Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Virtual Captain posted:

So I'm reading some old design notes after some redditor sent me his entire list of gameplay features: https://pastebin.com/9U1PzfNV

There is so much wrong with https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14974-Design-The-Endeavor and https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14522-Design-Notes-Mining

For one they describe what could be entire games within a game, and whoever wrote these did not run it by the game engineers even once. There is so much complexity here.

Yeah, the something jones list hides a lot of detail behind some of the mechanisms that they were proposing.

I seem to recall that mixing drinks was an early minigame; scanning was another; this was one of the explosions of euphoria that gave rise to the _many_ _many_ professions that people were expecting to actually do. Like a drink-mixing minigame would require skill. Problem is that skill in most games is a measure of the player against the skill level of the game itself. Easy to control in a story-based game (How good is Prey at setting the game?), but difficult to do in an MMO.

MMOs themselves evolved to become the most efficient way to monetize maslow's heirarchy; gameplay entirely fell by the wayside in favor of timers that the invested player would throw money at to reduce or remove. BDO and Archeage were effectively death knells as the casual player drifted off to mobile.

The twin prongs of needing a hard-as-balls second-life for the truly invested and a more hand-holdy mode for the masses is going to compromise this thing hard.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How good's the pay?

How do you feel about a man's craggy mass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Virtual Captain posted:

So I'm reading some old design notes after some redditor sent me his entire list of gameplay features: https://pastebin.com/9U1PzfNV

There is so much wrong with https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14974-Design-The-Endeavor and https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14522-Design-Notes-Mining

For one they describe what could be entire games within a game, and whoever wrote these did not run it by the game engineers even once. There is so much complexity here.
Another thing is they didn't ask themselves if any of this would be fun. Mining attracts a certain type of person that just wants to idly click for progress, not a 5 man team constantly on the verge of certain death for mining too quickly. I guess in the future nobody has figured out a way to stop the laser before the asteroid blows up. Also why would an asteroid blow up? :wtc:

Added to tracker:
  • Science Profession
  • Plants grow from seeds; require soil, water, and fertilizer
  • Lighting, radiation, temperature effect plants species differently
  • Scan the universe using infrared, visible, and gamma spectrum
  • Long range probes
  • Detect distant anomalies over time
  • Discover new navigation points of interest
  • Share or sell exploration data
  • Mining Profession
  • Asteroid fields containing ore
  • Hidden mining locations
  • Scanning asteroids
  • Complex mining gameplay
  • Asteroid tremors
  • Analytical Materials Processor
  • Cargo operator gameplay
  • Onboard refineries
  • Mining assistance provided by players and NPCs
  • Storage facilities

Could use help with data entry. :negative:

Holy Lee Cow! This poo poo just writes itself now. I bet those rear end-clown Spergs have completely forgotten what they were promised.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Holy Lee Cow! This poo poo just writes itself now. I bet those rear end-clown Spergs have completely forgotten what they were promised.

It will come when it comes DeDe Splarf. Content locust.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Speaking of promises, how's that ELE coming along?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

can't even fly to different star systems or even planets yet, but somehow this is important

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

"Polaris sells at X" should read "People are trying to sell the Polaris at X, but ones that sell go for around $900, and lose a chunk through Paypal charges and Ebay charges, making the average net recovery about $750 which, when you compare it to the original price of a Polaris give you a massive profit of.... oh. Nothing.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

"I can get a clean refund in 2 days, or I can chance things go well on eBay and some shithead doesn't chargeback or PayPal claim me for the same money." - A Startard

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

How good's the pay?
whatever you can get on kickstarter for archiving the three boxes of garbage I have waiting for waste disposal

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I am hoping for The Morrow Tour - Redux as the next big reveal.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

http://archive.is/03tHH

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
ah yes, morrow, the actor that doesn't blink

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yes, you see, we planned so far ahead we created that fake reddit account two years ago so it could come post a fake refund on the 11 month old refunds subreddit. :laffo:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Xaerael posted:

"Polaris sells at X" should read "People are trying to sell the Polaris at X, but ones that sell go for around $900, and lose a chunk through Paypal charges and Ebay charges, making the average net recovery about $750 which, when you compare it to the original price of a Polaris give you a massive profit of.... oh. Nothing.

But the people giving CIG thousands of dollars are all very wealthy, and need an outlet for their 'hobby money'. Why would they care about grey market prices, or scrounging for the best deal?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

It's hard to strap ping pong balls onto eyelids.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sometimes this guy writes 5800 and other times he abbreviates it to 6k, like he was trying to write shorthand or sumtin.

