Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Flesh Forge posted:

As of A17 Tynan decided it wasn't funny any more to have your colonists trip over the trap they just installed, apparently.

Are you saying we don't need diagonal trap layouts in hallways anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Friendly visitors seem to be total idiots about it, though. I have the medieval mod and use the wooden spike barrier generously, but even though I leave an opening in my barriers for caravans and visitors to come through, they'll move right to where the opening is and still randomly decide they want to walk through a bunch of pointy sticks instead of the open path literally four steps away from them. And then they get mad because some idiot keeps spilling blood all over their guest quarters.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

LLSix posted:

Are you saying we don't need diagonal trap layouts in hallways anymore?

I meant about this actually (I didn't explain it and/or understand it that well)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=785754949

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Pathfinding in this game in general is really weird. I tried setting up a road through the jungle once and my builders kept walking the whole way out to the end through the tall grass with a fully built road one tile away the whole time. It was as if travel time wasn't even part of the algorithm, or pawns were reserving their whole path and only one person would use the road at a time.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
I'm enjoying modding Rimworld a lot more than I thought I would. So far I've added the R91 and Chinese Assault Rifles from Fallout 3 to my game, as well as trying to balance a Fatman mini-nuke launcher. Everything is in the game and works, now to just try and add a toxic fallout effect to the Fatman and it will be complete.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Flesh Forge posted:

I meant about this actually (I didn't explain it and/or understand it that well)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=785754949

Oh, yeah. That is useful but you still need to leave open diagonals to walk through. I've lost colonists to standing on a trap while it was being reset before.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

LLSix posted:

Oh, yeah. That is useful but you still need to leave open diagonals to walk through. I've lost colonists to standing on a trap while it was being reset before.

"Hey Engie, what cha up to there? Looks like you're resetting something-" SNAP "aaaaaarrrrrrgghhhbbbrrrglllll" *dies*

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

This still very rarely happens when there's a lot of clutter loot splattered all over the trap field and a bunch of dudes are working to clear it at the same time, which you I dunno that ever happens very often in vanilla because it's buried somewhere within Hauling jobs. This mod is sooooo helpful compared to vanilla:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=954770763

Removes so much pointless micromanagement.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

Pathfinding in this game in general is really weird. I tried setting up a road through the jungle once and my builders kept walking the whole way out to the end through the tall grass with a fully built road one tile away the whole time. It was as if travel time wasn't even part of the algorithm, or pawns were reserving their whole path and only one person would use the road at a time.

I'm trying to figure this out myself. I have 'roads' set up between my fields to ease travel, but for some reason, even using the pathfinding mod, my pawns refused to take the longer, faster route around the healroot field and instead kept charging right through the field by the storehouse. Even after setting the field to hated and strong hatred in the mod.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Behold, the answer to all your pathfinding problems!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=835555932

Most of them, at least.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

I'm gonna start a save with just one pawn and as many cats as I can add later today

Cat Colony Madness inc

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

That sounds like it will be a CATastrophe.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Omnicarus posted:

That sounds like it will be a CATastrophe.

If she makes it long enough for the place to get a name, it will be this

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WoFyN1R-1g

Can't wait to hear about that except with raiders and fire.

EDIT: I've run into a thing and I'm not sure why. I have plenty of cut stone blocks, but my pawn won't use the sculptor's table saying there aren't any materials. Any ideas? I'm not running any mods at all and they were fine with sculpting until one day they decided the stone blocks in storage don't exist.

Figured it out, I only had 65 of each material and a small requires at least 70.

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 15, 2017

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Hey, so a trading caravan dropped by my base, as usual. After a few days, I got the notification that they were leaving, but apparently one of them was tired so they slept on the floor, and most of the caravan stuck around to wait for the stragglers, and then.. they all forgot to leave?? I figured it'd fix itself eventually, but now it's been a couple of days and they've ran out of food and are starving right along my hallway. If I was on my psycho rear end in a top hat playthrough I'd jump at the opportunity of matching human leather uniforms for all my colonists, but I'm trying to be a goody-two-shoes on this base. It's a big caravan with animals, so I don't know if rescuing them is even viable - is there any way to avoid the huge faction penalty I'd get if all these idiots die on my turf? Can I just dev-tool them away?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If you rescue them when they start dropping from starvation you get +15 faction per rescue. Just sayin'

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you guys have any strategies or tips for making more aesthetically pleasing settlements? I feel like I'm always making super utilitarian facilities with a lack of an artistic touch.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Don't be afraid to rearrange things. Your structures are not permanent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Do you guys have any strategies or tips for making more aesthetically pleasing settlements? I feel like I'm always making super utilitarian facilities with a lack of an artistic touch.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Don't be afraid to rearrange things. Your structures are not permanent.

