Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

My squad still isn't fifty. Am I missing out on anything? I basically stopped when I got my gc rank up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Azim and Nhaama, whoever they are, have yet to be properly revealed.

There are some weird technological things afoot in Othard, such as the freaking Space Elevator in Ruby Sea.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

LordHippoman posted:

Welp, here I am.

That's. Uh. That's a hell of a way to segue into an expansion.

I was iffy on the Ishgard plot, but it seems like the game is building towards something cool with it, and it looks like they aren't afraid to shake up the story status quo too much, so I've got high hopes for Heavensward. The only complaints I can really give for the ending of ARR were that the engine limitations made some of the animations a little lame (Raubahn's hand falling off) and that Minfilia's reason for staying behind was out of nowhere and not explained at all, like she was just getting yanked offstage by a cane.

Early/Mid HW spoilers: Not too far off the mark. You know those times where you kinda black out and appear before the Mothercrystal? She basically had one of those and got new orders, so to speak.

quote:

Also I'm upset you can't craft Raubahn's murder face as a painting, because I want that in my apartment forever :allears:

2.5-HW transition cutscenes: I reaaaally wonder what Teledji thought he was accomplishing by provoking Raubahn with all but confessing to the murder of his platonic life partner...

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It doesn't.

Bahamut and Tiamat were on Merycidia for pretty much all of their lives, and were quite fond of eachother. They lived in peace with the inhabitants of the land until the Allagans attacked.

The Au Ra were created in the far East by Azim and Nhaama to fight their proxy war, as the two of them were bitter rivals in their quest to rule the new world.

Gearhead posted:

Azim and Nhaama, whoever they are, have yet to be properly revealed.

There are some weird technological things afoot in Othard, such as the freaking Space Elevator in Ruby Sea.

Unless they release conclusive evidence of a connection that isn't just Dawn and Dusk, the relationship between the two pairs are entirely coincidental. I mean, it's not like our creation myths are all entirely unique stories with no coincidental similarities at all.

Edit: It's entirely possible that it's not a coincidence and there is a connection because it's a common trend in fiction. But given that work and detail put forth into FFXIV worldbuilding, I'm not going to assume they're doing the usual no-such-thing-as-coincidence with this.

Argas fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 14, 2017

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Early/Mid HW spoilers: Not too far off the mark. You know those times where you kinda black out and appear before the Mothercrystal? She basically had one of those and got new orders, so to speak.

2.5-HW transition cutscenes: I reaaaally wonder what Teledji thought he was accomplishing by provoking Raubahn with all but confessing to the murder of his platonic life partner...

This is pretty much the saving grace for going all the way through ARR without skipping ahead to HW. My reactions must have been priceless, too.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
So I bought the item to make my BLM automatically lvl 60 and am having trouble with other players messing up my rotation. So far I've got the following down:
Sharpcast > Fire > Flare > Convert > Flare > Transpose > Swiftcast > Flare > Elixir (item) > Flare

As the last flare is casting I yell at the other caster to give me mana so I can cast Flare again but they often say they don't have the ability on their bar. Is there a way to get these players reported for having the wrong job skills? If I don't get that 5th flare in it really tanks my dps and I feel that people are being really selfish with their mana

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Poe's Law is strong with that post. :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How accurate is using ping and/or windows performance monitor for checking latency? Because one thing that has put me off the game is that the combat feels very "floaty" but if these numbers are correct I've been playing with like 250ms and uh... yeah. No wonder it felt like a complete disconnect between when I hit buttons and when damage occurs. :eng99:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

small brain: doing your rotation correctly
medium brain: not using any aoes ever
galaxy brain:

999 dps in doma castle. how do these people even breathe.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

perfmon is sometimes weird, try pinging 204.2.229.41 (that's where NA servers are)
goons also play on an EU server if it's too bad

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
You're EU right? Are you playing on Excalibur? I think you are too late to jump ship to Omega, an EU realm which a bunch of europeans jumped to recently.

