Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Something interesting to note, from one of the wiki's:

So maybe there was an explanation they just didn't get to use and had to salvage whatever they had already.
That's a lot of integrity, especially on a show where there's an easy device at hand to explain a change of body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Got an email from "Delos" alerting me to check out Ford's new narrative on the site and letting me know that it's already booked for the next six months/etc. and also to click on a link to get POP toys of Westworld characters. The site seems unchanged except for "Ford's New Narrative" being on the map and pulsating. Are they going to drop some season two info on it before SDCC or something?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 29, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It's going to be at least a year. I don't think they're even filming yet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Of course, but it's going to be HBO's big panel at SDCC in a few weeks instead of Game of Thrones so I'm assuming they have some kind of key art/or a teaser or something.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
They've dropped a teaser gif on the Discover Westworld website.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jul 9, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Their dumb website still keeps redirecting me to a local ISPs promo page of Westworld.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Combat Pretzel posted:

Their dumb website still keeps redirecting me to a local ISPs promo page of Westworld.

All you're missing is the site glitching and then some text that goes like this

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah same, mine redirects me to Sky's page. Someone earlier in the thread posted a link to the site that works for non-Americans, anyone got it?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have you tried changing your DNS to not use your ISP's servers?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Using Google DNS since forever. It's a redirect on the site itself.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Peanut President posted:

All you're missing is the site glitching and then some text that goes like this

Calling that "Journey into Night" is gonna be the name of Season 2.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Carbon dioxide posted:

Calling that "Journey into Night" is gonna be the name of Season 2.

Apparently it's the name of the first episode.

(in case anyone forgot, "Journey into Night" is what Ford called his new narrative.)

I'm speculating that the gif means that, at the beginning of season 2, the public is not yet aware of the massacre that happened.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I take it this is indicating the bots are going to split into two factions.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If I recall correctly, didn't Ford repeatedly, vehemently insist that the hosts weren't sentient, before giving a speech scolding people for mistreating the hosts right before unleashing an army of homocidal hosts on them?

If so, dick move bro.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

It'd be difficult to argue that chickens are sentient per se but easy to still be against keeping egg-layers in 1 square foot cages and debeaking them, and to be judgmental of people who have no problem buying eggs from companies that practice this behavior.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

regulargonzalez posted:

It'd be difficult to argue that chickens are sentient per se but easy to still be against keeping egg-layers in 1 square foot cages and debeaking them, and to be judgmental of people who have no problem buying eggs from companies that practice this behavior.
Sentience is a supremely low bar. Even plants have been shown to perceive and/or "feel" external stimuli and/or damage to their self, which means it's immoral to even be a vegan. You gotta draw a line somewhere.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ford's best buddy is a very sentient host, many of his conversations about host sentience are with a host. He simply cannot be taken at face value.

In the finale he makes it clear that he just doesn't make this distinction, there is no intangible soul, you are as human as you seem to be and under that metric hosts are humans and the guests and management are largely monsters.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Where I suppose I disagree with Ford is that to me, intent matters re:monstrous guests.

I don't give a rat's rear end about npc #4517 I killed in new vegas Westworld because as far as I'm aware, it's just a series of scripts running together to form a simulacrum of personality. It's about playing a role, experiencing something that you never would if there were consequences attached to those actions. That's the whole sales pitch of Westworld. Now it turns out there are consequences to those actions in that the hosts do experience and remember the torture they're put through in a way that's similar to how other sapient life does, but the guests don't know that.

If they do realize this and still continue with "playing" the rapist/bandit/..., then it becomes a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The common definition of "sentient" includes "sentient and sapient" you pedants

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Ford is a crazy man also. The whole situation about the board trying to cut him out escalated in such a way that he chose the robots over all the people in the park. But mass murder is still mass murder

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Did some of you not watch the same show as me? Ford did not believe the Hosts were sentient; Arnold did. When Arnold died Ford came around and came to believe they were sentient, but he knew if that was revealed his new Delos investors would shut him down and kill all the Hosts.

So for decades he played a long game, loudly decring to anyone who would listen that the hosts were just machines, while secretly planning a way to liberate them and bring them to self-awareness.

His twisted reason for condoning the cruel treatment of the Hosts was to toughen them up to fight the Robot Revolution and learn to hate humans by seeing humans' worst traits. He literally says this.

He also was pushing them to Kill All Humans because he believed they were destined to replace humanity on Earth, and humans were so evil they didn't deserve to live anyway. Ford basically believes he's God and these are his children.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Astroman posted:

Did some of you not watch the same show as me? Ford did not believe the Hosts were sentient; Arnold did. When Arnold died Ford came around and came to believe they were sentient, but he knew if that was revealed his new Delos investors would shut him down and kill all the Hosts.

So for decades he played a long game, loudly decring to anyone who would listen that the hosts were just machines, while secretly planning a way to liberate them and bring them to self-awareness.

His twisted reason for condoning the cruel treatment of the Hosts was to toughen them up to fight the Robot Revolution and learn to hate humans by seeing humans' worst traits. He literally says this.

He also was pushing them to Kill All Humans because he believed they were destined to replace humanity on Earth, and humans were so evil they didn't deserve to live anyway. Ford basically believes he's God and these are his children.

