Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Barudak posted:

Thanks press turn system, which is designed to swing extremely hard if your not optimized for it. It was unbelievably egregious in SMTIV where if the game assigned you Walter as your partner during the Minotaur fight you were better off quitting and reloading immediately.

Oh god, you were utterly hosed. The AI will just keep on hitting the enemies resistance/immunity and they basically just hand dodges and extra turns to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Croccers posted:

I'm pissed they dropped the whole handheld RPG Sports Tennis/Golf in the DS and 3DS era.
Power Tennis is meh.
World Tour Golf on 3DS isn't too bad but it's mostly just Challenges, or the weird online play meta.

The golf games were great, too. Neat challenges, but with some decent courses as well. I'd like to see more of them. More handheld Mario sports would make me rebuy a 3ds. Or buy a switch.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm enjoying the Homefront Revolution demo, but man the main character is so sluggish even with maximum sensitivity on PS4. The hitboxes are a little finicky, the auto aim a little wonky, and your turning speed is awful. By themselves these problems aren't really an issue but all three together and :byodood:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Testekill posted:

Oh god, you were utterly hosed. The AI will just keep on hitting the enemies resistance/immunity and they basically just hand dodges and extra turns to them.

Of all the changes SMTIV made the most important one was giving your partners actual AI and letting you set which one you took along with you.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Captain Lavender posted:

I got the FFX/FFX-2 Remaster on Steam - and I actually love it. I like it more than when FFX first came out. A lot of the minor gripes just don't seem so important any more. Tidus still looks like an idiot designed him - like a complete idiot. But his character makes sense and isn't all that awful.

BUT...

When you talk to cats...

they. don't. meow.

I thought we had this figured out in SNES days, I mean jfc.

Also the fact that not only are the cutscenes unskippable but the ability to speed up the game that they added to the remaster doesn't work during cutscenes.

I get that it was due to programming weirdness and not a creative choice but still.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Not being able to skip cutscenes is a bummer, but it will give you a little bit of time to read a book, answer some texts, stuff like that. I know that isn't a great solution, but if you're replaying the game, it's a good way to deal with all the cutscenes.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Guy Mann posted:

Also the fact that not only are the cutscenes unskippable but the ability to speed up the game that they added to the remaster doesn't work during cutscenes.

I get that it was due to programming weirdness and not a creative choice but still.

I think it's a deliberate spite for the players at this point. Punishment for mocking the story for like, a decade plus.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The argument seems to have passed, but I want to observe that this is a thread for complaining about things in videogames that you don't like, whether the complaints seem reasonable or not. Please stop going for each other's throats over such highly subjective content.

Additionally, I'd appreciate if the words autist/autism weren't flung around with such reckless abandon. It seems to be the new go-to insult and I'm tired of seeing it.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Did they ever manage to add cutscene skipping back to Kingdom Hearts 1? I know that 2 has it.

FFX probably doesn't have it because of the way it loads high-res and low-res models, and also because the game is fully 3D but doesn't have a fully 3D camera, meaning that a bunch of objects probably don't have a proper back. Kingdom Hearts had a free camera so cutscene skipping works fine.

I do kinda miss the days of PS1-era FF having your polygonal character run around a pre-rendered background, though. Seems like it would work nicely for more budget games.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
KH final mix had cutscene skipping. I never would have cleared Riku II on Critical without it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

bewilderment posted:

I do kinda miss the days of PS1-era FF having your polygonal character run around a pre-rendered background, though. Seems like it would work nicely for more budget games.

I watched the GDQ run of FF7 and I thought the pre rendered backgrounds actually looked really lovely, and the models are notoriously ugly. For a game that has a reputation of not holding up visually, I think it was very nice to look at.

e: and listen to. I love a good MIDI soundtrack and the sound effects have a weird lo-fi grunge that I also liked a lot. I know positive thoughts belong in the other thread but there was something strangely appealing and unique about the transitional era before Final Fantasy went fully 3D.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Jul 14, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

bewilderment posted:

Say what you will about Five Nights At Freddys but it introduced an entire generation of kids to gaming with prerendered graphics.

Also once real-time ray tracing becomes a thing I bet so many games are going to have faux-prerendered graphics.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RagnarokAngel posted:

KH final mix had cutscene skipping. I never would have cleared Riku II on Critical without it.

