Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I have a BFA in Theater. Am I hosed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I've worked as an Account Manager for a total of four years in two different software companies. I'm seeking employment elsewhere as opportunities are limited with my current employer, and it's a bad area. I'm also an 09 Graduate with a Political Science degree. I just fell into this field because it was the only job I was able to get. I am however legitimately good at what I do which is a mixture of Project Management, Software implementation and customer consulting. Any advice in regards to going back to school? What can I best leverage this experience into in terms of my career?

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I have a BFA in Theater. Am I hosed?

I don't think so.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

JackDarko posted:

I've worked as an Account Manager for a total of four years in two different software companies. I'm seeking employment elsewhere as opportunities are limited with my current employer, and it's a bad area. I'm also an 09 Graduate with a Political Science degree. I just fell into this field because it was the only job I was able to get. I am however legitimately good at what I do which is a mixture of Project Management, Software implementation and customer consulting. Any advice in regards to going back to school? What can I best leverage this experience into in terms of my career?

Sales engineering is basically what you do but with a huge rear end commission

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

JackDarko posted:

Hi, English major here. People like you and me are going to be project/account managers for the rest of our lives until automation renders us jobless in 15 years.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Appreciate the feedback, Sales Engineer definitely seems to match as description as does Project Management. I'll look up what I need to do to increase my marketability accordingly. Project Management was something I had my eye on but my current employer informed me that my talents would be wasted in the position as I've learned how their software works very quickly. Being short changed into dealing with the worst part of our code base is pretty much why I'm looking elsewhere.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

About to graduate with a Bachelor's in Supply Chain Management (with other stuff sprinkled in), spring '18.

Now I just need to figure out how to dodge the enormous automation bullet and I'll be set boys. It's all gonna work out no ragrets.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

just remember that 80% of your big company's supply chain will be little shops that you can not believe are still in business and that only want to do business by phone and only if they can bend you over on price/terms and conditions (or they just accept all your terms without really following them)

Welcome to corporate supply chain

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
Hey all, I'm in need of some advice of what to do next.

I just finished my BA in Econ from UC Davis. After spending the better half of the year trying to land some entry level job, I decided it would be better to continue my education with a Masters degree. I will be using my military benefits (GI Bill) to earn a Masters degree from a university in San Francisco, to take advantage of my military benefits.

Right now, I'm deciding between earning a Masters in Accountancy, then earning my CPA. Or earn a Masters in Data Analytics. Which route would have better job prospects, future proof, and allow freelancing if I so choose. I do prefer Accounting over Data stuff, as I dislike programming.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any advice.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

mad_Thick posted:

as I dislike programming

Then your choice is made for you. A data analyst who can't/won't program isn't worth anything, especially long term.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm surprised that with a degree in a reasonably quantitative generic field and military service on your resume that you haven't been able to find an entry level job.

I would think about that one first before I kicked off a Master's.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah I don't know poo poo but all the advice I've gotten about Masters degrees is that for the most part you want to make sure you have actual experience in that particular field so that you get the most out of the coursework and potential networking.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Yeah going for your masters because you have nothing else going isn't always the best decision. Maybe get that first job in your field before committing to more debt? My wife got her MS in accountancy and it proved valuable but she was already working in the field. Accounting folks seem to be in pretty high demand these days, but you might have to be prepared to move. Just general thoughts.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Guinness posted:

Then your choice is made for you. A data analyst who can't/won't program isn't worth anything, especially long term.

+1

You'd be hamstrung or outright ineffective.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Yeah going for your masters because you have nothing else going isn't always the best decision. Maybe get that first job in your field before committing to more debt? My wife got her MS in accountancy and it proved valuable but she was already working in the field. Accounting folks seem to be in pretty high demand these days, but you might have to be prepared to move. Just general thoughts.

