Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I saw a test pressing of Busta Rhymes ‎– Party Is Goin' On Over Here in a store and had to get it just so I could have one, those are rare-ish right?

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Here's all the upcoming Prime Day vinyl deals:

State Champs - The Finer Things $13.14 now
Deep Purple - Made In Europe limited edition 10:00am
Third Eye Blind - Dopamine 10:05am
Nothing - Tired Of Tomorrow 10:27am
Flume - S/T 11:12am
The Best Of Clarance Carter limited edition 12:02am
Lord Huron - Strange Trails 1:52pm
Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Mirror Man limited edition 1:52pm
Santana - Marathon anniversary edition limited 3:57pm
Lynyrd Skynard - Gimme Back My BUllets limited edition 4:02pm
Alina Baraz & Galimatias - Urban Flora 5:02pm
Run The Jewels - Vol. 2 deluxe edition 7:22pm

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Prime Day is such poo poo.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Ballz posted:

Yeah but Captain Beefheart, man.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
That Nothing album is alright. If it's like 10bux might be a good grab.

Mad Emu Sex0r
Sep 30, 2004

Comeon guys. Im cool now, right?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

What's the rarest or most seemingly impossible to find thing in the wild that you've actually found in the wild?

I think mine's Hawkwind's debut album, which I got at a Goodwill.

Mine was Eric Dolphy's At the Five Spot with about 200 other Jazz, Blues, Pop, and others from the 50s/60s. Picked them all up at a 2nd hand place at about 50 cents a piece.

Mad Emu Sex0r fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 11, 2017

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Ballz posted:

I finally picked up Slippery When Wet for 10% off. :shrug:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mad Emu Sex0r posted:

Mine was Eric Dolphy's At the Five Spot with about 200 other Jazz, Blues, Pop, and others from the 50s/60s. Picked them all up at a 2nd hand place at about 50 cents a piece.

That's pretty cool. I like that album a lot.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

screaden posted:

Rarest for me was some TISM albums, the Collected Recordings was from Collectors Corner in Melbourne for 40 bucks about ten years ago, the records weren't technically from a shop, but from a dude who would buy up random lots from estates and old radio stations and stuff to resell from his garage, got them also for about 40 bucks for both. Discogs has median price for Truckin Songs at $84.62, no sales history for the others. Fun fact, one of the pressings for Truckin Songs had all 4 sides (purposely) sealed so you had to use a box cutter to open it up.

That's fuckin' cool. My one claim to 15 minutes of fame was creating the TISM Eurovision petition, which was both the dumbest and best thing I've worked on.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Yayyy

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I binge watched The Defiant Ones yesterday and would definitely recommend it for anyone, not just fans of rap and hip-hop. The record store I usually check out once every couple weeks happened to have a brand new sealed copy of The Chronic digitally remastered and I had to grab it. Its hard for me to believe that this album came out in 1992. From The Defiant Ones I found out that one of Dre's biggest early influences was Kraftwerk and so I also grabbed a copy of Electric Cafe that I found. Pretty stoked with the haul even though it was only 2 records!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

I, Butthole posted:

That's fuckin' cool. My one claim to 15 minutes of fame was creating the TISM Eurovision petition, which was both the dumbest and best thing I've worked on.

That was you? You legend!

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

I, Butthole posted:

I was pretty excited to see them in the bundle, when he told me the price I really had to play it cool because those prices are an absolute steal for them.

That petition got a surprising amount of traction, it was all over my facebook for a couple of weeks. Damian Cowell even responded to it on his facebook page.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

can someone recommend me a decent, sub $100 phono pre-amp?
Nobody else had a suggestion, so I put this forth

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BBGCCI/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pick up an AC adapter too if you're planning to not use the USB feature, as it doesn't come with one.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

pwn posted:

Pick up an AC adapter too if you're planning to not use the USB feature, as it doesn't come with one.

oh yeah thanks dude I ended up gertting a DJ Pre2

anyhow i just saw that the newest bowie box set was announced a preordered it. its not a video game or movie soundtrack so I suppose no one cares just saying

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I am really into the idea of these Bowie boxes, but I can't afford them. I would goddamn luxuriate in every single record from needle drop to pickup. I just am not in the appropriate tax bracket for box sets.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Allen Wren posted:

I am really into the idea of these Bowie boxes, but I can't afford them. I would goddamn luxuriate in every single record from needle drop to pickup. I just am not in the appropriate tax bracket for box sets.

