Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah Part 6 Tommy (which is the one from the game obv.) is supposed to be in his 20's, and Thom Mathews was in his late 20's at the time.

Didn't people do the math and figure out that the latter half of the series had to be taking place in the 2000s because of how everyone aged?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Skunkrocker posted:

gently caress I just realized that means Tommy went back in time. :psyduck:

Or you can just pretend that the game takes place sometime between parts 6 and 7. Jason keeps coming back over and over and over again in some of his old (and future) forms and Tommy keeps getting the same goddamn radio call and keeps returning to the lake over and over again to try and stop him.

And I guess also pretend that every counselor is still driving beat-up old 70's cars and wearing 80's clothes in the 2000's.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Tommy is in hell with Jason, and stopping Jason is his sisyphean punishment.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Skunkrocker posted:

gently caress I just realized that means Tommy went back in time. :psyduck:

Well he managed to bring a dead person back to life accidentally. Is this really a stretch for him?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

Didn't people do the math and figure out that the latter half of the series had to be taking place in the 2000s because of how everyone aged?

It's basically down to the gap between Part 6 and Part 7. Tina(the telekinetic girl), supposedly ages like 10 years between the two movies, even though they were released only like a single year apart.

Edit: To be clear, Tina doesn't appear in Part 6 but in Part 7 she is said to have been 7 years old at the time of those events.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 13, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

And I guess also pretend that every counselor is still driving beat-up old 70's cars and wearing 80's clothes in the 2000's.

They're all hipster as gently caress, down to not carrying cell phones and using CB/land lines to call for help against an immortal serial killer.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

McSpanky posted:

They're all hipster as gently caress, down to not carrying cell phones and using CB/land lines to call for help against an immortal serial killer.

I mean early 2000's I could totally see their clothes being appropriate. Late grunge, and lovely used cars they got from their parents or off the side of the road. And hell I didn't have a cell phone for another year or two in the year 2000. Plus back then reception wasn't the best, especially in the woods.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea, in 2000 cellphones were still something that a lot of people just carried around in their car for emergencies, and I don't remember most of my friends having one until about 2001 or 2002, when we were juniors and seniors in high school. In the late 90's it really wasn't common to see a kid with a cellphone.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Basebf555 posted:

It's basically down to the gap between Part 6 and Part 7. Tina(the telekinetic girl), supposedly ages like 10 years between the two movies, even though they were released only like a single year apart.

Edit: To be clear, Tina doesn't appear in Part 6 but in Part 7 she is said to have been 7 years old at the time of those events.

Also 4, 5, and 6.

2-4 basically happen over the course of a few days. So, still 1980/81.
Tommy is 11 or 12 in Part 4
Tommy is supposed to be like 17 in Part 5 (actor was 25) (5-6 years depending on what plot synopsis you read, so 1986-87)
Tommy is a few years older in Part 6. (1990?)

There isn't really a timeframe for the beginning of Part VII but Jason was obviously in the lake, so it is at least 10 years between the intro and the main plot of Part VII, so this would put it to like late 1990s early 2000s.

Meaning Time Square was stuck in the 1980s and 9/11 never happened in that universe.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hockles posted:

Also 4, 5, and 6.

2-4 basically happen over the course of a few days. So, still 1980/81.
Tommy is 11 or 12 in Part 4
Tommy is supposed to be like 17 in Part 5 (actor was 25) (5-6 years depending on what plot synopsis you read, so 1986-87)
Tommy is a few years older in Part 6. (1990?)

There isn't really a timeframe for the beginning of Part VII but Jason was obviously in the lake, so it is at least 10 years between the intro and the main plot of Part VII, so this would put it to like late 1990s early 2000s.

Meaning Time Square was stuck in the 1980s and 9/11 never happened in that universe.

We went over this actually, earlier.

1 is 1979. 2 is set five years after that, so 1984.

And from there madness and despair

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Burkion posted:

We went over this actually, earlier.

1 is 1979. 2 is set five years after that, so 1984.

And from there madness and despair

The wikia says a few months between 1 and 2. But, we're getting pedantic at this point.