Here's the thing. I have zero debt from my undergraduate degree, and my masters will be paid via military benefits. As well, I will be paid close to 100k tax free during the two years of study. I'll be staying with my dad, so no rent. So I'll have a Master's with zero debt.

Believe it or not, being a Veteran means gently caress all to the majority of hiring managers. As we know, it is all about networking and who you know. And​ I hate networking, which is something I'm working on. I have yet to land an interview for something pertaining to what I studied. In the Bay Area, they don't care about military service.

I appreciate the info mates. I'll stick with the Accounting path for now, if I don't land anything decent.

mad_Thick fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 19, 2017

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If you can't find a job for 1.5 years in the bay area is there is something wrong with you. I don't say this to be mean or anything, it's just a simple statement of fact, start working with career counselors or therapists or anyone you don't actually know already and figure it out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

How are you gonna like to network more once you have your masters?

There's an accounting thread in here, not sure if you've solicited feedback there yet but they will definitely have some kind of a (no doubt weird, hosed up) perspective.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

How are you gonna like to network more once you have your masters?

There's an accounting thread in here, not sure if you've solicited feedback there yet but they will definitely have some kind of a (no doubt weird, hosed up) perspective.

I don't mean that by having a Masters, I would network more. The point of the Masters in Accounting is I could pursue my CPA, and get paid 100k tax free doing so. I was just interested in whether a Masters in Data Science would be better. But since I hate programming, I'll go the Masters in Accountancy route. Also, I'm sure there would be more people my age in a Masters program, as oppose to being 29 years old completing an undergraduate degree. By far the worst part of my undergrad experience was dealing with 18 to 22 year old children who half-rear end everything.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

About to graduate with a Bachelor's in Supply Chain Management (with other stuff sprinkled in), spring '18.

Now I just need to figure out how to dodge the enormous automation bullet and I'll be set boys. It's all gonna work out no ragrets.

Dodge? You should be the one firing that bullet.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

The issue is that you will be overqualified for all entry level positions, or under qualified for all mid level positions primarily due to having a CPA and Masters and no job experience. So you either start your own firm or network your rear end off to get paid what you deserve. Full disclosure this is coming from someone who doesn't really know what to do with his career and was also considering a Masters. Definitely take my advice with a grain of salt but I really don't think it's a great idea unless you're able to work in some internships or part time work. I'd say if you don't like networking and won't have debt that may be the perfect solution plan on starting your own practice.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
A private practice, at least at first, is probably going to be more networking than actually doing the work...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mad_Thick posted:

I don't mean that by having a Masters, I would network more. The point of the Masters in Accounting is I could pursue my CPA, and get paid 100k tax free doing so. I was just interested in whether a Masters in Data Science would be better. But since I hate programming, I'll go the Masters in Accountancy route. Also, I'm sure there would be more people my age in a Masters program, as oppose to being 29 years old completing an undergraduate degree. By far the worst part of my undergrad experience was dealing with 18 to 22 year old children who half-rear end everything.

did you check out the entire thread about careers in accounting or nah

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

mad_Thick posted:

What the hell GI Bill are you using that its paying for undergrad + masters + 100k/year?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Hey Thread,

Looking for some insight into possible career paths after this upcoming decision I'm making. First, some quick background:

I'm in IT and have been working in the healthcare vertical for over 6 years now in a senior position. For 5 of those years I specialized in leading clinical systems implementations -- EMRs and otherwise. I was leading/involved with all of the stages of the project from planning, requirements gathering, application administration/build, training, onsite support, and ongoing support/optimization. I was also able to lead some small teams for each project to get my feet wet with management. It was a really great way to dive into healthcare IT. Then last year I took a role on our analytics team as a senior analytics developer. It was a great chance to round out my technical skills in the same IT space.

So, I have a great opportunity coming up in the next few months to skip over the manager level and go straight to Director of IS. I didn't think I'd get to the director level for another 6-15 years so it makes it all the more appealing. It's at a smaller health system with some ex-colleagues I really like who run the show so I'm pretty excited about having good support to make this jump. It would involve a lot of what I had been doing for the first 5 years of my foray into healthcare IT. The only thing I'm not totally sold on is the location. It would involve moving my family to south Florida. We would actually be close to family, which we aren't now, but I just don't know if south Florida seems like a good place to raise a family. We always enjoy visiting the area, but living there is a bit different. The cost of living is also astronomically higher than my current location. Ugh.

Here's my question: Let's say my spouse and I decide after 2-3 years we really can't see raising our kid in the area and want to move elsewhere. Am I going to have a hard time staying at that level? I haven't been looking much, but it seems like IT Director positions, especially in healthcare, aren't a dime a dozen. And if I can't find another director level position somewhere, is having that on my resume going to work against me as being over qualified if I need to take a step down to manager or some sort of senior position? As a side note, I"m not really interested in consulting at this time even though the money can be really good.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

How bad is it for your resume to take time off and learn to code or something if you have no debt and your wife makes enough money that you can survive for a while on one income?

I have seen very mixed opinions on this around the internet. Has anybody successfully pulled this off?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
It's probably good to have something to show during those "gaps", so I think learning job stuff would help (not to list but to have ready as an explanation). You could always do some volunteer work too to show you stayed busy/productive, I guess. I've had tons of trouble finding work in the past but AFAIK the catch was never downtime after one job ended and the next began. Most places seem more concerned that you're worth a drat and not a shitheel.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Learn to code in what way?

The biggest problem is that there is a pretty big gap between the skills of completing online code schools and some personal projects vs full time software developer.

Things like boot camps can sort of bridge that gap. but there are a lot of low ROI offerings out there so you must do a lot of research and even a great bootcamp grad needs to have something else on their resume that recommends them. For example: a bootcamp grad that formerly worked in marketing analytics.

I think there is a perception out there that becoming a professional software developer is more accessible than it really is and it's harmful when people run into these barriers they were never warned about.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Mons Hubris posted:

How bad is it for your resume to take time off and learn to code or something if you have no debt and your wife makes enough money that you can survive for a while on one income?

I have seen very mixed opinions on this around the internet. Has anybody successfully pulled this off?

Where are you located and do you *really* want to be a software engineer? Because if you don't you're gonna be miserable.

Everything they teach in those programs can be self taught, so the main benefit provided is the structured learning and - most importantly - the post course network.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

If it means that the end result is that you have some demonstrable programming skills then I wouldn't count it against you. That you had the motivation to self-motivate, self-direct, and self-educate would look favorable in my eyes, but you may find mixed opinions.

It will likely depend on the company and culture, but I think you could make it work if you have a "portfolio" of sorts to show off.

But yeah, becoming a real professional developer isn't really something you can casually pick up from zero in a couple of months in your own time. You'd likely be better off getting started now in your spare time, and if you get to the point where you think you are close then take a few months to really buckle down try to make the leap.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 29, 2017

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

You'd definitely a portfolio and they'd most likely look at your GIT account for your commits. What the above user suggests is the approach I've taken. Find open source projects when you're good enough and code for them, that will also look good for you.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Xguard86 posted:

Learn to code in what way?

The biggest problem is that there is a pretty big gap between the skills of completing online code schools and some personal projects vs full time software developer.

Things like boot camps can sort of bridge that gap. but there are a lot of low ROI offerings out there so you must do a lot of research and even a great bootcamp grad needs to have something else on their resume that recommends them. For example: a bootcamp grad that formerly worked in marketing analytics.

My thought was do the Python MIT course and the Udacity Data Analytics programs, followed by an Iron Yard bootcamp. I have been a government lawyer for the past 5 years but government is getting to be a real poo poo place to work, and I recently took a job that has turned out to be a pretty bad personality fit.

