Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Criterion should go back to collecting music videos, too. Michael Bay would be the perfect subject for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I mean say what you will about Micheal Bay but he is influential. I don't like him at all but you can see his influence in every single blockbuster for the last 20 years or so.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It's worth remembering that Bay's reputation before and after he stepped into the Transformers franchise are very different. Or maybe Bad Boys II was that tipping point, but either way, at the time Criterion put out The Rock and Armageddon opinions on Bay were much less "he's a cancer on the medium of film", and a lot more "he's the wave of the future and he makes the over the top roller coaster rides that people want to see".

I dunno, Armageddon got absolutely savaged by the critics when it came out. That animal cracker scene became instantly infamous.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Toebone posted:

Beating a dead horse, but I'm a million times more likely to throw on my copy of The Rock then ever watch Tiny Furniture again.

Absolutely, I have a whole shelf of balls to the wall action movies and when I want something to watch after work I tend to reach for something there a lot more often than I go for something like Fanny & Alexander or Solaris, as much as I love them and enjoy them when in the proper mood.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, Armageddon got absolutely savaged by the critics when it came out. That animal cracker scene became instantly infamous.

Didn't Pearl Harbor get thrashed by critics?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

oh big time, that was after Armageddon though. and I think a lot of critics did admit to liking the actual Pearl Harbor bombing set-piece, whereas most reviews for Armageddon said that even the action sucked due to the editing style.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I mean, they've all been thrashed by critics, I don't know if The Rock was even popular with the critics. With Bay it's kinda tough to pinpoint when exactly audiences started this love/hate relationship they have with him. At the time Transformers was lauded as something of an impossible magic trick, Bay had somehow taken this kids toy franchise and made it into a kick-rear end action movie. I don't remember people being down on the franchise until the debacle that was Revenge of the Fallen. Same with Pearl Harbor, it certainly wasn't beloved, but I saw it with a few friends in the theatre and we didn't hate it. We didn't love it either, but we'd gone in pretty excited because up to that point Bay had always delivered.

The first time Bay hosed with both critics AND general audiences is probably The Island. That's the first time he showed a chink in his armor.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I dunno I remember the first transformers being on of the worst movie experiences of my life.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Rob posted:

I dunno I remember the first transformers being on of the worst movie experiences of my life.

Good for you I guess, but I'm just telling you that the general reaction to Transformers was very positive.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Parallax posted:

the idea that criterion only puts out the best and most important films is also stupid. it's all about marketing, the deals they can make, and whoever works at criterions personal taste

Not only that, some movies will inherently sell more copies than others. Criterion wouldn't be able to afford an Apu Trilogy restoration without popular movies like Armageddon or The Graduate to bring in cash.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The first time Bay hosed with both critics AND general audiences is probably The Island. That's the first time he showed a chink in his armor.

Haha of course my fav Bay is the one trashed by everyone.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh big time, that was after Armageddon though. and I think a lot of critics did admit to liking the actual Pearl Harbor bombing set-piece, whereas most reviews for Armageddon said that even the action sucked due to the editing style.

Sorry was more adding to the point that pretransformers Bay still got hammered by critics.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The Island is the first Bay I ever saw, and hoo boy is a drive-in where the sound is at best a car radio not the best context for a Bay movie.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The_Rob posted:

I mean say what you will about Micheal Bay but he is influential. I don't like him at all but you can see his influence in every single blockbuster for the last 20 years or so.
Yeah, he's important to cinema for better or worse (It's for worse IMO but I'm aware that there are others who respectfully disagree). The chaos cinema trend (Or "intensified continuity" to use David Bordwell's more polite term) was pretty much was popularized by Bay.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Criterion's always had the reputation of skewing toward arthouse poo poo, but their reputation as the predominant arbiter of the film canon is really something that developed after the transition to DVD. Back in the laserdisc days the connotation of the Criterion label was more along the lines of what Arrow is today---that is, producers of high-quality special editions and that kind of thing. More of a if there's an edition by them it's the one you want then if there's an edition by them it's a Big Important Film To Take Seriously or whatever the gently caress. Although Arrow is pretty genre-specific, and Criterion never was. But when Criterion put out, I dunno, Ghostbusters (1984), The Princess Bride (1987), the Python films, RoboCop (1987), the Bond films, or The Prince of Tides (1991) I don't think anyone really felt the need to interpret their release as a referendum on the contemporary film canon. They were just popular films getting a nice release. And of course Armageddon (1998) got a Criterion laserdisc release (the highest released LD spine number, in fact).