I really wish they would just release the rarities discs by themselves because I already have all the albums that are in them, but I guess if they did that then hyperfans wouldn't shell out 300 bucks for a bunch of poo poo they already have.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

They'd actually do a collection nicely for me, because sadly I only own one Bowie record on vinyl. I mean, Station to Station slays, but I want the other records, too.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder if that's the only way to get the remixed lodger

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
this one is good and cool though because good luck finding good copies of Low, Heroes, Lodger, and Scary Monsters without having to get bootlegs or spend a lot for a used record unseen through amazon or whatever.

edit: of course they'll break those out, eventually

CHICKEN SHOES fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 14, 2017

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

this one is good and cool though because good luck finding good copies of Low, Heroes, Lodger, and Scary Monsters without having to get bootlegs or spend a lot for a used record unseen through amazon or whatever.

Is this just since he died because I feel like none of those were ever really that expensive or hard to get. A few months back I got a pristine Japanese first pressing of Lodger for 30 bucks in a record store. But anyway, all of the box set albums from Five Years are available separately with the exception of the aforementioned rarities disc so I'm figuring the new box set will follow suit.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

pwn posted:

Hey I suggested the BBE Pre-amp like a page ago since I have had no issues with mine :colbert:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

CPL593H posted:

Is this just since he died because I feel like none of those were ever really that expensive or hard to get. A few months back I got a pristine Japanese first pressing of Lodger for 30 bucks in a record store. But anyway, all of the box set albums from Five Years are available separately with the exception of the aforementioned rarities disc so I'm figuring the new box set will follow suit.

they were high as gently caress when he died I remember. It's probably calmed down, I'm guessing, but with the sets coming out I just wait for those and stopped looking for any of the main albums

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

they were high as gently caress when he died I remember. It's probably calmed down, I'm guessing, but with the sets coming out I just wait for those and stopped looking for any of the main albums

Yeah I mean if your choices are paying some scummy weirdo in a flea market upwards of 30 bucks for an old copy that might have imperfections and 20-25 for a brand new one out of the plastic it makes plenty of sense to buy the reissues because I'm told they are really good.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I'd probably buy anything different if I found it anyway :( I have like 3-4 versions of The Man Who Sold the world :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

I'd probably buy anything different if I found it anyway :( I have like 3-4 versions of The Man Who Sold the world :(

There are much worse things you could be spending money on.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My friends' shop made it into a Vice article!

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nevzpx/how-to-spend-a-night-in-austin

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Yeah I mean if your choices are paying some scummy weirdo in a flea market upwards of 30 bucks for an old copy that might have imperfections and 20-25 for a brand new one out of the plastic it makes plenty of sense to buy the reissues because I'm told they are really good.

They are really really good. I can verify that statement. i have a copy of station to station from the remaster set and it sounds amazing. They even did the same thing those Zeppelin reissues/remasters did was remake the original packaging.

I really appreciate these reissues keeping it true to the original release.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Can second that, the remastered Hunky Dory sounda amazing. I lucked out and collected the whole berlin trilogy a week before he died.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Good haul today. The Springsteen set is all in pristine condition. Mostly was excited to find the Clikatat Ikatoi in a shop.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Today I got Dare to Be Stupid and The Residents Commercial Album at a flea market, so I consider that a worthwhile trip.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I noticed at most record stores, an LP by an older band is often $29.99 and an LP by a new band is $19.99, why is that?

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Price gouging the nostalgia market? :shrug:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Who has more money to spend, 20somethings or 30-40somethings?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

At shows I'm usually able to get an LP for $15 or so. I get most of my records at shows. My favorite is this 12 inch 45 that some local rock band put together.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

I noticed at most record stores, an LP by an older band is often $29.99 and an LP by a new band is $19.99, why is that?

You need to go to better record stores.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

or make friends with the record store clerks. if i pay in cash at this one spot, the dude will not charge tax and will round down if im under say $45, so I'd pay $40 in cash

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
There's a lot going on. Licensing fees, quality of production, potential sales versus standard costs, what they're willing to charge. People instantly think a record by David Bowie or the Beatles is worth a million bucks with deep gouges in it. So a new record for 30 is a steal!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I have a Hitachi HCA-8500 MKII control amp for sale in SAMart if anyone needs a phono pre-amp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I got a semi strange question: I have a couple older albums where the back of the outer jacket is printed upside down. Is there some sort of logic to this? Was it a thing back in the day?