Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oda is the Mayweather of manga though and makes approximately 20 million a year from royalties and merchandising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

EmmyOk posted:

Oda is the Mayweather of manga though and makes approximately 20 million a year from royalties and merchandising.

Is it really worth it if you have no life though?

Then again, maybe he enjoys the lifestyle. I mean he could hire assistants if he wanted.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Odd mentions having assistants as far back as volume 4 or 5

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Oda has had plenty of assistants over the years. They mostly draw backgrounds, since Oda wants to draw all the "living" parts of the manga himself. He's super into it and allegedly that's part of the reason his schedule was so messed up.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I also dislike the new mid-show transitions. I miss the mystery of a different character each time. :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I'm up to Episode 554 now in Fish Man Island. I find it odd that Luffy felt so weirded out about being a hero, being that is pretty much what he does everywhere he goes. I mean poo poo, I can think of only one instance where the crew as a whole steals something. They don't really act like pirates at all, but more like adventurers who help troubled people whereever they go.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's because heroes have to play by the rules and also do stuff. he's a free rear end pirate and wants to be able to do anything he wants. "Heroes have to share their meat"

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The point is that pirates are selfish and only do what they want. Heroes do things for the greater good and others benefit.

Luffy and his crew is doing what they want to do, which happens to be the right thing, and people interpret that as heroism on their part.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Kild posted:

It's because heroes have to play by the rules and also do stuff. he's a free rear end pirate and wants to be able to do anything he wants. "Heroes have to share their meat"

SpartanIV posted:

The point is that pirates are selfish and only do what they want. Heroes do things for the greater good and others benefit.

Luffy and his crew is doing what they want to do, which happens to be the right thing, and people interpret that as heroism on their part.

See I want to pursue this argument, but I know it will open up a can of worms about altruism and other poo poo so I won't go down that road and just stop here rather than split hairs.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i mean luffy freed countless of the worst prisoners of all time in order to help wage war against the government in order to free another criminal (who, to be fair, might not have really done anything too hosed up but we don't really know)

he's not super just by any means but more interested in freedom, which means he should be free to beat the poo poo out of bad guys that bother him. its kinda unique for a shonen protag actually

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tbp posted:

i mean luffy freed countless of the worst prisoners of all time in order to help wage war against the government in order to free another criminal (who, to be fair, might not have really done anything too hosed up but we don't really know)

he's not super just by any means but more interested in freedom, which means he should be free to beat the poo poo out of bad guys that bother him. its kinda unique for a shonen protag actually

Plus the thing is, you can't really have your protagonists behave like actual pirates and still consider them the good guys. Hence why they don't really attack people unless they deserve it or it helps their ultimate goal in some way nor do any of them (aside from Nami and a few exceptions) really steal anything either. Hell, if you remember early on the entire reason they even got a bounty on them in the first place is because they made a corrupt Marine official look bad (of course, later waging a war on the government didn't do them any favors either).

While none of them are completely altruistic mind you, they're still pretty much just pirates in name only (like is the case in pretty much every other from of media that features a pirate or group of pirates as the main characters). As others said, it's more about the freedom than anything else. They do what they want, but it's just that what they want more often then not ends up being the right thing to do.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 14, 2017

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Larryb posted:

Plus the thing is, you can't really have your protagonists behave like actual pirates and still consider them the good guys. Hence why they don't really attack people unless they deserve it or it helps their ultimate goal in some way nor do any of them (aside from Nami and a few exceptions) really steal anything either. Hell, if you remember early on the entire reason they even got a bounty on them in the first place is because they made a corrupt Marine official look bad (of course, later waging a war on the government didn't do them any favors either).

While none of them are completely altruistic mind you, they're still pretty much just pirates in name only (like is the case in pretty much every other from of media that features a pirate or group of pirates as the main characters). As others said, it's more about the freedom than anything else. They do what they want, but it's just that what they want more often then not ends up being the right thing to do.

