Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

They'd have to nerf basically everything to balance a zoomed out camera, its not gonna happen

Lame excuse to retain the game's 2004 look-and-feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

lamentable dustman posted:

Baked chicken has been streaming ultra windscreen and its pretty funny. Hard to watch though

didnt he get banned

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

enraged_camel posted:

Lame excuse to retain the game's 2004 look-and-feel.

It doesn't look/feel bad to me.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

same

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

MMF Freeway posted:

If you don't mind a zoom level that's basically identical to that of Diablo 2, more power to you.

Contrast that to Grim Dawn for example, which is far more user-friendly:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

It's a balance thing. The more you see, the more powerful ranged builds become. It's also got a huge impact on racing.

E: Like, how the gently caress would you balance ranged builds zoomed out as far as your GD image is?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

PoE's camera distance is perfectly fine.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Your PoE image isn't even fully zoomed out. :colbert:

I'd also imagine that the area in which time passes has something to do with the zoom level as well. Further zoom out = more area visible = more area that needs to be "live" = more server strain.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
You're like one of those suburban moms with the blonde highlight that walks in and spends the whole meal complaining about how other restaurants are better

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

enraged_camel posted:

If you don't mind a zoom level that's basically identical to that of Diablo 2, more power to you.

Contrast that to Grim Dawn for example, which is far more user-friendly:

This might be the first time I've ever seen Grim Dawn referred to as user friendly. I mean it's a game with nearly as many crafting components as PoE but with storage space that, when fully upgraded, is equal to like 2? 3? PoE stash tabs worth of space. Good times.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 13, 2017

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Always feels good to check back in the thread and see everyone still talking about the important stuff! Desynch, Camera Zoom, resolution, lovely masters, etc!

It's been at least 2-3 months since I've read anything PoE related, well, at least until this morning when I remembered the countdown timer on POE.com from a few months ago... By the time I sat down at my computer and loaded up poe.com, I felt intoxicated with joy and elation. Obviously, these feelings were replaced with something darker once I realized that the timer must have been counting down until the CB release? Tis a drat shame really, and it looks like I'll be waiting until at least August for 3.0 correct?

I did see there was a fairly popular 2week race a couple weeks ago, and saw that another one is starting tomorrow? I haven't done a week + race in a really really long time, but this might be the perfect chance since I'm guessing there's just going to be races until 3.0 is finally released? I've been itching to play CI one last time before we forget that it was once a very viable defense.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

You're like one of those suburban moms with the blonde highlight that walks in and spends the whole meal complaining about how other restaurants are better

Then asks for a refund after eating everything.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Um, desync is long dead unless you have a completely garbage connection to their server and are forced into predictive mode.

Even then it's not really anywhere near as bad as it once was. Where were people talking about that?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Do I have to buy one of those founder pack things to actually get access to the beta? Would it even be worth it if it's releasing this month?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

10bux posted:

Always feels good to check back in the thread and see everyone still talking about the important stuff! Desynch, Camera Zoom, resolution, lovely masters, etc!

It's been at least 2-3 months since I've read anything PoE related, well, at least until this morning when I remembered the countdown timer on POE.com from a few months ago... By the time I sat down at my computer and loaded up poe.com, I felt intoxicated with joy and elation. Obviously, these feelings were replaced with something darker once I realized that the timer must have been counting down until the CB release? Tis a drat shame really, and it looks like I'll be waiting until at least August for 3.0 correct?

I did see there was a fairly popular 2week race a couple weeks ago, and saw that another one is starting tomorrow? I haven't done a week + race in a really really long time, but this might be the perfect chance since I'm guessing there's just going to be races until 3.0 is finally released? I've been itching to play CI one last time before we forget that it was once a very viable defense.

unless you play 24/7 CI will be p expensive for you, because demand is gonna be through the roof, so I wouldn't count on it (best bets would be Trickster or Occultist)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Deakul posted:

Do I have to buy one of those founder pack things to actually get access to the beta? Would it even be worth it if it's releasing this month?

Think that's the only way now.

