Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
:rip: avs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

justice for avshalom

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Cricket Australia's chairman has been sounded out by Malcolm Turnbull for advice on who should be the country's next defence boss as the Prime Minister contemplates a wide-ranging shakeup of security and intelligence agencies.

More than two months have passed since widely respected and long-serving bureaucrat Dennis Richardson stepped down as Defence Department secretary, and there is growing anticipation in military ranks over who will replace him.

Immigration Department Secretary Mike Pezzullo and Australian Strategic Policy Institute executive director Peter Jennings are widely considered the current favourites for the prized position.

Other candidates believed to be in the running are Department of Human Services Secretary and Army Reserve Officer Kathryn Campbell, Department of Health Secretary Martin Bowles or even the acting Defence Department Secretary Brendan Sargeant.

However Mr Turnbull is understood to be underwhelmed by current options in the public service and keen to find someone with private sector experience.

The ABC can reveal he has recently turned to former Rio Tinto managing director and current Cricket Australia chairman David Peever for guidance.

In 2014, the former mining boss led a sweeping examination of the Defence Department known as the First Principles Review, and until last month was still chairing the oversight committee charged with implementing its recommendations.

Mr Turnbull has also been busy grappling with a possible restructure of Australia's major security and intelligence agencies which could soon be brought together as part of a new, super-ministry modelled on the United Kingdom's Home Office.

Speaking alongside British Prime Minister and former Home Secretary Theresa May in London this week, Mr Turnbull signalled the UK example could be adopted.

"The UK has an integrated Home Office and, in fact, Theresa was the Home Secretary and they have all their domestic security agencies, MI5, police and border protection, as all part of that," he said.

"We have to be dynamic, :siren:agile:siren: — constantly asking can we improve the way our agencies are keeping Australians safe and will always continue to seek to improve them."

The prospect of a new homeland security super-ministry based around the existing Department of Immigration and Border Protection, while absorbing ASIO and the Australian Federal Police, has sharply divided the Turnbull cabinet.

Ministers who are critical of the idea, including Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, Attorney General George Brandis and Justice Minister Michael Keenan, believe federal agencies are currently working well together and argue: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

A new mega portfolio would see ASIO transferred from the Attorney General, and the AFP moved from the Justice Minister, to be overseen by a new homeland security minister who would almost certainly be the current Immigration Minister and leading conservative cabinet figure Peter Dutton.

Putting Mr Dutton in charge of a new homeland security department would help quell anger from some of the Government's internal conservative critics, but would also likely to be the trigger for a wider ministerial reshuffle.

Next week is likely to provide further clues of the Government's thinking when a summary of a wide ranging review of Australia's intelligence community is publicly released.

A senior Government source insists the report by former public officials Michael L'Estrange and Stephen Merchant makes far broader recommendations than simply how security agencies should be administered in the future.

Senior Defence figures have told the ABC they are not overly bothered over whether national security agencies are brought under a new umbrella organisation.

The fierce tussle over how national security agencies should be managed has not just played out in government ranks, with opinions also split among opposition frontbenchers on whether a new homeland security department is needed.

Several Labor party sources have confirmed Shadow Cabinet members "robustly" debated whether to support a new homeland security mega-portfolio if the Government chooses to establish one.

The ABC has been told Shadow Attorney General Mark Dreyfus and Shadow Foreign Minister Penny Wong, like their Government counterparts, are staunchly opposed to the idea.

Labor's Defence spokesman Richard Marles is said to have been more open to the idea, but has now accepted his party's official position that "the bar for change is high — our intelligence and enforcement agencies already work very well together".

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah, we should probably strive to emulate the UK wrt security, they've had a pretty good record recently

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Peter Grace has had his YouTube channel deleted because apparently some of the people he targets aren't actually that much of a big fan of free speech after all.

:australia:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
:siren: Major Aus Pol trigger warnign!!!!!!! :siren:

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...d07a2c56be7d54d

quote:

Sequel of Mamma Mia! announced ten years after the first musical movie was released

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Let's be more agile by creating bigger and more monolithic departments until we're down to three.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The Honorable Ministers representing the portfolios of Spectacles, Testicles, Wallet and Watch

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I was mistaken, make it 4 ministries

Truth, Love, Peace & Plenty

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Zenithe posted:

Peter Grace has had his YouTube channel deleted because apparently some of the people he targets aren't actually that much of a big fan of free speech after all.

:australia:

So much for the tolerant right. :smug:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mike Pezzullo was at Customs and is one of the main figures responsible for the militiarisation of the Immigration Department (remember all the stories about how many medals they get?).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Setting out sweeping new laws that look to pit the federal government and security agencies against US tech companies Apple and Facebook, prime minister Malcolm Turnbull said the laws of Australia take precedence over the laws of mathematics.