Pretty much this. I mean I think it's cool, but on the other hand I'd like to see a show take the "Pirate Adventure" premise and make the pirates act like actual pirates at times.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Pretty much this. I mean I think it's cool, but on the other hand I'd like to see a show take the "Pirate Adventure" premise and make the pirates act like actual pirates at times.

Not really sure how that would work unless it was some kind of Robin Hood-esque situation where they only stole from the bad guys or something (either that or possibly just make their enemies worse than them by comparison).

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Larryb posted:

Didn't Oda admit once that he doesn't have a real plan for the series and just kind of makes stuff up as he goes along? Also, I'm not caught up yet but has the manga shown any signs of getting even close to a conclusion at this point (I know they've at least reached the Grand Line by now)?

Nope. Dude has had it planned out, he just added stuff along the way which made arcs better like the Supanovas.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Asuron posted:

Nope. Dude has had it planned out, he just added stuff along the way which made arcs better like the Supanovas.

Yeah he had an outline of everything from the get-go but he's good enough and the outline is flexible enough to alterations like adding all the supernovas.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kild posted:

Yeah he had an outline of everything from the get-go but he's good enough and the outline is flexible enough to alterations like adding all the supernovas.

I do wonder which characters were originally supposed to play the role that someone like Law or Bege took in the original outline.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think Law always existed but not the other Supernovas

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Gyges posted:

I do wonder which characters were originally supposed to play the role that someone like Law or Bege took in the original outline.

Could have just been some note like "and they receive help from another group of pirates to kill big mom"
Or maybe the assassination plotline was only added much later, after bege was made

It'd be cool if a future data book (do they still do those?) had some notes on stuff like this, seeing how the story changed from initial plans is always fun

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

EmmyOk posted:

I think Law always existed but not the other Supernovas

Which is kind of weird. You'd think if any of them existed before it would be the T-Rex ex-Vice Admiral named Drake.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Perhaps but with the whole Dofalmingo/Law connection that definitely doesn't feel like it was added in later and makes Law the most essential SN.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Perhaps but with the whole Dofalmingo/Law connection that definitely doesn't feel like it was added in later and makes Law the most essential SN.

It feels like a retcon to me. Law as we saw him on Saobondy was just another guy who wanted to be Pirate King; the stuff about revenge came later.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

It feels like a retcon to me. Law as we saw him on Saobondy was just another guy who wanted to be Pirate King; the stuff about revenge came later.

No I don't agree because I don't think there was really time to explain much about Law at the time.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
It's pretty obvious the connection was always there when you compare their symbols

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

rannum posted:

Could have just been some note like "and they receive help from another group of pirates to kill big mom"
Or maybe the assassination plotline was only added much later, after bege was made

It'd be cool if a future data book (do they still do those?) had some notes on stuff like this, seeing how the story changed from initial plans is always fun

It would be interesting to see how much things ended up deviating from the original plan yes. Though if we got something like that it probably wouldn't be for a while as my guess is this series still has at least another 2-3 years left in it if not more.

Though it does make me curious as to who the "final boss" of the series will be as there isn't really a central antagonist in One Piece per se. I'm guessing Blackbeard due to the personal connection with Luffy, though Kaido could be another (less likely) possibility (somehow I doubt Big Mom is going to last much further than the current arc but who knows) or it could be something like Marineford but on a much larger scale. We also still don't know much about what the titular One Piece actually is (I'm guessing it's something a little more than just a vast horde of treasure).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 15, 2017

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

It would be interesting to see how much things ended up deviating from the original plan yes. Though if we got something like that it probably wouldn't be for a while as my guess is this series still has at least another 2-3 years left in it if not more.

Though it does make me curious as to who the "final boss" of the series will be as there isn't really a central antagonist in One Piece per se. I'm guessing Blackbeard due to the personal connection with Luffy, though Kaido could be another (less likely) possibility (somehow I doubt Big Mom is going to last much further than the current arc but who knows) or it could be something like Marineford but on a much larger scale. We also still don't know much about what the titular One Piece actually is (I'm guessing it's something a little more than just a vast horde of treasure).