And FoO won't be out until August.

e: https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/885609873416757248

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 13, 2017

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Goa Tse-tung posted:

unless you play 24/7 CI will be p expensive for you, because demand is gonna be through the roof, so I wouldn't count on it (best bets would be Trickster or Occultist)

You mean for the 2week race? Whenever I say I'm going to play CI I always mean after i hit 70-75+ and do a full respec. I've done CI in a few one week races before, and yeah usually pretty dependent on luck/good trading. Is CI going to be even more expensive since its getting nerfed to poo poo, or do you just mean its pricey in general? I like occultist a lot but im pretty addicted to pathfinder, ranger, inquis, and assassin atm.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

10bux posted:

You mean for the 2week race? Whenever I say I'm going to play CI I always mean after i hit 70-75+ and do a full respec. I've done CI in a few one week races before, and yeah usually pretty dependent on luck/good trading. Is CI going to be even more expensive since its getting nerfed to poo poo, or do you just mean its pricey in general? I like occultist a lot but im pretty addicted to pathfinder, ranger, inquis, and assassin atm.

CI is piss easy now. A lot of us did it in the 2week SSF race and it wasn't a problem at all. This all changes in 3.0 though.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I miss the old arcane surge already. No more triggering it with leapslam. Has to be a spell. I tried putting it in a CWDT setup, and it didn't trigger either. Guess it has to be a self-cast spell.

I think I am going to try an orb of storms, increased critical strikes, increased duration, arcane surge link for triggering elemental overload and arcane surge.

Edit: So I've tried ele buzzsaw raider and cwc firestorm berserker in beta now. Not sure which one I would start in a new league. The raider is clearly faster at clearing maps. Whirling blades + raider frenzy charge speed moves around maps waaay faster than berserker leapslam speed. The raider damage also has less delay, making for faster pack clearing. Downsides of the buzzsaw raider? Tougher to gear, compared to the berserker. Less resist all on the tree, need a good ele dps weapon, and you need a good amount of int on your gear.

The CWC firestorm berserker is a good bit easier to gear than the raider. Its single target damage is also much better. The raider struggles a bit against high hp bosses, though you can swap the GMP for slower projectiles. The big berserker vaal pact leech makes facetanking with the raider much easier. I feel like against hard endgame bosses, the berserker would fare much better for much less investment.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 14, 2017

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheRat posted:

CI is piss easy now. A lot of us did it in the 2week SSF race and it wasn't a problem at all. This all changes in 3.0 though.

you also aren't the normal goon tho

6L 600+ ES (or 5L 700+) chests will be out of range of people playing maybe 2 hours a day in the 2week

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Nor is dbk

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Well I am the normal goon, at least previously. I had only ever had a 5L before, and don't know the game as well as some of you.

I did just get ahold of a 6L searing touch in the beta though, which will probably now be my weapon forever. I am now running around with that, a belly, and kaom's roots shoes. Trying to pile on the hp.

I just took it into a tier 11 map, and this is what happened when I opened one of the chests. Makes me really appreciate the combination of cloaked in savagery and vaal pact. Wonder if it will see a nerf for 3.0.

My hp was bouncing around even more than the gif shows. Some of the big spikes were only a frame or two.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 14, 2017

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't get RF Totems. I think of all the builds I've ever played (including a bunch of totem ones and standard RF) RF totems has got to be the least fun.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone give this a once over and tell me if there's anywhere I could easily improve the build? It's an Ascendant based version of Mathil's Ele Sunder he did in SSF. My main concerns for the build are: with Mathil's gear he had on the character I only come out to 4k life and I'm not sure where I can squeeze out more with the tree I'm running. Maybe if I roll really good jewels? I'm also not sure what second Ascendancy to go. I'm going Raider first for the Frenzy Charges but then I'm not sure if I want to go Berserker(more damage and life leech but also risky with low life pool), Slayer(Safety with stuns, also has extra leech as well as Culling Strike) or Inquisitor(increased ele damage and crit chance against enemies I'd be igniiting, but I only have a 15% chance for that so I'm not sure). Here's the tree, if you take a look then I'd appreciate any help. My Bandit choices would be Oak/Kraityn/Kraityn but I might do Oak in Cruel for Phys Damage

Luna Was Here fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jul 14, 2017

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Why not drop some damage nodes and pick up blood drinker along with the extra frenzy charge there?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Filthy Monkey posted:

I just took it into a tier 11 map, and this is what happened when I opened one of the chests. Makes me really appreciate the combination of cloaked in savagery and vaal pact. Wonder if it will see a nerf for 3.0.

They have to imo, nerfing ES only would mean the big life zerkers would be simply too efficient (for non-hardcore).