The middle group is yes, chaos.

e: Oh, I see where the 5 year gap is now.

e2: Of course there's this, which makes it all easier -- http://fridaythe13th.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Friday_the_13th_series

Hockles fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 13, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hockles posted:

The wikia says a few months between 1 and 2. But, we're getting pedantic at this point.

The middle group is yes, chaos.

e: Oh, I see where the 5 year gap is now.

A few months between part 1 and Jason killing Alice during part 2's prologue. At the campfire, Paul says the events of part 1 were five years previous.

I literally just finished watching part 2. Starting part 3 now. So groovy.

EDIT: I think part 2 is the only one in which, not only does the funny guy survive, but escapes any trauma at all, both physical and emotional.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Pretty hosed up that Alice's body has been decomposing in Jason's shack for 5 years. Can't think of too many horror movie protagonists who get worse treatment in a sequel than that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty hosed up that Alice's body has been decomposing in Jason's shack for 5 years. Can't think of too many horror movie protagonists who get worse treatment in a sequel than that.

Could have been worse. She could have died in those horrible green overalls.

EDIT: Man, gently caress you, Shelley, you sad sack proto-incel motherfucker. I'm glad you get killed!

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 13, 2017

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
At least we're solid on the Jason X dates.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Seriously, if Jason hadn't shown up, part 3 would have been the story of Shelley snapping and killing all of his friends.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Phylodox posted:

EDIT: Man, gently caress you, Shelley, you sad sack proto-incel motherfucker. I'm glad you get killed!

Yes, let the hatred of Shelley flow through you.
Yes he deserved to die and I hope he burns in hell!

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Tommy is in hell with Jason, and stopping Jason is his sisyphean punishment.

What if the game is actually all Jason dreaming? We saw a bit of that in FvJ (I think, it's been a while and I really don't like that movie post rave scene) where he wanders around in that weird dreamscape prior to Freddy waking him up.

It explains the multiple looks of Jason, it explains why Tommy keeps showing up, and explains why the same group of counselors keep dying and coming back.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

joylessdivision posted:

Yes, let the hatred of Shelley flow through you.
Yes he deserved to die and I hope he burns in hell!

Shelley, as a character, is weirdly prescient. He was a Nice Guy before Nice Guys were really a thing. Still, he gets props for bringing the goalie mask to the franchise, if nothing else.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I keep getting ideas of Friday the 13th: The Game: The Movie

The first Act would be a mini-standard movie where Jason kills everyone, but then everything resets and nobody knows what's going on, not even Jason. Someone escapes and everything still resets, Tommy Jarvis shows up and doesn't know either, they manage to kill Jason and everything still resets. They start figuring out the rules but they don't know why it's happening.

Eventually there's a period where everyone just gives up on the whole thing and start messing around, chatting with Jason even as he kills them, even Jason sometimes just... hangs around with people

And then multiples of the same counsellor start showing up and you get stuff like two Chads circling the camp on a boat drinking champagne and complimenting each other while Jason looks on

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

The first Act would be a mini-standard movie where Jason kills everyone, but then everything resets and nobody knows what's going on, not even Jason. Someone escapes and everything still resets, Tommy Jarvis shows up and doesn't know either, they manage to kill Jason and everything still resets. They start figuring out the rules but they don't know why it's happening.

Eventually there's a period where everyone just gives up on the whole thing and start messing around, chatting with Jason even as he kills them, even Jason sometimes just... hangs around with people

And then multiples of the same counsellor start showing up and you get stuff like two Chads circling the camp on a boat drinking champagne and complimenting each other while Jason looks on

The movie has to end with Chubs going insane and trying to kill everyone, only for Jason to save the day and defeat him.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

So Groundhog Day starring Jason? I'm throwing my money at the screen and nothing's happening.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Turns out the whole thing is set in that holodeck ripoff from the end of Jason X, which Jason never actually left. He's in an abandoned spaceship in a decaying orbit above a dead Earth.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Phylodox posted:

Could have been worse. She could have died in those horrible green overalls.

Speaking of that film, Vera is one of the deaths in the series that actually bummed me.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Speaking of that film, Vera is one of the deaths in the series that actually bummed me.

Yeah, but she had the distinction of being Jason's first victim post-goalie mask.

I'm on part 4, now. Lol, Crispin Glover is a MGTOW!