I guess it has to be Blackbeard by default? Akainu isn't quite strong enough, the Elder Stars aren't individualized enough, and Kaidou is being set up as the main villain of the next arc. The alternative is that it's a fight against one of the Ancient Weapons rather than a person.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I guess it has to be Blackbeard by default? Akainu isn't quite strong enough, the Elder Stars aren't individualized enough, and Kaidou is being set up as the main villain of the next arc. The alternative is that it's a fight against one of the Ancient Weapons rather than a person.

Yeah that makes sense. As an aside, I abandoned the anime after Arlong Park to focus on the manga but I was just curious if there were any particular arcs that are worth seeing animated?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Blackbeard almost certainly gets beat up before Luffy claims One Piece, which is likely going to be followed by the final arc where the Strawhats fix the problems that arose from the Void Century.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

tbp posted:

I remember reading once in a D&D book a suggestion for a plane where the primary axis of conflict is not Good vs Evil but rather Law vs Chaos, and I think that fits the show rather well.

The Marines represent Law, and the pirates are Chaos. The battle between Good and Evil is a secondary axis of conflict, so you still see it (e.g. Luffy vs other pirates), but Marines are more likely to fight alongside other Marines even if one is Evil and the other is Good, and same with the pirates.

Luffy doesn't really talk much about good, but he does mention freedom a lot.

I'm pretty sure the final boss is going to have to do with the secret of the Devil Fruits and whatever prevented Gol D Rodger from fully completing his quest. There were some hints made about these things a while ago, but I don't remember where. I feel like Blackbeard will fit into that somehow and be the final showdown. Especially since I'm pretty sure he personally has a fruit of every of the 3 types.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 16, 2017

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

quote:

Especially since I'm pretty sure he personally has a fruit of every of the 3 types.
Is that a reference to something manga folks only know about? I don't ever remember black beard collecting fruits, only that he was on the hunt for a specific fruit.

Also I don't ever remember Gol D Roger NOT completing his quest, I thought he got One Piece and surrendered because he was dying.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Suspicious Lump posted:

Is that a reference to something manga folks only know about? I don't ever remember black beard collecting fruits, only that he was on the hunt for a specific fruit.

It's a fan theory about why he was able to take Whitebeard's Devil Fruit. Speculation is that he can have one of each type (as the darkness fruit is a weird Logia and the quake one is an especially powerful Paramecia). One theory is that he already has a Mythic Zoan fruit, along the lines of the Dog-Dog Fruit (Model: Cerberus) which means he counts as having 'multiple bodies' or some such. Also hinted at by his Jolly Roger having three skulls.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I remember reading once in a D&D book a suggestion for a plane where the primary axis of conflict is not Good vs Evil but rather Law vs Chaos, and I think that fits the show rather well.

The Marines represent Law, and the pirates are Chaos. The battle between Good and Evil is a secondary axis of conflict, so you still see it (e.g. Luffy vs other pirates), but Marines are more likely to fight alongside other Marines even if one is Evil and the other is Good, and same with the pirates.

Luffy doesn't really talk much about good, but he does mention freedom a lot.

I'm pretty sure the final boss is going to have to do with the secret of the Devil Fruits and whatever prevented Gol D Rodger from fully completing his quest. There were some hints made about these things a while ago, but I don't remember where. I feel like Blackbeard will fit into that somehow and be the final showdown. Especially since I'm pretty sure he personally has a fruit of every of the 3 types.

Speaking of which, I forget but was there ever a point in the series where a Marine willingly helped the Straw Hat crew (because aside from stuff like Marineford more often than not the gang has brought down more criminals than the Marines ever did)? I know there's a few that have at least a begrudging respect for Luffy on some level at any rate.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 17, 2017

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

IIRC the Punk Hazard arc feature's Smokers elite marines fighting alongside the Straw Hats.