And I think to some extent the changing perception of Criterion owes a lot to the changing demographics. If you owned a LD player in the years before they became a retro technology you were almost certainly a hobbyist, enthusiast, or however you want to say it. The best selling LDs of all time (Fantasia (1940) and Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)) moved about 250,000 copies. On DVD and/or blu a popular Disney film moves tens of millions of copies. Frozen (2013) sold around a million copies the first week it was available.

The reason I bother to point all that out is that Criterion reaches a much, much larger audience now then they used to, just because of the proliferation of the home video media they work in---back in the LD days, if you knew who Criterion was you were almost certainly an enthusiast, kind of like you're way more likely to know about Arrow if you're an enthusiast. But now you're pretty likely to know Criterion if you're just a random person who's even vaguely interested in film. And if you're just a random person and look at a list of Criterion releases you're more likely to think hoo boy that's a bunch of arty poo poo. Or whatever.

I also think the perception gets amplified by the segregation of part of their stuff off onto the Eclipse label, which I think nurtures the idea that the Criterion is elite and exclusive or whatever. Like the stated purpose is to release inexpensive bare-bones releases and it totally makes sense to make that a separate thing when a big part of your schtick is deluxe releases with lots of extras. But when anthologies of genre potboilers (like the Shochiku and Nikkatsu Eclipse sets, which for the record I adore) get released on the off-brand label I think it encourages the idea that the Criterion label is only for the very best stuff or whatever.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
A Married Couple absolutely deserves the deluxe blu-ray treatment.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

MacheteZombie posted:

No, that was the Japanese

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Filmstruck is great because they can put up films with no good film elements or minimal marketability out there with extras and an HD master.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
How are the extras on filmstruck? Any commentaries? Might consider it now.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Not every movie has extras but the ones that do get pretty much everything that was in the disc release.

It's a really good service but make sure it's on a device you use before you sub.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hector Beerlioz posted:

How are the extras on filmstruck? Any commentaries? Might consider it now.

They usually include the commentary if there's one on the disc version

One big plus is that they have some OOP titles like Grand Illusion with the Criterion extras, including the commentary. Mainly because they worked out a deal with StudioCanal directly for streaming, while Lionsgate still has US disc rights.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Man I got Shudder this year and don't wanna pay for another streaming service but dang if this isn't tempting

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I would totally get Fimstruck if they had a PS4 app.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SubG posted:

Criterion's always had the reputation of skewing toward arthouse poo poo, but their reputation as the predominant arbiter of the film canon is really something that developed after the transition to DVD. Back in the laserdisc days the connotation of the Criterion label was more along the lines of what Arrow is today---that is, producers of high-quality special editions and that kind of thing. More of a if there's an edition by them it's the one you want then if there's an edition by them it's a Big Important Film To Take Seriously or whatever the gently caress. Although Arrow is pretty genre-specific, and Criterion never was. But when Criterion put out, I dunno, Ghostbusters (1984), The Princess Bride (1987), the Python films, RoboCop (1987), the Bond films, or The Prince of Tides (1991) I don't think anyone really felt the need to interpret their release as a referendum on the contemporary film canon. They were just popular films getting a nice release. And of course Armageddon (1998) got a Criterion laserdisc release (the highest released LD spine number, in fact).

And I think to some extent the changing perception of Criterion owes a lot to the changing demographics. If you owned a LD player in the years before they became a retro technology you were almost certainly a hobbyist, enthusiast, or however you want to say it. The best selling LDs of all time (Fantasia (1940) and Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)) moved about 250,000 copies. On DVD and/or blu a popular Disney film moves tens of millions of copies. Frozen (2013) sold around a million copies the first week it was available.