I don't remember, but could you dodge that one attack that fucks everyone up if you spam dodge like you could do with pretty much everything in Birth By Sleep (except for Terra)?

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Byzantine posted:

You can have any character you like, so long as it's Nate.

Well, better Nate than lever.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I just realized why my mostly-just-Windows install is so short on drive space: Fallout 4 stores its saves on that drive, even though my game is installed on an entirely other drive.

You know what happens when you save a lot in Fallout 4? double-digit gigs of saves*. I wouldn't really care, but I was experiencing a consistent crash in Grand Theft Auto V that might be caused by that game having been incompletely patched when I installed it, because it didn't have enough room to fully download to that drive (which is, again, not the drive I'm installing the game to)**.

* Odds are someone will say I don't have to save so much, and there's a 1:1 likelihood that this person has complained about having to go back to an old save because they didn't save enough, so their opinion is pointless
** At least I'm hoping that's the case

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nuebot posted:

Your party was just limited to who you could use for like half the game. Which kind of sucked because by the time you got the last party member, everyone else had a bunch of skills and stuff so you never wanted to use him.

i thought that was the point, though. Cielo just wasn't very good compared to every other character. It was my understanding that he was only truly useful in the optional post-game boss fight in DDS1?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Resident Evil 6, why are your levels insanely long? Like just split them up into thirds, theres no reason a stage should be over an hour and a half long and within it have multiple level transitions, cool down areas, and boss fights.

Blind Sally posted:

i thought that was the point, though. Cielo just wasn't very good compared to every other character. It was my understanding that he was only truly useful in the optional post-game boss fight in DDS1?

Cielo was really, really disastrously bad in DDS1. It also can't have been on purpose because they unfucked him for DDS2.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

"truly useful" is kind of dubious there even because his weakness to status effects (which, again, just what.) just meant he had a 100% chance of getting put to sleep when the dude used his sleep skill and you could use a strategy that involved putting on the awkwardly named null-sleep which made every attack miss if a character was asleep. It was the only null- skill you could use during the fight and no other null- skill worked that way. In theory you could use anyone else, but it would be a bit of a crapshoot if like, he was almost dead but then they didn't fall asleep.

This was the same game where like, the first quarter of it saddles you with a party member that just straight up doesn't gain AP because she refuses to eat people. Because cannibalism is gross or something. What a nerd.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Was the Nul-Sleep thing a glitch? That sounds like they hosed up a variable.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Barudak posted:

Resident Evil 6, why are your levels insanely long? Like just split them up into thirds, theres no reason a stage should be over an hour and a half long and within it have multiple level transitions, cool down areas, and boss fights.

Not only are the levels long but they feel even longer. The boss fights and setpieces overstay their welcome every time. The slav-land boss fight with the big hulk monsters especially dragged on for so long I never want to play that game again. And once you beat a boss fight you have to watch the fallout four ten minutes because yeah let's discuss this monster #78 and what we've learned today.

Vic has a new favorite as of 11:08 on Jul 14, 2017

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

* Odds are someone will say I don't have to save so much

Aren't you the guy who said that he couldn't believe people beat Mario World without savestates?

E: And before you ask, no, I've never needed to load an old save in a Bethesda game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Somfin posted:

Aren't you the guy who said that he couldn't believe people beat Mario World without savestates?

He does make a good point that when I install a game on a drive I want all of it, including saves, to be on that drive.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The battle system in Persona 5 is kind of butt, in some respects. Lots of enemy encounters can wipe your party in one lucky turn (or kill your leader anyway, which results in a game over) and throw you back an annoyingly long way to the last save point.This usually isn't a problem, since you can wipe them in one turn first by exploiting their weaknesses to use baton passes and all out attacks. But some enemies have no weaknesses at all, and against them you pretty much have to get lucky and hope for a crit. There are moves that boost your crit rate, but they're unreliable.

Since there's like a 5% chance that not wiping out the enemy immediately will result in a game over I'm now just running from all encounters with enemies that don't have weaknesses. Sucks, but I don't really want to roll the dice on losing half an hour of progress.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

MisterBibs posted:

I just realized why my mostly-just-Windows install is so short on drive space: Fallout 4 stores its saves on that drive, even though my game is installed on an entirely other drive.