And I bet they'll turn the general leech into attack leech, so you have to give up a gem or curse as a spellcasting zerker.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Luna Was Here posted:

Can someone give this a once over and tell me if there's anywhere I could easily improve the build? It's an Ascendant based version of Mathil's Ele Sunder he did in SSF. My main concerns for the build are: with Mathil's gear he had on the character I only come out to 4k life and I'm not sure where I can squeeze out more with the tree I'm running. Maybe if I roll really good jewels? I'm also not sure what second Ascendancy to go. I'm going Raider first for the Frenzy Charges but then I'm not sure if I want to go Berserker(more damage and life leech but also risky with low life pool), Slayer(Safety with stuns, also has extra leech as well as Culling Strike) or Inquisitor(increased ele damage and crit chance against enemies I'd be igniiting, but I only have a 15% chance for that so I'm not sure). Here's the tree, if you take a look then I'd appreciate any help. My Bandit choices would be Oak/Kraityn/Kraityn but I might do Oak in Cruel for Phys Damage
Not an expert on melee builds since I mostly do bow builds, but it seems the same principles hold true.
1) Path west between duelist and scion (probably opt for ranger start allocation when you have done uber lab and regret those pathing nodes)
2) Path south between duelist and ranger

This generally saves points.

Also, don't forget to grab jewels that you are pathing right past, they are always worth it once you can afford to slot in 2c jewels. I know it's probably an oversight, but it helps keeping track of your point budget.

I only spent a couple of minutes on this, so there's probably more / better changes that could be done but it does show there's quite a bit of life left right where you already are. I did give up Splitting Strikes for ranger life though.
https://www.poeplanner.com/AAgAAPkA...5chwXzv_QAAAAAA

Edit:
Looking at this again, it would actually be better to go east from Harrier to Vaal Pact.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 14, 2017

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

6L 600+ ES (or 5L 700+) chests will be out of range of people playing maybe 2 hours a day in the 2week

What's wrong with a 500 es chest that anyone can craft in a few minutes. You don't need top tier gear to have a solid amount of es for mapping.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Mr. Despair posted:

What's wrong with a 500 es chest that anyone can craft in a few minutes. You don't need top tier gear to have a solid amount of es for mapping.

I don't even believe you have enough time to start thinking about mapping when you play this little.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Quite frankly, Zana shouldn't even give you a map device unless your average playtime is 4+ hours a day.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

So your concern is that people who never reach maps won't be able to afford even a a cheap budget chest to map with?

I don't see the problem here.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I was wondering if there was any solution to my problem. Typically for my buttons, I've put my primary attack on m1, my movement on m2, and usually some sort of utility spell on middle click.

I was thinking about a weapon swap in order to travel more quickly when appropriate. Switching makes my primary skill disappear, which is fine, as it was socketed into my weapon.

Said skill doesn't return to that button when I swap back to my original weapon though. Do I need to put my primary on m2, in order to do that kind of swap, or is there some other method to keep the button arrangement I have now?

Osci
Oct 11, 2016
You can slot the same kind of skill gem that you use as you as your primary somewhere in your weapon swap.
That should save it. (assuming you have scorching ray on your m1 button on both swaps)

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

How much dough do I need to do vaal spark? I want to experience CI before it gets killed and I've got 350c~ to my name. I know the suggested uniques aren't too bad but es gear seems wild expensive

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Like anything in path, there are heavily diminishing returns with top end gear. Gg rare items are mostly like 5-10% better than affordable items that do the same job. For example, 750es chests are usually pretty affordable outside of the first week of a league, provided you don't also need like 80% resists or a 6L too. Just scale back your target stats until you can afford stuff.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

How much dough do I need to do vaal spark? I want to experience CI before it gets killed and I've got 350c~ to my name. I know the suggested uniques aren't too bad but es gear seems wild expensive

700 es unlinked chests are 10c and up, then you buy the 5l prophecy for ~30c and you're good to go. If you need a 6l you're looking at 600 es for 150+c. Brinerot Whalers, Voidbringer, Bated Breath, and The Gull will set you back about 15c total and all have endgame ES. 400 es shields start around 10c.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Martyr's Crown is also a good alternative hat to get a ton of ES.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Gull + The Covenant + Brinerot Whalers + Bated Breath are all under level 50 requirement and can easily have you farting around cruel with 5k+ ES.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I'm a big fan of spells that hit after a short delay (usually like a big aoe). Like some ground targeted aoe that explodes or whatever. Flameblast and earthquake look kinda cool

What other cool spells are there out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whalestory posted:

I'm a big fan of spells that hit after a short delay (usually like a big aoe). Like some ground targeted aoe that explodes or whatever. Flameblast and earthquake look kinda cool

What other cool spells are there out there

stormcall, maybe explosive arrow, maaaybe icecrash

• Locked thread