Regardless, the game always feels somewhat floaty even with a good connection. Relics of 1.0 net code abound.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Ibram Gaunt posted:

galaxy brain:

"if i aoe i run out of tp :downs:"

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think he believed that :sloppy: would protect him

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

I didn't really feel like messing with "combat mode", instead I'll just use all the new hotbar space we gained in SB to put combat actions like sprint and countdowns and markers, /comfort on healers etc in my combat ability bars. This gives me so much more screen real estate though, I ditched 5 hotbars for this. My catgirls visible on screen per minute is WAY UP.

Pretty happy with how it turned out! It's understated that it's kind of a pain to change or add to bars later. You have to remember what job had what bar. For instance, my gladiator 7 unshared bar contains all my physical combat jobs, and i have to edit that bar by swapping to the job and making the bar visible to edit it there since it's the original, I can't just edit the visible bars because it won't be saved. After a week I'm sure I won't be fiddling with them as much as I did in the last couple hours though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nuru posted:

My squad still isn't fifty. Am I missing out on anything? I basically stopped when I got my gc rank up.

You can send them once per week out to get 5 scrolls that give buffs that mimic company buffs basically. They don't stack with company buffs but it does let you sorta have a third buff for two hours at a time.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 14, 2017

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Tank role Samurai was in our hearts all along

It does make Susano clash either ridiculous or FUCKIN BADASS though.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

nuru posted:

It was a good way to get an efficient stream of crafting and gathering scrips in 3.x. Haven't leveled a DoH or DoL to 70 yet, so not sure if it gives yellow scrips once you do; if it stays with red scrips though once it's basically useless at this point.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Magil Zeal posted:

You can send them once per week out to get 5 scrolls that give buffs that mimic company buffs basically. They don't stack with company buffs but it does let you sorta have a third buff for two hours at a time.

They're also better than the company buffs by noticeable margins

jalapeno_dude posted:

It was a good way to get an efficient stream of crafting and gathering scrips in 3.x. Haven't leveled a DoH or DoL to 70 yet, so not sure if it gives yellow scrips once you do; if it stays with red scrips though once it's basically useless at this point.

You need 15,000 red gatherer's scrips for all the folklore tomes, at any rate

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

They're also better than the company buffs by noticeable margins

I thought they were on the same level as the aetherial wheel ones? I'm pretty sure the EXP one is. They're better than the ones you can buy from GCs yeah.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

DRG 50-60 starts that way, you training a fresh dragoon. The story branches off pretty quick so it's not about that, and as for skills you just make poo poo up as you go, thanks to Midgardsomr's aether or whatever.

I really like how "make poo poo up as you go" translates to "ok then, loving dragon lasers" to the WoL.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FisheyStix posted:

I really like how "make poo poo up as you go" translates to "ok then, loving dragon lasers" to the WoL.

I mean

wouldn't you?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

You're EU right? Are you playing on Excalibur? I think you are too late to jump ship to Omega, an EU realm which a bunch of europeans jumped to recently.

Regardless, the game always feels somewhat floaty even with a good connection. Relics of 1.0 net code abound.

Yes and yes :( What do you mean by too late to jump ship though? Honestly my MMO playing is so sporadic that there's not much point in joining a guild anyway so it's probably no big deal.. But it sucks about the server transfer fee if I want to move to a better server though.

And yeah, the game is definitely always a bit floaty (the over-the-top effects that feel completely disconnected from the actual combat probably don't help) but I did notice a pretty big change going from Excalibur to a EU server just in terms of Pres Botan -> Thing Happen :v:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
YES :allears::allears::allears:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Yes and yes :( What do you mean by too late to jump ship though? Honestly my MMO playing is so sporadic that there's not much point in joining a guild anyway so it's probably no big deal.. But it sucks about the server transfer fee if I want to move to a better server though.

