Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You can get a similar effect with bottle cap stickers. Having a hole punch is definitely easier than doing it with an Xacto knife or scissors, but it's workable. The stickers themselves are clear blisters with adhesive backing. You can get a hundred of 'em for about six bucks on Amazon.

If you're feeling really fancy and spendy/have access to a laser cutter, you can get the same effect with acrylic circles and some Mod Podge. Take your plastic, slap the glue on so that it's evenly coated, and then stick your printed-out monster, counter, PC portrait, whatever onto the bottom. It dries clear, and I like the weight you get from them better than just the stickers alone. The acrylic stuff will cost you more, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Today I got to chatting with an intern at my job who it turned out is hugely into nerd poo poo and always wanted to try D&D as well but didn't know how to join a group. I don't have a group locally but thought, hey, might be fun making one, and got as far as "well, I DM regularly" before she continued "and anyway you have to read up on all that lore and I just don't have the time for that." Then she told me about The Gamers and how funny the pile of dead bards and luring the paladin away from the torture were.

This is why I don't reach out.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Today I got to chatting with an intern at my job who it turned out is hugely into nerd poo poo and always wanted to try D&D as well but didn't know how to join a group. I don't have a group locally but thought, hey, might be fun making one, and got as far as "well, I DM regularly" before she continued "and anyway you have to read up on all that lore and I just don't have the time for that." Then she told me about The Gamers and how funny the pile of dead bards and luring the paladin away from the torture were.

Why? Sounds to me like she pretty much gets it already.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

I bought a pile of magic commons for cheap on ebay, and went to town with a 1" hole cutter and keep them semi-organized in coin pages in a binder.

If I'm feeling fancy, I glue them to 1" zinc washers that were a couple bucks for a hundred at any hardware store.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Dagon posted:

I bought a pile of magic commons for cheap on ebay, and went to town with a 1" hole cutter and keep them semi-organized in coin pages in a binder.

If I'm feeling fancy, I glue them to 1" zinc washers that were a couple bucks for a hundred at any hardware store.
I really need to make some of these for my games. Trying to use dice as minis for Shadowrun or Fragged Empire gets really confusing.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing the issue here. At least not with her.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

She sounds like loving normie scum so D&D is perfect for her

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm confused what the problem is here.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm making the 2 cat face whilst thinking about whatever The Gamers (proper noun) is.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dagon posted:

Dude, I got a ton of 1" washers for my games, and they annoy me daily with the alea tools markers.

You see, the alea tools have a tiny neodymium magnet in the middle. Washers have a big hole in the middle. So the washers will never sit cleanly on the center of the magnets; they will slide off to one side or another.

Look for ... heck, I forget what they are called - maybe blanks? 1" metal discs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Girl: Wowwww!!! This is like, you need to roll the dice just like Felicia Day in that webseries? Tee hee, this is so like, wild. I'm gonna take a picture of this miniature and post it on instagram because that's how geeky I am.

Me: Saint Elliot the Reckoner of skunts, please guide my blade, for I must do what must be done.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Countblanc posted:

I'm making the 2 cat face whilst thinking about whatever The Gamers (proper noun) is.
It's therapy for people those of us who had to play D&D 3rd edition because there were no other games going.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

Dude, I got a ton of 1" washers for my games, and they annoy me daily with the alea tools markers.
I'd say washers are perfectly fine if you're not using the status markers though.

If you wanted to take it one more step, I really do recommend trying out the bottle cap stickers. They really make the pogs look nice for not much extra time or cost.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ImpactVector posted:

I'd say washers are perfectly fine if you're not using the status markers though.
Totally fine, yep. I'm just giving a heads up because the alea markers are pretty common. And great, too. They just don't always work together.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I had 2 people join my board game group and we had a good time playing Laser's and Feelings. That's my "randos playing RPGs" story, thanks for listening.

EDIT: As for minis, use whatever tiny toy you have the most of, most readily available. I use Heroclix because I got really into it and have a ton with enough duplicates to easily represent dudes, and enough iconic characters to use them as shorthand. Also, since for local games I tend to go more improv, I can just use half a Heroclix map if a fight breaks out and it's usually got enough to be ok.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Just kinda disheartening to meet someone who's into this dumb thing but immediately get the vibe they're looking for very different things in it is all. :shrug:

e: I mean, I'm still gonna go for it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just kinda disheartening to meet someone who's into this dumb thing but immediately get the vibe they're looking for very different things in it is all. :shrug:

e: I mean, I'm still gonna go for it.

Something I have found useful with new players is to prompt them with:
"This is like playing a character in a TV show." And then I pick a show that both myself and the player is familiar, since serialized TV is cool and popular now, and sort of explain the mechanics in that light.

Good results so far, but I also am blessed in that they usually have a lot of buy-in before I do this usually.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Girl: Wowwww!!! This is like, you need to roll the dice just like Felicia Day in that webseries? Tee hee, this is so like, wild. I'm gonna take a picture of this miniature and post it on instagram because that's how geeky I am.

Me: Saint Elliot the Reckoner of skunts, please guide my blade, for I must do what must be done.

shut up plutonis

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Cease to Hope posted:

shut up plutonis

A better idea: put him on ignore and stop emptyquoting him.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You have a really unhealthy grudge and its getting kinda creepy tbh.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I can't remember the last time you weren't shitposting plutonis.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kwyndig posted:

I can't remember the last time you weren't shitposting plutonis.
Last implies such a time exists.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Once upon a time, Plutonis actually made some effortposts in F&F about a Brazilian RPG. But these halcyon days are long gone and can never return.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Jerk detected! This user is on your ignore list, click to view post anyway

If you see something other than that, you're doing it wrong.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Last week, my brother asked me to help him prepare to GM for a game of D&D.