You know what happens when you save a lot in Fallout 4? double-digit gigs of saves*. I wouldn't really care, but I was experiencing a consistent crash in Grand Theft Auto V that might be caused by that game having been incompletely patched when I installed it, because it didn't have enough room to fully download to that drive (which is, again, not the drive I'm installing the game to)**.

* Odds are someone will say I don't have to save so much, and there's a 1:1 likelihood that this person has complained about having to go back to an old save because they didn't save enough, so their opinion is pointless
** At least I'm hoping that's the case

You know that saving to Documents or %APPDATA% and not the game folder has been standard on windows for over a decade right? It's only recently that indie games without installers have been bringing back same folders saves. But really if you want to solve that you can have windows relocate the Documents folder to another drive if you want. Having all saves in one place makes it a lot easier to find them instead of having to dig around on a game to game basis.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Hel posted:

You know that saving to Documents or %APPDATA% and not the game folder has been standard on windows for over a decade right? It's only recently that indie games without installers have been bringing back same folders saves. But really if you want to solve that you can have windows relocate the Documents folder to another drive if you want. Having all saves in one place makes it a lot easier to find them instead of having to dig around on a game to game basis.

This is the correct solution to this. Nothing like shaking your C: drive with spacesniffer and have 4gigs of saves fall out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Somfin posted:

E: And before you ask, no, I've never needed to load an old save in a Bethesda game.

You've never had a game stopping bug that forced you to revert to an earlier save? Lucky man

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

You've never had a game stopping bug that forced you to revert to an earlier save? Lucky man

I get bored and tap out within ~5 hours or so most of the time. I've never had to load a save older than the most recent one.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Was the Nul-Sleep thing a glitch? That sounds like they hosed up a variable.

No, I just don't think they knew what else to call it. It specifically lets you avoid any attack while you're asleep. It's a super dumb gimmick skill. Meanwhile Null Ailment would stop you from being put to sleep instead.

Hel posted:

Yeah but it's only comparatively recently that SSDs have become more affordable and a lot more people are running a small one with a bigger HDD for installing poo poo on. So it gets frustrating when programs keep deciding to put half their content on the disk that has much less space, and won't let you change it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Somfin posted:

No, I was the one that was annoyed that I had to play a Super Mario Galaxy level without save states (because if you aren't saving regularly, you're in the wrong, regardless of game) because the emulator wasn't working. Reading is a skill, I suppose.

Hel posted:

But really if you want to solve that you can have windows relocate the Documents folder to another drive if you want.

My Documents folder is already on a drive other than my mostly-just-Windows directory. That way, most games don't install things to that drive.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Barudak posted:

Thanks press turn system, which is designed to swing extremely hard if your not optimized for it. It was unbelievably egregious in SMTIV where if the game assigned you Walter as your partner during the Minotaur fight you were better off quitting and reloading immediately.

That happened to me first time I fought the Minotaur. I was thinking "Why do people find this boss so difficult?", then Walter used agi and the Minotaur proceeded to wipe my party.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

The Moon Monster posted:

The battle system in Persona 5 is kind of butt, in some respects. Lots of enemy encounters can wipe your party in one lucky turn (or kill your leader anyway, which results in a game over) and throw you back an annoyingly long way to the last save point.This usually isn't a problem, since you can wipe them in one turn first by exploiting their weaknesses to use baton passes and all out attacks. But some enemies have no weaknesses at all, and against them you pretty much have to get lucky and hope for a crit. There are moves that boost your crit rate, but they're unreliable.

Since there's like a 5% chance that not wiping out the enemy immediately will result in a game over I'm now just running from all encounters with enemies that don't have weaknesses. Sucks, but I don't really want to roll the dice on losing half an hour of progress.

Usually if an enemy has no elemental weakness, they are extra susceptible to status effects. Also, do not neglect your -kaja spells. They are actually incredibly good even if they sound underwhelming.

I agree that it's lovely that one unlucky turn has a good chance of causing a game over. I can't believe that for all the quality of life improvements P5 has, you still instantly lose if the MC goes down. Hell, I'd settle for a three-turn timer.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
The Long Dark's difficulty modes.

Other than the two easiest difficulties, you options are:

1) Stalker. This means you get plenty of loot, but in exchange there are wolves EVERYWHERE. Like, step outside your base, there's a wolf. Here's a wolf. Three wolves behind that tree.

2) Interloper. Way fewer but more deadly wolves and worse weather, but there's basically no loot anywhere, which makes exploration really boring. The best loot doesn't spawn at all.

