Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Most folders except the Ikontas have some problems with standard rigidity/straightness, and pretty much all of them have some issues with vacuum from opening the camera pulling the film out of the film plane, right? I'm looking at the Konica Pearl line.

Sauer posted:

If you have a decent smart phone use it as a light meter.

My favorite light meter is the Olympus XA. It even comes with a miniature rangefinder camera inside.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
D in the Forest by Jason, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
State Theatre, Kosice. Moskva 5, 6x9. Fomapan 200.

Moskva003 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Helen Highwater posted:

State Theatre, Kosice. Moskva 5, 6x9. Fomapan 200.

Moskva003 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

You should wet print that one. It's super sharp and with split-filter printing you could control your tonality super precisely.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 14, 2017

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Our wedding season is starting to pick up a little and I'd like to get a medium format setup to complement my kit.

There's a Pentax 67 with a 55/3.5, 105/2.4, 150/2.8 and 75/4.5 available for $700 that I've found. Would I be mad looking at this setup? it's clearly seen some years and the seller has noted that it will probably need a service, would I be missing anything blindingly obvious with it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

sildargod posted:

Our wedding season is starting to pick up a little and I'd like to get a medium format setup to complement my kit.

There's a Pentax 67 with a 55/3.5, 105/2.4, 150/2.8 and 75/4.5 available for $700 that I've found. Would I be mad looking at this setup? it's clearly seen some years and the seller has noted that it will probably need a service, would I be missing anything blindingly obvious with it?

To be honest yes that's way too expensive for a camera which is almost certainly broken - why else would the seller include that disclosure? My 67 repair for what it's worth cost me $350 although that included replacement of some electrical components.

Make sure when you're buying a 67 that it has MLU, and make sure it has some kind of warranty. I take it you're shooting the 67 in addition to some DSLRs but it'd still be nice to not worry about it being broken when you're doing weddings.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

To be honest yes that's way too expensive for a camera which is almost certainly broken - why else would the seller include that disclosure? My 67 repair for what it's worth cost me $350 although that included replacement of some electrical components.

Make sure when you're buying a 67 that it has MLU, and make sure it has some kind of warranty. I take it you're shooting the 67 in addition to some DSLRs but it'd still be nice to not worry about it being broken when you're doing weddings.

That's what I'd figured. It will be in combination with my fuji kit, I'm too dumb a photographer to risk taking on a wedding with only film!

There's a way cheaper rb67 pro s with a 127/3.5 that I think I will test the waters with, seems in far far better condition.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

sildargod posted:

That's what I'd figured. It will be in combination with my fuji kit, I'm too dumb a photographer to risk taking on a wedding with only film!

There's a way cheaper rb67 pro s with a 127/3.5 that I think I will test the waters with, seems in far far better condition.

They're completely different cameras with completely different styles of shooting (P67 is basically a large SLR in terms of handholding/tripod level, while you'd be shooting the rb67 at waist level) so you might not find it very indicative of a p67 experience to try the rb67. Why not pick up a from-Japan P67 with MLU on ebay with warranty? I did and I have been very happy with it. My repair was only made necessary by the fact I took it out in the rain like a moron.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

They're completely different cameras with completely different styles of shooting (P67 is basically a large SLR in terms of handholding/tripod level, while you'd be shooting the rb67 at waist level) so you might not find it very indicative of a p67 experience to try the rb67. Why not pick up a from-Japan P67 with MLU on ebay with warranty? I did and I have been very happy with it. My repair was only made necessary by the fact I took it out in the rain like a moron.

My biggest concern with doing that would be our postal service, we're famous for being bad enough that ebay stopped all shipments to South Africa for a while. That said, there are some really nice looking ones already, so i'll do some more serious checking there.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
For $625 you could get a brand new Arax 88. Put another $80 in there and he'll pimp it out for you with a custom covering and engravings. For that you get a 6x6 MF camera, an 80mm f/2.8 lens, two film backs, a metered prism and a waist-level finder. With a warranty.

For about $500 you can stick with the SLR format and get a new Arax 60 which has much the same stuff except that it doesn't need film backs.

I have both of those cameras (well, I have an Arax 88 and an original Kiev 60 which was CLAd by Arax). I prefer the 88 but I use both with waist-level finders instead of prisms. Being able to switch film types in the middle of a roll is handy and it's easier to find room for a brick-shaped 88 in a bag than for another big SLR-shaped camera body. I've put hundreds of rolls through those cameras and they have worked flawlessly for me.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

sildargod posted:

One of the few downsides to the P67 is the lack of backs. You can't switch mid-roll and you can't insta-reload by popping on a fresh back, so when shooting a wedding you will have to be very aware of your film and how many shots you have left. Everyone used cameras with backs to shoot weddings, and the handful of people who used a P67 almost certainly would have had two complete bodies for the same reason (and an assistant to load them). You say "complement" your kit, which is fine, just do consider the practicalities of wedding photography.

Also if you are shooting anywhere that needs flash you are in the wrong system, you want a leaf-shutter camera like a Hasselblad, Bronica GS-1, or Koni-Omega.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

sildargod posted:

Unless you are a seasoned MF shooter I don't recommend you get a complicated kit to use at weddings. Get one camera and one lens. My recommendation is a Fuji gw690. It's simple, sharp as hell, runs about $300 online, and gives you a huge negative. The downside is that that it's got an f/3.5 lens, it's a rangefinder, and it doesn't focus particularly close (it won't let you do tight face shots but head and shoulders would be fine).

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 14, 2017

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

First time shooting Provia. Made some mistakes and learned a lot about how I should have exposed it.

80s Aesthetic storefront by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Magenta? by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Commercial Benches by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Finished scanning in a few more provia shots.

