Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Base model 2017 retina for $1100

https://slickdeals.net/f/10354860-apple-macbook-pro-13-3-mid-2017-latest-model-128gb-ssd-8gb-ram-1099-best-buy-w-student

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Haven't been paying attention for a while now. My local Mac shop is saying stay away from 2010 and 2011 MBPs. They will all 100% fail. Only take one if it's free.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shaocaholica posted:

Haven't been paying attention for a while now. My local Mac shop is saying stay away from 2010 and 2011 MBPs. They will all 100% fail. Only take one if it's free.

Only the 15" models. The 13" models will still be running after we're all dead. It wasn't a big deal before if the 2011's GPU failed because you could get them fixed for free but anymore.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah the prices go up and down all the time, the 1350 was on sale for the price of that 850 during prime Day but I'd rather keep costs to less than 100 ideally. Safe shutdown is my priority rather than elongated battery use, so sounds good!
I'm not sure I've ever bought a UPS off Amazon, if you have any local electronics stores keep an eye out for deals there too. I think I've just bought mine from Frys or Microcenter when they have deals (well their deals might be online too), I think other places like Best Buy or office stores occasionally have stuff too.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

Only the 15" models. The 13" models will still be running after we're all dead. It wasn't a big deal before if the 2011's GPU failed because you could get them fixed for free but anymore.

I heard the fix was a new logic board with the same design flaw so the replacement part will fail the same way in about the same amount of time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I heard the fix was a new logic board with the same design flaw so the replacement part will fail the same way in about the same amount of time.

It will - but at least you could get it fixed for free before

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

It will - but at least you could get it fixed for free before

So basically, don't ever buy a 15" 2010/2011 going forward.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

EL BROMANCE posted:

FileVault is the one that triggers a password request right at the very beginning on reboot, yeah? I've got that set on my laptop but not the mini. I probably should get around to sorting it, it's a fairly new build still. It'd be nice to have background services up and running after reboot mind, but for data protection it's useful.

Yes, it uses full disk encryption so your drive/data (aside from the recovery partition) is inaccessible without the password. That also means if you forget your password or the recovery key, there's no recovering your data (you can store a recovery key in iCloud but that just seems like a terrible idea).

I often wonder what I'd do if I were on vacation and unable to remote into my main machine because an outage caused it to shut down. Send a friend over to my house with the password, I guess. Luckily I haven't run into that yet.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Choadmaster posted:

I often wonder what I'd do if I were on vacation and unable to remote into my main machine because an outage caused it to shut down. Send a friend over to my house with the password, I guess. Luckily I haven't run into that yet.

Probably should just enjoy your vacation

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

Same with 27" 2010/2011 iMacs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Mid 2014 rMBP 13"
8GB
256GB
Clean, no dents

Co-worker is asking $700 OBO. Should I take it or go lower?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
The ram is kind of low and in a year or two that little amount of ram is going to be easy to feel. I'd pass on it and get something with more ram.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Probably should just enjoy your vacation

Upside of freelancing: I can take off for 2-3 weeks at a time, multiple times a year. Downside of freelancing: sometimes poo poo suddenly needs to get done *now* and I can't foist it off on some other sucker. It's rare, thankfully.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Beg to differ; I've got a Late 2013 rMBP with the same stats (8/256) and it's been a trooper for me; Safari, light PhotoShop, Office 2011/2016, can't really think of a time I ever hit a wall with the RAM.

My iTunes and photo stuff are on a four drive (older) Drobo I rescued from a recording studio going out of business, I wouldn't keep huge collections of anything portable with me all the time, but that's how I roll..

Cream
May 6, 2007
Fett-kart

Shaocaholica posted:

There is a permanent fix for the 2010 15". Requires soldering a new capacitor on the logic board. I did it myself. Runs like a charm.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gpu-kernel-panic-in-mid-2010-whats-the-best-fix.1890097/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
People are stupid when it comes to how much ram they think they need. Ram requirements for typical home user stuff has been stagnant for years, as have operating system ram requirements - in windows world you actually need less ram to get an optimal OS experience now than you did back when vista was around. From everything I've read MacOS is more ram efficient than windows is.

Even people building high end gaming PCs (the ones who know what they're talking about at least) have struggled to justify more than 8gb up until very recently (and it's still rare to find a game that can make meaningful use of more than that).

Web browsing, email, dealing with your photos (not commercial grade photo editing) watching Netflix, working with office documents... none of those things require more than 8gb of Ram now, nor will they magically start using a heap of extra ram in the next few years. That accounts for the majority of use cases, especially for people using a laptop. If this is you, by all means just buy a MacBook Pro with 8gb of ram.

People need 16gb or more of Ram when they start doing serious video editing, working with virtual machines, or using other specific, Ram intensive applications.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Choadmaster posted:

Yes, it uses full disk encryption so your drive/data (aside from the recovery partition) is inaccessible without the password. That also means if you forget your password or the recovery key, there's no recovering your data (you can store a recovery key in iCloud but that just seems like a terrible idea).