The statement came during an exchange with a technology journalist at a Sydney press conference on Friday, after Turnbull had laid out the government's plans that seek to give police agencies access to encrypted messaging platforms like WhatsApp and iMessage through a warrant.

Turnbull was asked by ZDNet's Asha McLean about the mathematical feasibility for the tech companies to break encryption when asked to.

Mclean: Won't the laws of mathematics trump the laws of Australia? And then aren't you also forcing people onto de-centralised systems as a result.

Turnbull: Well the laws of Australia prevail in Australia I can assure you of that. The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that applies in Australia is the law of Australia.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

prime minister Malcolm Turnbull said the laws of Australia take precedence over the laws of mathematics.

Please tell me this is a direct quote.

e. This is Abbott stupid.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zenithe posted:

hilarious and delusional if so

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Malcolm Turnbull is a Nazi :godwin: doesn't apply in Australia.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Zenithe posted:

The Cobbing is finally beginning.

Bill Shorten's tactic of "patiently waiting for the bar to lower" is sure starting to pay dividends.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zenithe posted:

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/885671050993737728

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bowmore posted:

hilarious and delusional if so

but very appealing to his mouth breathing voters.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Supermarket giant Woolworths has announced plans to phase out single-use plastic bags over the next 12 months.

The company is currently giving out 3.2 billion lightweight plastic bags per year.

The decision will affect stores in New South Wales, Victoria and Western Australia. South Australia and Tasmania have already implemented state-wide bans, and Queensland plans to do so next year.

Woolworths says more durable, re-usable plastic bags will be made available at a cost of 15 cents.

More to come.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Supermarket giant Woolworths has announced plans to phase out single-use plastic bags over the next 12 months.

The company is currently giving out 3.2 billion lightweight plastic bags per year.

The decision will affect stores in New South Wales, Victoria and Western Australia. South Australia and Tasmania have already implemented state-wide bans, and Queensland plans to do so next year.

Woolworths says more durable, re-usable plastic bags will be made available at a cost of 15 cents.

More to come.
How about we just gently caress off plastic bags altogether?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I used to be terrible about remembering to bring shopping bags but I love this one so much its always in my regular bag.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

It's always weird to go somewhere where they still give out bags at the supermarket. It was kind of annoying losing my supply of bin liners, but it didn't take long to adapt.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Synthbuttrange posted:

I used to be terrible about remembering to bring shopping bags but I love this one so much its always in my regular bag.

pretty sweet bag

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I use plastic bags for kitty litter

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Plastic bags was one of the weird things about moving to the big island. I remembered them but something about having then again felt strange.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

More to come.

Who was it who said "so it's not so much a plastic bag ban, as a "Plastic Bag Thickening Process"?

Was it Craig Rucassel in the War on Waste?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Hobo Erotica posted:

Who was it who said "so it's not so much a plastic bag ban, as a "Plastic Bag Thickening Process"?

Yes. Just increase the gsm of the bag so it no longer counts as a disposable one and you can now legally say you arent using plastic* bags

*below a set gsm rating.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Yeah, it was on war on waste. They replace standard bags with a thicker one they charge for. People can reuse them but they'll take even longer to break down.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Nibbles! posted:

Yeah, it was on war on waste. They replace standard bags with a thicker one they charge for. People can reuse them but they'll take even longer to break down.

also the bags don't biodegrade either, they photodegrade: just break down into smaller and smaller pieces but don't chemically change, they still remain plastic and get caught up in the food chain etc.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Just set a maximum biodegradation period for each bag of say a few weeks or months at the most. The rest sorts itself out.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Australian migration zone now removed from Euclidean space

and causality

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
We reuse them as bin liners. Even with the change it'll be months, possibly years, before we run out of our stashed bags.

Tasmantor
Aug 13, 2007
Horrid abomination
Why not just ban plastic bags period. They can charge more for, idk hemp? Bags instead. After a few extra $20 shipping trips people will learn.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Les Affaires posted:

Just set a maximum biodegradation period for each bag of say a few weeks or months at the most. The rest sorts itself out.

thats the thing though: they don't biodegrade. You set it so the degrade over 2 months, they break down, everyone is happy because we solved Plastic Waste etc.

But its still plastic, its still in the environment, its just in tiny pieces that you can't see.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Where can you buy natural fiber shopping bags that wont fall apart? I've bought the green ones from safeway but they are poo poo quality and are polypropylene anyway.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
just bioengineer some plastic eating archaea

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Birdstrike posted:

just bioengineer some plastic eating archaea

this sounds like the plot hook for a reboot of Snowpiercer

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Hobo Erotica posted:

That's definitely how it felt in South Australia.

I'd rather them enforce some kind of biodegradability or charge people more money. Nobody gives a poo poo about 15 cents.

Edit - looks like I should have read the thread re biodegradability

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Scott Ludlum resigned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

thatbastardken posted:

Scott Ludlum resigned.

gently caress, really?

• Locked thread