Battlement by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Reflection Series UBC by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Stairway 150/2.8 test by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Those pics make me excited to shoot the (expired) roll of Provia i got in this haul

They're all expired but has been kept in a freezer since purchase, so we'll see how much fun i'll ahve color correcting in post :)

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

A lost civilization of highway overpass builders

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Skyblue by Trevor Zuliani, on Flickr

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 27, 2017

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Ribbon "Art"

Night on Metcalfe

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Anyone here used the Pentax 67 75/2.8 AL?

I pretty much expect that it does what it says on the tin, like most of that series. Sharp and fast with maybe some additional distortion.

Conceptually that would be a good single-lens kit, a little wider than the 90 and probably sharper wide open. It's just expensive as all hell.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;

Paul MaudDib posted:

Anyone here used the Pentax 67 75/2.8 AL?

I pretty much expect that it does what it says on the tin, like most of that series. Sharp and fast with maybe some additional distortion.

Conceptually that would be a good single-lens kit, a little wider than the 90 and probably sharper wide open. It's just expensive as all hell.

I don't have the 2.8, I have the 4.5, but I've been using that focal length for my go-to lens and I really enjoy it. I also have the 55 and I stray towards the 75 more. I haven't shot with the 90, but I have one on the way. I think having the range of ~27, ~35 and ~50mm equivalents should be more than enough. Have you put a lot of time in with anything longer than the 90, and would you recommend maybe the 105 instead?

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Can someone recommend a good cable release for the 67? I want to try some long exposure shots. I'm guessing any threaded release will work, but was curious what you guys are using.

Probably a long shot, but are there any "remote" options available?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Choicecut posted:

Can someone recommend a good cable release for the 67? I want to try some long exposure shots. I'm guessing any threaded release will work, but was curious what you guys are using.

hit mirror lockup, turn the dial into the space between X and 1000, and fire with your hand. this holds the shutter open until you move the dial back onto an actual speed. if you're worried about shake, put your hand in front of the lens before you fire the shutter

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
You can also get friction releases that screw into the shutter button. I have an old Russian one where you tighten or loosen it to get a longer or shorter timer, then it fires the camera once the spring is released.

If you're comfortable around a soldering iron, there's also this DIY wireless mechanical release project

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Choicecut posted:

I use a generic cable release from amazon and it works great.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I'm feeling the itch for an MF SLR, so I'm looking at either the Pentax or the Hasselblad. While I do have a fondness for square formats, 6x7 is probably my favorite aspect ratio. Has anyone shot extensively with both? How did they compare on usability and print quality?

I'd probably go with 50/80 on the Blad, and either 55/105 on the Pentax or maybe even the zoom.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 6, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Helicity posted:

I'm feeling the itch for an MF SLR, so I'm looking at either the Pentax or the Hasselblad. While I do have a fondness for square formats, 6x7 is probably my favorite aspect ratio. Has anyone shot extensively with both? How did they compare on usability and print quality?

I'd probably go with 50/80 on the Blad, and either 55/105 on the Pentax or maybe even the zoom.

If you get the metered prism the Pentax is more convenient but still much heavier. Print quality is the same basically. You get 2 more shots per roll on the blad. The Pentax has electrical components and they're expensive if they fail.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

VelociBacon posted:

If you get the metered prism the Pentax is more convenient but still much heavier. Print quality is the same basically. You get 2 more shots per roll on the blad. The Pentax has electrical components and they're expensive if they fail.

Is the weight difference like "oh gently caress this is heavy I hate this"? Do the 67s tend to need repairs, and are they easy to find repairs for? Part of the reason I'm looking at a new MF camera is that I'm getting anxious that the RF on my Mamiya 7 will knock out of alignment or something else will break - and repairs don't seem to be super feasible (and rangefinder MFs in general just don't "feel" right to me).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Helicity posted:

Is the weight difference like "oh gently caress this is heavy I hate this"? Do the 67s tend to need repairs, and are they easy to find repairs for? Part of the reason I'm looking at a new MF camera is that I'm getting anxious that the RF on my Mamiya 7 will knock out of alignment or something else will break - and repairs don't seem to be super feasible (and rangefinder MFs in general just don't "feel" right to me).

Relative to a Mamiya 7, the pentax isn't as hard to repair (neither is a space shuttle). The only person who really repairs the 67 is a guy in the states who does good work but charges an appropriate amount for it. I needed some electronics replaced, that + a CLA was $500 CAD.

The weight difference is huge. I'm a 6'2" 210lb guy and I have to swap which arm I'm carrying the 67 with as I walk around. It's heavy. The goon I most often go shoot with has a 500cm and I would say the pentax is around 80% heavier. if you're also carting around a tripod it gets to be a bit much. It doesn't bug me too bad but I can't imagine a smaller person wanting to sherpa that camera around for too long. This is with the handle and TTL prism which I think is the heaviest possible combo.

Other things to keep in mind is that you can swap backs on the fly with the blad. The lenses are WAY cheaper on the pentax side and TBH I find them sharp as hell - if you can nail focus which is a challenge sometimes due to the microprism focusing system. I'd kill for a split screen style.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helicity posted:

I tried both and I preferred the Hasselblad by a mile. But it really is a personal preference thing - ergonomics and weight matters a lot and it's very personal. Don't forget the Hasselblad uses a WLF which flips the image unlike the P67.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

alkanphel posted:

I tried both and I preferred the Hasselblad by a mile. But it really is a personal preference thing - ergonomics and weight matters a lot and it's very personal. Don't forget the Hasselblad uses a WLF which flips the image unlike the P67.

The 67 WLF also flips the image just to be clear. But you can get prisms for the pentax.