Let's show this palooka whatfor, eh boss?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

Yes, you see, we planned so far ahead we created that fake reddit account two years ago so it could come post a fake refund on the 11 month old refunds subreddit. :laffo:

Everyone knows you simply bought a 2 year old account with all that goon money you have. The real secret's in the platinum forums, though.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yes, once the elite hivemind of top EVE players that run this account realized Chris Roberts, in a fit of genius, would destroy any hope we would have in running an MMO we knew some forum posts and :pgabz: videos wouldn't be enough. The only course of action was to fabricate every single interaction players have in Star Citizen 2.6.3, including the game itself.

First thing we disabled was the delta patcher. The next thing to go were the amazing gameplay mechanics involving hundreds of players in massive space and planetside battles. We also took the planets away. The frames per second would gently caress your mindhole if...if we uncapped them. But we control everything they see, everything they play. It's the only way to win against Chris Roberts and his brilliance. Unfortunately some backers see through the vast and matrix-like conspiracy, and glimpse the true sheen of Star Citizen. They continue to subvert our efforts at every chance.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

big nipples big life posted:

LOL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Imagine arguing World of Warcraft talent trees in while in alpha. Whenever you don't understand backers, just mentally replace them with model ship enthusiasts and it makes a whole lot more sense.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D1E posted:

LOL

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

:argh:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

*Marks it down on the chalkboard*

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Is mirth banned now?

Truly the Stimpire arrived quickly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I'm thinking today is the day we find out the SC is right on schedule.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

Is mirth banned now?

Truly the Stimpire arrived quickly.

It's part of our slow transition to a thread dedicated solely for archival purposes. Much like /r/dereksmart, the only things allowed here will soon be:
  • Screenshots of Reddit or Twitter
  • Personal attacks
  • Unhealthy obsessions with other posters' genitalia

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

It's part of our slow transition to a thread dedicated solely for archival purposes. Much like /r/dereksmart, the only things allowed here will soon be:
  • Screenshots of Reddit or Twitter
  • Personal attacks

pls change your name to Jester Wagon

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

12 to go

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lo... just kidding

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lol
lo... just kidding

Grand Prize has already been claimed, sorry. Sign up for the mailing list and we'll alert you at the beginning of the next The Post Is Right contest!

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

way, way, way, way ahead of you there.

MinorInconvenience
Feb 24, 2017

Criminal lawyer or criminal, lawyer. Yeah. No difference.

Unbelievable. The amount of insane rationalizations necessary to look at the post history, with numerous two-year old posts demonstrating actual trades for ship jpegs on /r/starcitizen_trades, and argue it is a fake shill account is scary. I hope I don't meet any of these idiots in real life.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Actually what happens if you urinates after drinking a cup of gravity
Will you take off if you sin your dick around

edit:
Cat tax on this excellent post, a picture of myself and a feline

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Stimpire Day special --> 14 lol's earns you the right to purchase an upgrades skeleton replacement from 'liquid metal' skeleton to gravity goo

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fuckin' ELEs how do they work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFabsRFnWy0

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Has anyone attempted to say Derp Snark 3 times in a mirror?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I just did, I heard "Let me loving finish" in a spooky voice from the shower

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ayn Marx posted:

I just did, I heard "Let me loving finish" in a spooky voice from the shower

That was me sorry man

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MinorInconvenience posted:

Unbelievable. The amount of insane rationalizations necessary to look at the post history, with numerous two-year old posts demonstrating actual trades for ship jpegs on /r/starcitizen_trades, and argue it is a fake shill account is scary. I hope I don't meet any of these idiots in real life.

Are we pissed as hell that CiG won't allow us an EvE Online[sic] gankers wet dream?

I doubt it. if they continue to accept real world money it just becomes a more enjoyable game to gank in. Hell, we _went after_ titans because of the real-world value. The other thing is that this is a fairly typical reaction to the Eve player that got ganked, then put it down to goons. Bitch, I was a goon and we just got ganked by the Russians, or the leaderships LoL buddies. Immunize yourself against the loss and you simply have a score. This game comes out, we'll figure out a way to harvest tears and salt.

Hell, we'll be in every major player organization within hours of launch, it's just that "playing" this "game" is like punching yourself in the dick at the moment, and it's funnier looking at the shortfall between the dreams and the reality. poo poo, go look at an Eve trailer and remember trawling around 0.0 looking for fleets, or doing drat logistics. Game is bad, except when it's good and it's chewed up and spat out 'DisturbedJim' and his ilk.

Ayn Marx posted:

Cat tax on this excellent post, a picture of myself and a feline

Doxxed your knee there.

A bone. On this day of days.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 14, 2017

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot
Todays gonna be a good day for star citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett