Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, I'm of the opinion that states should largely be turned into infrastructure, planning, and coordination rules. (And also that Melbourne and Victoria should be two seperate parliaments)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

NPR Journalizard posted:

gently caress off bigis its been plainly explained a bunch of times, if you are too stupid to realise who the mistake happened, you should just go kill yourself.

Has it?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

bigis posted:

Lol how do you not know if you hold citizenship of another country.

What an idiot.

I agree.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
if that petition is any indication then he probably knew about it 3 years ago and didn't take it seriously enough

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Three years ago was the middle of Obama Birther mocking, he probably would've assumed shitstirring.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

starkebn posted:

if that petition is any indication then he probably knew about it 3 years ago and didn't take it seriously enough

I think paying attention to internet petitions that don't even get a dozen signatures is a poor precedent to set, even if they occasionally end up being correct.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Hobo Erotica posted:

I guess my Question is are we better served by having 9 departments of roads / transport, health, education, police, etc, or would just the 1 be more efficient.

Even if it was on a case by case basis, would some things be better adminsitwred at a federal level than a state level.

Basically, if state governments run something then generally it'll be more reactive to local need, and if the federal government run something then it'll be more standardised across the country and it'll have more money behind it; either isn't a bad option depending, though obviously there are some areas where it makes sense for one side or the other to have power (eg local infrastructure and planning for state government, health and education for the feds).

The big issues come up where responsibility is shared. Then it's a free for all between nine parties where the feds have all the money but the states have all the power to actually implement whatever the federal government wants to do. These sorts of negotiations take months if not years, and at the end you get a 10 page document where the states get a small amount of money for a vaguely defined purpose and by the way you need to start over again in three years time.

This is all governed by the constitution which isn't bad as constitutions go but it's clearly a document of its time and has a huge amount of holes. For example, in education: the federal government has complete and utter control over higher education, states basically get no say at all. On the other hand, states hold the majority of power in vocational education (this doesn't stop the feds trying to muscle in on the action through for example VET FEE-HELP, which was rorted insanely hard and was a complete failure of a program). This is a pet peeve of mine because it's an insurmountable barrier to creating a joined up tertiary education system the likes of which you see in Europe (for example, Germany's system is pretty top class), so there's this idiotic tug of war between vocational education and university education that serves noone. Meanwhile, responsibility of schooling is shared between governments, but by virtue of funding agreements states have the power in public schools and the federal government has the power in private schools. Theoretically it forces the states and federal government to come to a compromise that benefits both the individual states and the country as a whole, but in reality it's a complete clusterfuck.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

starkebn posted:

What difference would it have made? Resign 3 years ago?

Bb joey give me a minute

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Auspol August - in reality it's a complete clusterfuck

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Hobo Erotica posted:

Bb joey give me a minute

If the Greens knew 3 years ago or had reason to suspect and check (discounting the fact that they should have done their goddamn due diligence when he first ran), he shouldn't have run in the most recent election. Which makes it ignorance (bad, for a party billing itself as the 'credible alternative') or they knew and figured revealing it was more damaging and he was their best election prospect. (worse. Way worse.)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Hobo Erotica posted:

Bb joey give me a minute

or check, and get legal advice before someone had his balls in a vice?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Mattjpwns posted:

If the Greens knew 3 years ago or had reason to suspect and check (discounting the fact that they should have done their goddamn due diligence when he first ran), he shouldn't have run in the most recent election. Which makes it ignorance (bad, for a party billing itself as the 'credible alternative') or they knew and figured revealing it was more damaging and he was their best election prospect. (worse. Way worse.)

And now, someone else in the Greens has used it to lever him out, right after they tried to isolate Rhiannon and kill off democracy in the party.

A closet Tory is proving that change from within can work after all!

starkebn
May 18, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

And now, someone else in the Greens has used it to lever him out, right after they tried to isolate Rhiannon and kill off democracy in the party.

so that's the gossip? this is interparty conflict?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

starkebn posted:

so that's the gossip? this is interparty conflict?

I'm not a member, I just assume it to be the case since neither major party benefits as the seat stays Green, so they wouldn't have bothered.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Benefit from the Greens not having their top talent though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

I'm not a member, I just assume it to be the case since neither major party benefits as the seat stays Green, so they wouldn't have bothered.

apart from the fact that just making the Greens look more dysfunctional does damage no matter what, and Scott is one of the most well known and well liked Greens parliamentarians there is

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It reflects badly on the Greens, there are lots of people and organisations that could have been behind it. Sue vs Hill wasn't an intraparty conspiracy, it was a constituent (and another candidate) who brought the case. Same with the birther stuff about Abbott, although it never got that far.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

I absolutely loving loathe Tony Abbott, but the timing and slam of this document drop is the most impressive thing he (to be fair, probably his office) have done.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the missing date below the signature.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Mattjpwns posted:

I absolutely loving loathe Tony Abbott, but the timing and slam of this document drop is the most impressive thing he (to be fair, probably his office) have done.

He's been holding on to it for 2.5 years.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

To be fair keeping a "well gently caress you" document close to your chest until a good time comes around is a pro move.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Wouldn't surprise me, to be honest. The "birther" movement was a super useful distraction for a floundering government. Why would you shut that poo poo down unless you absolutely had to?

e: the date! You weren't just making a guess at a time period. Tony has never owned anyone this hard.

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 14, 2017

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

DancingShade posted:

I'm the missing date below the signature.

Top right hand coroner, just under "our ref".

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Hobo Erotica posted:

Bb joey give me a minute

i absolutely refuse to give you even a second more of my time goonsire!!!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
full annexation of new zealand now

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Box of Bunnies posted:

full annexation of new zealand now

what if Ludlam was NZ's "Manchurian Candidate"?

makes u think

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The future of Australia is even more sheep.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

BBJoey posted:

Basically, if state governments run something then generally it'll be more reactive to local need, and if the federal government run something then it'll be more standardised across the country and it'll have more money behind it; either isn't a bad option depending, though obviously there are some areas where it makes sense for one side or the other to have power (eg local infrastructure and planning for state government, health and education for the feds).

The big issues come up where responsibility is shared. Then it's a free for all between nine parties where the feds have all the money but the states have all the power to actually implement whatever the federal government wants to do. These sorts of negotiations take months if not years, and at the end you get a 10 page document where the states get a small amount of money for a vaguely defined purpose and by the way you need to start over again in three years time.

This is all governed by the constitution which isn't bad as constitutions go but it's clearly a document of its time and has a huge amount of holes. For example, in education: the federal government has complete and utter control over higher education, states basically get no say at all. On the other hand, states hold the majority of power in vocational education (this doesn't stop the feds trying to muscle in on the action through for example VET FEE-HELP, which was rorted insanely hard and was a complete failure of a program). This is a pet peeve of mine because it's an insurmountable barrier to creating a joined up tertiary education system the likes of which you see in Europe (for example, Germany's system is pretty top class), so there's this idiotic tug of war between vocational education and university education that serves noone. Meanwhile, responsibility of schooling is shared between governments, but by virtue of funding agreements states have the power in public schools and the federal government has the power in private schools. Theoretically it forces the states and federal government to come to a compromise that benefits both the individual states and the country as a whole, but in reality it's a complete clusterfuck.

Sorry kids are in bed now.

But yeah, pretty much. Thanks for a good post. For me it's just an unnecessary extra level of bureaucracy. If we didn't have states, we wouldn't invent them. They're a relic from pre-federation. Like you say, it was a document of its time.

Move things like planning laws down to local level (where a lot of them already are), move things like education and health up to the federal level, and you're left with not much which is best executed at a state level. Maybe things like highways, but even then, it'd be better managed by a central government with suitably specific regional departments.

The constant battle for funding is just exhausting, as is the shifting of blame and responsibility. That tug of war just consumes so much time and energy.

Really the only argument I see in favour of states is "not having all your eggs in one basket", but I don't think its worth it, because so many baskets just creates more problems.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Les Affaires posted:

Top right hand coroner, just under "our ref".

Yeah I saw it, I'm just surprised anyone who signs official correspondence doesn't date their signature. You know, in writing.

That's like day one.

Otherwise you can do some pretty crazy stuff with e-sigs.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

gently caress off bigis its been plainly explained a bunch of times, if you are too stupid to realise who the mistake happened, you should just go kill yourself.

Nice meltdown

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Mattjpwns posted:

Yeah, I think I'm done with helping out the Greens until they get their poo poo together. This is just loving embarassing PolSci 101 stuff.

hurr durr candidate born in another country, do we double check their eligibility on rules that are taught in high school politics? nah mate she'll be fine.

e: Oh man. Between the petition from 3 years ago and the rest of the drama in the Greens, I am loving done. How long have the Greens potentially known this was an issue and ignored it? That petition was before the most recent Senate election.

you wimp

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Lol at people being convinced by Tony's fake Citizenship Revocation.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah, please don't piss conspiracy theories around as facts when about a third of the thread are actual members and probably DO have access to insider information, because people are liable to believe it, and spread it around.

This was almost certainly the libs, as he's been a massive thorn in their side for a full decade, and regularly pisses all over Brandis and company in Estimates. He would have been a massive threat if he actually had any leadership aspirations at all. He was a huge assett to the party, and didn't gently caress around with factional poo poo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/SharriMarkson/status/885811234464948224

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bigis posted:

Nice meltdown

If you think that's a melt down by auspol standards you are even stupider than first thought

starkebn
May 18, 2004

quote:

If the court determines Senator Ludlam’s election was ineligible, as anticipated, the Department of Finance and Senate will calculate the debt of the salaries, benefits, travel allowance, staff and office costs he has received during the time in Parliament. This is at least $1.6 million in base salary alone.

Senator Ludlam can either repay the money, or apply to Special Minister of State Scott Ryan to have it waived.

If it doesn't get waived then I would not be impressed, Bob Day was able to walk away.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

BBJoey posted:

When your state is a third of the country (WA by area, NSW by population), how reactive to local needs could it really be? The needs of regional NSW are different to the needs of Sydney, but the state will weigh those needs very differently. If you want a government responding to local needs wouldn't splitting the states into regional bodies (constituting the relevant councils) be a better compromise? A low population region is going to have to fight for funding regardless of whether it is with a state or federal government.

The bigger question is how much work and planning is being duplicated between government levels. If you take the state government away, the local and federal governments will have to massively increase in size to cover work performed by the state. On that basis I suspect the state is fairly efficient for the functions it performs.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Why the gently caress do I bother keeping up with auspol. There's always more and it's always worse.

gently caress the state of this stupid country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tokamak posted:

The bigger question is how much work and planning is being duplicated between government levels. If you take the state government away, the local and federal governments will have to massively increase in size to cover work performed by the state. On that basis I suspect the state is fairly efficient for the functions it performs.

On the other hand, how much duplication and waste exists by having to run all the overhead of seven different health departments and hospital networks, or similarly for education, instead of one.

And organisationally the better divider for those would probably be Metro Health and Rural Health, rather than states.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jul 14, 2017

• Locked thread