At least for me, scavenging is the most fun part of the game, but constantly having to dodge swarms of wolves ruins it. It's such an easily fixable problem too, just have a setting with the loot levels from stalker and the enemy frequency and deadliness from interloper.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Persona 5: The lack of an ability to set a default Persona that you enter all battles with. Maybe you've got one that's just strong defensively due to having no weaknesses, or you've got one that autocasts a buff spell on your entire party when you enter combat. Regardless of exactly why you're going to have ones that you're usually going to want to have set by default, and you have to keep going into the menu to switch to it if you changed mid-fight like you're definitely going to do because that's kind of your main character's whole thing.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MisterBibs posted:

My Documents folder is already on a drive other than my mostly-just-Windows directory. That way, most games don't install things to that drive.

This is the best protip for SSD runs OS, old platter drive runs everything else. Move your profile to the non-SSD disk.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Watch Dogs 2 : it seems dumb that I can escape the police by hiding in the uniquely customized car that I just stole and that they're specifically looking for.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

My Lovely Horse posted:

Watch Dogs 2 : it seems dumb that I can escape the police by hiding in the uniquely customized car that I just stole and that they're specifically looking for.

My favourite examples of this kind of stupidity:

Prototype - the special forces looking for a shape shifting superhuman being aren't suspicious when their commander jumps 200 feet in the air.

Hitman: Blood Money - Guards open fire on you because you're holding a chef knife.....in the kitchen.....while dressed as a chef.

Speaking of Watch Dogs I've had way too much trouble unlocking the final gang hideout like many players. There's just no reason for it to be so drat hard.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SkeletonHero posted:

Usually if an enemy has no elemental weakness, they are extra susceptible to status effects. Also, do not neglect your -kaja spells. They are actually incredibly good even if they sound underwhelming.

I agree that it's lovely that one unlucky turn has a good chance of causing a game over. I can't believe that for all the quality of life improvements P5 has, you still instantly lose if the MC goes down. Hell, I'd settle for a three-turn timer.

I had no idea they were weak to status spells, I figured they were completely useless like in every other JRPG. The kaja spells are great but I'm not going to start using them for random encounters, that would increase the length to the point where it's more efficient to just run.

I was just running through the final (?) dungeon when I ran into a Thor and Dionysus. I was at full health but Dionysus has no weakness so when I failed to crit him Thor got up and used maziodyne, paralyzing most of my party, and then Dionysus attacked the MC who died and I lost. Funny thing about the way checkpoints work in this game, if you die during a miniboss fight you can just start the fight over but if you die during a regular fight you get sent back to the last save point, which can send you back to before you fought the miniboss. The boss fights are pretty trivial but I've been 1-rounded by random encounters several times and I always lose like half an hour.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Jul 14, 2017

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I had no idea they were weak to status spells, I figured they were completely useless like in every other JRPG. The kaja spells are great but I'm not going to start using them for random encounters, that would increase the length to the point where it's more efficient to just run.

I was just running through the final (?) dungeon when I ran into a Thor and Dionysus. I was at full health but Dionysus has no weakness so when I failed to crit him Thor got up and used maziodyne, paralyzing most of my party, and then Dionysus attacked the MC who died and I lost. Funny thing about the way checkpoints work in this game, if you die during a miniboss fight you can just start the fight over but if you die during a regular fight you get sent back to the last save point, which can send you back to before you fought the miniboss. The boss fights are pretty trivial but I've been 1-rounded by random encounters several times and I always lose like half an hour.

You see how the enemies often put status effects on you and it fucks you up? Atlus games have always made them work the same when you use them. Hitting it up with status effects has always been a great way to crack a tough non-boss. And even some bosses are susceptible in some of the games.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Slime posted:

You see how the enemies often put status effects on you and it fucks you up? Atlus games have always made them work the same when you use them. Hitting it up with status effects has always been a great way to crack a tough non-boss. And even some bosses are susceptible in some of the games.

Well, they gently caress me up when they work on me, but they seem to fail about 50% of the time they're used on me. My success rate against enemies is similar, which brings me back to the same problem I had with the critical moves. Never seen them work on a boss, but I don't try very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

My Lovely Horse posted:

Trust me, this is a blessing when you're trying to evade maxed out manhunts - especially when bounty hunters get involved.