The reason I bother to point all that out is that Criterion reaches a much, much larger audience now then they used to, just because of the proliferation of the home video media they work in---back in the LD days, if you knew who Criterion was you were almost certainly an enthusiast, kind of like you're way more likely to know about Arrow if you're an enthusiast. But now you're pretty likely to know Criterion if you're just a random person who's even vaguely interested in film. And if you're just a random person and look at a list of Criterion releases you're more likely to think hoo boy that's a bunch of arty poo poo. Or whatever.

I also think the perception gets amplified by the segregation of part of their stuff off onto the Eclipse label, which I think nurtures the idea that the Criterion is elite and exclusive or whatever. Like the stated purpose is to release inexpensive bare-bones releases and it totally makes sense to make that a separate thing when a big part of your schtick is deluxe releases with lots of extras. But when anthologies of genre potboilers (like the Shochiku and Nikkatsu Eclipse sets, which for the record I adore) get released on the off-brand label I think it encourages the idea that the Criterion label is only for the very best stuff or whatever.
I'm not familiar with Arrow, what are they?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's the verdict on firestick vs roku?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I'm not familiar with Arrow, what are they?
I'm not sure if this is a joke I'm not getting but they're a British label that does fancy releases of films, predominantly cult/genre stuff.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

The_Rob posted:

I would totally get Fimstruck if they had a PS4 app.

Yup, this is basically the only thing holding me back at this point.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SubG posted:

I'm not sure if this is a joke I'm not getting but they're a British label that does fancy releases of films, predominantly cult/genre stuff.

Not joking, I genuinely hadn't heard of them. So they do special editions like Shout Factory does?
You said they're British, does that mean they only release stuff in region B/2?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Not joking, I genuinely hadn't heard of them. So they do special editions like Shout Factory does?

They've branched out into region one stuff, although there are still a fair amount of R2 exclusive titles. They're even higher quality than Shout Factort stuff in my experience, more extras and really stunning transfers.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Filmstruck owns.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Like Uncle Boogeyman says some of their stuff is B/2 but there's also a lot of A/1 as well.

The only reason I thought you might be joking is because I'm surprised any CineD regular wouldn't have heard of them. They're not exactly a household name, but if you're into horror, giallo, poliziotteschi, and so on you're likely to run into them because they've been putting out a lot of stuff that isn't available otherwise, or is only available in a completely dire form. They're not exclusively horror and so on, but most of their other releases are also stuff with niche/cult appeal (like e.g. Fukasaku's Battles Without Honor and Humanity films).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That's awesome, I'll have to look into their stuff. Thanks for the tip!

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The_Rob posted:

Lucky you. For me it was the second one.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Cacator posted:

Lucky you. For me it was the second one.

I decided after the first one to never watch another transformers movie again.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Get the drat Raid movies on criterion. Also put out a John Carpenter box set. And Charlie Kaufman.

e: and the goddamn Coens!

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I ended up going in on Kuroneko and The Island of Lost Souls today. I've seen the later, and it's an absolutely tremendous film. Very disturbing.

I had no idea the director of Kuroneko was the same as Onibaba. The latter wasn't at the store I went to, nor was Branded to Kill.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm British and the only reason I know all about Arrow and their greatness is because of this thread :( otherwise they'd just be "the dudes who did that Decalogue set I want"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
In general, alternative DVD labels are coming up in a big way, at least as far as cinephiles are concerned. In the ol' exploitation film thread we had a checklist of distributors and despite the fact that they obviously dealt with a much greater trash-to-art ratio than Criterion, nowadays there's a lot more crossover then you'd think. I got the Arrow release of The Beast, and it's basically a Criterion release in all but name only.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
There is an Arrow Video thread around these parts, and if you haven't blown your entire cash pile yet, their sale starts on the 19th.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looking at their catlogue, I can't really see myself buying a Vinegar Syndrome release, but I admire what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MacheteZombie posted:

There is an Arrow Video thread around these parts, and if you haven't blown your entire cash pile yet, their sale starts on the 19th.

US or U.K.?

I picked up their Bride of Re-Animator and Dead-End Drive-In releases today at Fopp and the packaging is stellar.