Also there's a bunch of instances where a marine picks up respect for them and is like 'oh no they're getting away' while not actually trying to chase them down.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Larryb posted:

For years I thought it would end up being Blackbeard or Akainu (with Akainu being the more likely one to be fought last; the story seems to be leading up to Luffy becoming the Pirate King and then waging war against the government) but after the scene with Akainu and the Elder Stars at the end of Dressrosa, I'm not really sure he'll end up being the ultimate representative of the World Government in the end (even if I can't really see him being defeated before the final arc).

I think the ultimate enemy is going to be the Celestial Dragons somehow; they seem to be the ultimate evil of the setting and are probably the reason the World Government is as warped as it is. Maybe the "last boss" will just be, like, the ancient weapons revived under their control or something.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Zark the Damned posted:

It's a fan theory about why he was able to take Whitebeard's Devil Fruit. Speculation is that he can have one of each type (as the darkness fruit is a weird Logia and the quake one is an especially powerful Paramecia). One theory is that he already has a Mythic Zoan fruit, along the lines of the Dog-Dog Fruit (Model: Cerberus) which means he counts as having 'multiple bodies' or some such. Also hinted at by his Jolly Roger having three skulls.
Thanks for explaining, I haven't heard of that theory before. I guess this solves the issue of why his body can handle not only multiple devil fruits but also huge amounts of damage. I always assumed he was a freak and could handle huge amounts of damage but the idea he's hacked the devil fruit powers is really cool.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

Thanks for explaining, I haven't heard of that theory before. I guess this solves the issue of why his body can handle not only multiple devil fruits but also huge amounts of damage. I always assumed he was a freak and could handle huge amounts of damage but the idea he's hacked the devil fruit powers is really cool.

It also explains how he's able to steal fruits from people as Cerberus has the ability to sucks souls.
I think they mentioned him stealing more from other dead people? Or maybe I'm misremembering.
Either way, they definitely mention them trying to steal as many as they can.
It would really suck to be part of that crew and eat some lame fruit, and then the next day, they find a really good one.
Though the fruits do seem to have some kind of element of fate or whatever to them, which seems to match people with appropriate fruits.

I'm liking this arc so far. The pacing isn't too painful and the stuff happening is fairly interesting so far.
I think the Bis Bis fruit's weakness is going to be water, or just any kind of liquid. I had been thinking that for a while now, but now that he's fallen into a river bed, I think that's what's going to happen.

Also, when they first showed Big Mom, it seemed like they were implying she was going to have acid powers. I guess this is a far more interesting direction since acid and poison are basically synonymous in One Piece and Magellan basically already did everything that could be done with that.

It's going to be strange when they switch to the other half of the crew and it's going to be a whole Luffy-less arc. I guess Zoro will take over?

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Anyone else disturbed by the reckless destruction of min-souls? Every time a tree or plant dies, a little bit of someones lifespan disappears. :(.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

While the pacing isn't terrible per se, I think they over-did how powerful the Generals are. I the end of the Dressrosa arc already had Luffy going into 4th gear twice to beat Doflamingo, and now he's having to do it again just to get rid of one of the quirky miniboss brigade?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

if it makes you feel any better its anime only padding

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Lump posted:

Anyone else disturbed by the reckless destruction of min-souls? Every time a tree or plant dies, a little bit of someones lifespan disappears. :(.

Yeah, I was sad about that too. Must really suck to keep giving up your lifespan to animate some rear end in a top hat flowers. And then on top of it, one of your own people slaughters them all just by walking around.

Edit: Imagine if they have to pay taxes too.

Zark the Damned posted:

While the pacing isn't terrible per se, I think they over-did how powerful the Generals are. I the end of the Dressrosa arc already had Luffy going into 4th gear twice to beat Doflamingo, and now he's having to do it again just to get rid of one of the quirky miniboss brigade?

Kild posted:

if it makes you feel any better its anime only padding

Actually, makes me feel worse.
I didn't realize the anime had filler like that. Were other fights changed before as well?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

King Kong Gun doesn't struggle at all against Doffy it immediately wrecks him