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 13, 2017

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

King Vidiot posted:

Or you can just pretend that the game takes place sometime between parts 6 and 7. Jason keeps coming back over and over and over again in some of his old (and future) forms and Tommy keeps getting the same goddamn radio call and keeps returning to the lake over and over again to try and stop him.

That makes zero sense. Tommy clearly wants to get the gently caress out of camp so bad he travels back in time to get to camp to get out of.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

sinburger posted:

That makes zero sense. Tommy clearly wants to get the gently caress out of camp so bad he travels back in time to get to camp to get out of.

No, Tommy doesn't want to be at the camp. But regardless of where in time and space he happens to be, the councilors, trying to save their own lives, use the radio and continue the next cycle of his own personal hell. He is cursed and bound to the camp grounds. He can try to save as many councilors as he's able, but he's cursed to watch untold numbers of councilors die horrible deaths to his nemesis. And even if he throws himself willingly into Jason's grasp, the moment the lights go out, another camper, in another reality is using the radio again...

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Inside Out Mom posted:

No, Tommy doesn't want to be at the camp. But regardless of where in time and space he happens to be, the councilors, trying to save their own lives, use the radio and continue the next cycle of his own personal hell. He is cursed and bound to the camp grounds. He can try to save as many councilors as he's able, but he's cursed to watch untold numbers of councilors die horrible deaths to his nemesis. And even if he throws himself willingly into Jason's grasp, the moment the lights go out, another camper, in another reality is using the radio again...

Poor Tommy :smith:

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Then again there is TRUE HERO TOMMY JARVIS

"I should help stop Jason... then again? Free boat."

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I have had only one perfect game as Tommy Jarvis.

I escaped after a hard fought battle, came in as Tommy on the road, saw a car of three people being attacked by Jason, got a long shot on him from far as gently caress away, got in the car, left the game with them in under 30 seconds

Maximum Tommy

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I had a good Tommy round last night. There was a guy who was yelling into the mic about Stalin before the match started so he was quickly muted. During the match he just stood by the boat and did nothing for a couple of minutes so I blasted him in the chest with the shotgun. A few minutes later I was the last person left and I juked Skunkrocker for about 7-8 minutes until the time ran out. He kept breaking windows to try to deter me from using them but I had medic and 3 first aid sprays and picked up another one from Deb's body after I burned through two of them.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 13, 2017

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, but she had the distinction of being Jason's first victim post-goalie mask.

I'm on part 4, now. Lol, Crispin Glover is a MGTOW!

Crispin Glover is a gem in that movie. His dancing I'd truly something to behold.

Apparently his dancing made more sense with the music they played on set but it was changed in post making him look like a lunatic....well more so than normal Crispin Glover.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

Regrettable posted:

I had a good Tommy round last night. There was a guy who was yelling into the mic about Stalin before the match started so he was quickly muted. During the match he just stood by the boat and did nothing for a couple of minutes so I blasted him in the chest with the shotgun. A few minutes later I was the last person left and I juked Skunkrocker for about 7-8 minutes until the time ran out. He kept breaking windows to try to deter me from using them but I had medic and 3 first aid sprays and picked up another one from Deb's body after I burned through two of them.

You also outran my shifts and morph was not being cooperative, and the one time a grab would have you dead to rights I missed like an idiot.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
They should do that in more movies.

Picture that dumb matrix rave scene with Raining Blood or Otis Redding playing.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Welp, they stealth nerfed all thick skins now.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Regrettable posted:

Welp, they stealth nerfed all thick skins now.

But ones that are equipped apparently stay at full strength.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Its weird though, my rare thick skinned was unequipped, but at least when I'm using it I can still survive a 2nd story window jump without getting crippled. (I did have it equipped on all my guys before the nerf.)

My rare thick skinned is now at 16%. I believe it used to be higher but I can't recall.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

joylessdivision posted:

Crispin Glover is a gem in that movie. His dancing I'd truly something to behold.

Apparently his dancing made more sense with the music they played on set but it was changed in post making him look like a lunatic....well more so than normal Crispin Glover.

Is there a clip of this somewhere?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Hockles posted:

Is there a clip of this somewhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEMynL5iVOA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If I remember right the actual music on set had been Back in Black, but then that happened. :v:

• Locked thread