Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

alphabettitouretti posted:

"Sarah Connor I uh have come from the um future to uhh save you from a erm uh machine uprising."

"You're from the future? Is Star Citizen out yet?"

"uh two weeks"

Wrong Arnie movie.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XY5KTVA_2ys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel for animation work that would look impressive and make Shitizens go "wow, these mechanics are great" and then dream about where else the fluid gravity would be applied, while no such mechanic is actually being implemented by CIG and there is no intend to apply it elsewhere -- at least not as a re-usable mechanic.

Either that or they are updating last year's fake demo, to re-use in GamesCom and show all the great progress and fidelity improvements they've been working on*.

*playable by the end of the year. Or, you know, soon.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
I wonder how long they spent on the last 10 minutes of cutscenes, totally unscripted ingame guys.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AiNxbv-a9s

so good! the voice acting is excellent, i can hear genuine emotion and can visualize what they're sharing. Cinematography is excellent, music is wonderful. Everything about this is fantastic! if SQ42 is anything like this throughout the whole game... i.. i have no words.

Seriously, how is it these assholes are still making bullshots instead of working on a loving game?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

D_Smart posted:

Seriously, how is it these assholes are still making bullshots instead of working on a loving game?

But making a game is haaaard and working on it requires effort.
You people and your unreasonable demands! :colbert:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Bullshots make them money, it's sets the whales into 'dream' mode and lossens their grip on their wallets, the game itself is likely to have the total opposite effect. :)

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

D_Smart posted:

they have 350+ people now, how many of them are artists who can make bull shots and how many of them are programming engineers who can make the game?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

D_Smart posted:

You're just jealous, just wait, two weeks

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Tippis posted:

But that's really not how water behaves. It's more like some kind of thin-skinned gel capsule.

Granted, that would probably be preferable in space so it doesn't fly off into the machinery quite so easily, but still…

That's a glass of gravity goop. You drink it so you poo in the right direction

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

That's a glass of gravity goop. You drink it so you poo in the right direction

Aside from the absolute hilarious nonsense of the concept in general, that's probably the most sensible explanation I've seen for anything CIG has ever produced.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I'm going to play a new snowflake Space Marine chapter in the new 40k edition, the Gravity Drinkers

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

D_Smart posted:

LOL

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

No actually make that the Gravity Shitters

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Daztek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AiNxbv-a9s

so good! the voice acting is excellent, i can hear genuine emotion and can visualize what they're sharing. Cinematography is excellent, music is wonderful. Everything about this is fantastic! if SQ42 is anything like this throughout the whole game... i.. i have no words.

Dunno, looks like Quake 4 to me.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Bofast posted:

Perhaps, though I think Japan invented the genre with Sokoban back in the early 80s?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

alphabettitouretti posted:

When they first moved in that office had a sign on the door that said "The Black Room". I don't know if this was ever explained. Perhaps they meant "black hole room". Or Sandi had designated it as the space for all their non-white employees.

"Tickler Room" would've been too obvious.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

D_Smart posted:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

I think I might secretly be German… :ohdear:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tippis posted:

I think I might secretly be German… :ohdear:

Not until you have all Train Simulator DLC

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Simulators in general, sure, but are any of those specifically about moving boxes?
Besides, it would be hilarious if CIG just archers a 1982 game for their cargo system.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Not until you have all Train Simulator DLC

Isn't that like $5000 worth of DLC?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Bofast posted:

Had to look, $6700.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Bofast posted:

€5 176,19 according to Steam, whatever that is in silly money.

e:f;b

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

that's less than half a completionist* package, nbd

*completionist package not actually complete

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
that's a lotta train

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TheAgent posted:

that's a lotta train

Nah. Only about half of it is train, the rest is track.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

boviscopophobic posted:

Ben talks about it at the start of RtV ep 5 (2014/07/17), so it would have been some other show on or shortly before this date.

A YouTube comment on AtV ep 1.06 refers to "Deutschland uber alles" at 1:02, where there is a jarring jump cut.

Hmmmm. I wonder if it's saved anywhere.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

D_Smart posted:

I'll only buy Line Of Defense once I've seen some bullshots :colbert:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Getting some laughs reading that Lumberyard article from yesterday.