As an extension to this, I always play in mountains because I like being a dwarf. I tend to build a sort of ramshackle colony on the outside of the breach into the mountain, and then I slowly dig out rooms according to aesthetics and utility, so I will dig out rooms I need but make sure to put them in pleasing places, the colony functions fine with the outbuildings but as I start to get rooms finished, I move things undermountain one by one. I can then dismantle what buildings I don't need.

As a mountain base still wants a walled courtyard for planting and pasture however, it is perfectly sensible to start fortifying the outbuildings as you would a normal colony with a perimeter wall and such, it's just that your actual base will be slowly migrated below the mountain over time. You can speed this along by changing your room use in the mountain too. I always start with an entrance hall because that's useful for defence and just generally handy to have, you can put guns in there or something later on or carcass dumps for your hunters. That big room tends to first be used as a bedroom because of the temperature effects and mortar shielding, then it gets made into a dining room because it's a big room that can fit tables once I get dorms sorted for people, then it gets turned into a storeroom once I get a dining room set up, then it gets turned into the actual entrance hall once I don't need it for anything else.

Even if your structures are permanent because you dug them out of a mountain, their function need not be.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

As an extension to this, I always play in mountains because I like being a dwarf. I tend to build a sort of ramshackle colony on the outside of the breach into the mountain, and then I slowly dig out rooms according to aesthetics and utility, so I will dig out rooms I need but make sure to put them in pleasing places, the colony functions fine with the outbuildings but as I start to get rooms finished, I move things undermountain one by one. I can then dismantle what buildings I don't need.

As a mountain base still wants a walled courtyard for planting and pasture however, it is perfectly sensible to start fortifying the outbuildings as you would a normal colony with a perimeter wall and such, it's just that your actual base will be slowly migrated below the mountain over time. You can speed this along by changing your room use in the mountain too. I always start with an entrance hall because that's useful for defence and just generally handy to have, you can put guns in there or something later on or carcass dumps for your hunters. That big room tends to first be used as a bedroom because of the temperature effects and mortar shielding, then it gets made into a dining room because it's a big room that can fit tables once I get dorms sorted for people, then it gets turned into a storeroom once I get a dining room set up, then it gets turned into the actual entrance hall once I don't need it for anything else.

Even if your structures are permanent because you dug them out of a mountain, their function need not be.

That last bit also goes to the structures you build inside the mountain. Don't be afraid to build walls down there to redesign areas. Constructed walls have better beauty score than unshaped cave walls. Combined with the smooth stone floor, you can make very pretty bases in any way you like.

My advice is to consider the materials you are using. My hospital is entirely plasteel and sterile tiles, to give it that glitterworld medical center look. I'm also using glass doors from another mod. Don't forget you can change the materials used for furniture too. Said hospital also has plasteel medical beds, dressers, chairs, and the like.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Rock walls are ugly, and it's weird that you can smooth rock floors but have to build brick walls lining the interior of the cave walls too avoid it.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
The smooth stone floors have the best beauty rating too. And, the smoothing process is a great way to skill up quickly.

There is, of course, a mod for smoothing walls.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

I'm playing A17 since last playing A13 or so. 2900 watts per sun lamp? Wtf?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Heffer posted:

They do automatically turn themselves off now when the plant resting period starts so it is high, but not permanent. Solar panels are really good for that since they'll produce when your need is highest. Solar flares turn solar panels off but kill the rice (it really should be rice) in hydroponics anyway so whatever.