I live in Raleigh NC so the job market around here is still pretty good. I am just dying for a job where I can just be at my desk all day with only occasional human interaction and produce something with tangible results. The dream would be to get a job at SAS or a startup. I am fine with starting at the bottom, I don't need a dece six figgies or anything.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mons Hubris posted:

I am just dying for a job where I can just be at my desk all day with only occasional human interaction and produce something with tangible results.

IDK if software development will give you that. To be more blunt: a place that does not encourage dev interaction and teamwork is also likely to be a fairly soul-crushing work environment. This is especially true if you want to work at a startup, which is usually a very collaborative shoulder-to-shoulder affair.

It might be possible to make such an arrangement as a freelance contractor and/or working primarily over remote but you would need solid work experience to really make that feasible.

...I guess you could aim for a mediocre career deep in the bowels of a large or midsize company somewhere but as someone who started a career in such places and worked very hard to escape asap, It's difficult to imagine that truly being something to aim for. To boot, often those jobs are the 1st thing cut or outsourced anyway, so job security isn't actually that great

I'm just some dude on the internet muddling along myself but I think you should try the MIT course and anything you can trial for free. If you find that you lose yourself in the work and develop a passion, then maybe development is for you. I have worked alongside and for several people who didn't follow a traditional route but are excellent devs, but if this is only an escape hatch from the law and gov work then I don't know that you will make it in the industry or be very happy if you do secure a job.

I'm not familiar with SAS. Do you mean SAP?

Edit: oh SAS, right https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAS_Institute Sorry drinking @ the airport after a long week and "Sass" to SAS didn't connect in my brain

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 30, 2017

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I'm an informal science educator in a museum looking to go from talking about science to actually DOING science, but trying to change careers has me incredibly overwhelmed with anxiety. Taking a distance learning Bachelors in Biology, I already have an archaeology/palaeoecology BSc and voluntary work that I have lab experience with, and probably the thing I have that would maybe set me apart is a pretty varied career history and I'm good with my colleagues.
Any advice for someone striding out into the scary world of biological sciences? Any skills I should work on getting/emphasise?

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Cross-posted from SAL because I could really use advice on this:

I've just finished Applied Math undergrad and wasn't considering grad school, but an offer fell into my lap and I'm considering it but unsure how it would impact my career goals. The offer is for a 2-year funded M.Sc. in Applied Math under a supervisor specializing in operations research and game theory, and I would get a chance to do a thesis on something directly relevant to my career interests and pick up some technical skills I didn't get from my undergrad. My dream would be to work for a startup in operations. I currently am about to finish a RA contract, have no permanent job locked down, 3+ years experience starting and managing a retail business, and no other relevant experience.

My concerns:
  • With my current funding, if I took this degree I would likely incur an additional $15K of student debt over two years. (Currently have $20K debt and $13K savings)
  • As part of my degree, I MAY have an opportunity to work with a major corporation on a project that is perfectly related to my interests. It would be incredibly valuable experience and likely lead to a job at that company, but it's not 100% locked down. If I don't do that, I would not have an opportunity to do internships during my degree.
  • I don't know if this will be more valuable to my career than two years in the workforce, and I'm concerned about waiting until then (at age 27) to start my first professional job.
  • On the other hand, I have only gotten a few interviews, and I feel under-qualified for the places I'd like to work for the most.
Thoughts?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Take the master's and never look back. $35k total debt is fine for the sort of salary you're looking at after you finish, and in the field you're looking at, a master's has historically been the entry level degree. That's changing a bit, but not all that quickly.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
No

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 23, 2019

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I live in an expensive city with a pretty good job. Compensation is below average in a vacuum and when considering the city it's very low. This position is somewhat related to my field.

There is an organization in my city much more related to my field, in addition, it includes an avenue to develop programming skills on the job (which I want to do). I know a person who just left the organization and another person who still works there. I was going to apply for the position that the friend that is now vacant because he left.

Unfortunately, I found out today that the position;
1. might not be created again due to internal restructuring and
2. if it is created, it will likely be available 3-6 months from now

The organization did, however post an entry-level position that is below my initially desired position. It is in the same department, and could be a decent foot in the door. I am wildly overqualified. However it offers compensation that is a 10% pay cut. Not to mention that my current firm pays for my phone and subsidizes my auto insurance (and I get to work from home, so no bus pass). If I was making decent money around $66k, I'd take the 10% pay cut no thinking. But I'm making way less than that. I went into my chosen field because I wanted to make a difference, not make money. And I accept that, but such a paycut would leave me with only 3 digits in the black per month.

The organization listed the max salary and there is no negotiating above it because it is a public organization. If I applied and got an offer, I don't know if I could afford to take it.

My silly plan; I should apply and hopefully get an interview. If I get an offer, I would act like I didn't know there was no room for salary negotiation. Ponder it over, and then reject the offer but thank them greatly for their time and discuss how much I love the organization and hope that we can patch up together down the road. This way my name at least pops up and my face gets recognized.

This is a terrible plan right?
Pretty much. If they read what you wrote here, you'd probably be blacklisted for yanking them around. Of course, if they read what you wrote here, they'd also know your user name is JIZZ DENOUEMENT which might also raise questions. Why not just tell them the truth: You're more interested in the other position and they should reach out to you when they're looking to fill that position. You applied for the current opening because you were interested in learning more about the current position. But the numbers just didn't add up.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Saeku posted:

I've just finished Applied Math undergrad and wasn't considering grad school, but an offer fell into my lap and I'm considering it but unsure how it would impact my career goals. The offer is for a 2-year funded M.Sc. in Applied Math under a supervisor specializing in operations research and game theory, and I would get a chance to do a thesis on something directly relevant to my career interests and pick up some technical skills I didn't get from my undergrad. My dream would be to work for a startup in operations. I currently am about to finish a RA contract, have no permanent job locked down, 3+ years experience starting and managing a retail business, and no other relevant experience.

My concerns:
  • With my current funding, if I took this degree I would likely incur an additional $15K of student debt over two years. (Currently have $20K debt and $13K savings)
  • As part of my degree, I MAY have an opportunity to work with a major corporation on a project that is perfectly related to my interests. It would be incredibly valuable experience and likely lead to a job at that company, but it's not 100% locked down. If I don't do that, I would not have an opportunity to do internships during my degree.
  • I don't know if this will be more valuable to my career than two years in the workforce, and I'm concerned about waiting until then (at age 27) to start my first professional job.
  • On the other hand, I have only gotten a few interviews, and I feel under-qualified for the places I'd like to work for the most.
Thoughts?
Get the MSc. Do everything in your power to make the co-op with the major corporation happen. That would be the most valuable part of the whole scenario.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Dik Hz posted:

Pretty much. If they read what you wrote here, you'd probably be blacklisted for yanking them around. Of course, if they read what you wrote here, they'd also know your user name is JIZZ DENOUEMENT which might also raise questions. Why not just tell them the truth: You're more interested in the other position and they should reach out to you when they're looking to fill that position. You applied for the current opening because you were interested in learning more about the current position. But the numbers just didn't add up.

This would still be yanking them around. I'd still be communicating that I applied to a job I had no intention of accepting.

"Hi I applied for this position, then used your HR and management time to arrange and conduct an interview so I could learn more about your firm so I can apply to a position that the public doesn't even know exists yet, that will maybe exist in the future."

e: I answered my own question, I won't waste their time. I will wait for the position I want to become available.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Saeku posted:

My concerns:
Thoughts?

Have you thought about being an Actuary? Applied math is an ideal degree and you only need a bachelor's for entry level. You'll have to pass at least 1 of the exams, but the first two (P and FM) shouldn't be hard for someone with your education. I've been an Actuary for 5 years now and it's incredible.