I like this quote:

quote:

“We will be able to do a lot more for Star Citizen and Squadron 42 without being concerned about the cost”

Whew, I always knew CIG was frugal with funds.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Quavers posted:

I'll only buy Line Of Defense once I've seen some bullshots :colbert:

he posts them in this thread all the time though you may have mistaken them for some random shots from a 2002 budget game.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My fav part of the liquid physics and jackets and stuff is it clearly shows how little work they've been doing. They can't even cobble a single NPC together without having to entirely create him and his props from scratch.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Percelus posted:

i really liked dune and when i tried reading the next book in the series i didn't even get past 100 pages before quitting in disgust

Dune and Children are where you should really stop. God Emperor was interesting, but the entire premise is the golden path was a mistake, so it's effectively the titular Godhead realising that he has to die (after 10,000 years of dicking around and _destroying the imperium_) to reset. I think it's one of the few books I've thrown away.

Dune itself was a masterwork. Children was an interesting sidestep.

Happy deskeletonisation day, guuns.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
So I'm reading some old design notes after some redditor sent me his entire list of gameplay features: https://pastebin.com/9U1PzfNV

There is so much wrong with https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14974-Design-The-Endeavor and https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14522-Design-Notes-Mining

For one they describe what could be entire games within a game, and whoever wrote these did not run it by the game engineers even once. There is so much complexity here.
Another thing is they didn't ask themselves if any of this would be fun. Mining attracts a certain type of person that just wants to idly click for progress, not a 5 man team constantly on the verge of certain death for mining too quickly. I guess in the future nobody has figured out a way to stop the laser before the asteroid blows up. Also why would an asteroid blow up? :wtc:

Added to tracker:
  • Science Profession
  • Plants grow from seeds; require soil, water, and fertilizer
  • Lighting, radiation, temperature effect plants species differently
  • Scan the universe using infrared, visible, and gamma spectrum
  • Long range probes
  • Detect distant anomalies over time
  • Discover new navigation points of interest
  • Share or sell exploration data
  • Mining Profession
  • Asteroid fields containing ore
  • Hidden mining locations
  • Scanning asteroids
  • Complex mining gameplay
  • Asteroid tremors
  • Analytical Materials Processor
  • Cargo operator gameplay
  • Onboard refineries
  • Mining assistance provided by players and NPCs
  • Storage facilities

Could use help with data entry. :negative:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Refund Cascade is my alt-rock band name

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
yup, all about the money, always with this bunch. they are right though, I think there probably will be a very temp bubble that happens when 3.0 hits the PTU (whenever that will be), which will allow people to finally cash out of this train wreck

the true believers are going to be the ones left holding the bag of starship jpgs as everyone else breathes a sigh of relief they managed to offload their worthless inventory just in time

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Virtual Captain posted:

So I'm reading some old design notes after some redditor sent me his entire list of gameplay features: https://pastebin.com/9U1PzfNV

I assume you have the supercollider and telescope?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Captain posted:

There is so much wrong with https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14974-Design-The-Endeavor and https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14522-Design-Notes-Mining

For one they describe what could be entire games within a game, and whoever wrote these did not run it by the game engineers even once. There is so much complexity here.
Another thing is they didn't ask themselves if any of this would be fun. Mining attracts a certain type of person that just wants to idly click for progress, not a 5 man team constantly on the verge of certain death for mining too quickly. I guess in the future nobody has figured out a way to stop the laser before the asteroid blows up. Also why would an asteroid blow up? :wtc:

Added to tracker:
  • Science Profession
  • Plants grow from seeds; require soil, water, and fertilizer
  • Lighting, radiation, temperature effect plants species differently
  • Scan the universe using infrared, visible, and gamma spectrum
  • Long range probes
  • Detect distant anomalies over time
  • Discover new navigation points of interest
  • Share or sell exploration data
  • Mining Profession
  • Asteroid fields containing ore
  • Hidden mining locations
  • Scanning asteroids
  • Complex mining gameplay
  • Asteroid tremors
  • Analytical Materials Processor
  • Cargo operator gameplay
  • Onboard refineries
  • Mining assistance provided by players and NPCs
  • Storage facilities

Could use help with data entry. :negative:
I shall name you Master Tracker. There's also a position open as my Personal Historian.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheAgent posted:

I shall name you Master Tracker. There's also a position open as my Personal Historian.

How good's the pay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I just want to know if we get to dance together.