Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
To the surprise of no one the whole Greek-"help" scheme was a great deal for Germany and Austria. 1.34 billion and 240 million respectively for the state directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I am quite frankly shocked. I thought forum poster Gaussiancupola had told us all in detail of the generosity of the German state and Mr Schäuble in particular, and the huge sacrifices Germany has made in helping the profligate Greek people overcome their massive state debts (by loaning to them at very competetive rates) Surely this is all libelous fake news and will be debunked in detail shortly.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decius posted:

To the surprise of no one the whole Greek-"help" scheme was a great deal for Germany and Austria. 1.34 billion and 240 million respectively for the state directly.
Time for you to learn the difference between cash flows and profit. Germany owns e70bn of Greek government bonds with interest rates far below what Greece would pay on the market. If you compare what Germany could do with that money vs what it's doing now, it's making a huge economic loss, even if the bonds are repaid in full.

Pluskut Tukker posted:

Well sure, but you could have thrown this accusation too at the 17th-century Dutchmen spending their life savings on tulip bulbs or the 18th-century Englishmen and Frenchmen getting caught up in the South Sea Company bubble or the schemes of John Law . Or, more recently, most of the population of Albania falling for pyramid schemes in the 1990s, or the dot.com bubble of that time. And, of course, the 2000s housing bubble, or any of the other crises documented for instance by Reinhart & Rogoff for the last 800 years. People are persistently stupid with money, no matter their level of education. That's essentially an unfixable problem, so it's of very limited use to blame them. By now, it should also be clear that it's an entirely foreseeable problem. Give enough people access to cheap credit, and the consequences will inevitably be disastrous.

Moreover, people get punished, *hard*, when they take out mortgages they can't afford, even when the main reason they can't afford it is beyond their control. Foreclosure is horrible, and in the US it happened to close to ten million homeowners between 2006-14, with millions more left in stress because their mortgage went under water as a result of the crisis. And of course there has been amazing misery in the eurozone periphery. But while many in the financial industry lost their job during the crisis, very few people in the financial industry were punished for their misbehaviour.

So holding people responsible is a mostly pointless endeavour. You're not going to change them. If you want to stop them from taking out irresponsible mortgages, raise the interest rate. However, with the knowledge accumulated over the years, there are rules we have learnt we can impose on the financial industry (though it's obviously a work in process) to limit their ability to blow up the economy. But that industry is far more organized and powerful than Joe Blow the individual homeowner, and can influence or help write the rules they have to live by, and entice regulators to be gentle to them by the promise of the revolving door-job. So it's far more important to make very clear exactly how much 'the banks' are to blame for the crisis.

Sure, I know it's a part of human nature, but it doesn't just hold for financial things. People make mistakes / have limited information all the time. In my opinion, just because it's part of human nature doesn't absolve people of the responsibility for their choices. Examples of this would include my favorite example of overeating, which has very real real consequences as well. Just because junk food is cheap and easily available doesn't mean that any individual has to eat it, even though we can predict that a lot of people will eat it.

As for the consequences to the financial industry: I think the people engaged in outright fraud etc. should have been punished harder, but when people call for "bankers" to suffer they seem to think that this means every single investment banker or trader that had absolutely nothing to do with mortgages should suffer (more than they did for example through job losses).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Do you think junk food and the negative societal consequences of the overeating thereof ought to lead to some kind of governmental action to protect people from themselves and protect society from those entirely foreseeable negative consequences?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Time for you to learn the difference between cash flows and profit. Germany owns e70bn of Greek government bonds with interest rates far below what Greece would pay on the market. If you compare what Germany could do with that money vs what it's doing now, it's making a huge economic loss, even if the bonds are repaid in full.

Which has zero bearing on the argument that the whole thing was a pretty good deal for Germany. Just because you could theroretically make even more money somewhere else, doesn't make the money you just made any less real.
With your whole posts here one could think you are the main stockholder of Deutsche Bank in the first place, considering how feverently you defend the capitalist mistakes since 2005 with faux naive questions.

Decius fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 13, 2017

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Time for you to learn the difference between cash flows and profit. Germany owns e70bn of Greek government bonds with interest rates far below what Greece would pay on the market.