So storing a recovery key for a machine somebody would need physical access to use in the cloud is a bad idea, but telling somebody your password is ok?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

The Lord Bude posted:

People are stupid when it comes to how much ram they think they need. Ram requirements for typical home user stuff has been stagnant for years, as have operating system ram requirements - in windows world you actually need less ram to get an optimal OS experience now than you did back when vista was around. From everything I've read MacOS is more ram efficient than windows is.

Even people building high end gaming PCs (the ones who know what they're talking about at least) have struggled to justify more than 8gb up until very recently (and it's still rare to find a game that can make meaningful use of more than that).

Web browsing, email, dealing with your photos (not commercial grade photo editing) watching Netflix, working with office documents... none of those things require more than 8gb of Ram now, nor will they magically start using a heap of extra ram in the next few years. That accounts for the majority of use cases, especially for people using a laptop. If this is you, by all means just buy a MacBook Pro with 8gb of ram.

People need 16gb or more of Ram when they start doing serious video editing, working with virtual machines, or using other specific, Ram intensive applications.

Kind of a catch 22 with gamers. Developers aren't going to use that much memory if they know a critical percentage of their install base doesn't have it. That's what consoles are for. Developers won't give a poo poo about PC install base when developing for a console with fixed hardware. When consoles get 16GB+, PCs will bump up accordingly.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just had a weird glitch where my 2011 Macbook Pro suddenly switched off and wouldn't turn on again.

When I got home I plugged it into my other charger and it charged up and worked fine. So I think it was the dodgy DIY-fixed charger I use at work, which tricked the battery into thinking it was charged when it wasn't.

After much freaking out that the logic board had died, I'm glad that's all it was. :sweatdrop:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Fanatic posted:

Just had a weird glitch where my 2011 Macbook Pro suddenly switched off and wouldn't turn on again.

When I got home I plugged it into my other charger and it charged up and worked fine. So I think it was the dodgy DIY-fixed charger I use at work, which tricked the battery into thinking it was charged when it wasn't.

After much freaking out that the logic board had died, I'm glad that's all it was. :sweatdrop:

Pretty sure a charger can't trick a battery into thinking its charged. The management hardware/firmware isn't that poorly designed.

My 2009 MBP still has trouble starting up on a low battery even while plugged in :speculate:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
People are looking at Activity Monitor, seeing that all their RAM is "in use", and using that as evidence that they don't have enough RAM.

Somebody please try to produce data on actual performance with mocked up workflows and different amounts of RAM.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

fleshweasel posted:

People are looking at Activity Monitor, seeing that all their RAM is "in use", and using that as evidence that they don't have enough RAM.

Somebody please try to produce data on actual performance with mocked up workflows and different amounts of RAM.

Again, catch-22. There's no reason to stick with some static amount of ram when the manufacturing side is constantly shrinking part size and cost.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Theophany posted:

So storing a recovery key for a machine somebody would need physical access to use in the cloud is a bad idea, but telling somebody your password is ok?

Yes, I'll trust a good friend for a week or two more than having an online login that can decrypt my computer.

One is vetted and carefully selected, only given the the information *if* absolutely necessary, and only given access for a short period of time.

The other is online, unknown, contains the information permanently, is potentially accessible to anyone who shoulder surfs during any of the million goddamn times a day iOS asks for my Apple ID, and most importantly is totally pointless if you're capable of remembering your own goddamn password (and if you're not, how do you expect to remember the Apple ID password instead? Better to write down the recovery key and store it in safe somewhere if you don't trust your own memory).

Edit: to be clear, these two things are totally orthogonal. One is a solution to "how to I decrypt my computer from afar" and the other is a solution to "how do I not get screwed if I forget my password". There exist better solutions for the latter than "store it in the cloud."

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 14, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Choadmaster posted:

Yes, I'll trust a good friend for a week or two more than having an online login that can decrypt my computer.

One is vetted and carefully selected, only given the the information *if* absolutely necessary, and only given access for a short period of time.

The other is online, unknown, contains the information permanently, is potentially accessible to anyone who shoulder surfs during any of the million goddamn times a day iOS asks for my Apple ID, and most importantly is totally pointless if you're capable of remembering your own goddamn password (and if you're not, how do you expect to remember the Apple ID password instead? Better to write down the recovery key and store it in safe somewhere if you don't trust your own memory).

Edit: to be clear, these two things are totally orthogonal. One is a solution to "how to I decrypt my computer from afar" and the other is a solution to "how do I not get screwed if I forget my password". There exist better solutions for the latter than "store it in the cloud."

Yeah, my point was that both your solutions are sub-optimal. Do you really have that much mission critical data that you can't load it on your laptop, rendering remote access obsolete? I am self-employed and when I go on holiday I have everything I need locally accessible because I don't want to be remoting in to my home office machine over a connection that could be vulnerable. I'm legit curious and not being an argumentative poo poo by the way. I would only remote into my home office if there was literally no other option for fear of a compromised connection, paranoid as that sounds.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Theophany posted:

Do you really have that much mission critical data that you can't load it on your laptop, rendering remote access obsolete? I am self-employed and when I go on holiday I have everything I need locally accessible...

I have a lot of clients and a shitload of data - 12 TB or so at this point*. There's no telling when a client will appear out of the woodwork after 3 or 4 years and say, "hey, X is broken and needs fixing right away" or "we suddenly had to fire Jennifer and we need Y content redesigned and reprinted immediately," so unfortunately I can't just bet on having "active" or recent stuff on hand. But like I said earlier, it's never actually been a problem; I trust the encryption on my VPN and my power and internet have been quite reliable.

* Now that my cheese grater Mac Pro has died and I'm stuck in this new Thunderbolt world I'm still waiting on a good 4-bay TB3 drive enclosure. Hurry the gently caress up, tech industry.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Choadmaster posted:

I have a lot of clients and a shitload of data - 12 TB or so at this point*. There's no telling when a client will appear out of the woodwork after 3 or 4 years and say, "hey, X is broken and needs fixing right away" or "we suddenly had to fire Jennifer and we need Y content redesigned and reprinted immediately," so unfortunately I can't just bet on having "active" or recent stuff on hand. But like I said earlier, it's never actually been a problem; I trust the encryption on my VPN and my power and internet have been quite reliable.

* Now that my cheese grater Mac Pro has died and I'm stuck in this new Thunderbolt world I'm still waiting on a good 4-bay TB3 drive enclosure. Hurry the gently caress up, tech industry.

Ah fair point - my 20+ years of data is literally just scanned client files and we're still just shy of a terabyte at this point so not too disk consuming all things considered.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I don't think I'm remembering wrong but didn't the rMBP get a keyboard update mid generation to a lower profile keyboard with less key travel?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

I don't think I'm remembering wrong but didn't the rMBP get a keyboard update mid generation to a lower profile keyboard with less key travel?
I don't think so. I don't think the keyboard got changed until the Touch Bar version.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

The regular MB got updated this year

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I got a mbp for work and I've never used a Mac before. Should I do anything in particular to keep it clean? I don't want to damage the aluminum and the screen

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

The touch bar update last year gave it the lower profile style, which itself was an updated version of the MacBook's one...which got updated this year to the updated keyboard in the touch bar MBPs.

...and I vaguely recall some people saying the updated MBPs this year feel like they have a tweaked keyboard, but hell if I know if that's actually true. If so it wasn't enough of a change for Apple to mention it at all.

VostokProgram posted:

I got a mbp for work and I've never used a Mac before. Should I do anything in particular to keep it clean? I don't want to damage the aluminum and the screen
Only use it when your hands are clean and don't spill stuff on it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

I just use a water damp microfiber cloth for both and blow out the screen hinge with compressed air.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I don't think so. I don't think the keyboard got changed until the Touch Bar version.

Dang my brain is broke. I swear seeing a keynote where they nerded out over laptop keyboard mech like back in 2014 or 2015 which was the 3rd gun rMBP but wikipedia isn't showing any mid gen keyboard revisions.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Shaocaholica posted:

Pretty sure a charger can't trick a battery into thinking its charged. The management hardware/firmware isn't that poorly designed.

My 2009 MBP still has trouble starting up on a low battery even while plugged in :speculate:

It was strange though, it was supposedly at 90%+ battery but it just switched off instantly because the battery was in fact drained. I think I just gotta bite the bullet and finally buy a new charger :(

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Base RMBP (okay upgraded to 16 gig) is perfectly usable as a second coffee shop travel computer right? I'm a publisher, so I need to do some light photo shop work from time to time, but otherwise it's just a writing machine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That's extremely overboard if anything

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

japtor posted:

Only use it when your hands are clean and don't spill stuff on it?

Believe me I'm being very careful with how I handle this $3000 computer that doesn't belong to me! But stuff collects dust and grime through normal use and I've never had a laptop this expensive so I don't know what to do with it

tuyop posted:

I just use a water damp microfiber cloth for both and blow out the screen hinge with compressed air.

I'll try this, thanks

Bob Sanders
Jun 21, 2009
[quote="“Shaocaholica”" post="“474381596”"]
Dang my brain is broke. I swear seeing a keynote where they nerded out over laptop keyboard mech like back in 2014 or 2015 which was the 3rd gun rMBP but wikipedia isn’t showing any mid gen keyboard revisions.
[/quote]

I remember them nerding out over the keyboard, but I’m pretty it was the announcement of the 12” MacBook in March of 2015. That was the first device they shipped with the new style of keyboard switches.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Oh the non pro MacBook is back? I've been in a cave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh the non pro MacBook is back? I've been in a cave.

The adorable little one.