Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Kawalimus posted:

I thought those were the chapters that got cut from ADWD

The Theon chapter was cut from ADWD, the Euron and Arya ("mercy") chapters were cut from AFFC, we can't know for certain when he wrote the Barristan, Victarion and Tyrion chapters but it's not like they advance the plot beyond the end of ADWD either way, ditto for the Arianne chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Actually this is real bad

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I would love to see an actual real life % of what hes written for WOW.

I bet its arseshittingly disappointing. Like 46% or something

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

hitchensgoespop posted:

I would love to see an actual real life % of what hes written for WOW.

I bet its arseshittingly disappointing. Like 46% or something

0%

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He's probably still rewriting Dany's ADWD chapters.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zzulu posted:

When Sean Bean died I was legit shocked

loving lmao.

And I'm not laughing because I was a book reader and you weren't, I'm just laughing because you apparently have very bad pattern recognition when it comes to Sean Bean's roles.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was sitting on the edge of my seat during The Martian for an errant car or meteor to slam into Sean Bean at any given moment.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Max posted:

I was sitting on the edge of my seat during The Martian for an errant car or meteor to slam into Sean Bean at any given moment.

Well his character's career died so there was that.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

lmao now he's doing an interview with Time http://time.com/4791258/game-of-thrones-george-r-r-martin-interview/

quote:

In the future, when A Song of Ice and Fire is concluded, do you hope to return to working in multifarious genres?

Yes… but I’ve still got years of this to go, and I’m already 68 years old, so… I have enough ideas right now to write other books until I was 168 years old. But I’m probably not going to live to be 168 years old. So how much time do I have? I’m always having new ideas, so I might never write some of these old ideas. So who knows? I write the things that I want to write.

I’ve been lucky with the success of these books and the show. I am going to finish these books; I think I have that obligation to the world and my readers. It’s the thing I’m going to be remembered for. But I will write other things after that, I hope. I might go back to writing short stories. I loved writing short stories. I haven’t done them in many years, but there is something to be said. I am never going to write again a gigantic seven-book opus that takes 30 years!

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

ASoIaF 6.0: I Am (Not) Going To Finish These Books

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

George R R Martin posted:

The show is great, but a television show and a novel are different things. The television show has real-world concerns that I don’t have. There’s a very big budget, it’s one of the largest budgets in television, but it’s still a budget, they can’t just keep adding characters. I can!

Yeah you... can...

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The Winds of Winter has 1400 characters.

That's enough for 10 tweets.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Donald Trump writes more than GURM and he's practically illiterate.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

RCarr posted:

Donald Trump writes more than GURM and he's practically illiterate.

Look I hate Grum as much as anyone but that's going a bit too far.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

But how far is too far enough?!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'd be interested to see the word count between Trump's Twitter feed of the last five years vs. the released WoW chapters.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'd be interested to see the word count between Trump's Twitter feed of the last five years vs. the released WoW chapters.

Real words or made up ones? GRRM can only compete in the real.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Super Deuce posted:

Real words or made up ones? GRRM can only compete in the real.

Then he loses out on a ton of nuncles and sers. Many more if fake proper nouns don't count either.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

WampaLord posted:

loving lmao.

And I'm not laughing because I was a book reader and you weren't, I'm just laughing because you apparently have very bad pattern recognition when it comes to Sean Bean's roles.

Some of us think of him as Sharpe :colbert:

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

McNally posted:

Some of us think of him as Sharpe :colbert:

*sick electric guitar riff*

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I'm pretty sure the Sean Bean dies meme wasn't a thing before Ned. If it was then it definitely wasn't as common knowledge.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

drunken officeparty posted:

I'm pretty sure the Sean Bean dies meme wasn't a thing before Ned. If it was then it definitely wasn't as common knowledge.

I can think of LOTR, Goldeneye, Equilibrium, Patriot Games, and Black Death off the top of my head. Apparently, his character has died in about 1/3 of his movies.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Naah it was. I remember joking about it with book readers when he was cast as Ned.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's been a thing for a long while, my man.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

skasion posted:

I can think of LOTR, Goldeneye, Equilibrium, Patriot Games, and Black Death off the top of my head. Apparently, his character has died in about 1/3 of his movies.

Yeah obviously he did die in his roles but at least I had never heard anyone make the connection for the joke until Ned.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Yeah obviously he did die in his roles but at least I had never heard anyone make the connection for the joke until Ned.

Sean bean has died in 21 of his 119 credited appearances onscreen. However, that number is misleadingly low because it doesn't count deaths during voice work, which would add another fourth, and it does count work as a narrator or some other non-human character who can't reasonably be expected to die.

If you boil it down, dude dies roughly 25% of all onscreen appearances. Which is hilarious.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

I thought "Oh hey yeah that's pretty perfect" back when they cast him as Boromir.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I was incredibly shocked to learn his character's fate in Ronin

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

Then he loses out on a ton of nuncles and sers. Many more if fake proper nouns don't count either.

Sure, but Trump loses out on the biglys and covfefes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

GRRM said something interesting in the TIME article today. He said, and who knows how true it is in the show, that people resurrected by red priests aren't so much resurrected as reanimated. They don't have flowing blood or even a heartbeat. He even called them wights. So basically the only difference between Jon and some rando skeleton from the Night's King army is that he still has his memories.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

They don't have flowing blood or even a heartbeat

Thats gonna make zero sense when he sexes Danaerys

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

TOOT BOOT posted:

GRRM said something interesting in the TIME article today. He said, and who knows how true it is in the show, that people resurrected by red priests aren't so much resurrected as reanimated. They don't have flowing blood or even a heartbeat. He even called them wights. So basically the only difference between Jon and some rando skeleton from the Night's King army is that he still has his memories.

We don't know that wights don't have their memories either, they are just controlled by the walkers.

The wights resurrected in castle black seem to know the layout of the castle and go for Mormont's chamber directly, the wight wildling woman killed by Varamyr remembers Varamyr and looks right at him after he switches bodies into his wolf.

It's kinda creepy like that.

Of course PJacobs believes that the corpses are reanimated and controlled using telekinesis, including Jon, cause that's some fetish gurm has, gurm wrote at least one necrophiliac novel where people reanimate corpses and gently caress them.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

Yeah, wights are animated by ice and R'hllor's chosen are animated by fire.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Constant posted:

Thats gonna make zero sense when he sexes Danaerys

That might be something that doesn't happen in the books honestly.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TOOT BOOT posted:

That might be something that doesn't happen in the books honestly.

If it does not happen in the books, it will be the best proof that the show turned to poo poo.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Jon Snow will never get hard again

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Rigor mortis and the icy cold northern winds will keep him hard

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
No, it's cool, cold, even. His boners are fueled by a delicious ice slurry that any Westerosi female would be privileged to enjoy.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Last Deadwood update before this thread blows up on Sunday: season 3 good. Ending bad but season still better than 2. Couldn't not see Hearst as Raymond Tusk from House of Cards.

What HBO show do I do next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Last Deadwood update before this thread blows up on Sunday: season 3 good. Ending bad but season still better than 2. Couldn't not see Hearst as Raymond Tusk from House of Cards.

What HBO show do I do next

You watched Rome yet?

• Locked thread