Eclipses kinda suck but, again, whatever. I use hydroponics whenever I use sunlamps and run it year round for base load food production, then use the outdoors seasonal stuff for stocking up. The loss of a batch of rice shouldn't kill your colony.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Download LT replace walls mod. If you need to change the base up you can just design the structures and outline over existing walls/rock. The walls/rock will be designated deconstruct/mine and it will save you a ton of time.

Heffer posted:

It is actually less since the lamps turn off at night. The 2900 is for it on all the time. I think the math works out to 1700 or so.

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 17, 2017

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
That's really good to know. I'm still on A16 because I want to send my colonists to space before I start A17, looking forward to some QoL fixes like that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Is there something I don't understand about Caravans? I keep getting these requests for specific trades, but the time limit is like 20 days and it's the dead of winter and travel times are more than 30 days to get to where they want me to trade. Do caravans travel faster if you have muffalo or something? All I have is turkeys.

Also is there a screen where I can see all my current available caravan missions?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I'm pretty sure there is no connection at all between "here are the mission requirements" and "is it possible to fulfill them".

Mzbundifund posted:

Also is there a screen where I can see all my current available caravan missions?

Not in report form, but you can see them on the world map (click on notable location icons).

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That dropship mood is really cool and exactly what I was hoping for. Unfortunately it seems to break slightly everytime I reload a save where I have a ship on the ground, so I have to devmode delete it and rebuild :smith:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Is there something I don't understand about Caravans? I keep getting these requests for specific trades, but the time limit is like 20 days and it's the dead of winter and travel times are more than 30 days to get to where they want me to trade. Do caravans travel faster if you have muffalo or something? All I have is turkeys.

I think the Caravan requests are randomly generated in random places. There must be a "within a certain distance" variable, because I've never seen one across the map.

I ignore most caravan missions until way after my first winter or so. And usually for me, the caravan requests are asking for 3,000 yorkie fur or crazy requests that I couldn't fulfill anyway. I typically start paying attention to caravan or raiding missions until after I have the ability to put my guys into drop pods to send them first class to the location they need to travel to. And then they walk back.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Is there a good modlist buried anywhere in the thread?

The only major mods I'm using are the Cult mod, EPOE and Prepare Carefully along with some minor QOL mods (refrigerator.)

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So another update on the discovery and recon mod. Spoilered for anyone else progressing through it.

So one of my colonists, a pirate by the name of Quartertooth, hears a psych scream during a psychic drone event. It sounded like a high pitched "EEEEEEE". Now, psychic drones are usually fully of voices telling you to murder your fiance, everyone is against you, etc. It's also everywhere. This psychic drone had a very specific direction. North. It's instructions inside of the droning. Go north. Find out who is making that high pitched noise.

So I saddle up 7 soldiers. Katia, Rynyk, Troy, Froro, Cass, Klob and Quartertooth for directions to this psychic screaming. They walk 2 days north in a caravan, skipping past desolate wastes. All the time Quartertooth hear's the pitch getting louder and louder.

Finally the group arrives at an old, abandoned castle. Quartertooth is nearly at his knees, the pitch is so high and has been constant for days. No sleep.

The soldiers form groups of three and clear out many of the rooms of the castle, finding scattered weapons, but nothing to indicate where the psychic scream is coming from. Finally everyone comes to the center of the castle.

A pristine white capsule sits there, lights blinking dully, almost out of Power. OSIRIS CASKET.

Froyo, our spear master armed with a shield pries the casket open with the tip of his spears. When it cracked open, the shriek was finally audible.

'RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETHEREISNOINTERNETHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Dave, a VR addict leaps out of the casket, pummeling the closest thing to him. In this case it is Froro. The spearmaster dodges a few blows before finally sticking his spear directly into Dave's throat, silencing the screeching nerd. Quartertooth sobs audibly as the ceaseless noise finally stops.

The crew examines the casket, figuring out which bits are the important ones. It's much too big to carry back, the thing taking up the size of a medium work room.

"OI! WHO'S THE SON OF A BITCH WHO'S BEEN PSYCHICALLY SCREAMING ABOUT COMCAST FOR THREE GOD drat DAYS?!"

