbaugh-listening, Trump voting midwestern lower middle class whites and while i was able to look past their politics for a while for the sake of love and family, knowing they voted for such a reprehensible man finally brought their true inner selves into sharp relief

By voting for trump, that part of America publicly revealed a very very very dark and rotten core that can't be altered. We can only move on as a culture and leave them behind in their sad lovely past

• Locked thread