His regular boardgaming group, who've played games like Ticket to Ride, Machi-Koro, King of Tokyo, Settlers of Catan, 18xx, and Power Grid, wanted to try role-playing, and he was the most experienced, since I roped him and my dad into playing a oneshot of Microlite20 two years ago when I was just getting started on the hobby and needed guinea pigs.

The first thing I did was to emphasize that if he wanted to play D&D, he should know that it's at its best depicting combat in a high-magic, high-fantasy environment, and that straying too far afield from the core gameplay conceit of going into dungeons and slaying dragons would mean ignoring a lot of the rules of the game at best, and feel unsatisfying at worst. He responded by saying that his group was invested in tactical combat, and that they knew what the genre conventions were and were planning to stick by it, so I said fair enough.

At this point, my only dead-tree books available were the PHBs for AD&D 2e and D&D 3.5, and then Exemplars and Eidolons, and Swords & Wizardry White Box. I figured the OSR might be too esoteric and unintentionally deadly for them, so we decided on D&D 3.5 PHB.

I gave him the book, a print-out of the Scourge of the Howling Horde adventure, a print-out of the level 1 pregens from Green Ronin's Death in Freeport, a print-out of DM Screen panels, 13 sets of dice, a bunch of pencils and index cards, a small set of miniatures, a NoteBoard(TM) to be used as a battlemat, and prepared this introductory text to mechanics and gameplay: Pastebin link . It's not strictly RAW, and includes some houserules based on my personal experiences, but I thought that it was close enough.

I also gave him advice about skill checks (don't ask for a roll if nothing is at stake, and if there's a roll, tell them what's at stake), told him to keep the martial characters empowered, gave him a quick rule of thumb about setting skill check DCs (start at 10, increase by 2 with every success, decrease by 2 with every failure), referred him to JackMann's blog for general advice on how to DM, and warned him about the 15-minute workday. I also told him about not resolving personal conflicts in-game and how to deal with uncomfortable subjects, but I assume that he already knows about that from his boardgaming days since he thinks Cards Against Humanity is trash.

They had their first session yesterday, which he said went fine. According to him, the only thing they missed was that:

* Standard Actions can be used to move again
* they thought that "Characters who have not yet acted only use their Flat-footed AC" meant that you needed to "act" as in do something and not just take their turn
* nobody used Action Points

I asked him for a more detailed trip report, and if he gets around to it, I plan on following-up, but I feel like I've now gone full-circle for being the "big brother" that introduces their sibling to the hobby, and I hope that between my advice and his prior experience with boardgames, that I've not created a grognard. This is also my thanks to this community specifically for being a great group of folks in general.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jul 13, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

18xx eh? Buy him a copy of the Rules Compendium. :getin:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

DigitalRaven posted:

This bores me. Let's talk about, like, Zak S for a page or two.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

DigitalRaven posted:

Every time someone ignores Plutonis, his power level increases.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I just want to make jokes and talk about tabletop games, not sure why people are that whiffed off by it :shrug:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Plutonis posted:

I just want to make jokes and talk about tabletop games, not sure why people are that whiffed off by it :shrug:

:same:

I get that we don't have to like each other all the time, but it's pretty groggy to ignore someone on an internet comedy forum when you can be relatively sure that they'll get probated/banned for saying stupid poo poo. Besides, something-something broken clocks are right twice a day.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 13, 2017

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

It is not groggy to ignore people on a forum especially when your perceived alternative is to whine about them posting every few pages.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The solution is to do neither of those things.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

fool_of_sound posted:

Unrelated, what are some cute restaurant building games I can play with my girlfriend. I'm looking at like, Sushi-Go/Loveletter complexity or maybe a little more, so FCM is probably out unless one of you goons is willing to make a video tutorial.
Bonus points if it's easily playable online.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fool_of_sound posted:

dang that's a good avatar

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i mean gently caress blissey and chansey but as far as they go, it's good

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moriatti posted:

Unrelated, what are some cute restaurant building games I can play with my girlfriend. I'm looking at like, Sushi-Go/Loveletter complexity or maybe a little more, so FCM is probably out unless one of you goons is willing to make a video tutorial.
Bonus points if it's easily playable online.

There's Kitchen Rush, which is a cooperative real-time game about working in a kitchen, Wok Star which is also a cooperative real-time game about working in a kitchen. Unfortunately neither are about building said restaurant though.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
plutonis is just all right with me

plutonis is just alright (oh yeah)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

The previous one was kinda freaky, so I prefer it muchly.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Countblanc posted:

https://firefightdex.tumblr.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
In an effort to move chatty discussion out of the TG industry thread I want to continue talking about sports rpgs here

I'd be interested in seeing both tactical and narrative-based sports rpgs. There's certainly enough material for either approach to produce compelling games. A tactical sports game would certainly have a lot in common with a board/war game, but 4e managed to be a tactical rpg so there's certainly ways to go about it. Playing through the locker room drama would be engaging, too, and might come out resembling something close to WWW rpg. I could see emulating a sport with a lot of positions being handled either through players cycling through 3-4 simple characters they control or by abstracting players into different offensive/defensive/special roles (coaches, mascots, the crowd, etc.)

sports are cool

• Locked thread