A raiding party from the Fearful Stabbers has come. Twenty raiders strong. The little band is better armed, but a stray bullet can still kill a colonist. The raiders split into two parties, 5 men to the northern part of the castle. while the rest go to the narrow confines of the southern half. Katia heads north with her rail gun, the line of site clear, while the rest take up position in the cramped quarters of the southern half. Froro holds the door, spear at the ready and his shield belt crackling to life. Raindrops splash and sizzle against the invisible energy now surrounding the spear master.

Katia has little trouble to the north. The raiders have their limbs and heads blown off by the rail gun fire. To the south, things are much more grim. Froro holds the line barely, the moment on raider is cut down, another fills the spot. Gunfire from his comrades pours into the breach, sometime impacting his shield, but mostly slamming into the ranks of the invading raiders. Suddenly the shield is overwhelmed, breaking with a loud snap into the air. Froro feels raindrops on his shoulders, right before a tremendous impact to his head. Then darkness.

The colonists see Froro go down under the press of bodies. They're unsure if he is alive or dead. Troy and Rynyk press forward, smacking raiders with gun butts, fists, and pure rage. The raiders break and run. They find Froro.

There is a massive hole in his head. Brain matter sticks out, but he still looks around dazed. Suddenly he stands up and lurches forward. The colonists pull the brain damaged Froro to the center of the fort. Katia comes in with the bandages and begins triaging. Missing fingers, a hand gone, Klob stares blankly, blood across his face with destroyed eyes. But everyone is alive.

"OI! FUCKOS! I'll show you some loving latency!"

"You want some virtual reality? I'll give you plenty of REAL REALITY!" (Raiders are not known for their wit)

Katia, the only able bodied colonist heads to the top of the castle to see what is going on. Two more raiding groups arrived. One from the God Band, fanatical raiders who preach their chosen divinity in order to excuse their horrific crimes. Another from the Stone Faced Convicts, escaped prisoner from Granite-by-the-Plains prison. 50 raiders all told together.

Running back to the center, of the castle, the colonists hastily bandage their injuries and set up ramshackle defenses, using pieces of the OSIRIS CASKET as a sort of mock sandbag. Then they wait.

"WE WAS HERE FIRST!"
"SCREW YOU, YOUR MOM WAS HERE FIRST"
"RRRRREEEEEEEEEEE"

Gunfire and explosions break out. Turns out raiders do not get along. Especially when loot is on the line.

The God Band breaks and runs, much less well armed than the Stone Faced Convicts. They didn't bring rocket launchers after all. They leave behind 6 of their wounded. The Stone Faced Convicts, significantly reduced, storms the castle. They promptly storm back out under hail of gunfire. The raiders are gone.

All told, we now have this "OSIRIS AI", 8 prisoners, a lot of missing bits, and poor Froro has a brain injury. A little Luci will fix that right up though.

So that was the most white knuckle I have ever been in this game. The Recon and Discovery mod is just incredible.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Holy poo poo

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

For real, that sounds really cool.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This is me after starting with a Husky as the random animal and getting an event that gave me three female huskies. I really should setup separate animal areas so he stops impregnating all the bitches, giving me more dogs to feed.

I am so happy for finally using 'bitch' properly.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

pokchu posted:

Is there a good modlist buried anywhere in the thread?

The only major mods I'm using are the Cult mod, EPOE and Prepare Carefully along with some minor QOL mods (refrigerator.)

Mine is linked up thread somewhere, it's changed a little bit but not much.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ZearothK posted:

This is me after starting with a Husky as the random animal and getting an event that gave me three female huskies. I really should setup separate animal areas so he stops impregnating all the bitches, giving me more dogs to feed.

I am so happy for finally using 'bitch' properly.

Baby animals are great. You get a message when they first show up so you can get to them quick before they eat anything and they give a double flame pawn like 3,000 medical experience if you give them the euthanasia medical order instead of just ticking "slaughter". Costs an herbal medicine but whatever. Then you get free food/leather.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
that's grim, even for the rimworld thread

and I say that as someone who recently replaced their linkable pews with human leather armchairs in the temple because really, everyone has a right to comfort.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 18, 2017

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I have a nice growing muffalo herd. One of them lost his jaw to raiders. Strangely, he is still able to eat -- just not fight.

He now sires all the young muffalos while the rest of the males go out on caravan duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

A new version of Map Reroll is in beta and wowowow :gizz:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34153.0