And yeah, the game is definitely always a bit floaty (the over-the-top effects that feel completely disconnected from the actual combat probably don't help) but I did notice a pretty big change going from Excalibur to a EU server just in terms of Pres Botan -> Thing Happen :v:
You should join a FC even if you don't play that much, because of the buffs + people to help you do stuff especially if you're a dps

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

galaxy brain:

how do you at least not use empyreal arrow? like everything else I can go yeah I guess someone who was bad at the class but empyreal arrow is an extra, fun button to press that doesn't require anything complex. they at least had enough brainpower to use bloodletter.

no iron jaws either. are you sure this guy actually upgraded to Bard? are they rolling doma castle as an Archer?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

My theory is that they played archer to level 20 and then boosted and refused to add any buttons at all to their rotation.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, Teledji was a ruthless poo poo but not very bright and thought his position was much stronger than it actually was at every point in his plot. Which is why Lolorito managed to mastermind his way into control of the whole thing without Teledji realizing.

Overplaying his position with the taunt was just fatal hubris instead of regular hubris.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Argas posted:

Unless they release conclusive evidence of a connection that isn't just Dawn and Dusk, the relationship between the two pairs are entirely coincidental. I mean, it's not like our creation myths are all entirely unique stories with no coincidental similarities at all.

Edit: It's entirely possible that it's not a coincidence and there is a connection because it's a common trend in fiction. But given that work and detail put forth into FFXIV worldbuilding, I'm not going to assume they're doing the usual no-such-thing-as-coincidence with this.

There is an interesting thing about the Steppes: If you go up to the cave where that girl went to kill herself in such a way as to end her reincarnation, you find a huge complex of strange crystals covered in runes. Not normal rune formations at all, and also not Allagan. This is where her tribe goes to rejoin the Dusk Mother and break the cycle. Now, from a purely technical perspective they are not INCORRECT that reincarnation happens and you lose who you were before. Perhaps the Au Ra were, originally, pieces in some sort of living wargame? Perhaps the Dawn Father and Dusk Mother are.. well.. Red Team and Blue Team's control units.

Gearhead fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 14, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
What do I need to do if I want to craft the Paissa house for my own house?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Better taste.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

Serious question: do you really expect people to list every ingredient for you when you could just look it up on your own?

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Please never forget that the first Dragoon job quest goes like this:

NPC: You saw /The Azure Dragoon?
WoL: I guess?
NPC: Well now, that makes you a Dragoon too!
*hands over job crystal*

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordiceius posted:

Start up the paissa walls project in a company workshop (unlock it from the plans board first if needed), and turn in all the materials for every step.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

Serious question: do you really expect people to list every ingredient for you when you could just look it up on your own?

No. I just didn't see it listed under craftable things, so I wasn't aware where I even went. Wasn't aware it's a company workshop thing.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Jimmy Hats posted:

So I bought the item to make my BLM automatically lvl 60 and am having trouble with other players messing up my rotation. So far I've got the following down:
Sharpcast > Fire > Flare > Convert > Flare > Transpose > Swiftcast > Flare > Elixir (item) > Flare

As the last flare is casting I yell at the other caster to give me mana so I can cast Flare again but they often say they don't have the ability on their bar. Is there a way to get these players reported for having the wrong job skills? If I don't get that 5th flare in it really tanks my dps and I feel that people are being really selfish with their mana

source your quotes because i want to see the loving OF thread this is from lmao

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Tsurupettan posted:

source your quotes because i want to see the loving OF thread this is from lmao

why would the OF actually know how you're supposed to play BLM

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If I'm a summoner paired with a blm I would gladly give them mp if they had a macro saying "mana shift me now so I can flare more"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Unfortunately I don't think mana shift will work on someone in Astral Fire.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Isn't it only refresh effects that get eaten by Astral/Darkside?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

pray for my aunt posted:

Isn't it only refresh effects that get eaten by Astral/Darkside?

Yeah. Direct influences on MP, like Ethers, are fine. And it's not that Astral blocks Refresh. It just kills your natural regeneration which is so much stronger than Refresh. Unless it's a new 4.0 thing I'm not aware of.