The rates are indeed very competetive and reasonable and Greece getting a *great* deal. Huge profits for Greece. MAGA

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lollontee posted:

The rates are indeed very competetive and reasonable and Greece getting a *great* deal. Huge profits for Greece. MAGA

Shouldn't that be MGGA?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Maybe we should wait until all the loans that Germany (through intermediaries like the ESM) extended to Greece are repaid before calculating the profit Germany made on them. Additionally it should be noted that the biggest share of those profits (the SMP profits) would have been returned to Greece if they hadn't quit the 2nd bailout agreement in a hissyfit.

I guess on that account Varoufakis made 1billion Euro for the German taxpayer.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Germany will heroically deman the full repayment of all outstanding bonds before accepting any interest payments as being in fact, money. How lucky is Greece that it is blessed with such a creditor to be indebted to. The Greek people must be ever grateful to know that the interest they pay from their faxes in Euros, through the SWIFT bank trsnfer system from their accounts to the ECB and on to Germany, is in fact non-profit. They are non-profit euros, a new miraculous kind of Euro that is differentiated from regular old Euros by its recipient Germany, thus absolving the German people and government from any moral obligations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Geriatric Pirate posted:

time for you to learn that you have to actually pay for a riskless investment, and Germany and Austria got actally money out of theirs! they couldn't even come close to be doing the same thing with that money on the open market!

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Inescapable Duck posted:

Shouldn't that be MGGA?

Make Aegean nation great again!

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The last time Greece was actually good was when they were ancient

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

But when you think about it, don't they get more ancient as time passes?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Ahahaha holy poo poo, I got a good story for you

As you know, the European Medicines Agency is going to move out of the UK due to Brexit. As such, countries send their proposals of cities for establishing it.

Portugal was automatically gonna send Lisbon, because we're just assholes like that, everything goes to Lisbon, nothing to anywhere else. People from Porto rightfully protested, and the government decided to withdraw the Lisbon application completely and submit only Porto. This was always, as far as anyone knew, a fait diver, since no one ever thought the EMA was going to come to Portugal.

Turns out an internal survey of the EMA employees showed that the majority chose Lisbon a a destination. Heh. Tough luck, dudes!

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

orange sky posted:

Turns out an internal survey of the EMA employees showed that the majority chose Lisbon a a destination. Heh. Tough luck, dudes!

lol if you believe the opinion of the EMA employees has any relevance in this situation and it's not going to be a deal in the Council that decides where the EMA goes.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

GaussianCopula posted:

lol if you believe the opinion of the EMA employees has any relevance in this situation and it's not going to be a deal in the Council that decides where the EMA goes.

I mean yeah, I know it doesn't, but it's funny nonetheless

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Byzantine Empire was great even in the medieval period.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Torrannor posted:

The only reason people have a rosy eyed view of Byzantium is that they can't bring themselves to admit that the caliphate was superior in every way. Hell, by the time of the Crusades, Sicily was probably a better place to be.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Sorry but no - Greece basically stopped being relevant after they got conquered by Macedonia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Torrannor posted:

When it was great it wasn't Greek, but Latin speaking Roman. Then, almost immediately after making Greek the official language of the empire, they got their asses kicked and started on their long decline into nothingness.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Maybe we should wait until all the loans that Germany (through intermediaries like the ESM) extended to Greece are repaid before calculating the profit Germany made on them. Additionally it should be noted that the biggest share of those profits (the SMP profits) would have been returned to Greece if they hadn't quit the 2nd bailout agreement in a hissyfit.

Didn't Germany also forced greek government to privatise a lot which benefited the Germany private world immensely?

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

SA_Avenger posted:

Didn't Germany also forced greek government to privatise a lot which benefited the Germany private world immensely?

They valiantly took upon themselves the risk of bringing the glories of more capitalism to Greece and should therefore be allowed to reap their rewards.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

SA_Avenger posted:

If you consider leasing 14 regional airports, that require a shitload of investment, after an open bidding process, something that benefits the German private world (which is not private because Fraport is mostly state-owned) immensely, then yes. But I would disagree.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

orange sky posted:

I assume EMA employees get paid the same regardless of where they get located? If so Lisbon being their preference doesn't really surprise me. Portugal is a lot cheaper than a lot of Europe, the weather is nice, and there is a good amount of culture and things to do.

