Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
To be honest part of what made New Order refreshing was that there wasn't yet another overwrought depiction of alternate reality Americana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Entropic posted:

Is it weird that I think the coolest thing from the trailer is the implication that you spend a level scooting around shooting nazis from your wheelchair?

It's true, not just an implication, at least according to an article I read.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Hey guys, it's time for everyone's favorite game show, German... or Else!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyy7cP8jZb4

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Its going to be turning point: fall of liberty, except not poo poo.

Machine games sense of humor just meshes so well with the setting. :allears:

God help me, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what their version of the MP40, the second most overused video game gun of all time, looks like.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

kefkafloyd posted:

Is "speed limit" in German actually "geschwindgofuckyourself"? :psyduck:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Geschwindigheitsbegrensung,
Grens means border or limit, begrensung is the proper way to parse it in this usage, kind of like limitation in English.
Geschwindigheit means velocity. In German and most other germanic languages compound words are written without spaces.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, German is a language for and by psychopaths. It's no wonder Hitler was born in that most degenerate of nations, Austria.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Mordja posted:

Yeah, German is a language for and by psychopaths. It's no wonder Hitler was born in that most degenerate of nations, Austria.

Austria, the Canada of Europe.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Mordja posted:

Good time to recommend Mark Twain's The Awful German Language.

quote:

Surely there is not another language that is so slipshod and systemless, and so slippery and elusive to the grasp. One is washed about in it, hither and thither, in the most helpless way; and when at last he thinks he has captured a rule which offers firm ground to take a rest on amid the general rage and turmoil of the ten parts of speech, he turns over the page and reads, "Let the pupil make careful note of the following exceptions." He runs his eye down and finds that there are more exceptions to the rule than instances of it.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kefkafloyd posted:

Kind of want to see a parody of spaghetti westerns, would be they called spätzle westerns now?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Klaus88 posted:

Its going to be turning point: fall of liberty, except not poo poo.

Machine games sense of humor just meshes so well with the setting. :allears:

God help me, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what their version of the MP40, the second most overused video game gun of all time, looks like.

i remember renting that game from gamefly in high school and being so excited and reading the glowing previews articles in EGM and other places. then it ended up being a buggy piece of poo poo with a lame ending. they had some cool ideas and i am a sucker for stupid alternative history poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtlOr9egG4g

but yeah. i am sure they will handle the issue fine, they seem to have actual compatent/great writers.

EDIT. also turning point has one of my biggest pet peeves in games. fps camera imbeded in the characters chest. its why gurrella games and a few other companies do and i hate it. it makes you look like your danny devito or a little person but your arms are attached to your head.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 14, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just noticed that the game show host on German Or Else is played by James Horan. I'd recognize that voice anywhere, Avitus.

Who wants a Terror Billy action figure to go up against Hans Grosse?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 14, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just noticed that the game show host on German Or Else is played by James Horan. I'd recognize that voice anywhere, Avitus.

He's Skull Face from MGS V. That's... oddly appropriate casting for a show about eliminating language. :stare:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

kefkafloyd posted:

He's Skull Face from MGS V. That's... oddly appropriate casting for a show about eliminating language. :stare:

Weerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

i knew i recognized him, though i thought it was peter weller.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I didn't recognize it at all, but now that you point it out, I can only hear Avitus.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Werix posted:

I didn't recognize it at all, but now that you point it out, I can only hear Avitus.

Oh god, you're right. :stare:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Werix posted:

You may also know him as the Warp Spider.... OR AS THE DREADNOUGHT!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If BJ really does lose his body in TNC, he just might be one by the time the third game rolls around...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler posted:

though anya voice actor said

I support the voice actor strike and all but this is why video game voice actors aren't allowed to know what games they're working on half the time.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guy Mann posted:

I support the voice actor strike and all but this is why video game voice actors aren't allowed to know what games they're working on half the time.

What if her line was, "Great job taking out Hitler, BJ!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

ehh, she is a polish actress i believe, she isnt a full time voice actor and it was a off hand comment in some interview about something else.

honestly i like the macine games tries to hire genuine german/polish actors instead of some american dude doing a accent.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

What if her line was, "Great job taking out Hitler, BJ!"