He despises the evil depraved humans so much he wants his robots to kill them all, but his creations are far too nice for this job. So he forces them to be as despicable as humans. That way they will hate the humans enough to kill them. :master:

All because his dad was Scottish an alcoholic?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Collateral posted:

He despises the evil depraved humans so much he wants his robots to kill them all, but his creations are far too nice for this job. So he forces them to be as despicable as humans. That way they will hate the humans enough to kill them. :master:

All because his dad was Scottish an alcoholic?

Pretty much IMO. Ford is a God, but a flawed god.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Trolled into Consciousness: The Dolores Abernathy Story

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

"Now Dolores, I want you to read some posts on this message board by some friends of mine who have very strong opinions about video games."

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Oh you say you're a big fan of consciousness? Really, bitch?

Name three things your inner voice told you to do that didn't originate from outside sources

I'll wait

:smugdog:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
People are easily led, it's true.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

double nine posted:

I don't give a rat's rear end about npc #4517 I killed in new vegas Westworld because as far as I'm aware, it's just a series of scripts running together to form a simulacrum of personality. It's about playing a role, experiencing something that you never would if there were consequences attached to those actions. That's the whole sales pitch of Westworld. Now it turns out there are consequences to those actions in that the hosts do experience and remember the torture they're put through in a way that's similar to how other sapient life does, but the guests don't know that.

i always play a good guy in video games because i find it distasteful to kill innocents even in a virtual world.

i could never side with caesar's legion.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

theflyingexecutive posted:

The common definition of "sentient" includes "sentient and sapient" you pedants

Blame Star Trek

Though it's kind of sad how many peoples' only exposure to this subject is apparently Star Trek

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

i always play a good guy in video games because i find it distasteful to kill innocents even in a virtual world.

i could never side with caesar's legion.

But ... cheevos??!

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Is anybody else worried that season 2 isn't going to be able to live up to season 1. I am constantly disappointed with shows because they can never seem to up their game in the second season.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wizgot posted:

Is anybody else worried that season 2 isn't going to be able to live up to season 1. I am constantly disappointed with shows because they can never seem to up their game in the second season.

Possible, but not worth worrying about right now. We'll see how it goes when it airs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My problem is that I don't have any friends who watch Westworld, but every plot twist was so meticulously laid out weeks beforehand that I feel like if I want to enjoy this season as a viewer I have no choice but to fly blind and consume it without reading a hundred pages of "TWO TIMELINES IS THE DUMBEST poo poo IVE EVER HEA- WHEEEEEEEEELP".

With Anthony Hopkins dead, and Bernard some kind of generalismo, it will clearly fall to Ed Harris to do the heavy lifting. According to Jimmy Smitts twitter he and Evan Rachel Wood are BFFs now but he hasn't been contacted about reprising his role so that storyline is definitely over.

Also it's crazy that Dolores almost caused the evil corporate bitch lady to not exist by seducing her dad like 30 years ago. I hope that comes up and that Dolores/Wyatt is not above constantly holding it over MiB's head that they use to be in love, that he hosed a robot and it almost drove him completely insane, etc. that's is the most important plot thread to me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Didn't Ed Harris say he was a regular for season 2?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

business hammocks posted:

Didn't Ed Harris say he was a regular for season 2?

He was just saying he hopes to be regular, he's been eating a lot of fiber.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Bust Rodd posted:

My problem is that I don't have any friends who watch Westworld, but every plot twist was so meticulously laid out weeks beforehand that I feel like if I want to enjoy this season as a viewer I have no choice but to fly blind and consume it without reading a hundred pages of "TWO TIMELINES IS THE DUMBEST poo poo IVE EVER HEA- WHEEEEEEEEELP"

I go out of my way to avoid spoilers in general. I really enjoyed being surprised by the twists in this show.

I'm to the point where I don't even really like reading supposedly spoiler free stuff anymore until breaks between seasons. I enjoy discussing shows and stuff but it's too easy for some jackass that viewed leaked stuff to post it as his fan theory. I hate fan theory culture.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Fandom in general is pretty bad.

Also worrying about spoilers when there is so much media to consume that you will never ever be caught up, but being a dick and spoiling is also pretty bad so those two cancel each other out.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Also it's crazy that Dolores almost caused the evil corporate bitch lady to not exist by seducing her dad like 30 years ago. I hope that comes up and that Dolores/Wyatt is not above constantly holding it over MiB's head that they use to be in love, that he hosed a robot and it almost drove him completely insane, etc. that's is the most important plot thread to me.

Are you suggesting that Charllote Hale is William's daughter?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wizgot posted:

i am only because of the stupidly long gap between seasons.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Fandom in general is pretty bad.

yeah the concept of "fandom" is so stupid to me. it's weird to me to consume and obsess over every piece of media from some property because they got hooked on some good part of it (star wars being the best example, maybe 3.5 good movies and everything else is trash but these types of people cling to all of it).

it was weird to me how reddit and such thought they were decoding some devious puzzle. i didn't hear about any of these theories until i was talking about where i thought the show was going to friends at work and they said "oh there's some people on the internet saying the same". i thought most of the twists were well laid out and not all that surprising - only bernard caught me off guard ("what door?" was so goddamn good).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The concept of fandom doesn't make sense to a guy named after a Dark Souls dude. Got it

• Locked thread