If I could take my US salary and live in Lisbon I'd do it in a heartbeat.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

When it was great it wasn't Greek, but Latin speaking Roman. Then, almost immediately after making Greek the official language of the empire, they got their asses kicked and started on their long decline into nothingness.

Look at all these wrong words in a row.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

9-Volt Assault posted:

Look at all these wrong words in a row.

Byzantium had to ask the pope to do the crusades because between normans and turks they were getting their teeth kicked in.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

Byzantium had to ask the pope to do the crusades because between normans and turks they were getting their teeth kicked in.

That was five hundred years after the fall of the Western Roman Empire; there was a lot of the Eastern Empire going up and down and up again in the meantime.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

lost in postation posted:

That was five hundred years after the fall of the Western Roman Empire; there was a lot of the Eastern Empire going up and down and up again in the meantime.

None of which was particularly glorious but them again I'm an iconoclast contrarian who thinks Rome was an evil empire.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

GEMorris posted:

I assume EMA employees get paid the same regardless of where they get located? If so Lisbon being their preference doesn't really surprise me. Portugal is a lot cheaper than a lot of Europe, the weather is nice, and there is a good amount of culture and things to do.

If I could take my US salary and live in Lisbon I'd do it in a heartbeat.

There's a salary adjustment but I suppose it's not brutal. I think the lack of terrorist attacks also pushes a lot of people to Lisbon, even tourists (we had a YoY increase of 7% in tourism in May, and it only looks like it's increasing even more). It's hip right now, we gotta make the best of it :)

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
How well can you live there on English only, with no Portuguese language skills at all?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

How well can you live there on English only, with no Portuguese language skills at all?

No actual Portuguese people live in Lisbon, so you don't need to speak the local dialect.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

None of which was particularly glorious but them again I'm an iconoclast contrarian who thinks Rome was an evil empire.

Sure, but calling the history of a political structure that existed for more than a thousand years a "long decline" seems a bit myopic for people living in comparably super young states.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Sure, but calling the history of a political structure that existed for more than a thousand years a "long decline" seems a bit myopic for people living in comparably super young states.
The Kingdom of Denmark is about as old as the Eastern Roman Empire was when it was finally conquered. (Little younger if you count from Constantinople as capital, little older if you count from the fall of the western empire.)

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Lisbon's getting a lot of location independent tech workers moving there these days for similar reasons. Good weather, safe, nice city, very cheap by Western European standards. Its going to be very hip within 3-5 years I'd say.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

And like half of that history was either decline or a collection of petty states claiming to be the real deal.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Blut posted:

Lisbon's getting a lot of location independent tech workers moving there these days for similar reasons. Good weather, safe, nice city, very cheap by Western European standards. Its going to be very hip within 3-5 years I'd say.

Lisbon is amazing, but when "a lot of tech workers" arrive, "hip" is already over.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

orange sky posted:

There's a salary adjustment but I suppose it's not brutal. I think the lack of terrorist attacks also pushes a lot of people to Lisbon, even tourists (we had a YoY increase of 7% in tourism in May, and it only looks like it's increasing even more). It's hip right now, we gotta make the best of it :)

Terrorist attacks, seriously? Do people consider this when moving now?

Your chance of being killed by lightning is probably roughly in the same range as terrorist attacks

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Terrorist attacks, seriously? Do people consider this when moving now?

Your chance of being killed by lightning is probably roughly in the same range as terrorist attacks

Its not just the likelihood of actually dying in a terror attack. Its the other damage a city suffers from them: people are more on edge, armed police are everywhere, police are more likely to shoot first, ask questions later, lengthy security theatre on public transport... etc.

London is only going to get more and more unpleasant to live in if terror attacks keep happening, even if the likelihood of dying in one remains low.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Agnosticnixie posted:

"evil empire" is a pleonasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I thought I read somewhere Portugal ran out of money