"I appreciate how you, William Jacob Blazkowicz, just killed Hitler in this, the second game in the latest Wolfenstein series. Yes, you certainly killed Hitler, and in this very game!"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i mean "you fight Hitler" in a game about Nazis is not exactly a massive spoiler

like, the only spoiler there is that Hitler didn't already die back in Wolf3D

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, it kinda is true that the Nazis weren't the biggest fans of the KKK, since the KKK was often effectively anti-German because of its anti-catholic (and prohibitionist) stance. Plus the Nazis had a general dislike of the "mongrel" Americans.

The KKK are pretty retarded since the Nazis were also anti catholic and were heavily pro protestant due to it's Germanic origins. I think the KKK as much as they would love their racial policy, would likely be resistance fighters since they really loving hated enemies of America (and anti German feelings were really drat strong post WW1 and beyond) and wouldn't like having their gun culture destroyed and their policy being led by dirty foreigners.

It would set up a great scene in TNC, the KKK go and offer BJ some sort of alliance and his response is to simply detonate their skulls with his trusted shotgun while claiming that they are simply nazis in dressing gowns or some poo poo. It would be sweet as gently caress.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The KKK would never be able to stand being forced to talk Jerman.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I can see it going either way. We're also talking about the US being conquered in the 50s here, the Klan wasn't anything like the power it had in the 20s. If the Nazis give them the chance to rise again they'd probably go for it.

Anyway who cares, Klansmen are good enemies the same way Nazis are since they deserve the axe you're burying in their skull. Guilt-free murder by the busload.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The KKK would never be able to stand being forced to talk Jerman.

I think it would be hilarious that not only has the USA's freedom fighters have capitulated, but their own racist cults have folded as well. Maybe the KKK ran a terrorist campaign against the occupation until they got their asses handed to them by the Atlantic Monitor or something, and then the Nazis brought back the organization as a puppet to get other racist cults to back them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shame there's no American group that's sold out its own supposedly deeply-held values for immediate political gain that they could compare to.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

BillBear posted:

The KKK are pretty retarded since the Nazis were also anti catholic and were heavily pro protestant due to it's Germanic origins. I think the KKK as much as they would love their racial policy, would likely be resistance fighters since they really loving hated enemies of America (and anti German feelings were really drat strong post WW1 and beyond) and wouldn't like having their gun culture destroyed and their policy being led by dirty foreigners.

It would set up a great scene in TNC, the KKK go and offer BJ some sort of alliance and his response is to simply detonate their skulls with his trusted shotgun while claiming that they are simply nazis in dressing gowns or some poo poo. It would be sweet as gently caress.

The Klan hated Catholics more than the nazis did.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

BillBear posted:

Similar ideology, whiter clothing.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Scalding Coffee posted:

Similar ideology, whiter clothing.

Winter Nazis.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I just want to kill Nazis and Klansmen in equally gratuitous fashions, is that so wrong?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

David D. Davidson posted:

I just want to kill Nazis and Klansmen in equally gratuitous fashions, is that so wrong?

nope and i am sure you will. i am sure there will be american collaborators and KKK type enimies.

Grand Fromage posted:

I can see it going either way. We're also talking about the US being conquered in the 50s here, the Klan wasn't anything like the power it had in the 20s. If the Nazis give them the chance to rise again they'd probably go for it.

Anyway who cares, Klansmen are good enemies the same way Nazis are since they deserve the axe you're burying in their skull. Guilt-free murder by the busload.

judging by the timeline, the soviets were crushed in 1946 and new york got destroyed in December 21, 1948 and america surrenders on the 24th so the nazi have had their way in america for 13 or so years. my guess is it looks alot like man in high castle america.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
has Japan ever been mentioned in the context of this mad scientist Nazi alternative timeline?

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

uber_stoat posted:

has Japan ever been mentioned in the context of this mad scientist Nazi alternative timeline?

They were defeated by the Nazis.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think there's newspaper articles about how the other axis powers were screwed over by Germany once the allies were defeated. I know there's one from an Italian newspaper that's all "The Nazis betrayed us! Their troops are moving in, we were fools to trust them!"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

China started winning against the Japanese so the nazis took China and made Japan a client/puppet state. Same with Italy.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Two Owls posted:

Basically

That's a very American way of looking at things. The Nazis were German supremacists, not white supremacists - with the rest of the Germanic race falling in the lower tier of the best race, the Italians on top of the second tier race, and so on. Please don't erase our proud European history of hating people based on poo poo Americans could hardly dream of.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 17, 2017